ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My first DA Polisher, talk to me!

Hi guys,

I've been toying with the idea of getting a DA for myself, as the car is covered in swirls, light scratches etc and generally looks sorry for itself. The plan was to take it down to MCC to get it done professionally but on-top of all the parts that needed respraying & then booking it in with them I was looking at £6-700 easy. I don't really want to spend that much on a first car when it could go towards an RS etc.

Instead i'm thinking of buying a DA, pads, polishes etc and learning to correct myself for future. Gotta start somewhere eh?

So what I wanted to ask is, can you recommend me A good starter machine? Also, a basic set of pads, polish & any extras i may need (Masking tape etc)

Cheers!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Kestral DAS-6 dual action polisher
http://i4detailing.co.uk/shop/kestrel-das6-dual-action-machine-polisher.html

compounding pads and polishes I'd suggest Menzerna polishes and Chemical Guys Hexlogic pads, or Meguiars microfibre kit of pads and compounds.

spares and accessories can include backing plates, spot pad and backing plates for tight area, microfibres for removing polish residue, Panel wipe or IPA for removing oils and fillers to check correction. masking tape, pad spurring brush

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I don't know anything about the drill attachments, but there is a technique to paint correction and to go at it with a drill seems a bit risky

Cheers Dave, exactly the info I needed :)

No Javva its a machine in itself. Ive got one of those drill attachments though from the 3M headlight kit. Great for sanding things down like plastics etc but I guess id would be abit unforgiving for correction haha

I use a cheap Silverline rotary from GeeJays (local shop, you've probably heard of it)

Yes, you have to be more careful with a rotary, but it gives good results.

I love geegays, can't get AG products anywhere else as cheap as that! I had a look at one of those rotarys last time I was in there, the person I work with lent me his a while back too!

I'm going half's with my stop brother on the DA so chose the das 6 pro as it only works out at £50 each :) Thanks though!

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
I love geegays, can't get AG products anywhere else as cheap as that! I had a look at one of those rotarys last time I was in there, the person I work with lent me his a while back too!

I'm going half's with my stop brother on the DA so chose the das 6 pro as it only works out at £50 each :) Thanks though!

Have you been to the new place @ Heanor? http://www.shopnshine.co.uk/ He's been running a few years but recently set up in a new unit.

Quick question.

The kestral comes with a 6" backing plate. The hex pads are 5.5" so will these fit fine with them being only a half inch smaller? or would I need a 5.5 backing plate?

Clarkman

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer
I have recently just bought a DA myself! I got all the stuff I need on cleanyourcar.co.uk. Currently, I have purchased the DAS-6 with Menzerna kit which was 4 grades of polish, 2 compounding pads, 2 polishing pads and a finishing pad, quick detailing spray, claybar and lube, iron x, tar x, pot of wax, applicator pads, you need microfibre cloths, snowfoam and lance etc.. basically, loads of stuff to make it clean as possible, polish it and protect it.

if you need tutorials, I found it useful to watch the videos on Chemical Guys youtube channel.

Yeah just checked out some of their vids, made it alot easier to understand the technique etc.

Just having a look at the Menzerna compounds & I found this chart:

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-of-germany.html?gclid=CJydkbH7rp0CFSn6agodoyJ1iQ

Looking at that & watching some vids on youtube I think im after PF2500 for the cutting (orange hex pad), and either SF4000 or SF4500 (white hex pad). Does that sound right?

Im going to do abit of reading into that thread that Knuckles posted, then order up some bits. Is it best to do anything to the paint after the finishing, or just apply wax?

Cheers for the help so far!

Clarkman

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer
if your going to by the polish compounds all seperately, then by the Chemical Guy ones as that whats in the videos and you can better judge which ones you need when. As I have the Menzerna ones, I would do a pass with the SF4000 with a cutting pad, and finish with a pass of SF4500 with a finishing pad.

I would just apply the wax after the polishing, maybe a couple layers of it.

to keep the car scratch/swirl free, you need to look into proper car cleaning techniques i.e. snowfoaming, two bucket method, CLEAN microfibre cloths, various tar and iron removers etc.

if your going to by the polish compounds all seperately, then by the Chemical Guy ones as that whats in the videos and you can better judge which ones you need when. As I have the Menzerna ones, I would do a pass with the SF4000 with a cutting pad, and finish with a pass of SF4500 with a finishing pad.

I would just apply the wax after the polishing, maybe a couple layers of it.

to keep the car scratch/swirl free, you need to look into proper car cleaning techniques i.e. snowfoaming, two bucket method, CLEAN microfibre cloths, various tar and iron removers etc.

Cool cheers bud :)

Yeah i've taught myself alot safer washing since ive had the car, 2 buckets, mitts, snowfoam, drying etc. Which is why I wanted to learn correction. It's a shame to go to all the effort of washing a car thoroughly, to step back and notice all the swirls, scratches, marring etc.

Clarkman

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer
Cool cheers bud :)

Yeah i've taught myself alot safer washing since ive had the car, 2 buckets, mitts, snowfoam, drying etc. Which is why I wanted to learn correction. It's a shame to go to all the effort of washing a car thoroughly, to step back and notice all the swirls, scratches, marring etc.

Exactly. it just makes the paint look neglected and uncared for.

Used the megs 105 with an orange hex pad, and 205 with the white one. Got them all in a pack with the das6 pro from cleanyourcar. Had to do a lot of prep / cleaning / claying beforehand.

I'm in Dosthill BTW - I only ever see a race blue 182!

Sweet cheers :) ive ordered an orange, white & black pad, and some Chemical brothers 36 & 38, should get me started haha. Yeah im gonna fully wash & decon the car beforehand.

Ahh right,m im from Amington and my work is based in Wilnecote. I did see an RB the other day in morrisons with a CS sticker....

Cheers mate. Settled on the Das6-pro, hexlogic pads but just haven't made my mind up on compound/polish! It's between megs, chemical brothers and menz

Sweeet. I was gonna go for the Menz but I couldnt get my head around the codes lol! I went for the Chem guys to be safe, should work fine for a first time correction anyway :)

Oooh look what arrived today ;)

I used ShopNShine that was mentioned on the previous page, they even chucked in a free detailing brush haha :)

Gonna give it a go the friday before FCS, ill probably stick up a thread so people can tell me where ive gone wrong :rasp:

me2u6uta.jpg

Nice! I'm going to have a look on ShopNShine as CYC have ran out of black hex-logic pads!

They whole reason I'm ordering now is so I can get it ready for FCS too ;)

The guys at ShopNShine were really helpful tbf, I cocked up the delivery address and they were really easy to get hold of to amend it.

Yeah ive got loads to do before then, need to get to a body shop to get some bits sprayed aswell!

Oooh look what arrived today ;)

I used ShopNShine that was mentioned on the previous page, they even chucked in a free detailing brush haha :)

Gonna give it a go the friday before FCS, ill probably stick up a thread so people can tell me where ive gone wrong :rasp:

me2u6uta.jpg

I can laugh at you whilst you burn your paint ;)

Jokes,,,, ;)