ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My E36 328i Sport

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Small update:
I'm then going to have a good check over the cooling system as I keep getting a "Check Coolant Level" OBC warning every time I start it and turn it off; it's probably just a sensor, but again it's just piece of mind. I want to remove the viscous fan and want to know what kind of condition the VANOS is in - really doesn't feel as fast as when I bought it and it's not like I'm using it every day to get used to it!

That's all for now!

You have checked the coolant level right?

Might be the same seal as mine was on the radiator. Just remember to do the jubilee clips up right lol.

The cooling systems let these cars down somewhat.

Joe, if you want to remove the viscous fan, you'll need a 32mm spanner and (possibly, but not for certain) a pulley locking tool.

I have a 32mm spanner, and Mr Garrett has the pulley locking tool.

Sometimes a firm strike on the spanner is enough to undo the fan, sometimes the belts don't hold the pulley and then the tool is required.

You have checked the coolant level right?

Might be the same seal as mine was on the radiator. Just remember to do the jubilee clips up right lol.

The cooling systems let these cars down somewhat.

Yup. It's never moved. Might try bleeding it, but the temperature gauge never moves from half way, and I can't see any evidence of any leaks.. Pain in the arse!

Joe, if you want to remove the viscous fan, you'll need a 32mm spanner and (possibly, but not for certain) a pulley locking tool.

I have a 32mm spanner, and Mr Garrett has the pulley locking tool.

Sometimes a firm strike on the spanner is enough to undo the fan, sometimes the belts don't hold the pulley and then the tool is required.

That's flipping handy to know thanks!

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Yup. It's never moved. Might try bleeding it, but the temperature gauge never moves from half way, and I can't see any evidence of any leaks.. Pain in the arse!

Could just be the senor then at the bottom of the header tank :) May have just come unplugged?

Could just be the senor then at the bottom of the header tank :) May have just come unplugged?

Perhaps. I need to check it over properly, I've not really investigated as I've not had any issues other than the OBC throwing up an error.

Be careful with the 'firm strike' if you try that. I cracked a coolant pipe trying to do mine. Hence buying the correct tool.

Lol, I think I'll do it properly. Bonus of having a daily is being able to take time to do stuff properly.

I'm at a loss where to even start trying to make this exhaust straight. It needs to move towards the drivers side to fit in the rear bumper, but it's resting firmly against the diff carrier/subframe. Might just have it chopped and welded to make it fit properly, seems like the easiest option tbh.

Collage%202014-02-22%2013_43_49_zpsb4gstljj.jpg

Last edited:
That's random! Unless its meant to hang under a non-m bumper... My pipes that pass the diff carrier are a lot lower than that, you can't go too far the other way as youl hit the suspension arm over bumps etc

Are M and non-M bumpers not the same in terms of exhaust position? That seems odd to me! Might just take it to top gear in Stockport and tell them to make it fit tbh. I've got no hope of sorting that out!

Opinions needed. Having the Recaro fitted means I'm uncomfortablely far from the steering wheel, and the slip ring is completely knackered, so I've decided to get a new, dished steering wheel. Narrowed it down to these two:

Momo 07 (a dished prototipo):
IMG_8975.jpg

Or a Nardi:
5756e83cfdf1ae969b7f861848805bab.jpg

I really like the Momo, but cheapo eBay copies have kind of killed the appeal somewhat. I've used a couple of Nardi's and the quality is unbelievable, but they're becoming the generic choice - so there's arguments for both. Which would you choose?

Yup. Going to spray the box with VHT black paint. It looks horrendous currently. Booked into topgear Stockport in a couple of weeks to have it straightened and mounted properly too. On the plus side it sounds great and is half the weight of the OEM exhaust.

As for the steering wheel, I'm still undecided tbh!

Topgear are decent, Jon had a bit of work done by them and they seem excellent.

As you say, some matt black VHT paint will see you right. Leave the tips though, right?

Just won these on eBay:

$_12.jpg

E38 16x8 BBS's. Obvious choice, but they make sense.

TopGear Stockport next weekend for exhaust alignment, then it's time to save for a diff I think.

Good stuff, easy to get hold of at times, then really hard at others. Seen single wheels go for as little as £10, and sets go for up to £300+. I have a random collection of 11/12 in all lol.

Yeah, I can't really afford them TBH but thought they could be tricky to find again so just went for it. Plus I can sell the horrid M3 wheels and make it back + some. Are your running 205/50/16's like Whiteley?

Yeah 205/50/16, 2 x Rainsport2's and 2 x Nankang NS2's. Use 205/45/16 in Federal RSR for track days but they have a bigger sidewall so not far off the same. Stupidly cheap compared to 17" sizes.

Good tyre, easily comparable to the RainSports and many other tyres. They are far away from 'ditchfinders' which is how people seem to think Nankangs are, excellent grip in the dry and wet. I wouldn't hesitate to use them as a wet track day tyre either tbh. At the time I think they were sub £40 a tyre, which is why I decided to try them. Will buy again!

BMW M5 & E36
£43 a tyre when I bought from Camskill, it was rude not to give them a go at that money and they work just fine. Good buy.

Did an exhaust clip earlier tonight with my GoPro. Get the idea after around 40 seconds or so, but yeah pretty pleased with how it sounds!

Sounds okay from 1:15 - 2:00 too. It is an incredibly dull video though :eek: LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately looks like this might be going soon. Simply cannot afford to run it and put money aside for a house deposit, so ultimately I have to prioritise and get something cheaper to run and insure. I really Really don't want to as it's absolutely fantastic to drive, very happy with it currently. Needs must though. Standard seat will be going in shortly, and then it'll probably be sold as it is with standard parts included :( FML!