ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new racecar project (Icemans old shell)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Nearly ready for Cadwell this coming weekend.
Had the geo checked and tweaked by Richard at Blink Motorsport on Saturday.
Got the rest of the jobs done last night too. Was 'one in one out' at the workshop though.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410945932.646404.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410946128.553646.jpg

Spanner checked the whole car with no issues, changed the engine oil and filter and gearbox oil. Roll on the weekend.
Russ

Cup In bits
Good choice on the Civic, they're a dream to work on from the clio's. You just drop everything on the subframe upfront, its ideal and cheap to tune too.

Have you got big plans for the suspension with adjustable arms etc?

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Car looks so good!

Who's is the T?

Thanks martin, trophy used to belong to Chi I think, a local guy Adam has it now.

Just read the whole thread...What a beast you've built there! Loving the sound of the clio mate

Thanks mate must of taken some time! Keep an eye out after the weekend for a race weekend report and videos.
MG cup don't have a final spec for suspension yet but obviously there's more scope for easy geo changes on the civic and there's lots of bits available. Cupman29 obviously depends how far I go but I'm going to keep the weight down where I can, the cage in the clio is excessive for a circuit car IMO so weight can be saved there when specing a new build, it wont be under a 1000kg without driver but as close to that as I can really.
Russ

Must remember to have a closer look at your car at Oulton next month Russ.

Just looked back through some of the thread, such a tidy build mate :approve:

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
25th to 6th in the first race? Was a great run! Some good racing between you, James and Pieman in that part of the field. I throughly enjoyed the races from a spectators view, so thanks! :)

Yes mate 25th to 6th in the first race, another lap and I've been right in the fight for 1st/2nd! Glad you enjoyed it mate, its a great series with good close racing and I hope it keeps bring more spectators and competitors in the future.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
So, weekend report, good and bad!
Arrived at Cadwell park on Friday afternoon about 4.30pm, never raced here before and only ever driven it on a trackday in a standard dc2 back in 2006! It seemed like when I got there everyone was having car issues, James had lost drive in his clio which turned out to be a broken clutch plate and Simons Saxo had eaten its gearbox. Thankfully both guys pulled a blinder and had cars in bits all night to sort them out, big respect.
Pretty much got setup and the car unpacked and said hello to the new and regular faces before heading to horncastle for an Indian.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411411203.168664.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411411221.984723.jpg

The weather was a bit gloomy and drizzly when we left, just as we where eating the biggest thunder storm hit, lightening, torrential rain the lot! Great, wet racing this weekend then! It wouldn't normally bother me but the clio has never been out in the wet!

Decent nights sleep in the audi and ready for scrut first thing in Saturday, very picky as mentioned by others this weekend, not a bad thing IMO just some consistency would be good, no yellow tape on my battery neg lead was all he could find so I was happy. Others were not so lucky, Andy the new guy had a seized battery isolator pull chord that we managed to change between me him and tony, job done we thought but his master switch wasn't wired correctly so wouldn't isolate the car, scrut failed and quali missed! Thanks to Sonny he got it sorted and was allowed to do his 3 mandatory kudos and start the race from the back.............
Which leads me on to my quali, conditions were looking a but dicey, light rain/drizzle just before meant the track was damp but a quick recce showed it wasn't as wet as I thought it might be. R1-r's left on the rack and the Dunlops changed for the 888's we were ready to roll, got to assembly too late and was well down the list to get any free track, a slippery out lap and some manic tyre warming didn't stop me running on at the 2nd last corner, a 2.10 lap flashed on the dash just before the session was red flagged, just got into the pits and realised I had no gears at all, problem with the linkage! Managed to flick the box into 4th underneath and slip the clutch back to the paddock, 1 lap with an off and I was 25th on the grid! That was if we could fix the box.
Lucky one if James mates had lent him a standard gearbox that he didn't need and we managed to pinch a part from it to fix the linkage. For reference it was the circlip that holds plastic cup/socket for the pivot that that dropped out.
Stolen part fitted and linkage adjusted and back running again, big thanks again to James, lee and his mate with the gearbox.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411412213.377874.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411412235.310825.jpg

Race 1
I've always quite liked the idea of starting from the back and trying to get through the field, however a 15 minute race and the twisty narrow and occasionally damp Cadwell track aren't an ideal scenario to do it in! So with 24 cars in front we set off, well the grid did, I was sleeping! No cars passed off the start, once undeway it want as tricky as I'd feared, nobody really blocked my path and got past 6-10 cars before a safety car was deployed for 2-3laps while an accident was cleared. Race underway once more and I'd passed the mr2 on the start finish and set off after the rest if the pack a long way up the road, manage to get past the red 205 and could see the 3 French leaders in the distance with clear track in front. 2 fast laps got me past Simon in the Saxo who had a major moment and nearly collected me when rejoining, another quick lap and I was gaining fast on Kev in the clio 200 and James in his 182, then chequered flag! Damn, one more lap and I'd have been right on them. Came home 6th overall from 25th, 3rd French car home and fastest French lap by over half a second, one of the best races I've ever had. Cadwell is awesome to drive, the left/right section at the mountain is brilliant, can chuck the clio through there so fast!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411412869.336804.jpg

Race 1 video here
[video=youtube_share;Q1FqhTAat9Q]http://youtu.be/Q1FqhTAat9Q[/video]

Race 2
Now race 2 was a totally different animal, dried up a lot even though there was drizzle in the air. we started in 6th, got a good start only I had nowhere to go as James didn't get away, by the time I'd had another go I missed 2nd gear and about 6 cars passed me, managed to make them back after the second corner when a civic spun in a tight pack, the 2 leaders james and Simon got away and I had a decent size gap to bridge, 2-3 quick laps and I was on them setting the fastest French lap again by over a quarter of a second, had some fun with Simon and passed him into the second corner and set off after James who'd pulled a gap by now, finally got on his bumper and was thinking about where to try a move for the lead. Coming through the last 2 right handers under the trees we were bumper to bumper, I got a far better exit from the first of the 2 corners and jinked right to avoid james as I thought he'd missed a gear, by the time I was straight the second right was upon us and under the trees was still wet as it always is at Cadwell, I locked up and the inevitable happened, James gave me all the room in the world but I hit him in his offside 1/4 and door. We both recovered to finish but Simon had nipped past and so ended with me 3rd again and james in front. No video from race 2 as the footage of the incident asks more questions than it answers, it looks as if I was putting a move on him in the stupidest place imaginable but that's not the case. I've held my hands up and apologised so hopefully that's the end of, we're not going fall out over it and hopefully he gets the car sorted ASAP. Felt pretty miserable after this so packed up and sulked all the way home!
Another weekend where we've had the quickest car and not converted it into a win + now have some damage to sort out before oulton park in under 2 weeks.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411414295.647736.jpg

Cosmetically its nothing, cracked the wing and took some paint off, had it all stripped back and everything looks straight, there's a kink in the subframe but I'm not sure if that was there previously. Gonna check the geo this week and properly check it on the ramp but fingers crossed is ok for oulton.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411414432.703266.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411414447.694559.jpg

Roll on 4th October!
Russ

182cup & 172 racecar
Good fun Russ, a bit like my race last year after I span on the first lap, just go for it.

Poor mr2 driver at 2.20 ish we past him on each side!!

Simon was a little risky the way he came back on, but still..:)

clio cup
No point sulking about it Russ, Your fighting for position and when that position is first place the pressures are great and mistakes can be made, I'm sure you were the first person to hold your hands up and apologise, That's what a real man does!
James has also been in your position so should understand that when you are racing on the edge a very small mistake by either the two cars can spiral into damage,

No One goes racing to smash their or others cars up but the risks are high.

I’ve done well to have 3 years racing and this be the worst damage so can’t really complain :) As Dave says I had the same situation but roles reversed last year with Tony and know how bad I felt so could completely see it from your point of view! Glad your car hasn’t got much damage, bit gutted about mine but thats racing and it will be sorted in no time i’m sure :)

Shame about you not putting the video up was interested to see it from another perspective but can understand if you don’t want to put it up.

Can’t remember if you said you are doing Snett or not but hopefully see you there.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve done well to have 3 years racing and this be the worst damage so can’t really complain :) As Dave says I had the same situation but roles reversed last year with Tony and know how bad I felt so could completely see it from your point of view! Glad your car hasn’t got much damage, bit gutted about mine but thats racing and it will be sorted in no time i’m sure :)

Shame about you not putting the video up was interested to see it from another perspective but can understand if you don’t want to put it up.

Can’t remember if you said you are doing Snett or not but hopefully see you there.

Not doing snet I don't think, going to make oulton the last race of the season.
Russ

Really enjoyed watching that first race of you making your way through the pack. Some great driving there. Would have been very interesting to carry on watching if there was a few more laps to it.

When that black car re joined the track after the off I was really convinced he was going to collect you!!

Unfortunate about the accident in race 2, but accidents will happen when the racing is this close. The most important thing is that no one was hurt and the damage on both cars isn't too serious (from what I've seen/heard anyway).

Shame that you wont upload the video from race 2, would have loved to watch it. Even if the kiss was edited out.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You caught James up really fast mate once past the Saxo. Good bit of driving that! Shame you chose to edit out the incident though. Must admit I've woken up with that bird and her cuddly toy or whatever the f**k it is on several occasions. Lol!

Cadwell is such a tight circuit with not a great deal of run off that little errors can lead to big accidents. I was unfortunate enough to high side a rgv250 there when I was 16/17 so I found out the hard way! It's still the only uk circuit that I've driven and not been bored of by about 11am though on a trackday!

You've got yourself a seriously quick car there! Combined with some very good driving. I'm not surprised you're right up there in the ranks and putting in fastest laps.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
You caught James up really fast mate once past the Saxo. Good bit of driving that! Shame you chose to edit out the incident though. Must admit I've woken up with that bird and her cuddly toy or whatever the f**k it is on several occasions. Lol!

Cadwell is such a tight circuit with not a great deal of run off that little errors can lead to big accidents. I was unfortunate enough to high side a rgv250 there when I was 16/17 so I found out the hard way! It's still the only uk circuit that I've driven and not been bored of by about 11am though on a trackday!

I love rgv 250's, always hankered after a blue/white rgv 250f when I was younger.
Russ