ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My mk1 Clio valver project

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
When I look back on my Clio past, the Mk1 is so much cooler in every way than all of the other 2.0l RS models! I hated mine, but I still want another! Go Figure!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Instantly logged onto PH for a wee swatch! Pretty thin on the ground these days!

The motor in the Williams was funny! Sounded superb! - Only did 57 in 2nd I think...

X2 Clio Valvers
Instantly logged onto PH for a wee swatch! Pretty thin on the ground these days!

The motor in the Williams was funny! Sounded superb! - Only did 57 in 2nd I think...

Yeah they're becoming like rocking horse sh!t rather quickly. And lol that's funny

X2 Clio Valvers
I just can't stop taking photos! Lol,
7e3a3epa.jpg

yvunuvyr.jpg

gu8u4a3u.jpg

Throttle body needs doing, and the cylinder head needs a good clean!
de8azuda.jpg

Was also quite impressed how good of a reflection it shows :)
hy2ary7u.jpg

Decided against the blue loom , decided I'm going red and yellow under the bonnet, red loom and yellow samcos. ;-) should look good IMO.

Loom still needs wrapping back up lol
udeqaseg.jpg

X2 Clio Valvers
What kind of size do you recommend as I'm considering one.

Depends what the use of it will be? If it's stuff like blasting, spraying etc get at least 100l or bigger. I've known people spray cars with a 75l and stuff. I'm getting a 150 litre or more if I can afford as I'll be doing everything from inflating tyres to spraying lol :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Its not just take size its compressor size as well.

Ive got a 3bhp 150 litres one which is man enough for most things, but of the smaller ones if its a 75 litre tank but a 3bhp motor it will probably fair better than a 100l tank and a 2 bhp motor.

X2 Clio Valvers
Its not just take size its compressor size as well.

Ive got a 3bhp 150 litres one which is man enough for most things, but of the smaller ones if its a 75 litre tank but a 3bhp motor it will probably fair better than a 100l tank and a 2 bhp motor.

Yeah forgot the hp plays a big part in it, think I'm going for the 90l 3.5hp one

X2 Clio Valvers
Throttle body after a caustic soda bath
7e6y9y9a.jpg

Before
ahenyhyn.jpg

Also put some nuts and bolts in (don't know why as I'm planning a nut and bolt rebuild lol)
All looked like this
u2u9aqyv.jpg

Will post pic of result as I've only just set them off !

X2 Clio Valvers
Nuts and bolts didn't really differ after soaking lol, not to worry they're all getting replaced!
I ordered some dremel accessories so I can start cracking on with the body work :)
9ygy7anu.jpg

Great value off amazon, 10.99 - they are from maplin stores and are really good.
More later...

X2 Clio Valvers
Weather has been great today, lovely and sunny, perfect for working on cars etc...

After my drill bit broke I thought I'd be waiting around a while for a corded drill and spot weld cutters, but after getting the dremel bits today I improvised, used a cutting wheel ;) gets a cleaner cut and a lot more control IMO.
pate3ase.jpg

Will be doing the rest tomorrow as today I've mostly been cleaning under the arches out, there appears to be surface rust there but not bad at all really
uby4e3y4.jpg

tujujyva.jpg

Ground down the rear arches also, that was also just surface rust, all bar the n/s has a hole, I think the o/s has been done at some point at it's waxoyled inside.
Pic of the surface rust removed
paguvu8u.jpg

I thought replacing this
suqy2yze.jpg
looked really awkward but after removing the inner arch it looks simple, case of home fabrication and welding new bit in.
Hoping to have the front end off tomorrow and the block/box out ;)

X2 Clio Valvers
Okay before I posted about doing the engine loom in blue, I was going to go red and yellow under the bonnet, but I've changed my mind again lol!

Before
sy3u6yba.jpg

Removed all the black conduit stuff
ydepeqev.jpg

Did in blue...
8a8ehuzu.jpg

Then changed my mind AGAIN to do it yellow
zy5ybuqa.jpg

yta5urut.jpg

vemupyvu.jpg

Prefer the yellow lots more over the blue tbh, and it will go with these that I'll be getting
9avu4eby.jpg

Need another roll of yellow though cos there's a few bits still black and the blue is showing through a bit.
That's it for now,
Ordering a welder sometime this week hopefully so body work will start :)

X2 Clio Valvers
Weather is horrific ATM so I've been doing some polishing :D I love polished stuff lol...
du9ypa6y.jpg

8azyde5u.jpg

Not sure why I did these tbh, it's not like they're gonna be seen once everything's back together lol...
y5ydejep.jpg

6u6uvevy.jpg

ubaperud.jpg

Will keep updated flowing, will be polishing more stuff and if weather picks up a bit I'll be going out to do more spot well cutting!!!
Not sure if I've mentioned already but I've come across some more rust, nothing major IMO but here's some pics
by7u4ena.jpg

gehemy8u.jpg

They're the OS inner sill

re9u6aje.jpg

NS front inner arch/chassis, mostly surface rust but still gonna replace it...
Can order my welder in 2 days ABW :)

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Great update mate but the yellow tape doesn't look good mate, sorry.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
Cheers dude, and thanks for your opinion, tbqh I think I'm going off it lol. I think it would look better once the blue isn't showing through, what colour would you go for?

I would stick with Oem black mate, the trouble with looms is they look untidy wrapped in any other colour and show the dirt really easy.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
oh I'm all for lairy colours, just for some reason imo its look a bit s**t on looms. coolant pipes, covers and engine components all good, but the loom, keep it black!

X2 Clio Valvers
oh I'm all for lairy colours, just for some reason imo its look a bit s**t on looms. coolant pipes, covers and engine components all good, but the loom, keep it black!

Lol. Well I'm deffo doing the hoses yellow, think I might do the block yellow too lol. Either that or hammered steel :) all mounts etc will be polished, as will the rocker cover, camshaft cover, inlet mani, fuel rail and throttle body :D

Respray yours a non original colour :). You've started with polishing and having different colours in the engine bay so you might as well carry on to the outside.

X2 Clio Valvers
Respray yours a non original colour :). You've started with polishing and having different colours in the engine bay so you might as well carry on to the outside.

Hmmm :) what colour??? I quite like the colour you've done yours in but I don't wanna be a copy cat... Also love liquid yellow but I was thinking matte grey with satin black trim etc

X2 Clio Valvers
LY has been done too, lol.

D81E09B0-FD08-4E72-83C0-093EC9B3DED1-834-0000011C72C20515_zps48a96893.jpg

I know lol :-( looking at candy paints at the mo, I mean I love Naples, but the ones I've seen be resprayed don't look the same if that makes sense? Like they're more brighter coloured or something, I like the colour if the flamer 172s too, might just do it candy apple red lol, always loved that colour. Also anyone on here ever done a sill replacement on a mk1 clio? I'll be doing mine soon and want to know best way to remove old one... Bit of an update soon too :)

X2 Clio Valvers
Okay so I've been thinking a lot about painting the car a different colour but I'm stuck on wether to change colour or keep original...

Colours I quite like, as I've painted with them before and think they would look good on on a valver are,
Cadburys purple xD
Candy blood red
Matte grey
Arden blue
Brookland green
And there's 2 colours I like from the megane r26's too but not sure what there colour name/code is lol. All I know is one is slightly orange and the other is purple-ish....
egedagap.jpg

tu5ytahu.jpg

eramaran.jpg

I like those colours a lot... But as said I might just keep Naples! Lol