ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my mk1 cup racer blog (updates page 29)

BMW M5 & E36
The Samco's to heater matrix... I've noticed for the bottom port where the pipe's too big, that the diameter of the pipe before it enlarges is perfect to fit onto the matrix port. The enlarged part is only about 30/40mm or so deep so I was just planning on cutting that back and going on with the smaller pipe. If that makes sense.

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
yeh i saw that too whiteley, but then it looked like the hose would be under quite a lot of tension/strain? ie try bending the hose where you would cut, then pull it up to the bulkhead, seemed tight to me? might just be the way i have the hose routed?

although mine are sfs hoses so might be a slight variation in length?

BMW M5 & E36
If anything it looked as though the bottom one could have done with being a bit shorter anyway, so it'll sit about right with the enlarged bit taken off. That could be my routing though, or could be how the Samco's are compared to SFS.

it lives again!

and this time it revs and everything!

i just had time to set the TPS min and max and then the laptop batt died :(

TPS readings were also very low compared to what it says in the manual (my tps raw at full open throttle was 28, and raw at idle was 8) is this ok? i have set the min and max to match these and it 'seems' to rev freely

had a bash at setting the bodies to 6kg/hr, got it to around 7 so needs a bit of tweaking yet

had a few BIG blue flames out of the trumpets aswell while setting them, was 8 o clock too so it looked awesome in the darkness, hope it stops doing that though otherwise it will destroy my sausage filter :(

and now my starter motor makes a weird noise! like a high pitched grinding/whining?!

was going to take it out on sunday, but ive done my wrist in and can barely steer/change gear in the pug so i would have no chance in the clio with it's oh so violent 'feedback' lol

postman has just been, more bling.... (although one of the items is incorrect :rolleyes:)

Photo0365.jpg

Photo0366.jpg

this means i can route the return fuel pipe well away from the heat

had it out on the road yesterday :cool:

vids/pics to follow

i only took a couple of phone pics....

Photo0378.jpg

Photo0379.jpg

Photo0377.jpg

could do with a lick of paint, and i have to find somewhere to vent the oil vapour, and i want to fit the ashley exhaust, then it's a case of running it around for a while to see what problems occur

i still seem to have teething problems with the ITB's, i will put a thread up in the engine section and see what people think :)

right, time for a bit of an update.......

i had booked in the car with RStuning on the 12th oct, so i had to get a few things sorted before it went

first job was to fit my reducer pipe for the heater matrix

Photo0398.jpg

Photo0396.jpg

Photo0400.jpg

then filled her up with type D coolant and bled the system of air

next job was to fit the ashley exhaust, i had a magnex on there, it sounded good, but the backbox made it look too much like a road car :rolleyes:

a bit of chopping and welding later and it was on

Photo0383.jpg

Photo0393.jpg

Photo0394.jpg

Photo0395.jpg

then with the aid of a recovery truck it was time to go to RStuning, a lovely 2 hour wait meant i was an hour late for my appointment :eek: paul didn't seem to mind though. First job was to get my ITB's balanced up properly, oh my god what a nightmare!

here is a list of things that went wrong throughout the day :rolleyes::

1.TPS value would keep jumping from the value paul was inputting, after some head scratching it was found a connection on the TPS plug was loose, so every time the engine jolted, it would reset itself!

2.Bolts holding trumpets on were cross threaded and a nightmare to remove and refit

3.battery positive terminal worked its way loose, giving a duff connection to the ecu and all other electrics

4. fuel pump started to die towards the end of the day

5. my battery is on its last legs, starting the car meant using the booster or bump starting it (poor alex racked up about 10 miles walking to and from the garage next door for the booster pack :eek:)

6. my starter motor is on its way out, it squeels like a b**ch and at one point had sparks coming out of it :S

but even with all these setbacks, paul battled on and got a healthy 194.4 bhp out of her :approve:

Photo0402.jpg

its not done yet though, as i said before the fuel pump was dying as the day went on, with every run he did the power tailed off more and the afr was all over the place. so he has told me to fit an uprated fuel pump (which i have ordered), get a new starter motor (which i have bought), get a new battery (which i am on with now) and to put a tank of V power in it and take it back to him. then he will map it again and see what power it makes

all in all i am very very very happy, and paul was happy with the figures too. I need to say a MASSIVE thank you to paul and alex for all their efforts and hard work throughout the day, the old girl certainly caused a few headaches! :clown:

here's a couple of crappy phone vids of it on the dyno

th_Video0036.jpg

th_Video0037.jpg

th_Video0038.jpg

Awesome, Paul really does seem like the man for mapping ;)

i would recommend him to anyone

he must have been glad to see the back of me :clown:

Nice work!

Standard engine bar the bodies? Did you sell the cams aye?

yeh sold the cams in the end, so engine is totally standard bar bodies

if i feel the need i may well fit some cams in the future, not just yet though

had my second trip to RStuning yesterday, didn't start too well, went to re-do the wiring on my fuel pump and managed to break the connector, had to quickly come up with a solution, which i did, just in time!

set off on the half hour drive to Leeds, with a quick stop to fill up with V power, or so i thought. filled her up and then could hear running water, or petrol as it was :rolleyes:

turned out i had trapped one of the fuel pump wires inbetween the rubber seal and screw lid, which was letting the fuel pour out of the top and down the front of the tank. mopped up what was there and made the rest of the journey inhaling the fumes :dead:

first thing Paul said to me when i got out of the car....... 'god you stink!' lol

Paul did his thing and got it all set up and mapped, had problems with a dodgy fuel pump connection (common problem on the mk1), especially when taking it out for a drive, lost all power and i had to reach in the back and give the wires a wiggle before it stalled :cool:

But all in all i was happy with how it performed/behaved

the car is all mapped now, idles sweetly (needs some encouragement when cold lol) and pulls nicely

been putting a few road miles on it since yesterday as a bit of a shakedown to reveal any teething problems, had a few strange noises, like the odd crunch when going into third, but nothing too serious as yet

I want to say a BIG thank you to Paul (and his assistant, Alex i think it is) for all his efforts and time in getting my car running just right, wouldn't have been able to do it without his help thats for sure! :eek:

List of things still to do:

- Secure top engine mount to lower cam cover (needs sorting when removing the inlet and plenum)
- Straighten steering wheel, despite 2 attempts already it still isn't straight
- Secure the oil catch tank
- book a track day

had my second trip to RStuning yesterday, didn't start too well, went to re-do the wiring on my fuel pump and managed to break the connector, had to quickly come up with a solution, which i did, just in time!

set off on the half hour drive to Leeds, with a quick stop to fill up with V power, or so i thought. filled her up and then could hear running water, or petrol as it was :rolleyes:

turned out i had trapped one of the fuel pump wires inbetween the rubber seal and screw lid, which was letting the fuel pour out of the top and down the front of the tank. mopped up what was there and made the rest of the journey inhaling the fumes :dead:

first thing Paul said to me when i got out of the car....... 'god you stink!' lol

Paul did his thing and got it all set up and mapped, had problems with a dodgy fuel pump connection (common problem on the mk1), especially when taking it out for a drive, lost all power and i had to reach in the back and give the wires a wiggle before it stalled :cool:

But all in all i was happy with how it performed/behaved

the car is all mapped now, idles sweetly (needs some encouragement when cold lol) and pulls nicely

been putting a few road miles on it since yesterday as a bit of a shakedown to reveal any teething problems, had a few strange noises, like the odd crunch when going into third, but nothing too serious as yet

I want to say a BIG thank you to Paul (and his assistant, Alex i think it is) for all his efforts and time in getting my car running just right, wouldn't have been able to do it without his help thats for sure! :eek:

List of things still to do:

- Secure top engine mount to lower cam cover (needs sorting when removing the inlet and plenum)
- Straighten steering wheel, despite 2 attempts already it still isn't straight
- Secure the oil catch tank

- book a track day

17th November RenaultSport Oulton Park ;)

well seeing as though a few other lurkers are updating their project threads i thought i would give this a bump.....

basically things have been up and down recently, i have been very busy with my other hobby, and then things got shaken up with my job, to the point where i stopped working on the car as it was possible i would have to sell it! :eek:

luckily things have sorted themselves out, and i now have more time to work on it

so here are some pics, and there are more to follow soon once the bonnet is finished and the new decals are applied, i can only apologise for the quality of them, iphone is all i have to hand most of the time.

firstly, i havent washed it since i bought it, so it was in need of a rinse, plus it needed to be clean when applying the decals

before
IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0228.jpg

after
IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0237.jpg

and as you will see from the shots i have fitted my custom headlight blanks, and some black tinted indicators, rear lights and repeaters, all to coincide with the new decal colour scheme

ft007.jpg

ft005.jpg

ft006.jpg

ft011.jpg

IMG_0235.jpg

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0258.jpg

another purchase was a set of carbone lorraine RC5 pads to fit the wilwood calipers, a wad of cash and a long wait later they arrived and i whacked them in and fit my brembo max discs at the same time. whilst doing the passenger side i noticed something rather worrying, my battery cable was too long and it had managed to touch the wheel at some point, it was clear that the sparks my brother saw from the passenger footwell a while ago was the battery cable rubbing on the bulkhead. time to sort that out with a battery through panel connector

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0304.jpg

yep i toyed with the idea of cams, i even had them ready to fit, but then decided against it for now

i need to get used to driving the car rather than disguise my lack of ability with more power lol

right bit more for you to digest....

with the outside of the car getting a little attention, it was time to tidy up the engine bay, i had painted the engine mount and plenum white originally, then the plenum got binned for the bodies, and the engine mount didnt stay white for long. so it was time for a change of colour scheme....

firstly the rocker cover got a splash of red

IMG_0310.jpg

then the oil seperator thing and engine mount got a splash of black

IMG_0342.jpg

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0348.jpg

IMG_0429.jpg

next on the list was a proper bracket for the coilpack, i have seen various ways of relocating the coilpack when fitting ITB's, from bolting it to the bulkhead to mounting it onto the oil seperator holes. due to the bonnet vent on the 16v/williams i wanted it moving out of the way. so taking the same idea as phreebone's setup, i got hold of some aluminium and made my own. With all the pieces in the right place i took it to an alloy welder who fixed it all together for me

test fitting
IMG_0431.jpg

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

IMG_0434.jpg

IMG_0430.jpg

my brother's cat came to inspect the work, she was most impressed! :D

then painted it black to match the rest of the bay, and you may notice that my oil catch tank now sits straight! i made a proper bracket out of a spare bit of ali whilst waiting for the paint to dry. also fitted some ducting which goes from the inlet in the passenger headlight and points over the ITB filter

IMG_0503.jpg

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0501.jpg

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

you may also notice the aerocatch's on the underside of the bonnet, we are fitting 4 of them to hold it down, done 3 so far, will get pics when the last one is done

ive got a few more jobs to do and i will post up some more pics of the progress soon

Looking good!

Is it going to appear on a trackday soon? ;)

cheers mate, yours is looking veeeeery niiiiice with the new cage setup

and yep , in 4 days to be precise :D

and i am booked up for FCS all being well

Black Clio GT
nice work, look forward to seeing this in person......
may want to drill a few holes in the corners of that bracket you have made for the coil pack as it will collect water/condensation, not good??!!

Last edited:
nice work, look forward to seeing this in person......
may want to drill a few holes in the corners of that bracket you have made for the coil pack as it will collect water/condensation, not good??!!

it's got a massive hole in the middle of it to allow the shape of the coilpack to fit inside ;)

right so here is my write up from our first ever trackday, lessons were learnt (mainly by me :eek:) and things need fixing, but i am very happy with how both me, my brother, and the car performed :D

ELVINGTON OPEN PIT LANE TRACKDAY 15/05/2010

so the weekend was here, our first trackday in the clio, and for both of us our first trackday in any vehicle!

we worked on the car through thurs and fri, getting all the small niggles out of the way. then at 5am sat morning it was time to get up and load up ready for the day ahead.

first stop was for petrol, i put £20 of v power in the clio, then filled my 20l jerry can and two small 5l cans, wasnt sure how much fuel the clio would use, so got alot to be on the safe side.

so off we went, took us just over an hour to get to elvington airfield, at which we parked up and went for a wander to find the thunderboxes lol

this is where the day got interesting.............. :rolleyes:

as i walked back to the car i noticed the fuel cap was missing, no big deal, must have left it somewhere. then i realised, i must have left it on the back of the trailer when i was filling up with fuel, had a quick look and it was gone. then it dawned on me, if the cap was missing, the keys must be in the cap!!!!! :eek:

i checked the ignition and all my pockets, no keys! my heart sank! all this prep work and money, and i was going to miss my first trackday due to a schoolboy error on my part. i was told i went drip white! lol

without a minutes thought my bro jumped in his seat leon cupra R and shouted that he would go back to look for the keys/cap, off he went. meanwhile i was starting to panic, i rang 118 118 and got the number for the petrol station where we had filled up, the guy very kindly went outside to look for the cap and keys but found nothing :(

i rang my mate who was going to come and watch and told him the scenario, he said if we can't find the keys to hotwire it, and that he will go into work (andrew page) and find a petrol cap to fit and bring it up.

so with my bro away i went and signed on and attended the safety briefing, then asked the guy in a westfield parked next to mine if i could jump in and do the sighting laps with him. he was extremely helpful and as he used to race in the xr challenge about 20 years ago he talked me through a few things to look out for.

i rang my bro again to see how things were going.......he had found the keys in the middle of the road, about 3 miles from the petrol station!! :cool: lucky is not the word!!!! no sign of the petrol cap, but i couldnt care less about that. I started to feel better as the day could now be saved!

about half an hour later my bro turned up with the keys and my mate turned up with a petrol cap, it didn't fit, but the legend that he is (love you Mark!! lol) got the file out and made it fit with a few modifications.

so from then on our day went without a hitch, the car lasted the day, the gearbox is now whining like mad and it has a rather unhealthy coolant leak, but nothing that can't be fixed with some time and money :D

after the essay i'll let the pics and vids do the rest, enjoy.....

track005.jpg

track006.jpg

track036.jpg

track037.jpg

track016.jpg

track017.jpg

track018.jpg

track031.jpg

track008.jpg

track009.jpg

th_track030.jpg

DSC_00337.jpg

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

th_elvingtonclip1_0001.jpg

th_elvingtonclip2corrected.jpg

all the vids are of me driving, each time my bro went out i forgot to turn it on :dapprove:

i also have one more video to upload which is when we switched to cut slicks and shows me getting out of shape on cold rear tyres :cool:

you are more than welcome to come and have a nosey :D

just introduce yourself and i'll be happy to have a chat

it's more than likely gonna be down in the pit garages all day near the track, so i'm assuming you can get there through the tunnel

Everythings on the grandstand side again this year Ad...only people in the paddock are the ones that are on the FCS track-time that go through the 'drive in' tunnel...

Talk about eventful with the filler cap, didnt know you were on about that last night lol. BTW any Mk1 cap will fit and work with your key ;)

Everythings on the grandstand side again this year Ad...only people in the paddock are the ones that are on the FCS track-time that go through the 'drive in' tunnel...

Talk about eventful with the filler cap, didnt know you were on about that last night lol. BTW any Mk1 cap will fit and work with your key ;)

ah dammit, well it might get moved into the show area with the other lads i am teamed up with, but it's doubtful lol

haha i told you it was an eventful day :eek:

Brilliant to see it being used :D

Can't wait to see it. Like the new colour scheme too :)

cheers bud :D

it's taken me a while to get it how i wanted and ready for the track, but there's nothing to stop me now so i'm trying to book as many as i can before winter kicks in

here's the last vid as promised

cold and worn rear tyres plus a bumpy surface can lead to a very interesting car to drive lol

th_elvingtonclip3_0002corrected.jpg