ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Artic 182 winter clean and a few goodies to be fitted..........

ph1 172
Evening all,
Despite being boxing day the weather looked good for washing my car :approve:
Not many good before pics as I am a noob and didn't think and all the pics I do have were taken on my iphone in bright sunshine so are poo.

clio forum thread 009.JPGclio forum thread 010.JPGclio forum thread 011.JPG

I removed all of the inner arch lining, pressure washed the worst off then used muc-off and a brush :)

clio forum thread 012.JPGclio forum thread 013.JPGclio forum thread 014.JPG

Same process for the back but photos don't really do it any justice.

clio forum thread 015.JPGclio forum thread 017.JPGclio forum thread 019.JPG

A little before pic there but the sun was getting the better of my focus hence why there is a hand in a few shots!

clio forum thread 023.JPGclio forum thread 022.JPGclio forum thread 024.JPG

Arch liners in

clio forum thread 026.JPGclio forum thread 025.JPGclio forum thread 027.JPG

Liners out

clio forum thread 029.JPGclio forum thread 028.JPGclio forum thread 030.JPG

Clean:) What looks like dirt on the footwell, isn't. Its the remains of some underseal or waxoil.

So all clean ready for me to waxoil the inner arches once dry. I washed the underneath of the car aswell and will be waxoiling that too.

clio forum thread 032.JPGclio forum thread 034.JPG

All dry in the garage :)

clio forum thread 042.JPGclio forum thread 043.JPGclio forum thread 046.JPG

A couple of dry inner arch shots.

Now for the goodies........;)

Next post...

ph1 172
Right the parts to be fitted....

View attachment 68503

-Sachs Trophy dampers
-Eibach Sportline springs
-AST top mounts
-Full polybush set
-Brembo HC discs
-Ferodo DS2500 pads
-ATE brake fluid
-HEL braided lines
-Genuine rear discs and bearings etc.
-Genuine rear pads

clio forum thread 052.JPGclio forum thread 051.JPGclio forum thread 050.JPG

I refurbed the front dampers myself. I shot blasted them, followed by a few coats of red oxide then around 4 coats of 2 pack silver then 2 coats of lacquer. Didn't turn out aswell as I had hoped but their ok to sit underneath my car:eek:
The rubbers had perished so I purchased some rather heavy duty replacements. They are made for an old British motorbike's front forks, they fit perfectly :D

Hoping to get this all done by the end of the week.

C+C welcome:)

Last edited:
  ph1 172
Me too!
I wish I could get these last photos to load up!!!

Here should be the pic that I cannot get to load in my second post

clio forum thread 049.JPG

Last edited:

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
That will be awesome when everything is fitted mate, I'm not jealous at all....honest :(

ph1 172
I cannot wait Chris!

Come spring time I going to get rid of the toyo t1r's for some Michelin ps3's, also some wheel spacers and a whiteline arb.

Can't wait for spring now:)

ph1 172
Been working on it for most of the day and have achieved effectively sweet fa:(
Bottom ball joints did not want to move. (Doesn't help that I haven't got the proper tool!) So I got a bigger hammer......which worked a treat:)

Cleaned the hubs up and gave them a couple of coats of hammerite.
IMG_0077.JPGIMG_0079.JPG

The biggest PITA was the front ARB polybushes:mad:

IMG_0078.JPG

The new versus the old

IMG_0082.JPG

Also some before shots of the caliper. I will be shot blasting these and spraying them satin black, possibly tomorrow.

IMG_0083.JPGIMG_0084.JPG

ph1 172
Shot blasted the callipers today and gave them around 4 coats of heat resistance paint.

After shot blasting.

IMG_0085.JPGIMG_0086.JPGIMG_0091.JPG

Now dry from painting.

IMG_0095.JPGIMG_0097.JPGIMG_0098.JPGIMG_0102.JPG

Quite pleased with the result. Also before painting I removed the pistons and gave them and good clean up and clean the dust seals. Good as new:)

Also received these today.

IMG_0092.JPG

New track rod ends and ball joints. Just waiting to get my front arms back tomorrow as I am getting the old bushes pressed out and the polybush sleeves tack welded in.

More updates to come tomorrow:)

ph1 172
Unfortunately I did not get my bottoms arms back today so progress has been slow and well not much worth talking about tbh.

Cleaned up all of the bolts that came from the car, and a couple of new nuts here and there. Setup a calliper so I could test fit the pads and see how much needs to be taken off. Followed a diagram off here as a base then trial and error. Used a pedestal grinder which made the job easy as peas :approve: Gave the bits I ground off a couple of coats of heat resistant paint and job was a good one.

Hopefully I get the arms back tomorrow.

ph1 172
Finally I got the arms back today.....at 7:30pm:(

Unfortunately I only had time do fit the calliper, disc, bottom ball joint and arm and a damper, spring and top mount. Also I gave the inner front arches a couple of coats of waxoyl. Once the other side is done and the weight is back on the wheels I can change the track rod end, which currently will not budge:mad:

Anyway, a couple of pics of the "nearly" completed drivers front.

IMG_0109.JPGIMG_0112.JPGIMG_0107.JPGIMG_0116.JPG

Unfortunately this damper fell over when it was drying up against the radiator and as the paint was still soft, it now has a carpet print on it!

Also where does all this dust come from in a clean workshop/garage? Look at the top mount, its only been in here a few days!

Will get the front finished tomorrow and then can make a start on the rear:)

Trafic 140dci
yeah pretty much done now, got mapping next week & just need a cage, but there's no hurry for that as i cant drive it fast enough to roll it :eek:

ph1 172
Haha, keep doing them track days then;)

I think my setup will be best suited to fast road rather than the track.

ph1 172
Got the rear done today. Nice and easy:)
Rear braided lines on, new discs and bearings, new pads, shot blasted pad carrier and sprayed, sportlines and Sachs dampers and waxoyled the inner arches and rear beam. Sits abit high atm at the back but hoping they will settle after a little while. The drop on the front is good, seems to sit a little lower than most that I have seen, maybe the AST top mounts make it sit slightly lower than to original top mounts?

IMG_0125.JPGIMG_0126.JPGIMG_0129.JPG

Just got to fill it up with new brake fluid, bleed them, change the track rod ends and get the suspension and steering geo done.

Oh and give it a wash as it is now covered in dust! Where does it come from?!

ph1 172
Right, last day off before I go back to work so I thought I would give her a wash.
Awful photos I apologise :eek:

How its sitting now.

IMG_0145.JPG

Also found a pic of the damper built up just before it went on.

IMG_0118.JPG

Easy as peas to fit:approve:

The car will be trailered to Danny @ 519 Automotive on Thursday to have the suspension and tracking setup and also the brakes, I cannot wait to get it back and test it!

Arctic 182 FF
Love this mate looks great. Got my Arctic 182 before Christmas and plan on cleaning some things up myself so thanks for sharing

Liquid Yellow R27
How are the Eibach springs mate? I don't know whether to go for them or the Apex 40mm Springs. I've heard that the Apex make the suspension quite stiff though. Just wondered how you were finding the Eibach. It definitely sits smart.

ph1 172
The Eibachs are progressive springs and are slightly stiffer than the originals but ride well.

Apex springs are stiff and not progressive. Also quite a few people have had them snap.

Buy right, buy once = buy Eibach:)

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Looks soo clean, great project.

What are peoples thoughts on the solid top mounts?

ph1 172
Little update

Had a problem with the rear springs in that they were sitting 15mm too high at the rear, so I sent them off to Coil Springs LTD and for £55 they heat them back up, re-form them, re-harden them and then powder coat them in black, oh and deliver them back to you:)

I purposely had them lowered about 5-7mm lower at the back as I plan to strip the interior from the rear, so hopefully it will then sit level

If anyone is having the same problems with their springs, let me know and I can supply you with the details you need

IMG_0278.JPGIMG_0276.JPG

ph1 172
looks good now :) better than sunday ;)

Handling was abit iffy aswell with the rear end in the air!

I prefer the nose down look.
Don't panic! Once the rear end is stripped out it will raise about 10mm so will have a slightly "nose down" look
I'm not one to copy but Rhys your car is pretty much exactly how I want mine. Perfect that!
Aww chucks:eek: Well what can I say, you saw it here first;) Next up is tyres!

due to traction the car is meant to sit lower at the front.

Engine on the front, power at the front !

Again, once the rear end is stripped it will be balanced so it will look right again:)

ph1 172
Im joking, Looks spot on how it is!

I love the amount of care you put into things and how you get things spot on.

Ah well thank you:eek:

Lewis very kindly found a roll cage on ebay yesterday for me from a clio cup racer. Unfortunately it is incorrectly listed and is infact for a MK3 clio cup racer:(
So I enquired about a Safety Devices cage today instead, similar to the cup racer cage.

Apparently Camskil cannot get the Federal FZ 201's that I wanted so will be running the 595 RSR's instead. Should hopefully get my OZ F1's on Thursday:)

Ah well thank you:eek:

Lewis very kindly found a roll cage on ebay yesterday for me from a clio cup racer. Unfortunately it is incorrectly listed and is infact for a MK3 clio cup racer:(
So I enquired about a Safety Devices cage today instead, similar to the cup racer cage.

Apparently Camskil cannot get the Federal FZ 201's that I wanted so will be running the 595 RSR's instead. Should hopefully get my OZ F1's on Thursday:)

Was going to ask about tyres. Think i will also be ordering the 595 RSR's soon :)
I was looking at that cage earlier, infact ive spent all afternoon as i got off work early looking for cages and other ways to spank my money!

Let me know the price of the cage :) i had a look at the oreca also, they seem decent.

ph1 172
If we order 8 tyres do we get postage discount?

And the cage is FIA and MSA approved. It comes complete with all necessary brackets etc that need to be welded to the floor and powder coated in a whole range of colours. I have very local to me a chap that will do all of the welding (which is art work!) and necessary fitting. The price is £968.00 plus vat which I thought was bloody good!

Here is the roll cage http://www.safetydevices.com/motors.../Renault+Clio+Mk2-1998-2006/489/#!prettyPhoto

That cage is the b****cks! We shall see what happens after summer i think :)

And with 8 tyres they just double the postage, nice of them! lol

Any idea on how much theyre other cage is?

ph1 172
Oh how very nice of them! lol Never mind they are cheap enough anyway.

And yes it will be after summer that I will be looking at sticking a cage in mine along with some SPG's and a few other bits and pieces so maybe we can get a bit of money off for ordering 2 at the same time?

The way your car is sitting looks spot on, thats the height id be wanting with springs! Hows the handling after getting them done?

Oh how very nice of them! lol Never mind they are cheap enough anyway.

And yes it will be after summer that I will be looking at sticking a cage in mine along with some SPG's and a few other bits and pieces so maybe we can get a bit of money off for ordering 2 at the same time?

There were/are some pole positions for sale on here atm, you see them?
And sounds a plan!