ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my mk1 cup racer blog (updates page 29)

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
Re: My mk1 track car blog

Glad to see your progressing on yours.

Im waiting for my chipped willy ecu to get back to me, then mine should be running on a dizzy!

but before that ive gotto go back, get the engine out, change the clutch. fly etc. main reason for taking the engine out is so that i can change the loom and tidy it up a bit whilst im at it!

haha mental mate, dizzied f4r! was it a pain to do?

im taking a risk with the clutch, engine has supposedly done 20k so im thinking the clutch will be ok for a while, if its not i'll have some fun fitting a new one :rolleyes:

im off to an engineering place near my work that just sell all sorts of nuts and bolts, gonna buy a load of stuff to help me get the torsion bars out (like nuts that arent soft as sh!te) fingers crossed i will have better luck on saturday. in the mean time i will be spraying my engine mounts and fuel rail guard tonight :cool:

Last edited:

nice mate, amazingly the dizzy was very easy to fit, just got a quick adapter plate made up by an engineering firm as i didnt have 10mm ally! cost me £15! happy days, then roughly set up timing so that it'll fire up and run then get a light on it and set it up properly, i had it running on a dizzy on valver management, revved well, and saves alot of wiring trying to get ign live etc onto the new loom, and it solves the rev counter issure nice and easily!

right only a very small update but im sat here waiting for paint to dry and browsing for stuff to buy (altho im reluctant to as the 106 needs its MOT and tax sorting this month)

gave the engine mount/gearbox mount and fuel rail guard there first couple of coats of white, im not particularly fond of spraying but it keeps costs down and practice makes perfect as they say

lined up ready to go
DSC00266.jpg

DSC00267.jpg

for some reason i didnt take any pics of them in primer, but im sure you all know what it looks like!

this is after there first couple of coats, need to buy another can of white 2moro as im not happy with it yet
DSC00273.jpg

DSC00276.jpg

DSC00277.jpg

my make shift spray booth (there is actually a running machine under there)
DSC00279.jpg

notice all the drips, i dunno why but i always seem to make the cans leak??!?!? highly annoying but not life threatening lol

and theres not alot much more to tell, went and bought some m10 nuts and bolts to aid im my torsion bar removal saga

oh and my lambdas arrived from winston, only to find that the delivery driver had managed to bend one of them, why cant these people be more careful?!
DSC00269.jpg

oh and my seats should arrive later this week
sparco%20sprint%20combi.jpg

cheers bud :D

need to sort some side mounts for the seats, but that might have to wait til the 106 passes (fingers crossed) its MOT

need to fit a wishbone before it will pass mind, had the part sat in the garage for weeks, clio seems to be getting all the attention lately :rolleyes:

Exige S1 + Honda S1

How much did you pay for the seats? Best price I can get is 198 delivered for the 2 plus side mounts

this is a good read btw

How much did you pay for the seats? Best price I can get is 198 delivered for the 2 plus side mounts

this is a good read btw

i ended up getting them for £215 delivered, i contacted a few people to see what prices they could offer but got bored of waiting to hear back so just went ahead and got them

i kept getting blagged by VAT aswell, some sites that looked like a good price would actually be plus VAT so not that great after all

wheres the £198 delivered from?

ITB'd 182...

good price for the seats. look alot more expensie than that if you get me :eek:

good price for the seats. look alot more expensie than that if you get me :eek:

yeh i thought they looked good for the price, and because im trying to keep costs down they were just the job :D

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182

I love these project threads! keep us updated :)

Rb182cup+s2 rallye

like the seats what are they called is 215 with side mounts?

Exige S1 + Honda S1

they are sparco sprint 5's

just realised the price I had was plus vat too..dammit!
best price is peter lloyd racing, who are 210 delivered too!

they are sparco sprint 5's

just realised the price I had was plus vat too..dammit!
best price is peter lloyd racing, who are 210 delivered too!

are you sure £210 includes delivery?

and no that price does not include side mounts, i think steel ones are £30 per pair so £60 to do both seats

anyone got any pics of how they have mounted there side mounts? are they just bolted to the floor? or do they need some sort of subframe?

ah yeh i saw them on ebay, fiver saved is a fiver in your pocket :)

tbh i was looking at this site as they have something else i want, but ended up getting the seats lol

UPDATE

right after my first attempt on the torsion bars i decided it was do or die this time round, i was either gonna get them out, or break something trying

first job of the day was to fit a lower arm to my 106, after getting that sorted i turned my attention to the clio :evil:

i put a bolt into the bars and royally smacked the living s**t out of them :mad: in an attempt to free up any rust

then after a good 4 or 5 attempts on each bar at winding them out like so....

DSC00298.jpg

success

DSC00300.jpg

look ma no bar! :D

DSC00299.jpg

this was just one side that i had got out, so i got to work on the other side, now i dunno if i have the worst luck sometimes, but i could hear it banging and creaking as it came out, result i thought....... i thought wrong. tried to pull it all the way out by hand and it got stuck after about an inch :S sat there and scratched my head, quite tired and with light fading :dapprove:

had a look at the other bar and realised that it has a rubber sleeve over it, however the rubber sleeve wasnt coming out with the second one!!

basically what had happened is that the sleeve had snagged when pulling it out, jamming itself and refusing to budge :mad: so i got the stanley knife and cut the rest of it away and then got the blowtorch out, trying to melt as much as i could that was stuck. eventually after a LOT of messing about i managed to free it and out came the second bar.

by the time i had measured up and got the bars back in this was the best pic i could get :eek:

DSC00301.jpg

but then i got some more today in daylight

DSC00308.jpg

i measured it as 60mm drop, does this look right for 60mm? im not sure whether its quite low enough? :evil:

what do you lot reckon?

oh and with all the messing around i didnt have time to fit my fk dampers! so thats on next weeks to do list :D

Last edited:

You didnt have to remove them fully!!! but looks good!

mines 2 notches on the bar, going one more when its passed its mot again.

i had to take one side fully out as i needed to sort something :eek: so thought what the hell i'll take them both out

right rear shocks are on so thats the suspension sorted

also took off my front brake lines ready to get some new ones made up 2moro

then next job is to borrow a hoist and get the engine in :D cant wait :clap:

seats still havent arrived :( gonna have to chase them 2moro

GDI 227bhp ITB`d 172 cup

excellant mate, can`t wait till finished (bet u can`t either lol) u wil hav to track race ben p to see who`s is the better track toy lol :)

excellant mate, can`t wait till finished (bet u can`t either lol) u wil hav to track race ben p to see who`s is the better track toy lol :)

now i dont think that would be a fair race lol

if i can have a second head start for every pound less i have spent than him then i might have a go ;) :rasp:

oh dear the budget has just taken another setback lol

seen some carbon fibre stuff i want, i dont NEED it, but since when did that matter?! lol

williams and trophy

looking good fella. one question tho. why the f4r? i know not many are around, but surely if you are on a budget an f7r would have worked out cheaper

looking good fella. one question tho. why the f4r? i know not many are around, but surely if you are on a budget an f7r would have worked out cheaper

you are right an f7r would have worked out cheaper, but there is something about mixing old styling with new engine that appeals to me

i like a challenge, and building this on a budget was what i wanted, tbh ive got enough money to just throw my wallet at someone and have all the work done for me, but thats not what im all about. also you are right i like the fact that there arent many around, sure they are a growing breed, but still only a handful afaik

i could have put a tu5 (think thats the code) in my 106, absolute doddle, been done about a million times in all sorts of other peugeots, but because it is so popular its sort of boring (no offence to any pug owners with it done, as i know it gives good gains)

if all that sounds a bit rude its not supposed to :)

oh and i know i keep going on about the budget but its only what i set myself to see if i could do it (i will have gone over it by the end :eek: ), i could have gone to town on it and bought the best of everything, but then im a yorkshireman, so that explains alot lmao

williams and trophy

lol.no need to explain that to me mate lol. im a yorkshireman too ;)

personally i would have gone the vag route if you wanted to be diff, only 1 more of those around too, but you have the added bonus of fitting a reliable engine as well. and would probs have been around the same cost to purchase as the 172 lump, give or take a couple hundred.

but like you say each to their own.

good luck with the rest of the build. look forward to seeing it finished.

lol.no need to explain that to me mate lol. im a yorkshireman too ;)

personally i would have gone the vag route if you wanted to be diff, only 1 more of those around too, but you have the added bonus of fitting a reliable engine as well. and would probs have been around the same cost to purchase as the 172 lump, give or take a couple hundred.

but like you say each to their own.

good luck with the rest of the build. look forward to seeing it finished.

whereabouts in yorkshire are you mate? will have to bring the old girl for a meet when shes ready (by god shes gonna be a dirty little sl@g lol)

thought about VAG, but management seemed to bump up the cost which i wasnt keen on.

cheers for the luck, i'll be cashing that in when it comes to the wiring :D

cheers m!keydee, hopefully the updates will be coming a bit faster when some parts gets ordered and delivered, bring on payday :cool:

williams and trophy

from near halifax mate.

standalone ecu would cope with the wiring, altho like u say bumps up the cost. but then the vag unit also bumps up the output by quite a lot, so would be well worth doing in the long run if you plan on modding the f4, which tbh, if you want summat quick your going to have to mod it ;)

(waits for the flaming)

welcome over for a comparison any time fella.

from near halifax mate.

standalone ecu would cope with the wiring, altho like u say bumps up the cost. but then the vag unit also bumps up the output by quite a lot, so would be well worth doing in the long run if you plan on modding the f4, which tbh, if you want summat quick your going to have to mod it ;)

(waits for the flaming)

lol brave comments on here :D

the engine will be getting no more than breathing mods, not aiming for maximum output, just a light car with a decent engine, will do until the urge for more power overcomes me :rolleyes:

williams and trophy

see^^^^^

lol

from near halifax mate.

(waits for the flaming)

lol brave comments on here :D

only saying what they all know mate ;)

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v

the engine will be getting no more than breathing mods, not aiming for maximum output, just a light car with a decent engine, will do until the urge for more power overcomes me :rolleyes:[/quote]

This all sounds very very familiar lol. Good progress though fella:)

lmao at some of the comments :lolup:

if i can resist engine mods then i'll be doing well, will have to wait and see what it drives like first :D

at the moment im just enjoying buiding it, and the thought of driving it for the first time is keeping me going, loadsa noise, totally impractical..... LOVE IT!!!! :evil:

woohoo 106 passed its mot today :D

means there will be more money to spend on the clio this month :clap:

now where did i put that carbon fibre supplier website :evil: :cool:

Ph1 Sport

loving it! wish i was clever enough to do iy myself! ... going to have words with my dad so he can start teachin me!