ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 1st efforts at a mini-detail.......

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
It seems this weekend was 'flamer cleaning' weekend. Steve from R-Sports did his, Dawn (Magpie V6) did her's and I had a stab at my very first 'detail'.

Made a school boy error, not taking photos before hand. Suffice to say, it was 'dirty' at best, 'filthy' at worst. :eek:

I'm no expert (in honesty its the first time I have done anything more than cleaned it) but set to work and did the following;

- Cleaned and snow foamed
- Clay barred it
- Resin Polished
- Waxed

Results (unfortunately I only had my iphone, but Tank on here took some with his SLR which he is sending to me):

photo1.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo7.jpg

I'm pretty happy with the results, time and effort well spent I feel. Won't leave it as long before attacking it again to keep it in tip top shape.

Oli

PB Clio 172
come on that's a bad reason for not using tyre shine. you should have had some ready before you started ! :p

lovely, lovely car though, the only minor and I mean really minor is that exhaust ! Sorry !

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
come on that's a bad reason for not using tyre shine. you should have had some ready before you started ! :p

lovely, lovely car though, the only minor and I mean really minor is that exhaust ! Sorry !

Cheers, don't apologise mate, the exhaust was on the car when I bought it.....I'm waiting to see what appears from Fred in the exhaust department, and may get a new bumper (bumper has slight scuff from a clown in tescos) and go more 'stealthy' in the long run.....keep it as OEM as possible.

And on the tyre shine front - I promise to keep copious amounts of tyre shine in the cupboard, so I never fall short again...

PB Clio 172
Its a stunning car and I am so glad someone like you has kept the standard wheels on. I am a rare breed that love the standard wheels on any colour 172

The exhaust on a 172 has to be under the bumper for me it just looks right. I got rid of my twin exhaust that came with the car(yes sticky out chav style) and the back end of mine look miles better !

on the tyre shine front I am using AG tyre shine at the mo and yes there prob is better but its good and stays on for ages and is a great 'quick fix' :)

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Oh my! :eek: thats gorgeous!

whats she lowered on? running spacers?

Need to get a new style rs badge for mine.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Oh my! :eek: thats gorgeous!

whats she lowered on? running spacers?

Need to get a new style rs badge for mine.

Thanks Dawn! She is lowered on Bilstein B14's, with Eibach 15mm spacers all round. Yeah, the 197 RS Style badge was the first thing I did, the 'Halfrauds' one made me shudder......

How is yours behaving, all good I hope!

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Proper loving this colour lately! Looks mint

The 172 wheels in silver really suit it

Well done on getting it looking that clean ;-)

1.2 Mk3 Phase2
Lol, you want someone better than me cleaning it - speak to 'he of arch gap' aka Gally! I'm a mere beginner!

Well for a beginner you've done a real good job! Got specks of tar on mine which I cannot shift! they are everywhere!

Disastra Coupe
God I need that cup spolier. I'm off to constantly monitor the 'parts for sale' section.

You at CS12? If so, we should try and get some photos sorted, be like mirror vision!

Clearly you are a fellow 'thinking man' as per matthews post above ^^^^^^!

Haha! I'm not sure yet. Will have to see. If i do though we'll grab some pics!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Nice job mate.

Shame you didn't de-tar before claying as it can inflict a lot of damage to the paintwork
Of course the Srp will help hide most of these marks it's worth noting for the future.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Nice job mate.

Shame you didn't de-tar before claying as it can inflict a lot of damage to the paintwork
Of course the Srp will help hide most of these marks it's worth noting for the future.

Mmmm, i'm confused. I did de-tar? I used Tar and Bug remover for about 1 hour on the front during the clean. Then clay barred. Was that a no no?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Mmmm, i'm confused. I did de-tar? I used Tar and Bug remover for about 1 hour on the front during the clean. Then clay barred. Was that a no no?

Sorry mate you didn't mention it in the OP. If decontamination is done correctly you clay bar should be pretty clean.

I'm sure it was a lot better than if you hadn't have de-tarred.

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Sorry mate you didn't mention it in the OP. If decontamination is done correctly you clay bar should be pretty clean.

I'm sure it was a lot better than if you hadn't have de-tarred.

You're right, I didn't mention it in the OP - sorry. Yeah, had a full going over with tar and bug remover. The clay bar was pretty clean, but I was still amazed it got anything more off, as the car looked spotless prior to clay barring. The fact it took anything more off amazed me! I didn't have to use very much of the clay bar, as it wasn't getting very dirty at all. I assume that is a good sign?