ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new uber camp automobile. MX-5 Project.

you need to have MASSIVE balls to attempt to drift open lol! only way you get it to slide is by chucking it in to a corner as hard and fast as u can in fact i wouldn't even attempt it lol! if you get an open diff weld it, even most lsd's are shot to f**k and won't lock that well... but if its just for occasional playing a stock lsd is fine if you want to get serious you need to look at a 2 way

I thought that might be the case...
Are welded diff's not a pain in the balls when you're parking/turning on full lock though?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
not really, tight slow turns like parking it just drags the tyre which will get you funny looks, unless you have driven rwd for a long time i wouldn't suggest a welded diff on a road car you will end up spanking the car very easy lol! i would get a car with a lsd and learn to drive it first....

Surely something as low powered as an MX5 would need all the help it can get to get sideways?

I'll be honest, i just don't want to pay £300+ for a second hand LSD that might be completely worn out... lol

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Surely something as low powered as an MX5 would need all the help it can get to get sideways?

I'll be honest, i just don't want to pay £300+ for a second hand LSD that might be completely worn out... lol

In a word no.. it's surprisingly easy to get even my 1.6 sideways..

Homo spec mazda
Ive got a welder, had it very soon after getting the car and I havent had any trouble keeping the car wheels up.

Kroozin- I found it wayyyyyyy underpowered, lack of wand made it weird to initiate, so I was carrying too much speed 90% of the time. I had a lot of offs, mainly trying to manji the whole back straight. Hit the hay bails a few times, no bad damage though, managed to shred a set of tyres.

229672_193212384073283_100001535673218_520779_1032779_n.jpg

281491_193212440739944_100001535673218_520781_4576997_n.jpg

184041_193212864073235_100001535673218_520795_5076184_n.jpg

183804_193213207406534_100001535673218_520806_1167317_n.jpg

183798_193213314073190_100001535673218_520810_4530949_n.jpg

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

300 will pretty much get you a new kaaz diff lol!!! if you are paying more than 100 for a diff second hand unless its a 1.5 or a 2 way you are buying in the wrong place lol!!! you don't need power to get sideways if you think that you are looking at drifting wrong! look at ae86's they drift stock and have piss all power its down to how you drive it!! power is one way to drift! weight shift, locking the rear wheels (wand) clutch kicks etc are all other ways to drift, tbh a mx5 is a hard car to drift as is a ae86! the shorter the wheelbase the harder it is!! if you want to drift easy get a sbody or a bmw.... or a soarer....

Hurr, yeah. Shame you couldn't sort a headlamp cover out, dude.

P7308067.jpg

Buxton, this month, boy, it's been too long! I'm there for the weekend too.:clown:

300 will pretty much get you a new kaaz diff lol!!! if you are paying more than 100 for a diff second hand unless its a 1.5 or a 2 way you are buying in the wrong place lol!!! you don't need power to get sideways if you think that you are looking at drifting wrong! look at ae86's they drift stock and have piss all power its down to how you drive it!! power is one way to drift! weight shift, locking the rear wheels (wand) clutch kicks etc are all other ways to drift, tbh a mx5 is a hard car to drift as is a ae86! the shorter the wheelbase the harder it is!! if you want to drift easy get a sbody or a bmw.... or a soarer....

Lol! Fair one. I'll just grow some balls and learn how to do it properly! Haha

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
My mate was saying in his 1.6 MX it's all about the clutch kick and carrying a lot of speed into the corner, pretty much the same as most cars I assume but the lack of power means it's just harder. I think his welded diff helps, too.

I'm very tempted by one of these now :/

Homo spec mazda
There isnt a video of me manji-ing the straight, even if there was I only got it completely right once. :(

This is however a video from my second session. No wand no nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
  320d
Are you still thinking about going forced induction seb? It looks like an extra 50 or so bhp would really help with the drifting.

MX5s are ridiculously hard to drift well. Kicking the arse out is easy but holding it is something else. Easier if it's 200bhp+ but even my 140bhp 1.8 was shite tbh.

Oh and malice £300 is the going rate for a second hand proper locker, none of this vlsd s**t.

Homo spec mazda
You werent trying hard enough. Simple as, just takes bigger balls then an s body or anything else jap, similar to an ae86.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
You werent trying hard enough. Simple as, just takes bigger balls then an s body or anything else jap, similar to an ae86.

LOL! you realise a ae86 is just as hard to drift if not harder than a mx5 don't you?? you did well in your mx5 but don't assume a 86 is easier in any way lol!!!

as for the price of proper lsd's like a kaaz or similar i wouldn't pay more than 400 for a new one lol, its who you know ;)

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
LOL! you realise a ae86 is just as hard to drift if not harder than a mx5 don't you?? you did well in your mx5 but don't assume a 86 is easier in any way lol!!!

as for the price of proper lsd's like a kaaz or similar i wouldn't pay more than 400 for a new one lol, its who you know ;)

I think that's what he meant. the AE86 is of a similar difficulty to drift as the mx

Homo spec mazda
Ye i meant an Ae86 is similar, i have a mate who has one with hks cams and its easier, but certainly no S body. Malice Id love a kaaz diff for £300. Hook me up!

Homo spec mazda
Another small update.

Fitted a sparco rev which i got cheap off a friend.... is stupidly comfy for a bucket seat.
2011-08-20165002.jpg

also whipped off the rear bumper
2011-08-24175212.jpg

Removed the rear bumper bar and did a quick bumper chop,s till needs tidying up but getting rid of that fog was one of the best moves ive ever made.

2011-08-24180335.jpg

2011-08-20163409.jpg

Also had some exhaust work done after a silencer collapsed, had that removed and the back box was rusted through so that went too, little did I realise just how loud itd make things, il try and get a video up at some point, but Im actually not a massive fan of it, I love the hilarity of how loud it is, but I dislike living with it.

Homo spec mazda
Ah so there not a "we found these in the uk so are selling them on" kinda place? fail :( theres a guy on Mx5 nutz who got some guy to sort out bidding on yahoo japan and the guy took care of all the shipping etc, cant remember the name though.

Homo spec mazda
That's a good job for the weekend!
Did you get that ducktail spoiler from MX5Nutz? Looks pretty good!

Its pretty scary at first but before you know it your tearing chunks out of it

No its off mx5parts dude canny remember how much but £120 rings a bell.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
if you want anything from japan, like on japan yahoo auctions or want anything in particular let me know i have a mate in japan and he every 3 months or so send a container over full of parts... wheels, body kit, engines, gearboxes, seats... anything you want... can also get individual items sent over...

for instance i got a power fc from him, in the uk second hand you are looking at £500 as a rough guide for a power fc ecu and the commander (screen part) i got it from him landed in the uk for £380.... wheels i can get in the containers for like £250-300 for a good rare set of 18's for instance...

that japanese performance sold a set of equips in 18's with the rears being 12" wide and 10" wide fronts, now i know they paid 800 quid for them before shipping... they sold them when they got them for £1900 air freight would of been under 200 so they made a good 900 quid on them too!!

small items i can get around tax too...