ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Impreza mistake

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
nice.

the prodrive front bumper looks really good on these.

This one?

Capture.PNG

Does look better than the one thats on it.

Mk1
Wow that looks fantastic! Funnily enough I was looking at these on ebay the other night. Would make a fantastic winter car also! Well in.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
It stopped raining enough for me have a look at one side of the car + try fix an issue that came up on the 2nd day of ownership (awesome).

When on boost, above 1 bar, it was holding back and hesitating to the point it wasn't really usable. Sometimes you'd restart it and it would be ok, but as of Wednesday this week, its just permanently doing it. Its obviously some kind of sensor, so the first google results said it was the MAF. So I bought a Subaru OEM one.

IMG_20201004_154834.jpg

My one is on the right, looks more legit than the one I took out....
First drive, it was spot on. Even low down it felt more responsive. So hopefully it'll stay that way.

Mud flaps next, I hate them. They're not even the same colour.

IMG_20201004_160907.jpg

I thought the idea was to deflect the mud... they've just concealed it and its rusting behind the fixings to the arch. Now they need attention.
There's just a big pile of crap inside the bottom of the arch and kit, just daft.

IMG_20201004_161738.jpg

I've also trialed some 10mm spacers, as I was thinking of running 15mm hubcentric ones. But I'm not sure I'll get away with it.

Front before:

front_before.jpg

Front After:

front_after.jpg

I don't think 15mm will look right. This is just enough.

Did the rear mud flap removal and spacer fit.

Before:

rear_before.jpg

After

rear_after.jpg

And a couple more AFTER shots

after1.jpg

After2.jpg

AFter3.jpg

I'm sold on 10mm being enough.
But there isn't a 10mm set of spacers which bolt on and provide a new stud. The smallest for this type is 15mm.

10mm ones really need longer studs, so I'm not sure it's worth it.

However, if you've ever had a set of these wheel nuts.... jesus they're lightweight and s**t.

steel-nuts-3.jpg

They were on that tight I think at least 1 of them on each wheel has cross threaded (better not be the studs). I'm going to see what alternatives there are.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Best thing to do is get some 10mm longer bimecc studs with the bullet tips and steel nuts

I like the look of proper mudflaps on scooter, them ones however just look proper Playmobil😂

Cads

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, Merc C180 Est
There aren’t many cars I think look better with or even suit mudflaps. But Impreza’s certainly do.
As another former Impreza owner reading this thread makes me want another!!
As mistakes go, you’ll make worse!! 👍

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
Look really nice mate, i see a lad in a similar one going home from work, looks so nice.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
However, if you've ever had a set of these wheel nuts.... jesus they're lightweight and s**t.

View attachment 1499371

They were on that tight I think at least 1 of them on each wheel has cross threaded (better not be the studs). I'm going to see what alternatives there are.

I <3 my pink nuts.

Had them 4 years and never had a problem, they've never been gunned though.

Glad you've binned the flaps, please don't put any more on! I hate them.

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
There aren’t many cars I think look better with or even suit mudflaps. But Impreza’s certainly do.
As another former Impreza owner reading this thread makes me want another!!
As mistakes go, you’ll make worse!! [emoji106]
Suzuki swift sport look nice with mudflaps, and Fiesta ST as well. The Scoob does really suit them though.

gavinf91

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 9, Fiesta
i think the rule is anything rally inspired gets away with it. on any other car they look tragic.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
Checked the studs, they're fine - but the wheel bolts are cross threaded!
The amount of torque applied was mental. Got a new set coming :( Can't drive the thing until then though.

Also decided (when following it home last week) I don't like the rear end. The lower bumper section just looks like poo. So bought this.

IMG-20201006-WA0002.jpeg

Turned up next day.

Will test mount it and see if it looks like it's supposed to:

download.jpg

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Not a fan of the diffusers personally, even the OEM 06 one. Instead i ran an original Prodrive diff guard on mine. Looked proper cool from the rear.
Also had a set of the original RAYS extended alloy lug nuts and never had an issue. Shame some wally ruined yours as they're really nice, super light and bloody expensive.

Mudflaps on Imprezas aren't just for show. Take them off and you'll get used to cleaning the lower carriage regularly, particularly if running spacers.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Mudflaps on Imprezas aren't just for show. Take them off and you'll get used to cleaning the lower carriage regularly, particularly if running spacers.
Also stops the skirts and rear doors taking an absolute hammering. As shown though, most folk dont regularly clean behind them which can cause more harm.
I ran the mini stone guards on mine which are a nice compromise. Since then, ive had them on the front of the MIni GP and now a set on the front of my Clio.
You can barely see them, yet they save the car from so much damage.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
The diffuser then.

Here is the rear of the car, without anything. Which I don't like. Just feels like the bottom of the bumper has been cut off.

rear_no1.jpg

rear_no2.jpg

And here is the diffuser, being test mounted with a screwdriver holding it up.

rear2.jpg

rear1.jpg

rear3.jpg

It is supposed to mount on the bumper from the outside, but I don't like that. Nor will it clear the tow hook anyway, without some cutting!
I test mounted it, so it is under the lip of the rear bumper all the way around. Looks a bit more natural I think. It is going to require some fettling to make it fit like this, as it's not supposed to.

Because it doesn't actually fit properly like they said it would, I could return it.

Yeah, or no?

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I can see how it would work, but I think the exhaust looks too big for it.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
I'll try it mounted where it's meant to be and see what it looks like.

I think it's just going to go back.

Donny_Dog

ClioSport Club Member
  Jim's rejects
er...

I'm sorry.

diff1.jpg

diff2.jpg

Can blame @197. for suggesting I mount it on the outside, like it's supposed to. I offered it up................
Then the drill appeared.

TBF there is a good news story... I discovered water in the spare wheel well. I wouldn't have checked if not for fitting this.

In partial defence, it wasn't for actual diffusing, just to hide seeing the anti-roll bar and other s**t. I just hated the back.

Also, engaged in some fisting.

zorst.jpg

I do love this car, proper love it. I wasn't even that arsed for it on the test drive either. But it is fcking ace.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
er...

I'm sorry.

View attachment 1500795

View attachment 1500796

Can blame @197. for suggesting I mount it on the outside, like it's supposed to. I offered it up................
Then the drill appeared.

TBF there is a good news story... I discovered water in the spare wheel well. I wouldn't have checked if not for fitting this.

View attachment 1500798

I do love this car, proper love it. I wasn't even that arsed for it on the test drive and either. But it is fcking ace.

Looks good to me!

Clio 197
er...

I'm sorry.

View attachment 1500795

View attachment 1500796

Then the drill appeared.

In partial defence, it wasn't for actual diffusing, just to hide seeing the anti-roll bar and other s**t. I just hated the back.

View attachment 1500798

I do love this car, proper love it. I wasn't even that arsed for it on the test drive either. But it is fcking ace.

Looks spot on!