ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Clio project (8500rpm + boost)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Come on chip, be honest, Inspired you didn't I.....

Mate, that is absolutely true, saw you were doing yours, knew I had a long weekend that I was free for half of so figured I had no excuse not to do the same.

Going to be a big push now to be ready for llandow though, although it looks like its now one, there is just so much still to do on the wiring and mapping side etc.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You bringing this to the next meet chip?

Good work btw!

Llandow is my target and then french car show mate :)

Then maybe some local meets after that, although really its only meant as a trackday car rather than a show car.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I may take mine to TDF to get wired up.

I don't think i've got the time or indeed the patience.

Yours looks better though, owing to the fact yours isn't 5 different colours! lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah paint wise Im quite lucky with it, its still in pretty good condition from that respect.

Just ordered a load of the random little bits its easy to forget about when costing projects up etc.

Race battery + mount
Fire extinguisher (just a handheld)
Lightweight heater
Wiring braid and heat shrinks and connectors
Fuse holders and fuses
Switches
Relays

Over half a grand gone just on those random little bits, amazing how it all adds up.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You dont normally notice the cost when its over a period of time, but now that Daniel has inspired me to have my mk1 ready to play with his at llandow it means im buying everything all at once, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I've fitted the dash now :)

90a7ff9a.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You dont normally notice the cost when its over a period of time, but now that Daniel has inspired me to have my mk1 ready to play with his at llandow it means im buying everything all at once, lol

Woah woah woah there!! I'm making no promises!! If its not ready I've a couple of cars lined up to take its place.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If I could leave the house, i'd crack on, but I can't go more than 20 steps from the toilet.

Having a few runny poo issues....

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im sure you can find a cork or something Daniel. Like Russ says, we need you there to bolster the REAL clio numbers on the day.

Started wiring in the new ECU today, still a lot of work left to do but its all starting to come together now.

Feeling fairly confident for llandow although am working away from home for the next few weeks so will only get weekends to look at it.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've just had a new car loom (secondhand) delivered yesterday, and a nice shiney Seat Ibiza rad has literally just been delivered.

My parts are getting there...

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cool stuff mate :)

At least you just have to fit the loom and fire it up, not make it from scratch and then create a base map and then map it, lol, but seeing as Ive got glass in my shell etc, I still think you've probably got more work to do than I have so I hope you can find the time.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've got a car loom but none of it fits! lol.

The loom is from a mk1, the dash clocks are from a ph1 172 and the engine loom was homemade by beaniemoo on here.

Lets be honest, we'll be lucky if either of us make it there in a mk1! lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I was under the impression it had all been running ok in your donor mk1 so just a case of swapping from one to the other? Or is that not the case?
And it sounds like your mate Sam is a handy guy to help you out if you get stuck?

I'm still fairly hopeful I'll make it, fair amount to but none of it is rocket science and Ive got nearly all the parts I need now, but on the other hand I dont want to rush things as I want them done to an acceptable standard.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
He is very handy, sadly both he and I are completely useless when it comes to electrics.

My old one was running the standard dash, with heaters, ****, elec windows etc etc. My blue one has just the dials from a ph1 172. So I need to remove all of the rest of the loom. Neither of us have done anything like that before though.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
God chip get on with it Ffs, not enough progress being done.just not acceptable!

I jest of course, good work :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
He is very handy, sadly both he and I are completely useless when it comes to electrics.

My old one was running the standard dash, with heaters, ****, elec windows etc etc. My blue one has just the dials from a ph1 172. So I need to remove all of the rest of the loom. Neither of us have done anything like that before though.

Are you using 172 wiper stalks etc too?
i think you're going to need to use the whole lot so you can use as much of the 172 loom as possible to keep it electronically.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
God chip get on with it Ffs, not enough progress being done.just not acceptable!

I jest of course, good work :)

Haha, look who's talking.

Been progressing as much as I can tbh, pretty much all me and the mrs have been doing with our spare time last couple days.

Waiting on some wiring bits before I can finish the engine loom so going to install seats and make up a spacer for the steering wheel next as the 172 stalks sit to close to the one I want to use.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
No chip, i'm using the 172 clocks only, the stalks etc are all mk1 stuff.

Ive got the wiring diagram, just don't know what any of it means.

Are you running a heater box etc?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ah you'll have to cut and shut a mk1 and 172 loom together then I would imagine, not a conversion I've personally done though I'm afraid.

Ive ordered a rally heater which I'll be installing for windows and feet and I wont be using the vents.

BMW M5 & E36
No chip, i'm using the 172 clocks only, the stalks etc are all mk1 stuff.

Ive got the wiring diagram, just don't know what any of it means.

Is it Jords diagram you have? You need the red and grey connectors with a short length of wire attached from a Ph1 172 loom, then join them to the relevant wires that go to the mk1 plugs as per that diagram. Easy enough, just a bit of patience and a steady hand with the soldering iron. Well worth it, getting rid of the speedo cable is enough of a reason alone!

IMG_3690-1024.jpg

BMW M5 & E36
No, Ph1 172 or 172 Cup sensor in the gearbox (where the speedo cable would usually go), then there's a plug in the Ph1 engine loom which connects to it, depending whether Beanie left it in his loom or not. The lack of speedo cable was one of the main reasons for me running them.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes the 172 clocks are defiantly electronic not mechanical.
Early phase 2 and cups and phase 1 are a sender in the box and late 172 and 182 use the abs.

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Got the drivers seat mounted in yesterday to try out the driving position etc and annoyingly the pedal box is really not in a good position, feels awful, dont know how the hell AndyRG drove it when he owned this shell TBH.

The problem is that the floor of the clio isnt flat at the front, it curves up where it meets the bulkhead, and the pedal box he used is a floor hinged setup so it needs to be mounted flat really, with it mounted on an incline like it currently is it means that your feet are contorting all sorts of ways they dont want to in order to operate it.
I tried moving it up just onto a block of wood to test altering the position of it and that improved things a fair bit, so will make up a new mount to move it to there, but my mrs is longer in the leg than in the arm as it were, and to get her legs out relatively straight so that she's in the ideal driving position for this type of pedal box means that she then cant comfortably reach the steering wheel or gear lever.

So looks like to get the correct driving position im going to need to move both the gear lever and the steering wheel, the gear lever needs just to come straight back, but the steering wheel needs to come back a bit and down a fair amount.
Its not a huge issue, but likely to be relatively time consuming to get right and is work I hadnt scheduled into my plans for getting it ready for llandow (im only home for about 5 days between now and then due to work commitments keeping me away) so looks like im going to be joining Daniel in the "probably not going to be there" camp now for the mk1 :( although im still going to crack on and try.

Evo 5 RS
Take the Exige please. lol

Your mk1 is being an awkward s**t because it knows it's getting a superb engine at some stage.

It's like telling your son you're going to get him a PS3 and you come home with a tamagotchi, a french one

Last edited:

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
It's a shame it isn't going to make it to Llandow, I was looking forward to seeing it Chip. Porkie cements his 'Hero' status above ^^^^. legend. Take the exige! Shame you aren't going Porkie and bringing your Westfield, I really want to see that in action at some point as well (and meet you, but that's secondary to the cars to be honest ;))

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You can take my cup to llandlow if you like mate or Exige

Thanks for the very kind offer mate, but its ok as we have the RS2 Phase 2 which the mrs will be taking anyway no doubt (burpspeed said we can use one car in the morning then swap to the other in the afternoon so can just use it all day instead)

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Take the Exige please. lol

Your mk1 is being an awkward s**t because it knows it's getting a superb engine at some stage.

It's like telling your son you're going to get him a PS3 and you come home with a tamagotchi, a french one

FLOL!

Yeah that would explain it.

It should understand though that I need to get the rest of the car working first anyway, at least me and it can then learn to go round corners etc properly together with the williams engine. Pesky thing :(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It's a shame it isn't going to make it to Llandow, I was looking forward to seeing it Chip. Porkie cements his 'Hero' status above ^^^^. legend. Take the exige! Shame you aren't going Porkie and bringing your Westfield, I really want to see that in action at some point as well (and meet you, but that's secondary to the cars to be honest ;))

Will still try my best to get it there, just negotiated an extra couple of days away from work between now and the event, so might be back in with a chance.

Porkie's westy is totally immense, everyone on here should try and get a passenger ride at some point, its certainly the most fun you can have with another man in something resembling a bathtub, well unless you are gay maybe, lol

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I've resigned myself to the fact that mine won't be ready so we've bought another 182 for the burpspeed day. Collecting it tonight.