ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Clio project (8500rpm + boost)

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Liking this alot chip :) revs and boost sounds like a mad combo :)

Is that engine one of the Honda lumps that seems to just lap up boost? I.e the s2000 engine just adores boost super charging and turbo's seem to be really common place.
Also know a guy that has litterally bolted a turbo (some of that cheap Chinese crap) kit to his h22 (with 220k on the clock) and it runs without much complaint...in the stock map (afaik)...of course it hits fuel cut alot but just amazed it's running...and he drives it to work lol!!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Good work, nice to see something different as said. I've seen and driven the car in its various guises while Andy owned it so it's good to see the shell still about.

Well give me a year or so to get round to finishing it (its very much a background project that just gets a bit of spare time here or there) and you'll have to have another drive of it mate and see if you think the LSD etc and extra rpm were worth all the hassle :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Liking this alot chip :) revs and boost sounds like a mad combo :)

My nova with 8500rpm and 2 bar of boost was awesome, people often say they prefer N/A engines over turbos cause they like revving engines, but thats just cause those people have never driven a turbo engine specifically built to rev! My nova revved higher than my clio on bodies did and higher than the corsa on bodies I have now does as well.

Is that engine one of the Honda lumps that seems to just lap up boost? I.e the s2000 engine just adores boost super charging and turbo's seem to be really common place.

Yes the B18C4 really does take to boost very well, in fact even better than the b18C5 and B18C6 integra type R variants of the same engine, as the extra 10bhp they have as standard is largely due to more compression which actually makes them less well suited to turbo application than the B18C4 im using.

Also know a guy that has litterally bolted a turbo (some of that cheap Chinese crap) kit to his h22 (with 220k on the clock) and it runs without much complaint...in the stock map (afaik)...of course it hits fuel cut alot but just amazed it's running...and he drives it to work lol!!!
Asking for trouble on the standard map TBH, but I really like those H22A engines, had one in the 1990s back when they were fairly new and it never missed a beat and went really well.

The pick of the bunch is the civic type R k20 lump really (well other than the s2000) but from my point of view the extra expense in going for a K20 wasnt justified when the B18 will do what I want, which is only around 300bhp anyway and already has an LSD as standard etc.
I also prefer the turbo being at the front, with a K20 in the bay the turbo would have been right in the bulkhead and thats not great from a heat management point of view.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Got a couple of quick pictures from the spare front end im using for mocking up with so I dont end up cutting up the yellow shell too much, this way I can try things out and then once I know what I am doing just copy only the changes needed onto the yellow one.

Overall shot of the engine sat in what I think is going to be the final position in the bay:
1fd3e1dc.jpg

Clearance on the passenger/engine side:
61547be0.jpg

Clearace on the driver/gearbox side:
dc007889.jpg

BMW 535d
Very cool chip

The only other turbo engine i know which revs to 8500 is a 622bhp evo lol. It hurt my ears when he gave it beans past me

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Love the spare front end idea! If I ever go VAG this will be how I do it

You cant really make it out in the pictures, but I also sectioned it vertically down the centre line of the car, so ive got a left front end and a right front end that I can offer up seperately, makes it a lot easier to check for clearance if you can offer half of it on sideways rather than having to lift the whole thing around.

Main thing that im REALLY pleased about, is that my Edelbrook Pro Victor X intake manifold fits, thats a massive bonus, going to need to just dress back the bulkhead slightly in a couple of places as its a bit too close, but no actual touching at all :)

994510ba.jpg

246f8974.jpg

Whoop whoop :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah I wish I still had that engine to fit, wouldnt make the numbers that the turbo one will but you cant beat the sound of over 9Krpm on bodies!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Finally got round to taking a picture of my other mk1 clio bay, so figured this was as good a place to post it as any as its not really worth its own thread as its a pretty basic spec anyway TBH and probably not going to change much anymore anyway.

580123db.jpg

Evo 5 RS
It's a Pulsa GTIR plenum with some fab I think. Not worthy of a project thread...whatever son. Love the pretend modesty lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Nice inlet!!! Details?

Just something I knocked up from random bits I had lieing about TBH mate.
Its a chadil carb manifold, a home made backplate, a spacer and a pulsar plenum, and then a cossie throttle body.

I need to space the plenum further though I think, the volume would benefit from being increased at the top end and the midrange would benefit from longer trumpets which I cant yet fit under.
I did have a standard radiator so was constrained by that, but I have more space now so might revisit it when I get a chance.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's a Pulsa GTIR plenum with some fab I think. Not worthy of a project thread...whatever son. Love the pretend modesty lol

Lol, wasnt modesty, was more a case of too late, as the work on this car has all been done.
I had a project thread on the vauxhall forum when I was doing it, but no point starting one here afterwards.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
wish i could "knock" stuff up like that lol!! good effort?
gains and losses?

Sadly ive not had any back to back rolling road testing to know any gains and losses, ive literally just been tinkering with it, its not been "developed" like you would with a commerical product as rolling road time costs money.

Id say ive lost peak torque as a result of the shorter intake length, but it pulls relentlessly to the redline now, the torque curve feels much more like a straight line now than on the original inlet, but its hard to really judge as I went via throttle bodies in between.
Its actually very similar to drive to an RS2'd 172, which I guess is what you would expect with it being so similar in design (although i'd never even seen an RS2 when I made this originally so its not intended as a copy)

I think If I can increase plenum volume and runner length (which I now have space to do) then I'll be confident saying ive gained overall compared to the standard inlet, but at the moment the gains and losses are probably cancelling each other out in some ways, well other than looking pretty epic, lol

Best thing though, is that the flatter curve means you need to be less accurate with the revs, so on track im expecting it to feel far better, second chicane at combe if I was at exactly the right rpm before it just died trying to pull out of it, now if im 500 rpm lower (cause its wet, or traffic or whatever) I know it wont hit me as hard performance wise.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Picked up a cast T3 manifold for the B18C4 engine and gave it a try with a spare 4wd cossie turbo I had laying about and it seems to fit reasonably well although the exhaust routing is going to need to have some fairly tight bends in it so might be a little awkward to fabricate.

425f9d3f.jpg

240c5613.jpg

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
All the honda boys direct the turbo the other way around. Maybe that's the reason the exhaust is going to have strange bends. Would also be easier with the intercooler...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I tried the turbo the other way around too but it sits far too forward then, I've got a lot less space in front of the engine than in a civic.

Also where the exhaust would then need to be routed the clio subframe gets very in the way.

So what works in a civic doesn't seem to have a lot of bearing on what works in the Clio.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
your engine is in the wrong way :clown:

Cor, good job you noticed, thanks mate ;)

keep us updated! love lairy projects :)
Its a bit of an "on the back burner" type project so although I'll be doing updates it wont be coming along very quickly as I have a few other cars that are higher priority at the moment.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
No worries, you may find you have less room for a snail when you turn it the right way around :p

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
very cool

Gotta be honest theres alot more room there than i thought there would be.

Exhaust route is gonna be very interesting, you think this will have a noticeable effect of performance or will it be negligible?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There is actaully a lot less space than it looks in those pics, if I try and fit the actuator on the turbo for example it wont fit as it hits the radiator.

I dont think a tight bend in the exhaust will be a big issue performance wise given that Im going to be happy with 250-300bhp anyway.
If I was looking for big power though it wouldnt be suitable, but then neither would this cast manifold.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes the manifold has an outlet for an EWG if I do choose to run one.

I may yet get a tubular manifold made, but this was just a quick starting point and I can use it as a template for where I want the flanges if I get someone to knock me up a tubular one. Will decide later on.
If I can manage to use the internal gate then I will just to keep things simpler on the exhaust pipework side.

Very much making it all up as I go along though, its quite a fluid specification on this build, just by virtue of the fact there arent any working examples of this engine in this shell already existing to work from.
So will just solve each problem as I come to it as I dont know in advance what they will be.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Picked up a race technology dash for it now. Need to make a mounting panel but it fits quite well in the space where the standard 172 clocks would normally go in this dash.

IMAG0141.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

Also got a data logger at the same time, which will connect to the ecu to log all parameters from that and then join them together with GPS and accelerometer readings etc so I can get plenty of info about how bad my driving is as well as how the engine is doing :)

Think I might actually put a williams engine in it briefly and make a loom up to run that on the autronic so that I can get the electronic side of things all working well ahead of the real engine arriving, will also give me a chance to get the brakes and suspension etc working how I want them too.
Bit of a backwards step in terms of the final end goal of honda turbo power, but will mean I can enjoy the car in the meantime and probably only take a few days realistically to put in a williams lump and map it etc.
My blue shell is getting really tired now anyway, so can nick all the bits from that for now :)

225 powered mk2
Nice digidash unit in there mate, i run the digidash, looks so right in there instead of standard clocks, i made a mounting plate, check my thread :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah I'll get a sheet of carbon or similar to mount it in.

dash%201%20web.jpg

I love how configurable the dash2 is with so many inputs and alarms etc, only downside is they can be hard to read when the sun is on them I've found in the past.

Look great on though :)

race-technology-dash-2-race-and-road-dashboard.png

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Decided to go with my plan of putting a Williams engine in for a while so I can develop the car while I'm working on the engine conversion on the other front end.

My blue mk1 shell is getting a bit tired so I've decided to bin it and use the engine from that.

Yanked it out yesterday from the blue one and this afternoon have put it in this one.

Will make a new loom for it on autronic management so that I can sort the ecu/dash/car wiring all out and then when the Honda engine goes in that side of it will all be sorted and I'll just need to alter the loom for the Honda lump and map it

6fba027e.jpg

Last edited: