ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Clio Cup Project. From Purchase to Present day...

EP3 Civic Type R
I keep putting little threads up in media, so thought I would compile everything in here, as it's an ongoing love affair of mine, is the Cup!

I bought the Car in July 07... after a long hard look for a modern day replacement for my Fiesta RS Turbo. After I'd drove a couple of 172's/Cups I realised I was on the right path.

I wanted a Cup for a few reasons

1. They are a bit more rare (I like being different!) and there were none and are still very few around my area

2. I like the no frills, bog- standardness of them. Back to basics, good driving. I don't need air con and leather seats to have fun!

So I drove over to Chesterfield (from Blackpool) twice to view the car, which had been part ex'd at a Skoda Dealership! 1 owner from new, 29k, FSH... perfect!

I picked it up on 7th July 2007 and had one of THE best drives home!

cliocup2.jpg

After I got it home I gave it a good clean (again!) so it felt a bit more like mine and fitted a 3/4 size front numberplate

Picture7.jpg

picture4.jpg

picture3.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Next came a small but effective mod- clear side repeaters and my Eibach Sportlines (an excellent mod for anyone modding on a 'budget')

100_0751.jpg

100_0743.jpg

Things ticked over nicely for a while and then it came time for the Cambelt to be changed. £350 and that and the aux belt were done as well as a service.

EP3 Civic Type R
After this I decided I still didn't like the look of my car- so I decided to purchase some Apex springs so the car sat 40mm lower. Looking back, this wasn't the best descision made (haha) however, they aren't as bad as people say and the car looks great... they will just never live up to the Eibachs in terms of quality.

Another bargain mod was also done at the same time- Silvervisions!

DSC00140.jpg

DSC00117-1.jpg

After this I started saving for the long term. My next investment was a Yozzasport Exhaust. (after having the Fiesta Turbo, a 'loud' exhaust was never going to be an issue)- The Yozzasport, imo, sounds absolutely excellent and the car just seems to breathe that bit better with it on. Quality and fitment are second to none.

DSC00147.jpg

000_0038.jpg

EP3 Civic Type R
Next issue I wanted to resolve was the front seats- I was never a fan of them since day one. For a sporty car, I think Renault slacked on these. A perfect oppurtunity came up to purchase 2 Momo seats from Dez on here (who fortunately lives about 20mins from me!)

These were fitted by myself and although a fiddly job- it was worth it. It COMPLETELY changes the driving position and feel of the car. Excellent!

100_0997.jpg

100_1000.jpg

I'm now saving for a few other large parts/mods and with MOT time fast approaching I decided to do some cheap and cheerful upgrades, to tidy up the car.

First came the (Ford!) Sigmum Yellow Engine Cover

100_0966.jpg

100_0962.jpg

Along with the brakes painted using special, hi-temp paint

100_1030.jpg

EP3 Civic Type R
After this came a full valet. Rinsed, washed, clayed, washed, waxed... the whole hog.

100_1014.jpg

100_1009.jpg

100_1013.jpg

100_1003.jpg

The lastest mod (which is part of the next stage of the car) was to spray up the badges in Graphite Grey (again a Ford colour!) Side bullets and Renault badges were done, along with de-wipering the rear to give it a smoother look.

100_1039.jpg

100_1040.jpg

100_1043.jpg

Last weekend I fitted a new headunit to finish things off as well as uprating the front door speakers to Sony items

100_1054.jpg

Last edited:
  EP3 Civic Type R
This is how my car stands to present day. On the cards shortly are some Coilovers (still undecided on make) and a wheel refurb, not in standard Silver.

So far I've done 11,000 miles in this car, in 11months- and every one of them was enjoyable. I get bored of cars- this one hasn't made me bored yet- I love it!!!

Thanks for reading. Will update on progress, as and when... (Apologies for the amount of pictures on this first page)

Ta
Michelle

Last edited:
  EP3 Civic Type R
Cheers matey! Seats are Momo RS2 GT seats. Everyone seems to say they look uncomfy, until they sit in them. Can't fault them

Lovely car, only just come across this project thread

did you paint the inlet whilst on the car black and what did use ?

Thanks and keep up the good work.

EP3 Civic Type R
I did paint the inlet on the car, but still masked everything off whilst I was doing it. I used good old Hammerite and it was a fair few months back- still looks fine and wipes clean like new.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
Everything looked great up until the last photo, Shiney Shiney dash, Matt mate get scrubbing :nono: ;)

M

mini-valver

Nicely done! Everything looks perfect, especially the seat change, I'm not sure on the painted diamond on the boot though.....Maybe I'm being gay!

EP3 Civic Type R
Nicely done! Everything looks perfect, especially the seat change, I'm not sure on the painted diamond on the boot though.....Maybe I'm being gay!

All personal preference! I'm going to give the badges another couple of coats of laquer as I need more SHINE!

Gtvlew- I'd just given the dash a wipe, hense the weird shine- it's not like that all the time.

Cheers for all the comments :)

clio rs
just read ur intresting tread, ur have a very nice cup there.

i myself own a very nice 172cup, and im also on a a stage where im not 100% happy with the looks, and want to lower it, which u think is best sportlines or apex.

i think im abit like u, if im not happy with sportlines ill end up changes few weeks down the line.

in wat terms wud u say the spotlines better. and how better do the apex look. wud u say its worth the loosing out on quick with a apex. any chance u can send pics with apex & sportline to my email as i cant tell the differance on ur tread. Aso is there a major differance in the drop.

moazzumahmed786@hotmail.com

EP3 Civic Type R
Maz, Apex for looks, Sportlines for handling. No comparrison on handling front but Apex aren't as bad as some people make out. Just quite a harsh ride if you aren't used to it.

Not had much of an update of late. Had a home service, breezed through the MOT no problems (the joys of owning something other that a Fiesta Turbo!) and then I've been saving.

Managed to get a few bits the other day, woohoo! Can't wait to get them on and set up properly.

DSC00393.jpg

and gave it a proper good clean, dry, clay and wax

100_1094.jpg

100_1090.jpg

100_1106.jpg

100_1089.jpg

FPOS Productions™ 172 FR
This is a superb looking motor, and has been a joy to valet...

Mish is the reason im now saving like an idiot to own a 172.....

Never above 25mpg
Excellent stuff :)

The rear badge would be topped off if you did the button in the middle the same colour as the car :)

V nice indeed :p

SchwepTek™
Looking good mate!

Another set of konigsports eh? lol. I love mine! :)

I am seriously considering changing the seats too. Would you recommend it? Your selling yours now arent you?

172 Cup
Look forward to seeing the FK's fitted. When you getting them done and how low do you plan to go?

EP3 Civic Type R
Looking good mate!

I am seriously considering changing the seats too. Would you recommend it? Your selling yours now arent you?

Thankyou for all the good comments guys.

They are FK's matey... as for the seats- I've sold mine to a member from here to pay for the coilovers... but would I recommend changing them- without a doubt!

Stance wise, I think this is nigh on perfect for how I'd want it:

9496892.jpg

Tobs, not sure on future plans now. Think I'll be saving again as I fancy a decat, filter and then eventually a re-map.

Long term I'd love to look into TB's :)

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Looking good mate!

Sold to me. A b**ch to fit, but very comfy once in, and great driving position.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Nice work mate, looks very smart :cool:

Fk's are the nuts, love mine, you should have bought the Fk koni adjustable's though, they are haaaaarsh for daily use lol

EP3 Civic Type R
Looking good mate!

Who'd have thought 4 bolts would be so annoying eh!

I'd change my seats again- if I had chance- hope they're ok for you Warren- that reminds me, could you leave me trader feedback- cheers mate

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200

Who'd have thought 4 bolts would be so annoying eh!

I'd change my seats again- if I had chance- hope they're ok for you Warren- that reminds me, could you leave me trader feedback- cheers mate
It's the pretensioner thats a b**ch, there's nowhere on the subframe for the notch on the pretensioner to fit.

EP3 Civic Type R
I'm sure we got it sorted somehow, just can't remember how! I never found it a massively hard job mate. Give me a shout if you're still struggling soon

3.2 V6 4KEV, 944 Cab, 172
Hi Michelle

Just a quick question - where did you source the rubber grommet/bung from for de-wipering the boot?

I want to do it to mine but don't have anything to put in the hole... :eek:

Cheers, Baggers.

EP3 Civic Type R
Baggers... of all places- Halfrauds!!! It was a multipack of grommets with about 6 in... 2 of which fit perfectly and was only a few quid :)