ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Lachssilber E30 325i Touring

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Bit of an impulse buy this one, browsing PH yesterday and this popped up at a pretty reasonable price... I had to have it.

So set off from Manchester for the drive down to have a look at it. After about an hour of looking around it, taking it for a pretty extensive test drive I knew it was for me. I know the paint work it shot (perhaps a machine polish may help?!?!?) and the interior needs attention, but driving it put a massive grin on my face. Anyway the deal was done and a couple of hours later it's back home.

Here is a brief spec from the advert, it was the e46 rack, z3 gear lever mech and M3 bushings that sold it to me, plus the recent service/cambelt, oh and the fact it was a Touring!

146600 Miles
M20 2.5ltr Engine
5 Speed manual gearbox
15" BBS Alloys with a set of Khumo's bought in November - all with lots of life and no uneven wear
Fully serviced in April, about 2000 miles ago, including cam belt
New windscreen for the MOT
Check control panel
Electric front windows
Electric Sunroof
Quick rack from an E46 (50% faster!)
M3 front wishbone bushes to increase castor
Lowered slightly all round
Z3 Short throw gear lever
Fog lights
Projector headlamps
Original luggage cover
Leather MTech steering wheel
Cloth sports interior
Rear headrests

The overall condition is very solid, the worst rust being on the rear valance. I've not had to touch this over winter as it hasn't got any worse. All the common spots like the body assembly mounts are okay as far as I can tell. The arches are sound with just a little chipped paint on the near side front arch - again this has not been getting any worse.

The drivers seat has suffered the usual damage over the years and is looking poor, a new centre cushion would fix this. The headliner has been recovered with a nice foam blacked cloth material. It’s really common for touring headliners to sag as the foam degrades – this car should be good for another 25 years.

The car drives brilliantly, the slightly lowered springs, M3 bushes and fast rack combining to make the steering really precise, making the whole car very nimble.

This is going to be a slow build but I will try and keep this thread up to date.

C&C Welcome

(Pics are from the previous owner apart from the last couple of crappy iPhone pics, not had chance to get some proper pics of it. )

9378019027_04e5f00e01_b.jpg

BMW E30 325i 009 by Matt Cup, on Flickr

9380805644_0cd476faae_b.jpg

BMW E30 325i 003 by Matt Cup, on Flickr

9378019483_60df19436a_b.jpg

BMW E30 325i 002 by Matt Cup, on Flickr

9378018775_55c0a6a9ca.jpg

BMW E30 325i 012 by Matt Cup, on Flickr

9378018737_4825d46f43_b.jpg

BMW E30 325i 014 by Matt Cup, on Flickr

BMWE30325i024_zpse55a9118.jpg

null_zps2deb1c72.jpg

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Cheers chaps! Boot access does seem like a bit of an after thought in design, which they seem to have changed in the later gen 3 series'

@ Naith, not sure what your budget is, but there is a really nice 530i Touring in Stalybridge for around £5k it's an auto though.

Whilst it was nice today we gave it a good clean inside, painted the exhaust tips black and revived the black plastics with a trim restorer.

9382600033_925302ea35_b.jpg
IMG_1574 by Matt Cup, on Flickr

9385385556_bdb282627b_b.jpg

IMG_1573 by Matt Cup, on Flickr

9382587495_cee74bab2c_b.jpg

IMG_1579 by Matt Cup, on Flickr

Oh and pic my Bro got on the way back home yesterday.

9386942542_5ae6c65704_b.jpg

E30 Touring in motion by Matt Cup, on Flickr

Very nice.

We need to get the CS NW 3 series together.

We've got:

Me: E21
You: E30
Oli (he is technically on here): E36
Jon.G: E46
BIFCAIDS (Mike): E90

Someone from Bolton way has an F30 too.

Would make a decent photo opportunity :)

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Thanks guys, for a 25year old car it drives and sounds sublime! I'm amazed at the lack of rattles and how refined it is.

@ Rob, I "may" replace the interior if I see one pop up cheap, but this is only really a low budget build so I might just try and buy the covers and foam for these seats.

Very nice.

We need to get the CS NW 3 series together.

We've got:

Me: E21
You: E30
Oli (he is technically on here): E36
Jon.G: E46
BIFCAIDS (Mike): E90

Someone from Bolton way has an F30 too.

Would make a decent photo opportunity :)

Sounds like a plan I'm definitely up for that! I'm not entirely sure when I'm putting this one on the road as I really need to shift my Clio first which I have reluctantly put up for sale on here :cry:

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
@ Leeds_182

The Rallye is my bro's runabout yes the wing is hideous but taking it off may uncover some more bodges that the previous owner/s have done to the car. New boot lid is probably the only option.

Back on topic now I'm beginning to sort a list out of what needs doing, yes this list will probably increase quite rapidly but you've got to start somewhere :)

Replace the clutch reservoir cap.
It's a bit tappety so they need adjusting.
It's got an exhaust leak from either the manifold or downpipe, the previous owner kindly gave me some new manifold gaskets so they will be replaced.
Mini service on it.
Source/Replace drivers seat fabric and possibly other seat panels too.
New badges.
Investigate why dash board lights are so dim.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
How do you spend An hour looking around a car??? Christ, I didnt spend that long looking at my house!

Nice car though. I love them.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Found spare seat panels on e-bay so they are going to be ordered soon!

I'm amazed at how easy it is to obtain parts for this considering it's getting on 25 years old, I honestly thought I'd struggle.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I wish people would stop buying e30's it keeps making me want one more and more!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
How do you spend An hour looking around a car??? Christ, I didnt spend that long looking at my house!

Nice car though. I love them.

To some of us, you ginger ball bag, a car is a big purchase, we don't all buy them like we do socks!

Found spare seat panels on e-bay so they are going to be ordered soon!

I'm amazed at how easy it is to obtain parts for this considering it's getting on 25 years old, I honestly thought I'd struggle.

Awesome news, updates ahoy! Got a lot of love for old BMW's.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
@ Leeds_182

The Rallye is my bro's runabout yes the wing is hideous but taking it off may uncover some more bodges that the previous owner/s have done to the car. New boot lid is probably the only option.

Back on topic now I'm beginning to sort a list out of what needs doing, yes this list will probably increase quite rapidly but you've got to start somewhere :)

Replace the clutch reservoir cap.
It's a bit tappety so they need adjusting.
It's got an exhaust leak from either the manifold or downpipe, the previous owner kindly gave me some new manifold gaskets so they will be replaced.
Mini service on it.
Source/Replace drivers seat fabric and possibly other seat panels too.
New badges.
Investigate why dash board lights are so dim.

Dash brightness not just the adjuster on head light switch? It rotates for dash brightness

330i. E30 Touring.
Awesome!

Welcome to the club.

Swapping that bit of the seat is easy btw. PM me if you need any tips..

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Dash brightness not just the adjuster on head light switch? It rotates for dash brightness

Took me a while to work that out, had to revert to the manual :eek: I still think there may be some bulbs out though.

Awesome!

Welcome to the club.

Swapping that bit of the seat is easy btw. PM me if you need any tips..

Cheers mate, will fire you over a PM in due course!

I've got a good list of stuff including seat covers on the way from a breakers which I should be getting by the end of the week.

@ Tom & PaulClioSport, nice looking tanks :)

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
There are quite few bits you can do that really improve how they drive

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
There are quite few bits you can do that really improve how they drive

Like? Any info would be appreciated :)

Any mods to the exhaust? I'm sure I'm hearing a rather loud straight-six on Richmond Street these days....? :)

​D.

Not me mate, it's been sat on my drive all week as I'm waiting for my Clio to go before I put it on the road, plus as far as I'm aware the exhaust is standard.

497adam

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172 phase 2
Replacing the throttle position sensor(potentiometer ?) really helps throttle response . Replacing the bushes in the gear linkage ( although your already has z3 upgrade) really tightens things up especially with none standard gear knob ( mine has a wooden alpina one)

#had

Also slightly smaller steering wheel, alpina m-tech def helps with slow steering

My dad had a 4 door from new, he spax springs and koni shocks, which really helped handling. He also had a BBR starchip ( I know there clio stuff is crap) and this really improved drivability and added a few bhp

Oh and magnex system sounded lovely at full chat

Last edited by a moderator:
  S4 Avant
Love an old german barge.

Just don't go poking the rusty bits underneath. You'll cry yourself to sleep for weeks.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Replacing the throttle position sensor(potentiometer ?) really helps throttle response . Replacing the bushes in the gear linkage ( although your already has z3 upgrade) really tightens things up especially with none standard gear knob ( mine has a wooden alpina one)

My dad had a 4 door from new, he spax springs and koni shocks, which really helped handling. He also had a BBR starchip ( I know there clio stuff is crap) and this really improved drivability and added a few bhp

Also slightly smaller steering wheel, alpina m-tech def helps with slow steering

Would I be replacing this TPS for another cars i.e e36/46, another marque or just with a new one?

I will look into the BBR chip thing in the future.

Gear knob will be changed for one of those ZHP ones that Rob posted in another thread.

Handling seems ok at the moment, but you're right about the steering wheel, it's massive so needs to be swapped for a smaller one, however the steering seems quick enough with the e46 rack.

UPDATES

A massive box was delivered today from the breakers. Seat covers, boot carpet, mouldings a badge have arrived. HOWEVER.... The covers have to go back as they were the wrong shade - dark grey opposed to light grey in the car.... Doh! :eek: That'll teach me for assuming they were all the same.

Going to give them a call in the morning to see if they have any of the others in stock and if they will swap. Need some other bits from them so will get them ordered whilst I'm at it.

@ Dave, I'm not going to poke anything :) Out of sight out of mind!

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Small update:

Getting used to the quirks of owing an old car now, the Check Panel has had a few fits showing incorrect readings, the latest one being the brake light warning check light coming on randomly.

Last weekend we checked the tappet clearances, they were a little on the tight side so adjusted them. Also gave the engine a lick of paint and the battery tray a small repair. Got to sort out a leaky manifold/downpipe gasket next, I've got the parts just need to get them fitted.

I'm also still on the look out for interior panels and a rear bump strips too, but not in too much rush for them I'm just enjoying the car at the moment.

9479393741_b05a9125d4_b.jpg
DSC_1155 by Matt Cup, on Flickr

9482187996_87cf4c59b3_b.jpg

DSC_1152 by Matt Cup, on Flickr

9482186388_ec7a484a7c_b.jpg
DSC_1153 by Matt Cup, on Flickr

9482202420_3f369e8cc5_b.jpg
DSC_1141 by Matt Cup, on Flickr

9479417877_2a2dfd26f8_b.jpg
DSC_1135 by Matt Cup, on Flickr

9482209482_e08bc3964c_b.jpg

DSC_1134 by Matt Cup, on Flickr

9479402279_dd4fd41fa3_b.jpg
DSC_1146 by Matt Cup, on Flickr

9479399583_2023b9c8b2_b.jpg

DSC_1151 by Matt Cup, on Flickr

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
Sort of, the previous previous owner decided to paint the roof satin black but did a shite job of it. The previous owner then vinyl wrapped the pillars/roof to mask the bodge.