ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my mk1 cup racer blog (updates page 29)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Re: My mk1 track car blog

I feel your pain, been there with the many hours spent and so little progress made.

Chin up though, all part of the fun!!

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer

right ive not taken any pics AGAIN!! :eek: apologies to the peeps who require their daily fix of images lol

got my new gear lever in and connected selector up to gearbox, gave it a quick test....we have gears!!

then bolted on my soft pedal clutch bracket and rigged up my clutch cable....we have a clutch!!

cant remember if i said this already but also got my throttle rigged up, took a bit of fettling as it wasnt returning to fully closed when taking foot off pedal, but i think ive sorted it now :)

also took a dremel and a hack saw to the dash, i now have a very small dashboard :evil: and i connected all the dials and what not back in, although i think i may have mullered the hazard switch in the process :mad: only time will tell :rolleyes:

and i THINK ive got my head around the fuel pressure regulator, but again only time will tell whether my plan works, or if the whole project ends in a ball of flames lmao

well the ph1 loom and ECU (thats 3 172 ecu's i have now!!) i bought turned up today, so it looks like i will have my head in a maze of wires this weekend :dead:

i'd like to get my seats in this weekend aswell, but undecided whether to have them on runners or not. oh and i need to sort the fuelling out :rolleyes:

this week i will be mostly praying to the rain gods for a dry weekend! :hail:

Yellow is ign live, you only need the 3mm wire, that runs all the ign lives you need.

White is starter, again a 3mm cable.

and white with a red trace is fuel pump on the valver side.

ok mate its only a few wires but it'll get it up and running :)

i.e i'll tell you which ones are the ign live, the fuel pump, the starter signal.

thats exactly what i need mate, as long as the sucker runs i can mess around with other stuff later :D

sound job mate appreciate that :D

i just want it moving under its own power now, gf's parents are having the drive covered in gravel, and there is no way im pushing it on gravel!! lol

lol, well mine started and ran with those 3 conected... the other one you need to do, depending on what alt you run, you need a ign live for the alternator.

using valver alternator, 172 one wouldn't adjust on the renault safrane bracket im using

Last edited:

ah right, yea you need an ign live on the regulator, there are 2 connectors, say the alt is sitting with the reg at the top, you need the terminal nearest the block to have ign live.

in total ive got 1 valver ecu and 3 172 ecu's

no idea what sort of working order they are in :S i need to send one of them off to RStuning to be decoded, once ive done that and got it running the others will be up for grabs :)

ive also got the loom that came with the engine, but as i said earlier certain connectors have been chopped and then rewired at some point, alhough the lad who had it before me said he had the engine running using this loom

right, did a little bit on the clio this weekend, but nothing of any an great consequence, mainly due to time and money issues, ie lack of both :(

but i took some pics of what ive been doing for the past couple of weekends..

gearbox mount all sorted
DSC00357.jpg

clutch cable connected up using soft pedal fork and bracket
DSC00356.jpg

abs removed and i measured up my brake lines so will get them sorted this week
DSC00355.jpg

alternator mounted up
DSC00358.jpg

dash butchered :evil:
DSC00352.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

oh and indoor swimming pool fitted :rolleyes:
DSC00349.jpg

sunroof has been slowly letting water in, so i've just been out and sealed it with some silicone, hopefully that will stop it!

and thats about it, got my gob round the fuel rail and gave it a blow ;) so now i know i need to fit my fpr in-line, and i trial fitted my induction kit...more on that when its complete.

postie delivered my carbon interior door handles today

as i will be using plain carbon door cards i realised i would have nothing to grab to shut the door, so i got these

DSC00379.jpg

DSC00382.jpg

2.0 175dci rs meggy

clutch cable connected up using soft pedal fork and bracket
DSC00356.jpg

are u using a valver box?
standard clutch fork?
why did u add the cable braket?

'92 172, Lotus Elise

looks like a 172 'box to me

the fork is longer hence the brackets to accommodate. It makes the clutch pedal a lot softer - really needed for the 172 clutch

looks like a 172 'box to me

the fork is longer hence the brackets to accommodate. It makes the clutch pedal a lot softer - really needed for the 172 clutch

as above its a 172 box, i got the longer clutch fork and bracket from renault to make the pedal softer :)

2.0 175dci rs meggy

cool - im just having a nightmare with my valver ever since clutch cable snapped. i replaced and pedal felt totally weird since then clutch and fork have been replaced, i can engage i would say 50/50 but the pedal constantly changes feel from being hard and not selecting gear very well to soft and engaging correctly. doing my sweede in (sorry to hi-jack thread) only thing left to change is the pedal unit. its just completly bizarre was all ok before cable snapped, thought it was wrong cable but work (reno) are positive its the right cable