ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My E36 328i Sport

It's been a while.
Since getting a new job at KIA a few months ago, I decided it was only right to get a new car too. The MR2 I had previously was fun, but I'd lost a lot of love for roadsters/convertibles after owning three MX5's previously. So it was time for a change. I sold my MR2 Roadster to my housemate who's MX5 got written off when a taxi pulled out in front of him. Poor lad. (http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...s-shed-of-an-MX5-(Fully-s**t-content)/page11)
I'd already decided what I wanted to replace the Toyota, so set about finding a good E36 to go and spend some pennies on.
I got quite lucky and bought the first one I went to see. (original advert here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-BMW-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557)

It's a '98 in OrientBlau, with some M3 bits and pieces added, including wing mirrors and genuine staggered wheels.

9878900473_e072f07a27_c.jpg

10386321704_77e337f24a_c.jpg

9878792864_d439415db5_c.jpg

As you can see, there was a few little bits that needed renewing/replacing, number plates, indicators, bonnet badge, rusty boot lid.
It started off well. I ordered some fresh new number plates from Fancy Plates; big improvement IMO!
I couldn't stand the frankly chavvy pressed 'german' plates & surrounds. Very naff.

IMG_20130928_141916_zpsa1674e9a.jpg

And then it kinda went downhill... I thought it would be such a great idea to buy coilovers that cost £174. Nice one.
They arrived and if anyone's ever had Rokkor coilovers for their Clio, they're exactly the same. Heavy as f**k too. Disposable suspension FTW though I guess...

IMG_20131004_181507_zps9e845bc3.jpg

Decided to have a bash at fitting them and immediately ran into issues. I would need some spacers for the wheels to clear the coilovers and, being an idiot, instead of buying 5mm ones I bought 20mm ones. What a spastic. Tried them on and yes, they're massive.

IMAG0370_zpse203daae.jpg

Going to need camber adjustable top mounts now FFS. So again instead of saving up for quality items, I bought cheapo chinese crap.
This also pointed out another fault with the car. Some useless c**t has completely stripped the threads of a wheel bolt hole in the hub. Great, new hub needed...

IMAG0368_zps7190474d.jpg

Eddie did try and help me out by attempting to fit a helicoil, but apparently E36 hubs are made from diamond and refuse to be drilled/tapped.

IMAG0387_zpsc5997e52.jpg

Got on with fitting the coilovers regardless and the drivers side went on without much effort. It's only when I got to the passenger side that I ran into problems. Problems caused by me being retarded. Lefty loosey, righty tighty; it's not hard to remember. Alas, I still haven't grasped that concept, and so sheared a bolt inside the hub. Great. Now I need two replacement hubs. Thankfully, it was only £30 for both sides, but still. Large pain in the arse!
I drove the car with one side lowered and with a couple of fairly important bolts missing for about a month and a half due to either being on holiday, or just busy with other stuff.

11207642515_fa16b71a08_c.jpg

11207764743_68af02d570_c.jpg

Looks great, right...
But this weekend I finally got the opportunity to get things sorted. Went down to Oli's house (TV E36 thread here: http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?722000-Oli%92s-E36-M3-Photoshoot) and we had both front hubs replaced within a matter of hours. I say 'we', I pretty much stood and watched whilst he and his dad did everything. I even managed to f**k up putting on a new bonnet badge... lol

IMAG0550_zps6ddc44c1.jpg

Ruined hub

IMAG0548_zps4e793e42.jpg

Chinese top mounts

IMAG0549_zps8d5ae9cf.jpg

Loads of adjustment left on the coilovers too

IMAG0546_zps718fe846.jpg

And so today I decided to give it a wash and take some pictures. It's kinda getting there, I don't know what to do about the rear end yet, whether to bother with spacers and stuff, or even to lower it more. Who knows. I do know that I want an LSD and an M50 inlet, however. Maybe next year...

11271788884_923e35b6e7_c.jpg

11271808433_35ab26b5ed_c.jpg

11271795504_1bca48948a_c.jpg

11271798584_29aee4cf24_c.jpg

11271698895_d8078f3a90_c.jpg

11271717195_8811dc3dc7_c.jpg

11271808283_5dc55b8964_c.jpg

11271792574_3dcd36e999_c.jpg

11271802694_9fc4bc1988_c.jpg

What the f**k have you done to the front indicators? That looks awful!

Apart from that, decent. Sits nice.

Yup, they're broke anyways. So that's next on the list! They weren't OEM previously - kinda lexus chrome style s**te ones, I just sprayed them with some matte paint... Meh!
So I'll be onto BMW soon about new ones shortly.

Can't decide between orange or clear though. Hmmm

TTRS & V50
Lol at wonky ride height. Are they the 20mm spacers still on the front ? Too spaced for me tbh.

Other than that, it looks tidy.

Yeah, 20mm on the front. TBH I might have to get rid anyway as it does catch on full lock etc and, as you say it looks a bit odd. 15mm might have been a better choice in hindsight!

Ph1 track car, Dci
Must be interesting driving with one side lowered lol.

What camera are the pics taken with?

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Got potential, needs the indicators sorting and personally for me it needs the original sport BBS wheels back on it.

I'm kind of edging toward removing all the 'M3' guff. The wing mirrors are absolutely dire and I'm kind of in agreement about the wheels. Again, not decided what to do with it really.

172 Cup
As said it definitely looked its best in the first three pics..

Loss of those indicators, 20mm spacers changed for 10mm ones and a good clean! would sort this mind.

Could probably sell the 20mm's very easily.

In truth, I'd love a set of E34 M5 wheels, but they're stupidly expensive. We'll see...

Also worth pointing out that I'm trying to sort out the misted up headlights. They're really bugging me, along with the indicators.

100% Clear? Think you're probably right.

Thanks though. Congrats on the new house BTW!
Cheers Joey. Means that I won't be passing Kia any more though! :dapprove:

Always smile when I see this parked up at the end. It definitely needs indicators that match the rear though... or get amber for the rear too ;)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
10mm spacers or even 5mm. Clear indicators. Take headlights off, dry and reseal and it'll be awesome.

Do the headlights come apart on these as easy as they do on the E39 5 Series? Piece of piss to sort that misting if so.

Yeah, I've 'de-lensed' one headlamp in the hope that might work, but it hasn't. Going to just seal everything I can and hopefully that'll do the trick.

If not, some new Depo headlamps aren't going to cost the earth.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You've ruined it. If that's what you were trying to do, well done I think. :S

I must be getting old.

FTprobablestudent? Not been a student for about two years if that's what you're asking lol. Don't live with my parents though, so I've never had disposable income :( no fun!

Ah fair enough then. I'll move out of my parents house when my race car is finished. Priorities ;)

Fair. I would, but they still live in Yorkshire. And I've no business there anymore :(

Aye, I'm with you in a way. Not feeling the front headlamps/sides Joey.

As I've said, I'm not finished with those yet!

Clearly it's not for everyone (or anyone apparently lol) but I like it. It's a 1400 quid car, so I'm not arsed about 'ruining' it TBH.

Last edited:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Id like some coilovers for my M3 but I like how it drives atm...

Looks good joey, spacers are a bit big imo though

E36 328i
Thanks man.

The headlight fogging is doing my head in, no easy fix either it seems. They come apart so easily that it's hard to keep moisture out, unless they are sealed up completely and I'm not up for that.