ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My E36 328i Sport

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Speaking of clutches, think mines on its way out, have to put my foot through the floor to change gear

Clear indicators & 15mm spacers added.

11498947776_5ba678e90e_c.jpg

Really unsure whether to bother putting on the rear 'coilovers'. The gap between the arch and tyre is fairly similar as it is now, so I'm not sure there's really much point... Also possible awesome seat content on the way...

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Looking better mate!

I'd say get the rear coilies on though! I know you don't use it on track but mis matching suspension doesn't seem a grand idea to me.

What suspension is on the back? looks a lot like how mine sits with eibach pro springs.

Bilstein dampers with eibach springs. So yeah, it'll be similar. And I'm hoping to track it eventually, but I'll be investing in some better suspension when that happens. This is pure daily spec at the moment, need to buy a shitter for my commute to work so I can start making this thing proper!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
How does it get along then as a daily being that low?

I'd like mine to sit similar in the future, but don't want to be scuffing sumps!

How does it get along then as a daily being that low?

I'd like mine to sit similar in the future, but don't want to be scuffing sumps!

It's fine. Only issue I've ever had was yesterday when I ran over a large rock (no chance to avoid it). It made a lot of noise, hit a load of s**t underneath but the sump was untouched. As Jord said, other stuff would hit the ground first. Main issue is the tyres coming into contact with the wings tbh. Only happens on the passenger side now I've reduced the spacer size, and that's only because I've not added enough negative camber. Speedbumps etc are a non-issue!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Stuff hits the chassis rails and exhaust first, sump is plenty safe enough!

It's fine. Only issue I've ever had was yesterday when I ran over a large rock (no chance to avoid it). It made a lot of noise, hit a load of s**t underneath but the sump was untouched. As Jord said, other stuff would hit the ground first. Main issue is the tyres coming into contact with the wings tbh. Only happens on the passenger side now I've reduced the spacer size, and that's only because I've not added enough negative camber. Speedbumps etc are a non-issue!

Cheers!

Are your wheels genuine M3 ones? I was told the sport BBS would sit fine with 15mm spacers and no rubbing, surely the sizes can't be that different?

Got a GoPro for Christmas, just been having a little play - thought the exhaust would be a good test subject :approve:

Suction mount is on the way... :clown:

Last edited by a moderator:
  3 Series touring
It's probably worth putting the rear coilovers on if you have them! If you're going to do it at some point anyway. If it hasn't already had them you can use that as an opportunity to replace the standard rear top mounts with the e46/z3 ones with reinforcement plates.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
It's probably worth putting the rear coilovers on if you have them! If you're going to do it at some point anyway. If it hasn't already had them you can use that as an opportunity to replace the standard rear top mounts with the e46/z3 ones with reinforcement plates.

Care to elaborate on this mate? What are the benefits?

3 Series touring
Apparently the way that the rear dampers are attached (two bolts hold the strut in from the underneath) puts lots of stress on the sheet metal that the bolts go through. Under lots of hard cornering or on a very old car the sheet metal is known to snap:
27415d1232227727-failed-rear-shock-towers-e36-rsm_failure.jpgIMG_1455.jpg

When the time came to design the Z3/E46 tops BMW changed the design and you can buy uprated ones on Ebay. The uprated ones have a plate that spreads the force more evenly - currently working with my brother on an E36 328i project and for about £14 we thought it was worth it.

I have some Z3 plates on mine and they still aren't really sufficient for heavy track day use IMO. Without them the top mount area would be knackered by now mind! Going to come up with something to weld in to place with more surface area this year.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Apparently the way that the rear dampers are attached (two bolts hold the strut in from the underneath) puts lots of stress on the sheet metal that the bolts go through. Under lots of hard cornering or on a very old car the sheet metal is known to snap:
View attachment 107442View attachment 107443

When the time came to design the Z3/E46 tops BMW changed the design and you can buy uprated ones on Ebay. The uprated ones have a plate that spreads the force more evenly - currently working with my brother on an E36 328i project and for about £14 we thought it was worth it.

After seeing those pics I'd be a fool not to, thanks for sharing!
JoeyD did you have any problems with fitting the JOM's to a 'sport? They say they aren't compatible with "MTEC" But not sure if that's M3 or 'sports.