ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My European Clio Road Trip - 56k non!

RB 182
So, a few months ago me and the g/f decided to think about holidays. Now she doesnt like to be in the same place for too long as she gets bored easily, and id already been on a lads holiday to Magaluf in June, so we decided something different was required. A few options were mentioned, then before i knew it she'd booked the Eurostar for Saturday 13th September!

We knew we wanted to do something big, and id heard alot about Barcelona so that seemed an obvious choice to include, but then it got even bigger with Milan being mentioned, along with Monaco!

We booked a cheap Premiere Classe hotel for the 1st saturday night and then looked forward to it!

The final week we still hadnt thought of a route, and everyone including family said we'd never make it to Barcelona, but that just spurred us on! Then, Thursday 10th September the Eurotunnel has a fire! I honestly didt think we'd make it, but a quick call to P&O on the friday sorted us out a ferry :cool:

Saturday 13th September we packed up and set off for Dover at 6am

IMGP1601.jpg

IMGP1600.jpg

Arriving at a service station near Dover, we had a lovely suprise with the appearance of the engine mangement light! I couldnt believe it, never has it come on before, but as im a mechanic i kind of guessed it was because of the decat, but i thought i may aswel use my RAC membership! The guy came, and comfirmed it was just a lamda sensor that was abit blagged and cleared it

IMGP1605.jpg

We finally made it, past so many lorries parked patiently waiting, and waited to board. Saw a couple of Porsches and BMWs, all looking 'Ring prepped

IMGP1607.jpg

We stayed in a place called Remes the 1st night, then decided to travel down to Dijon and onto Switzerland, or Geneva to be precise.
Also, the engine management light came on again - again i suspected due to the decat

IMGP1611.jpg

IMGP1612.jpg

IMGP1620.jpg

Switzerland was freezing, and we felt abit stupid when we didnt even know they had their own currency - the Swiss Franc lol. Luckily they accepted Euros everywhere

Stayed in an interesting place...

IMGP1618.jpg

The 3rd day, we did a marathon drive - France, into Swizerland then through the Mont Blanc tunnel behind some sort of old French Renault sports car and then down to Italy, few hours in Milan and then onto Nice!!
The views from Mont Blanc were unreal, the tunnel was expensive at 34€ and we were warned about the speed limit - if you speed, they fine you and you have to pay before you leave the other side!

IMGP1635.jpg

IMGP1636.jpg

IMGP1644.jpg

Some in Milan, inc the Ferrari shop - so expensive!!

IMGP1652.jpg

Hols1-1.jpg

Hols2-1.jpg

IMGP1659.jpg

IMGP1658.jpg

This was gonna be such a good photo, in Milan this Polo just parked in the middle of the junction, put her hazards on and got out to go shopping!!

IMGP1645.jpg

The next day was Monaco. What can i say, fast cars, fast boats and gorgeous people!! I think Mercedes must've run out of AMG badges, they were all on cars in Monaco! Had to get one of me on the famous hairpin :rasp:

IMGP1679.jpg

IMGP1678.jpg

IMGP1674.jpg

Next day, we set off for Barcelona - a long way!! Few pics of the journey, and one of a Renault on a trailer - anyone know what it is?!

IMGP1692.jpg

IMGP1696.jpg

IMGP1698.jpg

IMGP1699.jpg

Hols3-1.jpg

Hols4-1.jpg

Now Barcelona is an interesting place to drive...

IMGP1709.jpg

And there were to Police cars and a recovery truck trying to wrok out how to get the jack under this Audi that was on the deck...

IMGP1732.jpg

Then, after 3 nights in Barca, we set off for home. Now ever since we got to Barcelona the car had had a rattle. Now this gradually got worse, and by the time we set off on the 1000 miles jouney home, it was really bad, like vibrating through the subframe! But, i knew i had to get it home so we carried on, hoping and praying it'd be ok! You'll see in a few pics what it was!

Few random ones of the journey home, inc some water that got us suspicious as to where it came from lol!!

IMGP1797.jpg

IMGP1798.jpg

IMGP1801.jpg

IMGP1795.jpg

And now the reason for the rattle - spot whats missing!!

Car1.jpg

A few to finish it off, the MPG and the total miles covered in one week and one day!

Hols5-1.jpg

Hols6-1.jpg

Hols7.jpg

All in all it was one memorable trip! France is a brilliant country to drive in. The drivers are courteous, the roads are smooth, and i saw only one traffic cop!! We had only one 5 minute traffic jam in our whole time in Europe - that was because a Golf was on its roof! If that'd been Britain, the road would've been closed for 10 hours with 31 'Traffic Officers' on the scene! Italy is chaos, and Barcelona is a nightmare!! Mopeds rule the roost, cars push their way through, and the g/f said id turned into one of them by the time we left - dont look just go!!

Our welcome back to Britain was a traffic jam in Dover due to roadworks.

Oh, and one more thing... My Clio only drove them wrong way up the road once in the whole time abroad, about 10 metres... and it was the 1st and last time the g/f drove!!

Last edited:
  SchwepTek™
Sounds like an awesome trip mate!

Would love to do something similar but would fear the car breaking down with that many miles! Poor thing has seen a fair few places now eh?

The blue renault is a Gordini Racer! Thats what my car (182 cup) was modelled on! :)

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
sounds like you had a great time, i think id like to do something similar now ive read that. great pics - spesh the hairpin!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
something ive been thinking about for a wee while mate defo a dream of mine.
awesome write up.

LY R26
awesome trip mate, reminds me of doing the student gumball last year we did 3000 miles to valencia and back, drove round barce but not thru it was busy enough on the edge roads!

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Cool road trip! nice pics.. Would love to do that in My 172.... coil overs & bucket seats - think i will just make it to the ring next year lol

Really like the black wheels with the rim tape :cool:

James

RB 182 Cup
my god, what an awesome write up that was. Hats off to you sir...

also v. jealous of the pic on the hairpin...

RB 182
The MPG was at 38.9 by the time we hit Barca, but a mixture of city driving and 100mph average speed home put it down.

Oh, and we didnt pay for parking once! Just park it anywhere, they're not exactly gonna chase you for a ticket now are they ;)

Milan was a nightmare, we couldnt find the centre, or anthing resembling it anywhere. In the end we just parked and walked, and walked some more!!

RB 182
what sort of planning went into it and what sort of costs are involved ?

Planning - None. Its 6 of one and half a douzen of another weather this is wise. We just booked the Eurostar/ferry over and somewhere to stay the 1st night, then took it from there. It was good that way because we didnt have to be anywhere at any certain time. Our sat nav would search for local hotels, and we just stayed in ones called Premiere Classe other than in Barcelona. These are very basic, but at an average of 35€ a night per room, they were perfect. This also gave us the budget to book into a 4 star hotel in Barcelona :rasp:
They have free WIFI, and we used an Autoroute on the g/fs laptop to look where we wanted to go next.
We then just checked ferry times online, and turned up at Calais to get on a ferry without booking

Costs - Other than the hotels, and the fuel the major one was tolls which to be honest we hadnt planned for. They are costly, and because we only had a week we couldnt avoid them by going on B roads so had to stick to the motorways. They range from 1.30€ instant payment to the most costly was 23€, you generally get them at one side of a major place, then pay at the other side

Track 172 & Golf R32
what sort of planning went into it and what sort of costs are involved ?

Planning - None. Its 6 of one and half a douzen of another weather this is wise. We just booked the Eurostar/ferry over and somewhere to stay the 1st night, then took it from there. It was good that way because we didnt have to be anywhere at any certain time. Our sat nav would search for local hotels, and we just stayed in ones called Premiere Classe other than in Barcelona. These are very basic, but at an average of 35€ a night per room, they were perfect. This also gave us the budget to book into a 4 star hotel in Barcelona :rasp:
They have free WIFI, and we used an Autoroute on the g/fs laptop to look where we wanted to go next.
We then just checked ferry times online, and turned up at Calais to get on a ferry without booking

Costs - Other than the hotels, and the fuel the major one was tolls which to be honest we hadnt planned for. They are costly, and because we only had a week we couldnt avoid them by going on B roads so had to stick to the motorways. They range from 1.30€ instant payment to the most costly was 23€, you generally get them at one side of a major place, then pay at the other side

thanks for that mate will defo be done wen i get my new car !..

But 23€ i thought this country was bad lol

6/468 17poo
Thats a wicked trip!I really wanna do something like this be awesome, do you need special insurance for this?

How much you spend on petrol ;)

RB 182
Thats a wicked trip!I really wanna do something like this be awesome, do you need special insurance for this?

How much you spend on petrol ;)

Petrol, dont know yet! About 80 gallons worth though

Special insurance, just need a 'Green Card', basically takes you from TPFT to fully comp abroad. Costs about £30

To all those saying 'i wanna do something like this', the best thing is dont plan it just do it! If you start thinking about costs etc you wont do it trust me! She booked the 1st bit, and after that the countless people saying 'you'd be better flying' didnt bother me!

Ph1 172 + Combo van
wow, great pics and great wite up i will definately do this one day!
cant believe the state of the front of the car too lol!

Expert HDI & R53
Nice pics mate looked like you had a good time!

I take my hat off to people like you who have got the balls to do it!! :approve:

E60 diesel powah
i wanna do this so much! how much did it end up costing u if you dont mind me asking? also do you have to be driving for a certain period of time or be over 21?

RB 182
i wanna do this so much! how much did it end up costing u if you dont mind me asking? also do you have to be driving for a certain period of time or be over 21?

Costs vary - if you stayed to cheap hotels like Premiere Classe then these are about 35€ a night per room and these sleep 3, then theres petrol which on the motorways is around 1.50€ a ltr, although if you goto the local town ones its about 1.40€. In Switzerland it was 2€ a ltr! Cheapest we got it was in Barcelona, at 1.15€ a ltr :rasp:
Then remember tolls! They're everywhere, so if you can use B roads then do as these are toll free!

Regarding the licence, just ring ur insurance - mine were really helpfull

DCi 100
Millau bridge?!

So want to go there dude, that's on my list for my road trip when I'm all old and things, looks like a great trip :approve:

Don't wait till your old haha!
I went to the Millau Bridge last summer - spectacular location! Sadly I was in a mate's Merc M Class Diesel rather than the 182 :)