ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My cambelt has snapped on the way to

Megane 225
The Renault guide says that when a belt is removed a new 1 must be fitted! To do the cam belt you have to remove the aux belt, so a new 1 should be fitted!

Clio 172 sport
They should always change the two at the same time, thats what they did with mine.... Because if the aux belt breakes it will get tangled in the cam belt and cause it to snap

Mine snapped and i had to buy a new engine, wasn't as painful as i thought it would be though - i bout an 05 engine with 25k off a forum user for like £350 and got it installed for £200. It works better than the previous 2001 engine

A Flamin' Red one
The Renault guide says that when a belt is removed a new 1 must be fitted! To do the cam belt you have to remove the aux belt, so a new 1 should be fitted!

It really is a simple as that.

As already mentioned, you have the recipt so you're onto an immediate winner. Trading Standards are quite possibly the greatest help you will ever have outside of this forum and when you put all of this together, the garage would be fools to not comply.
Just remember to get an independant check done on it as further evidence against the garage.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
aux belt should be cahnged as a kit at 36k and then again at 72k with the cam belt if you dont do the aux belt this is what happens

Clio 172
I got charged £85 for a cam belt kit, does anyone know what this kit would contain.Does it contain an aux. belt?

?
Afaik the cambelt kit is just the cambel and tensioners, you still need to buy the aux belt seperate, about £20 quid.

Whilst your at it id get the covers to the cams too

Static Low
Just over a year ago i put it in my local mechanics to get them changed but I'm now suspicious that they didn't do it and just charged me.If I try to accuse them of this, it's very hard to prove.

Id go round to that garage with a fuckin shotgun tbh

Lionel Richie
I got charged £85 for a cam belt kit, does anyone know what this kit would contain.Does it contain an aux. belt?

£150 for the kit (£130 if you use a non renault kit)
£107 for the aux belt kit (MUST be done also)

basically someone who knows nothing about these cars has/or possibly hasn't done the work and you're now paying the price

Last edited:
  Clio 172
What is the going rate for a 1 owner low mileage, silver, ph.1 172 non-runner? I've had two offers of £1000 and a £750 offer. The car is in excellent condition, mot/tax until June 2009, 4 good michelin pilots and hasn't a scratch on the bodywork. It also has renault service history for the first 4/5 years of its life.Factory alarm, locking wheel nuts, I-pod connection into factory stereo(multichanger disconnected.)The only bad points are a couple of curbed alloys(thanks to the missus) and the usual wear on the crappy ph.1 steering wheel.I'm in a dilemma because i'm getting the urge for another air cooled VW but financially getting the clio repaired makes more sense.Thanks in advance.

Mick

audi a3 1.8t sport
if the belt is new and has snaped the people who make the belt will pay for any damege to the engine. i work in a garage and iv seen gates pay out for a new engine when a belt snaped within 2 years of it being fitted.

ValverInBits
Speak to renault. They will tell you that it's bad practice to not change the aux when changing the cambelt.

Then get onto trading standards with the evidence. Only settle once this garage has agreed to purchase and fit you a new low mileage engine that you are happy with.

audi a3 1.8t sport
What about if the aux. belt was old and took the cam belt.
the aux belt should have been changed at the same but if it wasant and you didant ask them to then you will have to get your hand in your pocket but if you asked them to change it and thay didant then its all on them, has the aux belt snaped?

audi a3 1.8t sport
that wont make the belt snap can you take the cambelt of the car coz it is easy to tell if the belt is new or not. what make belt is on it and what make belt have you been charged for ?

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
If the above dont take it mate i'm very interested.. Have cash waiting... only for around a week then its off in the Premium bonds lol so let me know via Private message, I'm based in surrey Junction 13 M25, where are you?

James

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Not to far from me, I'm only in staines lol, could pick it up this weekend if you do choose to get rid of it mate, will have the money till the thursday/friday so let me know before then ;) How likely is it that you will be getting rid mate?

Clio 172
Not sure, going to talk to a mate at work tomorrow who's a bit of a mechanic to see how involved it is.By the way the car is at heathrow at the moment as I broke down on the way to work.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hear this. If it helps any, Rentech are brilliant. The only ones ever to have touched my car...104k so far.

If you do decide to repair, a trailor down to Portsmouth would be worthwhile.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Not sure, going to talk to a mate at work tomorrow who's a bit of a mechanic to see how involved it is.By the way the car is at heathrow at the moment as I broke down on the way to work.

Ok mate, heathrow is even closer to me so could get it back from there if needed...

Not to force you into the sale but it is a mother of a job, hence why you realisticly will find any where that will do it for under 1k, just to get a cambelt changed on a healthy 172 is £500+ so for some one to put a new cam beltkit on & re-build the engine your talking £1,200 & PH1's are now fetching under £2k with cambelts changed... if you plan to keep it for years to come then get it sorted :)

Will PM you my mobile mate, either give me a ring tonight or tomorrow after 5pm if you want shot

James

200bhp 172 cup
If i was you id remove the head myself!! and check the damage atleast you will know if its just the head that needs changing or if it's an engine replacement get the haynes manual out!