ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Cup on steelies

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
My alloys are in need of a refurb, so I bought some Laguna 15" steelies and some 195/50/15 tyres. Painted the babies matt black (although they may turn white yet) and banged them on. I never realised how much difference the Turinis made to the track..
Image029.jpg

Image030.jpg

Image031-1.jpg

Image032.jpg

Pearl Black 172
Would they be that good as a track wheel? Cant imagine them letting much if any air to the brakes?

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Would they be that good as a track wheel? Cant imagine them letting much if any air to the brakes?

I reckon you'd have to be driving with your brain unplugged to notice the difference!

It's a very light car, don't forget, the brakes won't take that much hammer unless you're the Stig!

EDIT: I'll let you know in November when I've been to Oulton Park on them...

Pearl Black 172
Ah right cool, i've never done a track day but would love to do one when i've got some cash together. what kind of costs am i looking at?

Clio 172
these would finish it off . . .

wh653-14.jpg

spinning hubcaps!!

only joking, would be cool to have a set of wheels for winter use.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Ah right cool, i've never done a track day but would love to do one when i've got some cash together. what kind of costs am i looking at?

I paid £119, plus £9 adverse weather insurance. Trackday insurance is optional, but not cheap.

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
Looks un-cared for :(

How so? Cars aren't meant to spend their days spotless and shiny, they're meant to be used, get dirty, take stuff to the tip! It'll look a whole heap better once the Turinis have been refurbed and repainted in my special top-secret new colour, but until then it's not getting washed until February. No point, it'll just get filthy again in a week.

Ph1 172 + Combo van
im going to run steelies over the winter. refurb my alloys and keep the miles off my real tyres.

Looks un-cared for :(

How so? Cars aren't meant to spend their days spotless and shiny, they're meant to be used, get dirty, take stuff to the tip! It'll look a whole heap better once the Turinis have been refurbed and repainted in my special top-secret new colour, but until then it's not getting washed until February. No point, it'll just get filthy again in a week.

:rolleyes:

The steelies make it look un-cared for. I understand why you've done it.

a thirsty one
i have a set of steelies as well, i painted mine gloss black though and decided to do a 2 inch wide arctic blue stripe from centre to the edge and few coats laquer.

4 x 2005 steelies with tyres were £5.50 binned the tyres and fitted some yoko parada spec 2's used them at silverstone and will be back on for angelsey and oulton park. wish my budget could stretch to some alloy 15 for track but they will do for now. not had any issues with brake heat yet the 182 alloy isnt very good for cooling anyway, i have uprated brakes though.

do em gloss and laquer them mate will look a little less neglected, may see you at oulton park sometime we can park our steelie packing clios together lol

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
^^^21st November I'm at Oulton, along with a few mates: Porsche Cayman S, Audi R8 and possibly a Porsche 997 GT3.

Monaco RS Clio 172
not gonna wash it til feb?

wow ... I am honestly quite shocked.

I know some people take the p1ss and go a month without even a quick once over.. but blimey.

when you do wash it in feburary are you not worried the grime may have caused damage to your paint?

172 Cup, AX trackbeast.
not gonna wash it til feb?

wow ... I am honestly quite shocked.

I know some people take the p1ss and go a month without even a quick once over.. but blimey.

when you do wash it in feburary are you not worried the grime may have caused damage to your paint?

Nope. A good wash now, followed by a liberal coating of wax will see it right. Been doing this for years now, never had a single problem.

Plus it looks fan-damn-tastic when you do wash it again.

Washing a car in winter is utterly pointless, in my opinion. It'll only be filthy a week later and you're back at the beginning of the cycle...

a thirsty one
^^^21st November I'm at Oulton, along with a few mates: Porsche Cayman S, Audi R8 and possibly a Porsche 997 GT3.

thats some fancy company, always a few porkers at oulton.
im at oulton 28th nov, angelsey end oct.

there is something quite liberating about smoking round on the 15's which rubber wise are cheap as hell compared to the £100+ for the pe2's