ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Clio project (8500rpm + boost)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Good chance to show it off to people as well, maybe he'll have sold it by the end of the trackday, what other company lets you testdrive a car around a racetrack before you buy it? lol

53 Clio's & counting
so looks like im going to be joining Daniel in the "probably not going to be there" camp now for the mk1 :( although im still going to crack on and try.

I've resigned myself to the fact that mine won't be ready so we've bought another 182 for the burpspeed day. Collecting it tonight.

:( (Imagine me singing 'Lonely' in the voice of Kim jong il in Team America :( )

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Made some progress this weekend but most of it was just stuff like wiring so not got pictures of that but got one showing the new driving position.

Have lowered the steering column down and have extended it and fitted a popoff boss for the wheel.
Also moved the gear lever back a few inches to keep it in the correct position relative to the steering wheel and seat.

6397afac.jpg

Pedals next weekend and a bit more wiring but sadly am working away from home till Friday and I'm drifting on Sunday and camping over sat evening so prob only going to get a few hours near the car realistically.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The mrs tried it: "Feels more like sitting in an arcade machine than a car"

Was tempted to reply "Because racecar" lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah, if you compare it to the picture from earlier in the thread with the 172 clocks in a different clio, you can certainly spot the difference!

IMG_3690-1024.jpg

Probably halved the distance between the wheel and the gear lever TBH which can only help when driving it on track :)

Had also had to move the handbrake over to make room for where the gear lever sits as well, as it was going to hit it otherwise.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Too low? Just trying to visualise the driving position. Maybe it's the height of the original clocks that's deceiving things?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Too low for what?
I wouldn't want to parellel park it that's for sure as visibility is a bit worse sat that far back, but I see no downside on track really. You're not sat very low in the seat, my crash helmet is within a couple of inches of touching the roof still.
My mini trackday car was very similar to this for example and that was fantastic to drive.

Last edited:
  BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Too low for what?
I wouldn't want to parellel park it that's for sure as visibility is a bit worse sat that far back, but I see no downside on track really. You're not sat very low in the seat, my crash helmet is within a couple of inches of touching the roof still.
My mini trackday car was very similar to this for example and that was fantastic to drive.

I know everyone has a different preference when it comes to a seating position but I was thinking more about the angle of your arms to the wheel. If you are still sat quite high does the wheel feel like its in your lap etc?
It was just an observation more than anything else Chip. Nice work with moving the gear lever back :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Perhaps that picture is making it look even lower than it is just because I was holding my phone quite high when I took it (ie the phone was higher than the steering wheel) which is obviously causing a bit of a parallax error when looking at the picture etc.

I'll get a cheesy picture of me or the mrs sat in it at the weekend if I think of it when I am near the car mate, but because your legs are out so much straighter than normal it doesnt feel like the wheel is too low, its in front of your chest basically rather than in your lap.
Sort of like this :

cp_chilton.jpg

(although his legs when driving would be extended a little more than sat there relaxed like that so it looks closer to his legs than it will be when he is actually driving)

I can easily move it back up a bit though if I do find it feels too low when I get to drive it rather than at the moment where I can only sit in it and make brum brum noises, lol :)

Last edited:
  BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
^^now I like that driving position! I see what you are saying about the angle of the photo.

We are also in the "Brum Brum noise only" club too. I'm hoping to find the exit soon:)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think if anything he looks too close to the wheel, his elbows must be properly bent, but it obviously works well for him, lol, mind you it might just be cause he isnt strapped back in properly yet which would no doubt pull his shoulders back and so straighten his arms more.

Yeah the brum brum noises only club seems to have a lot of members on here at the moment, especially among the mk1 contingent, lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Have altered the way that I have dropped the steering wheel down now so that its a fixed block on the mountings nearest to you and on the one further away its on two threaded sections with a nut above and below the brack which means I can loose the nuts off, move the column up or down and then tighten them up, not as easily adjustable as a proper movable column of course but at least it will allow me to tweak the driving position a bit.

Im not sure if I will get on with B&M short shift though, its a wonderfully made piece of kit but I think with how aggressive I tend to be on the gears it might be asking a bit much of the synchros in the box so I think I might swap back to a normal gear lever instead as its either that or learn to be more gentle, lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Well my new target date (more realistic one) is the next burpspeed day, so hopefully it can all be done by then, have booked a week off work in august which I think will be enough to finish the outstanding bits as im unlikely to get much time to touch it before then due to other commitments.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Forgot to update a couple of weeks ago, I actually drove this around briefly.
Clutch cable went though and it was last day of the MOT, so I will have to wait till I have a new MOT till I can drive it again now.

No rush though as having a few months off from trackdays now anyway. Will aim to have it out either for bedford in feb or combe in april.

Evo 8 MR
Forgot to update a couple of weeks ago, I actually drove this around briefly.
Clutch cable went though and it was last day of the MOT, so I will have to wait till I have a new MOT till I can drive it again now.

No rush though as having a few months off from trackdays now anyway. Will aim to have it out either for bedford in feb or combe in april.

With the honda engine?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
With the honda engine?

No mate, with the Williams lump, I want the mrs to get a year of trackdays in it N/A to really get a feel for the car first before I go doubling the power, my schedule has slipped cause of our phase 1 turbo that I never intended to have when I started this thread, but cause of that it means I have the perfect opportunity now for her to get used to the more racey feel of a car like this on moderate power (pedal box with no servo etc), but also to get used to the power delivery of a turbo in the phase 1, so will be aiming to get her out in both cars over the next year to get her some more experience, she is pretty good in her 172, but thats a very basic spec so much easier to drive than either of these 2.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you want an extra pair of hands mate just holla

Hands as skilled as yours are always wanted mate (edit: on cars, that sounded well gay, lol), just tell me when you are free!

I think I'll be around a bit more :)

Pleased to here it mate ;)
Let me know if you guys fancy going out for a meal one evening etc now you are practically on our doorstep.

Evo 8 MR
No mate, with the Williams lump, I want the mrs to get a year of trackdays in it N/A to really get a feel for the car first before I go doubling the power, my schedule has slipped cause of our phase 1 turbo that I never intended to have when I started this thread, but cause of that it means I have the perfect opportunity now for her to get used to the more racey feel of a car like this on moderate power (pedal box with no servo etc), but also to get used to the power delivery of a turbo in the phase 1, so will be aiming to get her out in both cars over the next year to get her some more experience, she is pretty good in her 172, but thats a very basic spec so much easier to drive than either of these 2.

Not a bad idea, I take it your going to build the honda engine up over the next year?

Also why no servo?

Hands as skilled as yours are always wanted mate (edit: on cars, that sounded well gay, lol), just tell me when you are free!

Pleased to here it mate ;)
Let me know if you guys fancy going out for a meal one evening etc now you are practically on our doorstep.

PMSL! Just a tad! More likely give me a text when your on it mate and I'll more than likely be around. It'll be weekend evenings as I'm on nights still.

Also why no servo?

BECAUSE RACECAR

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Not a bad idea, I take it your going to build the honda engine up over the next year?

Yeah I have a spare frontend that I am doing the engine side of things in parallel with developing the car itself.
The ECU I am running on the cammed williams lump in it currently is the same one that I will be using the honda engine, so it means I can get the dash and wheel speed sensors and all that side of things all up and running with the current engine properly and then no that it will all just work when I swap to the honda one.
So im sort of doing it in 2 halves, one just for the mechanical changes to accomodate the honda engine, and one for the rest of the car.

This is the engine currently in the spare front end I am using for mocking up that side of things:
240c5613.jpg

Also why no servo?
Race pedal boxes never tend to run servos, its just more weight and complexity that you dont really need, but the firmer pedal takes some getting used to when you get rid of them if you are used to driving with them.

Evo 8 MR
PMSL! Just a tad! More likely give me a text when your on it mate and I'll more than likely be around. It'll be weekend evenings as I'm on nights still.

BECAUSE RACECAR

I knew I would get that response after I typed it. ;)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Im doing dev work for toyota up near london at the moment midweek anyway mate, so weekends is exactly what I had in mine.
See you soon then hopefully :)

BECAUSE RACECAR

Flol

Evo 8 MR
Race pedal boxes never tend to run servos, its just more weight and complexity that you dont really need, but the firmer pedal takes some getting used to when you get rid of them if you are used to driving with them.

Have you driven without one? I imagine it will give a firmer feel which I like the sound of tbh. I always found even with an upgraded OEM setup it still felt a bit soft for me.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Have you driven without one? I imagine it will give a firmer feel which I like the sound of tbh. I always found even with an upgraded OEM setup it still felt a bit soft for me.

Yes Ive got quite a lot of experience of non servo trackday and race cars, but my mrs hasnt.

Basically what happened was I got a bit carried away with how good I thought she was on track, because for example at bedford there is almost nothing in it between me and her driving our RS2 car, but when I gave her the keys to the turbo at Donnington (track she doesnt know and car she isnt used to) it became apparent that while she is very good in her own car on tracks she is familiar with, lacking my experience of jumping in and out of loads of different cars means that she takes a lot longer to adapt to different cars than I do, so while I was thinking she was essentially of a similar driving standard to me on track, the reality is that she has only got a couple of years trackday experience not 20 odd, and I have to remember that, so I need to not throw her in at the deep end too much or its not fair on her, so Im trying to progress what she drives at a sensible rate to how her driving is improving.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just arranged to buy a pair of quaiffe diffs for this and my turbo. Bit pointless really putting a diff in this when the engine will only be in it a year but it can always go in my mrs daily after I've finished with it here I guess, or just be sold on again.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah, I can get them for about 20 percent off normal retail money. So have bought one that way and the other is a second hand one.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As above mate, one is new, one is secondhand.
The secondhand one though comes without a crownwheel on it, so will need to send that off to quaiffe to have a crownwheel machined and fitted.

Probably going to use a phase 2 final drive on the mk1, and a phase 1 final drive on the turbo, as the phase 1 final drive is a little too tall for the mk1 really.

Evo 5 RS
Ah, soz.

Was just having a read through, what with what Russ is doing with his S2000 I'm sorely tempted to just jump ship now. Had enough of F4Rs to last me a life time

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wow, thats unusual, the gaskets are normally super reliable.

When I pulled the mrs F4R apart to put in supertech valves etc the gasket still looked like new, and it had done over 140K