ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my mk1 cup racer blog (updates page 29)

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
right i am in two minds here, i'm open to anyone's opinion of what they think would be best

option 1 - leave the engine in, fit ITB's, omex, and new coolant hoses, then either get a base map for the omex to suit the standard engine, or go get it mapped at RStuning (around £300)

option 2 - take engine out, fit cat cam 421's, paint block, paint gearbox, tidy up engine bay (clean and a few touch up's where the paint has come off) then refit engine, fit new coolant hoses, ITB's and omex, then take it to RStuning to have it mapped properly with the new cams in etc

now option 1 means i can get it back on the road sharpish and drive it for what is left of the english summer, hopefully get a few trackdays in, then over winter take the engine out and do the cams etc

option 2 will leave me with hardly any (if any) summer left, meaning the car will be ready for winter lol, but it will be done, no more messing around taking the engine out etc, plus i will have saved the cost of a £300+ mapping session

at the minute i am totally 50/50, i can see both the upsides and downsides to both

although winston's words are ringing in my ears, there's no rush! :eek:

Clio 1.4 Maxim
take your time mate, option 2 and ull not regret it, it will be worth the wait to drive it when its fully finished

'92 172, Lotus Elise
option 1

get some use out of the damn thing and it will be quick enough for now without cams anyway!

then bung some cams in over the winter (doesn't take long) and get it mapped at your convenience..

yeah but its twice the work if he wants to spruse up the bay.....get it out, fit the cams and stuff, sort the shell and engine, put it back together = win for winter and next summer....no messing around!

aarrgghh so many good points!

i may have to hit a compromise, engine stays in, fit cams while its in and leave the engine bay tarting up until the winter (i'm gonna need something to occupy my time lol)

so now theres an option 3 lol :eek:

'92 172, Lotus Elise
sounds best imo!

cams can easily be fitted in the bay

then over winter if u want to tart it up, spend a morning removing the lump and go from there!

yeh tbf i cant bling it up too much, just wouldnt be in keeping with the 'well used' look it rocks at the minute

panel damage ftw :approve:

right, got some pics (although not very good ones) for you to have a peek at.....

my journey started last monday night, when i collected a mates engine crane and put it in the back of the 106, then set off on the M62 heading for ben_p's house.

Not long into the journey west yorkshire's finest decided to pull me over to have a 'chat'. first of all telling me i had no insurance, to which i politely told them i did, so they told me to look at the computer screen as it clearly said the only person insured was my mum, then he pressed a button and it flicked to the next page, oh what do you know, there i am, fully insured :rolleyes:

not happy with the fact i was fully legit on the car, he then tried to tell me i was over laiden (bear in mind all i was carrying was an engine crane which weighs maybe 80kg?) so i politely said 'i don't think so' and that was that, a good 15 mins wasted.

anyway got to ben the bummers house and took his engine out and removed the ITB's, got home at about 1am.

Photo0295.jpg

Photo0296.jpg

so friday i set about seeing if they would fit........

rad off and coolant pipework removed

Photo0298.jpg

Photo0299.jpg

Photo0297.jpg

inlet off, as you can see the oil cooler pipes get in the way, so i need to re-route them somewhere

Photo0300.jpg

Photo0301.jpg

and then trial fitted, its a tight fit :evil:

Photo0302.jpg

Photo0303.jpg

Photo0304.jpg

so now i need to sort the oil cooler pipes, and sort out my rad and pipework and fit the omex loom

the problem i have got is if i use the original rad it needs to be mounted a good 2 inches lower, meaning the top rad hose fouls on the clutch fork. ideally i need a shorter rad, same width, just an inch or 2 shorter, so i'm on the hunt for a suitable replacement (i have been told a 1.4 rad might be just right, so i'm going to do some measuring)

right, got cracking on it last night, basically re-routing the omex loom to where we need it and chopping the ph1 loom up (after all those hours sorting it out :mad:)

also fit my standard injectors onto the jenvey fuel rail as i think they will be up to the job (not going for mega power after all)

ordered a coolant temp sensor and air temp sensor from omex today

and then just ordered a new radiator which should clear the ITB's (cheers andy for the info :approve:) that should be here either tomorrow or saturday

my bro took some pics so i'll get him to send them over (nothing really exciting to see, just me working on it)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
since you're now ditching the standard plenum, you might have some parts im after :evil:

right my bro has the pics of this weekends antics (waiting for him to email me them)

basically we have been working out ways of getting everything to fit in a very small space, now made even smaller by the ITB's (or should i say the pipercross filter, as this is the main problem!)

i ordered a clio 1.4 radiator from advanced radiators in newcastle at 3pm on thursday, it arrived at 11am friday! now that's good service!

then saturday my and my bro went to our favourite scrap yard (cheap!) and started the search for a radiator fan that was both the correct diameter, had a good blade angle, and wasn't too thick.

our search led us to a fiat bravo (or brava not sure). It ticked all the boxes so £10 later we had it back home for the 'customisation' :evil:

so then we set about making up a set of radiator brackets that would a) allow the rad to sit as far forward as possible, and b) be height adjustable so that we could raise/lower it at will depending on where the ITB's would sit. A good hour later we had fashioned something out of aluminium and were very happy with the results :approve:

so with the rad in place we could fit the bodies, and lets just say it is very snug! time will tell if we have any 'rubbing' issues :clown:

i attempted to fit the SFS hoses, but due to the change in location of the rad some adjustments need to be made to the top and bottom hoses to avoid kinks and ensure they are routed properly (away from anything that can rub on them)

after that was all in place we tried to find a good place to route the oil cooler pipes, the cooler itself isn't a problem, but routing the pipework in such a small space is! eventually i gave up on the oil cooler, i will run the car without one and monitor the temps, then if it's getting too warm i will have to get some pipes made up to suit. i know of people running wilder setups who manage just fine without a cooler, time will tell.

then it was on to the omex wiring, alot of re-routing, conduit and grazed knuckles later we have it looking almost complete, waiting on a coolant temp sensor from omex to finish it.

so with everything in place it was time for the first turn of the key, just to see if everything worked. turn ignition, fuel pump primes (good sign), coil pack gets 12v (another good sign), then under cranking it gets around 8v (ish) but doesn't fire into life. I know of problems getting the crank position sensor just right so have a mess around with that, moving up/down etc. moved it a touch to much downwards and managed to catch it on the flywheel, Do'h! it has ground the face off the sensor, luckily i had another to hand, so swapped the wiring over and tried that, still wouldn't start, but i think i need to have a mess around with it some more. there was once when it sounded like it wanted to go, but didn't quite get there :dapprove:

so it's nearly there, but then there is still a bit to do

Goood work man

Looking forward to seeing this 1.4 rad rig up...... there not much smaller than a Valver/RS rad.. just thinner?

yeh 17 inch wide by 15 inch high but only about an inch thick

its the height that is the killer with the pipercross filter in place, without that the task would be alot simpler, i did consider getting sock filters, but then decided against them and just made some brackets up to lower it

sounds riggy-tastic! pics!

oh it is! :cool:

my bro is the rig up part of the team, he has a nack of being able to sort out problems like this

i was busy messing with the wiring, when i turned around he had chopped the fiat cowling down to fit the clio rad perfectly and fixed it in place with a couple of cable ties (just to keep it in place while we test fit of course ;) )

i was well impressed :approve:

right just ordered the revised crank position sensor from omex

cost me £64 +VAT but it should eliminate that as the cause for non start (which alot of people seem to suffer with when using the old style/standard CPS)

no i already have the revised renault blue one (same as what came with the omex loom)

something about it giving a stronger signal? comes with a bracket so doesn't need moving around to get the best signal? something like that anyway lol

post #38 http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=419412&highlight=omex+crank+position+sensor&page=2

i'll take a pic when it arrives, shouldn't be long as alan at omex said they have them in stock, if it's the same as the renault one i won't be happy! roffle

Last edited:

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
the renault crank position sensor should work with it though?

good work though mate :) im supposing your using bens omex loom?

cant wait to see this :D

carl

the renault crank position sensor should work with it though?

good work though mate :) im supposing your using bens omex loom?

cant wait to see this :D

carl

yeh it should ;) but i have read about a fair few people having the same problem so thought it would be good to eradicate it

yeh ben's loom, no renault ecu anymore :approve:

just uploading pics to photobucket now

Barron

ClioSport Club Member
  Turbo S,Exige,R5,182
yeh it should ;) but i have read about a fair few people having the same problem so thought it would be good to eradicate it

yeh ben's loom, no renault ecu anymore :approve:

just uploading pics to photobucket now

oh so much easier :D

i may look at that options when i remove my engine as seems like a very neat solution.

Renault crank sensors being fault, never! :O lol

carl

'92 172, Lotus Elise
that pipe that runs from the oil breather at the back of head to the connector under the original TB

send it to me pls :eek: :D

pics as promised

new4084.jpg

me working on it in my work get up lol

new4080.jpg

new4085.jpg

new4086.jpg

new4095.jpg

the rigged up fiat fan before it had that bracket chopped off

new4087.jpg

the rad is at an angle here but it sits level when in properly

new4088.jpg

new4091.jpg

i didn't get a pic with the pipercross filter in place, but you can tell its a tight fit! :cool:

Last edited:
yes pinned front and back

it is one of the worst fitting bonnets i have come across lol

thought about fitting flush catches so i can attempt to line it up properly

Lionel Richie
ah you have ben_p's old engine

is it still running like a bag-o? (mikey mouse injectors that are allegedly the same plus!)

yes pinned front and back

it is one of the worst fitting bonnets i have come across lol

thought about fitting flush catches so i can attempt to line it up properly

mines still got the catch on the back at the moment, thinking of doing away with it but nowhere to put the pins from what i can see....where are the pins bolted onto the chassis on yours?

Also, want to sell your 172 rad if its non-leaking? :)

ah you have ben_p's old engine

is it still running like a bag-o? (mikey mouse injectors that are allegedly the same plus!)

lol no not his engine, just his ITB's and omex

and i've put my standard injectors on the jenvey fuel rail, should be fine with my limited spec

on a side note, when i took his injectors out one of the coloured rings was a different colour to the other 3 :S (maybe why it was running poo?)

mines still got the catch on the back at the moment, thinking of doing away with it but nowhere to put the pins from what i can see....where are the pins bolted onto the chassis on yours?

Also, want to sell your 172 rad if its non-leaking? :)

i'll have a look where they are bolted, never really bothered to look, they are damn solid though!

yes i'll sell the rad, and no it doesnt leak :)