ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new racecar project (Icemans old shell)

182 track, Mk7 ST
No problem grant, race car or just trackday car?
Sonny, if I can get a deal on some A048's then they're my first choice otherwise going to try a set of the Dunlop Dz03j's as they're supposed to be good and well priced, currently have a worn set of R888's that weren't new when I got them as my dry set. Have some R1-r's for wet/damp and some uniroyal rainsport 2's if its monsoon weather!
russ

It's currently a track car but it's getting a cage fitted once I either find someone to fit an existing cage or fabricate and fit one, I'll be getting it built to MSA specs as I'm looking to compete maybe next year or the year after depending on funds, namely mortgage saving etc, but in the meantime track days with this in mind so it is ready, spreads the build cost too! Spoken to Custom as I like the work they did, saw the car a couple of times when Mark owned it, but they seem to be really funny about simple adaptations!

The power steering conversion is high on the list too, looks so much tidier aswell as seemingly being more reliable as you haven't got to worry about the maze of standard pipework that is known to fail, I've got a feeling that my HP pipe to pump is on its way out anyway so it's an ideal time to change! How much did that lot cost you to change if you don't mind me asking? I've found the pumps for £40-60 so just getting the pipework made up and routed really, if I'm right wiring is just a case of giving it a 12V feed no?

Sorry for the Spanish inquisition lol!

Cheers,

Grant

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Think you two need to leave poor Henry alone!
Grant, good idea building the car to blue book regs then at least its ready to race if you want to in the future, get sling to some Tricolore Trophy races this season and have a chat with some of us and watch some good racing. I'm guessing custom cages don't like deviating from the standard cages as they've homologated them that way, not sure if they painted the cage in mine originally, I know they fitted it, as the paint is shocking!
As for the pump, yeah just needs a 12v supply through a relay with a switch. Most expensive part is getting the pipes made up by pirtek or the like.
Russ

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
You can make the hoses up yourself if you know what fittings to buy Grant89. It's just a case of searching through earls/goodridge catalogues and ordering the stuff up. Earls will sort you out with the right pipe if you give them a bell. All really helpful chaps.

182 track, Mk7 ST
Russ Rallye I'm thinking I might have to come along and get involved and have a nose around your cars and just generally have a look at the racing and see how it's run etc. I've seen Tony, James and a couple of others race in Tin Tops before but there's a lot of newcomers in the Tricolore that I haven't seen before so would be good to meet some of you!

Yeah that seemed the issue tbh although I can't understand how adding more strengthening bars to a cage could affect when other cages such as the Oreca race cage are available in the exact same style I wanted them to build hence I'm just considering buying that and getting it fitted elsewhere, just trying to find somewhere atm that's the thing.

Yeah they did do the paint in yours as far as I can remember, I didn't realise it was quite that from the look round it I had.

Ok cool, cheers for that, I'll get sorting it all soon then, need to strip it down first for the cage to be sorted. With regards to the cage I can't find all that much on the regs stating exactly what is and isn't allowed to race in this series, is there a limit on the number of pickup points you can have to the shell?
NorthloopCup Cheers mate. That sounds alright to me , I've got one sitting at work actually so I'll have a flick through and see what I can find and then put in a call when it comes to it :approve:

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Another few steps closer, had the suspension setup at Blink in Winsford yesterday. Wasn't planning on adjusting the rear but it had moved/settled since last geo so a couple of shims required to get it back to where it should be, gained a touch of toe out on the rear too which should help. Also added some more camber on the front so is now 3.5 degrees, still 10mm toe out on the front and other settings as they were. Corner weights weren't far away from last time but the car was a lot lighter on the scales this time, I must have had it done with full fuel last time. Pretty sure I've got 15-20litres on board now and it came in at 886kg.
Picked up my new set of Dunlops from Tweeks and had them fitted to my Ultralegs, luckily the front 2 didn't need any weights on them at all so is a bonus for clearing the calipers.
u4ezurab.jpg

ujubu5az.jpg

Got my new numbers to go on as well. Just have to change the brake fluid now and bleed the brakes and do a complete spanner check when its on the ramp.
Have it a quick clean while it was out the garage too.
Russ
dynumehu.jpg

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
So turns out there was very little fuel in it, approx 15 litres so makes it approx 875kg with no driver or fuel, not bad considering the cage must be close on 50kgs.
Anyway, had it on the ramp last night and spanner checked everything. Changed the brake fluid to castrol srf and bled the system.
uqyqy3y3.jpg

9eqe5u4e.jpg

Managed to fit the Nimbus heat shielding behind the exhaust manifold to keep the heat away for the brake lines, pas pipes etc.
upa7a3u8.jpg

One slight annoyance is I can't get my dash to read the fuel level, I keep losing the water temp input so that's on hold for now.
Looks like its going to be wet for oulton on Friday unfortunately.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Yes James getting a voltage reading isn't a problem from the sender just the fact that when the analogue input (no. 2 in this case) is enabled it stops my water temp, via can from the ecu, being displayed on the dash, it just shows zero.
Russ

182 track, Mk7 ST
No worries mate @Grant89. If you let me know what stuff your after I'll price it up for you as I used to get 45% discount at earls. Lol

Cheers mate, that'd be much appreicated when it comes to it :D

Car's looking great btw Russ! I'm in love with that workshop, need to get me one of those haha!

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Black flag for drive by noise even though it passed static testing easily. Then I've got a decent engine oil and possible gearbox oil leak too. More info when I've pulled the motor tonight.
Russ

clio cup
What the hell is happening!

Dropping like flies!

Check your thermostat housing seal Russ, can leak between that and the head, give signs of gearbox leak, I had a problem after changing and so did Sonny, Hope its nothing too serious mate

Seen it on the trailer and was going to come over for a chat and look around shame but better now then on a race day. Red caddy van may the way.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Well to my eyes it's just gearbox oil that was leaking into the bell housing and with all the clutch dust in there has run out black, no signs of any engine oil leaks, back of the flywheel and crank seal are bone dry as is the block under the stat housing.
Gearbox input shaft seal is visibly damaged so fingers crossed that's all it was and we'll be good to go for Rockingham.
Russ