ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MY 1st Clio, BLACK Ph2 172. Lots of pics!

Transit & Death trap
Here's my black ph2 172, I bought this after a brief stint as a GSXR owner(really wasn't for me), I spent a while looking for a half decent Clio within budget and eventually found this down Portsmouth way.
One owner from new, full dealer service history and old MOT's. It does have its issues, but the main thing for me was, both belts done (last year), regularly serviced engine, body panels weren't covered with dents and appeared to be in perfect condition(but things change), as most I viewed were fairly crap tbh, plus it was black!
I had no real plan as such, but always liked the idea of doing track days and after spending 2yrs prior to owning the bike, building a stripped out 2.0L carbbed XE Vauxhall Astra that never made it out on track, I thought the Clio would be a good solid base to finally get myself on the track and have a capable fast road car.
I only bought it this July and its changed quit a bit, here's the car when I first brought it home,
DSC01489.gif

First job was to sort the yellow stain headlights, simple job with the help of the guides on here.
Next up was to give it a good wash, polish and wax. This highlighted the faults hidden by the rain when I veiwed the car. The bonnet is heavily littered with stone chips, right from the tip all the way to the back.
There is a small dent on the N/S rear arch that I missed, a scuff/scratch on the O/S front arch and deep scratches on the rear bumper. I wasn't expecting a perfect car, especially not on my budget, but it's was just a little disapointing thats all.
DSC01460-1.gif

DSC01461-1.gif

DSC01463-1.gif

Really pleased with how the lights came out.
DSC01473.gif

DSC01478.gif

DSC01470.gif

A shame about these small faults, but I'd of probably still bought the car had I noticed them.
Next up were the wheels and seats, the drivers side had a large rip and I'd always like the Trophy recaros , but not the price they comand, so a set of Accord type R Recaros have been used instead(much cheaper). I also picked up a mint set of Gloss black Turini's, as the old wheels looked a lost in the arches and had seen better days.
When the seats arrived they were filthy and a bit worn and bobbly but came up good after a scrub and trim with a JML bobble remover:eek: .
DSC01498.gif

DSC01499.gif

All cleaned and fitted, think they go really well.
DSC01563.gif

DSC01561.gif

The rear seats were never gonna stay, so out they came and up came the rear ride height... Not good
DSC01688.gif

DSC01584.gif

My clio was like many others suffered from knocking under acceleration, so out came the old engine mounts and in with new. I had to pull the engine really far forward to stop it knocking though.
Old vs New
DSC01608.gif

The original upper engine mount had a 6mm gap... This can't be good?
DSC01630.gif

All fitted and engine pulled as far forward as poss
DSC01610.gif

DSC01631.gif

Also put in a powerflex dogbone kit whilst I was at it, it made a positive difference to gear changes, but I'm glad this isn't my daily, as the vibrations is very noticable. But worth it imo.
Removing the old bushes was reasonably easy, but I wish I had my old work bench and big vice.
DSC01615.gif

DSC01618.gif

This was the hardest one, but it came out in the end..... Eventually!
DSC01620.gif

TAH DAH......
DSC01622.gif

Made a right bloody mess, but the mount itself is fine.
DSC01623.gif

DSC01627.gif

I had to bin the standard shocks for some coilovers, as the rear looked shocking so high :rasp: and I knew fitting sportlines wouldn't get it low enough. I got my hands on a set of Spax RSX coilies, I'm pleased with the results visually and the adjustability should come in handy if I manage to get out on track.
DSC01637.gif

DSC01638.gif

I'd like to get these set up proffesionally, as I'm a bit of a novice and I'm sure they could be better.
I had a little go at removing the scratch on the O/S front wing and think it's come up ok, considering the limited tools/equipment I have.... I'm sure some will be winsing at the crude technic, but I wanted to have a go. Def' want some 2000 grit next time though!
DSC01657.gif

DSC01658.gif

Got a bit scary at one point as I only had some 1500 handy.
DSC01664.gif

Dont think it turned out too shabby, only using the tools below:
DSC01667.gif

This is all I've managed so far, so here's how the car stands now.
DSC01670.gif

DSC01672.gif

DSC01678.gif

DSC01681.gif

DSC01691.gif

I'm sure there will be more to come, new steering wheel(next week or so), I'm thinking maybe a cage, defo paint or carpet the rear to tidy it. Paint the diamonds on the wheels a different colour and also the front and rear diamonds, either matt, satin black?
I've got a couple of time slots for track time at the castle combe action day on the 10th, so I'll be seeing how I get on and see what I'd like to change or what needs improving.
If I like the whole track thing, then I'll probably focus the car more towards track days.

Transit & Death trap
Thanks for the positive comments people, Cliosport has been a massive source of inspiration and technical help via the good old search button;)

Looks great. A subtle splitter on the front bumper will finish it off nicely!
I should hopefully be getting my hands on a Cup splitter soon:cool:

BlackGold 182
very nice!

about that scratch you removed, so you flatterened it back with 1500grit then polished up witha a machine polisher

Transit & Death trap
very nice!

about that scratch you removed, so you flatterened it back with 1500grit then polished up witha a machine polisher

Yeah thats pretty much it, flattened back with the 1500 and plenty of soapy water, then I used meguiars ultimate compound with a buffing pad and backing plate on a drill, i then added a coat of wax after.... Its a bit of a crude method, but it worked:)

Focus RS + S3
Good work on the scratch

I think your dogbone is upside down mate, on the part where it bolts to the gearbox the thicker part has to be on top

Im pretty sure thats what i read on here "/

Transit & Death trap
Good work on the scratch

I think your dogbone is upside down mate, on the part where it bolts to the gearbox the thicker part has to be on top

Im pretty sure thats what i read on here "/

Cheers mate, I'll look into swapping the sides around. I did check on here and do some searches before fitting it, but there are so many conflicting suggestions as to which way up it goes:dead:

Focus RS + S3
I dont think it makes a major difference. Just some people have reported different amounts of vibration from the different ways, i was searching for the correct way when i fitted mine