ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My BG 182 Track Car Build

TRH_Racing

South East - Herts/London
ClioSport Area Rep
Just realised i had these pics from bedford .. I love this car :)
IMG_0309_zpsj0z3a9jn.jpg

IMG_0311_zpspcof6mml.jpg

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I have not done a lot to the car recently but over the last month or so I have been getting it ready for summer.
I had a PMS AC delete kit for about 2 years stuck on the shelf so I decided it was time to get it on the car and while I

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
I have not done a lot to the car recently but over the last month or so I have been getting it ready for summer.
I had a PMS AC delete kit for about 2 years stuck on the shelf so I decided it was time to get it on the car and while I was at it fit the aluminium radiator that I have had for about a year I also got some silicone coolant hoses in grey as orange ones were a silly price.
While the front end of the car was in pieces it gave me a good opportunity to fit the remote mounting for the oil pressure gauge again I have had this about a year lol

I was getting a little bored so decided I was going to repaint the front badge, the splitter and the scuttle panel, inlet, engine mounts (I had painted the rocker cover a few months before so that did not need doing) then I ordered a orange tow strap and some CM Composite cannards, I know they are not to everyones taste but I thought they would look good.
When the cannards came I was a little disappointed as they were not what I was expecting but I decided I was going to make them better.
First job was to trim down the larger ones as IMO they were just too wide and as they are just flat I put a small curve into them so they look more like they are supposed to be there.
once they were dry fitted I painted them did not just want them black so I painted the underside orange so the colour theme flowed but also added a pinstrip of orange around the outer edge then the rest was painted gloss black and a black Renault Sport sticker added before clearing.
I am really pleased with the way they have come out, I also binned the supplied silver rivets and got some black ones so nothing looked out of place.
While I was in a painting mood I decided it would be good to do the front calipers again in a nice anthracite this is were issues started 😞
I disconnected the OSF caliper and fitted a old spare caliper to stop fluid leaking but did not notice it had no bleed nipple, the next day when I went to refit it there was a pool of brake fluid on the floor but still fluid in the reservoir so attached the caliper and pumped the brakes and nothing the pedal went to the floor and the piston was not moving :eek:penmouth:
I spent around 2 hours trying to sort it with a vacuum bleeder and normal way with no luck, so next day was a trip to Halfords for a easybleed kit and I managed to get the piston to move and pedal felt ok with engine off but after starting the car I only had a bit of brakes at the bottom of travel, the next day I went round a few local garages and spoke to them and they both said try bleeding it again before booking it in.
So Good Friday armed with 5L of cheap brake fluid I set about pumping loads of fluid through and it seemed to have worked I now have brakes :smile::up:.
Feeling better now the brakes were sorted I set about changing engine oil and gearbox oil and putting the bumper back on the the b*****d thing would not start the battery was knackered :angry: so today was get a new battery and all is fine now ready for Anglesey in May.
I suppose I was a good time for it to happen as it could have happened at Anglesey, I was very tempted to get a race battery but a bit worried it will not be upto the job as I drive my car to the track and if it is raining and I have to have lights, wipers, heater and radio on and I am stuck in traffic it will drain it so went with a standard battery.

At the start
IMG_4640.JPG

Stripped
IMG_4709.JPG

Ally rad in
IMG_4739.JPG

Remote pressure switch position
IMG_4753.JPG

Renault Sport side bullets
IMG_4773.JPG

I decided I wanted to tidy the electric window switchs up as they were just hanging
IMG_4785.JPG

Cannards painted
IMG_4836.JPG

Brake caliper colour
IMG_4838.JPG

Painted RS logo on oil cooler
IMG_4914.JPG

Oils ready for change
IMG_4927.JPG

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Big update Mark! Lots done :)
All of it looks really good with your OCD touch.
Have you sorted the brakes now? I always bleed the brakes with the engine running so the valves in the ABS pump are open properly.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Big update Mark! Lots done :smile:
All of it looks really good with your OCD touch.
Have you sorted the brakes now? I always bleed the brakes with the engine running so the valves in the ABS pump are open properly.

Thanks Graham
Yes the brakes are sorted now, I boiled the brake fluid at Oulton in November and did not bleed it out when I got back because it was being parked up for winter so assume there was some trapped air somewhere in the system, that was with superblue so going to try GULF RF1000 or RBF660 next.
I was told by the bloke at Total Control Racing (used to run Clio cups) to try bleeding it with the engine running.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
I know what you mean, I just know what your like :)

Car looks great as always Mark. Glad to see the niggles are sorted. Hopefully I'll see it in the flesh sometime soon.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
A couple more updates over the bank holiday I got a quote for powder coating the cage orange and when they said £40 I was back home in half hour taking the cage out and dropping it off to them.
While the cage was being done I took the roof lining out and then started removing all the bonding stuff and the piece of tar that weighs about 2-3kg then painted it anthracite and what a ballache that was.
While I was at it I tidied all the wires up and hid them between the reinforcement sections.
This was done just incase I don't want the lining in at any time but I had other plans for the lining.
I ordered 2m of fake alcantara off eBay in black got some high temp contact adhesive and retrim led the roof lining and painted all the blanking plugs and trim panels I have in black, I am really pleased with how it has turned out.
Another job was to tidy the area around the roof vent as it was a bit messy so I fitted a piece a fake carbon where the light was.
Today was just a clean and change the brake fluid to some proper stuff Motul RBF660 as I boiled super blue before.
IMG_5020.JPG

IMG_5028.JPG

IMG_5036.JPG

IMG_5051.JPG

IMG_5049.JPG

IMG_5046.JPG

IMG_5050.JPG

IMG_5060.JPG

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I love how Orange/Red contrast on BG! Wasn't sure if I would be keen on the canards when you were describing what you were doing but they really look ace.

Seemed a shame to cover up the roof once it was painted anthracite but the faux alcantara headlining finishes it off. Awesome awesome car!

Being that you're quite clearly a man of 'eye for the finer things' and your attention to detail has been great thus far.

Might I make a suggestion that'll grind your gears now that I'm pointing it out.
You see those tiny little white 'things' (Alarm sensors) in the upper corner of your A pillar, buy a set of black ones or repaint those ones black :up:

I expect the next interior update to include them now 😂😂

This build is brilliant

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Having said the above, they look pretty well hidden with the cage in place

With the cage you don't really see them.

Nice backtracking :wink: I'd agree though! I hadnt noticed until you said to be fair. Kinda bugs me the head linings a slightly different shade but I doubt you can tell in person.

It is not really noticeable and much better than the standard color that stood out like a sore thumb, the flocked dash and A pillars etc never photograph the right color, and the roof it depends on which way it is brushed/ wiped as one way looks darker than the other.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Not much done to the car just maintenance.
After replacing all the coolant hoses to silicone ones a few months ago I used some nice looking mikalor type clamps but after going to Anglesey in May for the Renault Sport track day I soon learnt it was a mistake.
I went out about 4 times in the morning and stopped for lunch and just looked at the car and noticed a pool of water under the car so after a bit of investigating noticed that where 2 pipes join at the back the clamps were not sealing properly, the clamps I had would not tighten anymore so just tweaked it and did the sighting laps after lunch and it was still leaking and with no spare coolant and the level on min it was day over all for the sake of a couple of quids worth of clips.
The problem area
IMG_5142.JPG

Offending clamps replaced with new
IMG_5369.JPG

So a couple of weeks ago I ordered a whole load of jubilee clips and set about changing all the clamps over all 16 of them and what a ball ache that is with the rad still in place, hopefully that will have sorted that problem out.
When I came back from Anglesey I noticed my discs had seen better days (this was from Oulton when the brakes got VERY hot) so they have now been replaced thanks to @George@RTR_Parts for the discs and got some more RC6 pads so now ready for Rockingham in 2 weeks.
Not much life left in them
IMG_5367.JPG

IMG_5366.JPG

A few photos from Anglesey
IMG_5129.JPG

renaultanglesey-184.jpg

renaultanglesey-200.jpg

renaultanglesey-396.jpg

renaultanglesey-413.jpg

IMG_5133.JPG

Car looks fantastic as always mate. Being in yours still makes me want to go back to a standard engine!

Would love to do Anglesey at some point too.

Shame about the hose clips and that you didn't bring any spare coolant with you. Alex advised me to stick with standards and not waste my money on the Mikalor set.

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Car looks fantastic as always mate. Being in yours still makes me want to go back to a standard engine!

Would love to do Anglesey at some point too.

Shame about the hose clips and that you didn't bring any spare coolant with you. Alex advised me to stick with standards and not waste my money on the Mikalor set.

Thanks mate we could always swop engines lol
Anglesey is good but don't think I would do it again unles the car was trailered as it is a long way.
I am always taking coolant with me from now on, just hope I never need it.

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
Going out with you last year at Bedford has cost me a fortune and still continues to do so :smile:

M.C..

ClioSport Club Member
Not updated it for a while but a few changes have been made.
I decided that I wanted coilovers and after a lot of going between BC and Gaz gold I went for a set of Gaz Golds with 525lb fronts and 400lb rears in the end from @Mash. due to them being a coilover unit on the rear as it makes changing spring rates at any time so much easier, got to say thanks to Mash his service is 100% :up::smile:. and @Adamxx as well for his help
IMG_6218.JPG

I gave them a good coat with ACF 50 so they should be protected but also got some covers to protect the threads.
IMG_6267.JPG

While fitting the coilovers I cleaned the hubs up and gave them a lick of paint.
IMG_6268.JPG

As I was going to be doing work on the suspension I brought a new set of wishbones from Renault, I was going to powerflex them but it was too much of a PITA with just the one set of wishbones.
I painted them up orange to match the car.
IMG_6175.JPG

As I was on a spending spree I also decided to replace all the bolts and brackets as I was doing it **** me they are expensive £85 worth of nuts bolts and brackets, this was @Andy P fault as he told me he did all his so planted the seed in my head :smile: thanks for your help with checking part numbers and measuring bolts mate.
IMG_6329.JPG

I also got some black powerflex inner and outer ARB bushes.
IMG_6215.JPG

The coilovers were fitted a few weeks ago but not set up yet and I did the wishbones and outer ARB bushes today.
IMG_6228.JPG

IMG_6313.JPG

IMG_6416.JPG

IMG_6427.JPG

I had my first drive with the coilovers and with them set to soft they are really comfy they just absorb the bumps unlike cooksports and standard shocks which are just crashy compared to these.

Last edited:

Andy P

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, i20N
You are welcome, I love spending other peoples money:smile:. Glad to help.