ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My E36 328i Sport

Is it f**k. It still keeps giving me 'check coolant' obc message and the coolant is fine every time. The steering wheel clock spring has knackered, so I've ordered a hub/boss for an aftermarket wheel that still hasn't turned up. Ball joint nut keeps coming loose, top mount nut keeps coming loose... Need to sort out the niggles first. Only little jobs, but it's f**king impossible when you need it for work 6 days a week!

Need a daily so bad. 106D mmmmmmm

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Is it f**k. It still keeps giving me 'check coolant' obc message and the coolant is fine every time. The steering wheel clock spring has knackered, so I've ordered a hub/boss for an aftermarket wheel that still hasn't turned up. Ball joint nut keeps coming loose, top mount nut keeps coming loose... Need to sort out the niggles first. Only little jobs, but it's f**king impossible when you need it for work 6 days a week!

Need a daily so bad. 106D mmmmmmm

This is what makes me not want to touch mine, how perfect it is daily.

I walked to it at 7:10am this morning to set off to work, in the darkness, and I actually had that fukn though. "You're too good to me to modify you with cheap parts."

E36 pulling the heart strings.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Mine's staying as is. Just gonna tighten up with polybushes and get geometry sorted. It's already dropped 50mm or so. Drives so smoothly I'd just ruin it.

Oh yeah, got a daily.
IMAG0699_zpswkt9lo5e.jpg

£250. It's like having a first car again!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Jesus christ. How can you drive round in that. I'd honestly rather get the bus.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
My ASC light tends to come on and stay on when I've given it some beans and it's verging on wheel spinning. Plus it's not just the light, the ASC actually stays off! What's that all about? Loose wire?

It's covered in mud, it'll be reet. As said it gets me to work. My commute is approx 20 minutes doing 30mph and 40 minutes sat in traffic. It's going to save me a s**t load. Even taking insurance/tax into consideration.

My ASC light tends to come on and stay on when I've given it some beans and it's verging on wheel spinning. Plus it's not just the light, the ASC actually stays off! What's that all about? Loose wire?

The throttle butterfly/cable that's controlled by traction control (there's two throttle bodies on ASC equipped cars). If you turn on your car and pull the cable, the ASC light comes on and stays on so there's a good chance it's related!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Ah right ok I'll have a proper look when I get chance. 'Dave F' style homemade kit has come off now, the bloody filter had rubbed on something and worn the neck away and the cone was hanging off!

That's what happens when an accountant attempts mechanics. Lost the bloody nuts that secure the original airbox to the car tho! What size are they do you know?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
There he is - LOVES IT. Ta mate.

Any ideas to the ASC light issue Jord?

Last edited:
It's too wide. It didn't occur to me that DriftWorks might not have accommodated wider based seats with their mounts, so I've got some chopping to do. Also triggered the airbag light, so that's going to need sorting. FML. Looks good though.

IMG_20140125_162259_zpsvitxp4zy.jpg

Fiesta ST-3
I'd have left the luxurious leather one in to be honest until you found a matching one... But then again it's not my car! I love reading the E36 threads, I would love a tourer!

Couldn't quite believe how much the leather seats weigh. It's ridiculous! No point in waiting, I'm not going to benefit in any way - not a daily anymore.

They weigh a TONNE, absolute joke really. Very good for cruising about but anything else just no!

Had the same seat in mine but I'm just used to really deep ones for track day driving so did a swap. Was a really good all rounder though!

Small update:
I've raised the front end - I liked the way it looked, but ultimately it drove like s**t. (sits ever so slightly lower than this on a level road)

e36rideheight_zpsda06cda7.jpg

Took it for a geometry setup, was surprised how bad the rear end was considering I'd not touched it and I've not slid it into a kerb. Previous owner must have been talking s**t when he told me he'd had it aligned...

e36geo_zpsb139f54e.jpg

And fitted a cheapo exhaust that doesn't fit right. Sounds good though. And it's light! (Will try and make it fit better at some point - it's against the rear subframe near the diff at the moment, yet it needs to go further towards the diff to make it sit right in the bumper. Odd one.) Also it's far too shiny, so I'll probably spray the box in VHT black paint. Horrid looking thing!

328exhaust_zps6ac579f7.jpg

Also, the Recaro is in properly and is AMAZING. Seriously best seat ever.
M20 Flywheel arrived - 6.9kg. So well under half the weight of a DMF. Just need a starter motor and a clutch kit, but that's going to have to wait as I'm completely skint for this month. Weirdly the clutch isn't slipping anymore, but I still want to change it just because of the single mass flywheel and for piece of mind really. I'm then going to have a good check over the cooling system as I keep getting a "Check Coolant Level" OBC warning every time I start it and turn it off; it's probably just a sensor, but again it's just piece of mind. I want to remove the viscous fan and want to know what kind of condition the VANOS is in - really doesn't feel as fast as when I bought it and it's not like I'm using it every day to get used to it!

That's all for now!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
yep! mines being done soon and i expect the same!! bloody hell.

£140 IF NOTHING's seized? I rang them and they said they couldn't do mine as the arches hang over the rear tyres.

Yeah, something like that. Jon.G and another friend have had their 3-series set up there so can vouch for their work - they know what they're doing! I imagine that'll be because they can't fit the alignment gear onto the wheel. Raise it up a bit ;)

I think if you just want the toe adjustments doing it'll be much cheaper. Mine included camber and them setting the height so it adds to the cost

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
can't, it's on springs!

taking it to the garage on the locks to get it powerflexed front and rear. will ask if he can have a go at freeing bits up so i can take it to grinspeed or blink motorsport

Mine used to touch the stud (front of the rear subframe), i ended up bending the pipe out of the way in a press. This was soon resolved when I swapped the studs for the E90 bolts to hold the subframe in place (dont stick down in the way). I've swapped to the stock backbox now anyway so its not a problem anymore... but seems to be a common thing with aftermarket ones!

E36 328i
Have you got access to a code reader? I have read the error memory on mine and got back that Vanos is jammed. Got a second (extremely cheap) vanos unit and replaced the seals. That part is really easy, takes 5 mins to replace them, its removal of the old one that's slightly more complicated.

Yeah, something like that. Jon.G and another friend have had their 3-series set up there so can vouch for their work - they know what they're doing! I imagine that'll be because they can't fit the alignment gear onto the wheel. Raise it up a bit ;)

I think if you just want the toe adjustments doing it'll be much cheaper. Mine included camber and them setting the height so it adds to the cost

£140 Isn't that bad. I guess some of it depends on the design of your suspension. The camber plates on the front of the E46 are a bit crap, so the damper had to be unbolted every time the plate needed adjusting. Obviously this added to the cost. Same as the E36 (and probably most cars)

I'm sure Joe will agree that the drive difference is night and day after its been properly set up, as with any car.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Yeah guess that's why I've been really struggling to get a concrete quote for my e36.

Really annoying though, I like to be able to budget!!

Mine used to touch the stud (front of the rear subframe), i ended up bending the pipe out of the way in a press. This was soon resolved when I swapped the studs for the E90 bolts to hold the subframe in place (dont stick down in the way). I've swapped to the stock backbox now anyway so its not a problem anymore... but seems to be a common thing with aftermarket ones!

I think it's actually against the subframe, so I'm going to have to bend it somehow. Need to take a better look at it tbh. It's odd, because it's pressed against the other side of the bumper, so it's like they've not bent it enough when it was made...

Have you got access to a code reader? I have read the error memory on mine and got back that Vanos is jammed. Got a second (extremely cheap) vanos unit and replaced the seals. That part is really easy, takes 5 mins to replace them, its removal of the old one that's slightly more complicated.

I know someone with a code reader yeah, I'll try get it plugged in and have a look. I'm dead certain it feels slower and it's kind of pissing me off! Thing is, it could be a number of different things. Just VANOS is the first thing that springs to mind and is relatively easy to check!