ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Royal Blue Clio Project

So, two years after getting the Clio for my 17th birthday, quite a lot has changed. I'll do my best to post pictures as I go. But for now, ill only be covering the basics of what I have been up to. I only have one picture of my car before it was in my possession, so enjoy it! I also want to say, some of the things I have done to this car over the years, you might think twice about doing yourself, or consider them ricey... But this is my car, so just go with it ;)
IMG_3548.jpg

Fast forward a few months, on the 15th January 2016, the keys were handed to me. And of course, as a 17-year-old with absolutely no car experience, and no drivers license, I went straight into the hard core modding scene. How? With stickers of course.
IMG_0948.png

All jokes aside. 7 weeks later, I passed my test. Now we can get into the fun stuff.
IMG_1322.JPG

So as you can tell from the picture above, the first thing I did was get rid of the shoddy silver hubs. Alloys? Nah, black caps are the way forward. At least for my bank at the time... However, on went the private plates, a must for any modified car in my opinion, and like any lad that had just passed, I insured the little blue wagon and drove straight on down to halfrauds.

As far as modding is concerned, everything is declared, therefore, only basic things have been changed. The first of which, was installing some daytime running lights, after taking inspiration from the newest Clios. I though they worked a treat, nonetheless.
2016-06-21 13.20.56.jpg

Next on the list, was an exhaust, which of course is a must for any petrol loving, teenage hoonigan in a small engined hatchback. So out with the pounds, and in with the noise! Oh, and out with the stickers - nasty things.
IMG_0341.JPG

LEDs. Controversial topic among us car folk. Despite this, £10 for a bunch of LEDs that light up the car like a club, I wasn't about to say no. Despite the odd looks you get in the McDonalds car park, they really add to the aesthetics of the otherwise boring French interior.
IMG_0871.JPG

So the keen eyed among you lot would have also noticed the not so standard speaker cover tucked away in the corner. This was the next thing to I changed. Out with the old, and in with the new. Not knowing anything about car audio, other than the fact that I love bass and loud noises, I pranced into Halfords, and picked up two sets of their "premium" range. Vibe Slick. To this day, one of the best choices I have made, car wise. Recently I also added the FLI 12" 1200w subwoofer, to complete the package.
IMG_0377.JPG

So sound system changed, wheels altered, additional lights installed. Next thing on my list of to do list was a new grille. Although I liked the look of the Sports grille, I wasn't a fan of the black on a dark blue car. However, I loved the contrast of the silver and chrome accents on it. Therefore, a silver grille it was.
IMG_0282.JPG

Now as common sense would tell you, driving with your wipers up, is probably not the smartest idea if you wish to keep them. However, after a wash, and a long journey in the rain later, I found out that my rear wiper blade had come off on the journey. Therefore, the only rational option I was left with was to take it off entirely. Also, excuse the super uncleanliness of the whip.
IMG_0755.JPG

As far as Clios go, they aren't exactly the most aggressive looking cars on the planet. However, this didn't stop me trying to make it look a little less bubbly. So I went to the world of eBay and hunted down this front splitter. On it went, and the results speak for themselves.
IMG_0111.JPG

Looking at the rear of the car, it was a little too bright for my liking. So smoking the lights made their way onto the up next on my to do list.
9E0D48CA-CCFA-4A6F-A19D-999BDD062FBA.jpg

Finally, the winter was over. From the last few pictures, you can see that the cold months of snow and sleet had not been kind to ol' Frenchy. So some paint correction was in order. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I don't think this turned out too badly.
IMG_3463.jpg

Wind deflectors and window tint also got done, the whole car was slowly starting to come together.
IMG_2949.JPG

Time for some old shoes. Now alloys are something that my car has lacked throughout its life. Until now. Only standard Clio ones. However, tonnes better than hub caps.
IMG_2951.JPG

IMG_3877.JPG

The next few changes were not so exciting. Although they were definitely necessary. 182 spoiler, metal pedals, and an OMP wheel.
EA2D2D98-FF84-40F4-9FB4-E46D77DD6A90.jpg

Here comes the big one. Lowering time. No more monster truck-Clio. (Front is lower, although was parked on the curb, so it looks high).
IMG_0040.JPG

More colour work was the next joby on the list. The black trim really wasn't working for me. So colour coded panels were the next thing to do. Oh, and HIDs were installed a while ago. However, I dont have any pictures of this happening.
IMG_0261.JPG

And that brings us up to date with everything that i have done with my car, since making it mine. New wheels have arrived, and been painted. Although i also ran out of money, so they will be getting rubber and going on the car this weekend. Finished the weekly wash earlier today. So enjoy these last few pictures before the weekend!
IMG_0363.JPG
IMG_0372.JPG

Reactions: Gus

Jme34

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Looks pretty good mate, particularly with the wheels and lowering.
+1 on the grille, but whatever floats your boat! I like the boot/bumper on the campus too [emoji1303] congrats in general [emoji5]

I like it apart from the front grill mate, dont you fancy a sport grill?

Also remove those drl's.

Tbh mate i haven't even looked at other grilles since I got this one. Saw a 197 yesterday with the vent grills, and i can see why you like them. But they're not for me...

Looks pretty good mate, particularly with the wheels and lowering.
+1 on the grille, but whatever floats your boat! I like the boot/bumper on the campus too [emoji1303] congrats in general [emoji5]
Thanks dude! Definitely looking at getting a 182 bumper for the front, love the look of it from head on. But i agree with the rear, i much prefer the smoothed boot, and plate in the bumper...

RB Clio 182
Tbh mate i haven't even looked at other grilles since I got this one. Saw a 197 yesterday with the vent grills, and i can see why you like them. But they're not for me...
This is a 182 grill, they do look better in all honesty but each to their own if you like the silver chicken wire.

IMG_0045.JPG

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Aye. Bloody loved that car back in the day. Nothing beats your first car. Well maybe.

CFAB

ClioSport Trader
  Cliosport 182 ff
First car check list is complete on this one and rather quickly, nice work fella.

Sport bumper and grill for sure though, even paint the sport grill perhaps?

First car check list is complete on this one and rather quickly, nice work fella.

Sport bumper and grill for sure though, even paint the sport grill perhaps?
Sports bumper is something that I'm definitely looking into. Its not the buying it that's going to be the costly part. Respraying it my colour, as they don't make one in "royal blue" is going to be the expensive part. I could try and do it myself, which I'm pretty confident in doing; although I don't want to use rattle cans, so finding a gun would be the hard part... Local body work garage wants £350... haven't phoned around so I don't know if that's a good deal or not... Regarding spraying the grill... That is a possibility, definitely.

Yep...

However a full sport kit these days are penny's to get hold of. Some people breaking cars end up almost giving them away for next to nothing. Like @Tony.C for example with his Cup.
i'll definitely have to keep an eye out for them then... seen some bumpers on eBay for around the £100 mark... So ill have to keep an eye out for them if they're being broken... Cheers dude

So as said the other day, new wheels are here... Completely transforms the look of the car... Looks like a proper little hot hatch when it's on the road.
File_002.jpeg

Aye. Bloody loved that car back in the day. Nothing beats your first car. Well maybe.
Well, mine was a cup, so nothing beat that for me!

Personally I would put the car back to standard, drive it like any teenager with their first car and save up for a sport to enjoy when you're ready, hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Well, mine was a cup, so nothing beat that for me!

Personally I would put the car back to standard, drive it like any teenager with their first car and save up for a sport to enjoy when you're ready, hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Na, don't wanna put it back to standard at all ;) But i drive it like a teenager anyway... so there's that... I would love a 182 or cup, but the insurance is so DAMN EXPENSIVE

Na, don't wanna put it back to standard at all :wink: But i drive it like a teenager anyway... so there's that... I would love a 182 or cup, but the insurance is so DAMN EXPENSIVE
Funny how that works, it was cheaper for me to insure a 172 cup than any 1.0 all the way up to 2.0, so it was cheaper for me to get one as a first car. Yes I drove like a t**t a few times, and I literally mean a few times, jumping in something that powerful as a first car can scare you pretty easily. Luckily I learned to call it a day and drive sensibly quite quickly, no matter how tempting it is to put riced up sh*tboxes in their place. 😂

RB Clio 182
Off topic but what size is your front plate? 90mm?
Im not 100% mate but i went a few mm larger than what people tend to go for and it fits the recess perfectly, i think it might be 90mm mate, i cant remember if its in my progress thread.

Ill double check when im home buddy.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Im not 100% mate but i went a few mm larger than what people tend to go for and it fits the recess perfectly, i think it might be 90mm mate, i cant remember if its in my progress thread.

Ill double check when im home buddy.

It is indeed 90mm, just searched your thread :)

BEHOLD THE 1200cc FURY!

So after 9 years of being on the road; 6 of which have been driven by my family and myself. I thought an engine clean was in order. Spent the best part of a couple hours doing this today, as 125,000 miles without a decrease seems a bit excessive. Also, ignore the f**k-off big intake, was ONLY for the sound, it doesn't really do a whole lot.

So here we have; before.
IMG_0478.JPG

And after.
IMG_0479.JPG

Clio RS
I also start like this! Baught my first car, spend all my money to it. Go on! Stay at the Clio and become a track enthusiast! Later on you will go for a 172 or other sport. Andy every day it will make you happy!

CFAB

ClioSport Trader
  Cliosport 182 ff
Seems to be a few dead cable ties in that bay son can we attend to those please, and the screw near the battery??? I see there is some touching in to be done on the rusty bolts also...... if we could have that done by end of the week I will be happy then . Good work!

Seems to be a few dead cable ties in that bay son can we attend to those please, and the screw near the battery??? I see there is some touching in to be done on the rusty bolts also...... if we could have that done by end of the week I will be happy then . Good work!
Well looks like i have some amending to do then ;)

I also start like this! Baught my first car, spend all my money to it. Go on! Stay at the Clio and become a track enthusiast! Later on you will go for a 172 or other sport. Andy every day it will make you happy!
I used to kart a lot, at a pretty high level.. So I would love to turn this into a track car. Got my first track day on the 1st of October :D

Starting to struggle for things to do to the lil' smurf as of now... I start uni in two weeks so that's where all my money will be going; unfortunately... Any suggestions??
DSC_0547h.jpg

Renault Clio Mk2
Hiya mate, I'm 17 and my first car is also a clio in royal blue. Just wondering where you got that rear bumper from? Is it the one from the Mk3? Also the royal blue body panels, wing mirrors and door handles. I just have the grey plastic stuff that looks awful and I can't find the painted parts anywhere? Your car looks awesome dude and I hope Uni is going alright for ya ;)

Clio MK2 ph3 1.6
The bumper and new style boot was the Phase 4 Variant of the mk2 2006 '56'-'58' reg although the mk3 came about 2005 '55' reg

Renault Clio Mk2
The bumper and new style boot was the Phase 4 Variant of the mk2 2006 '56'-'58' reg although the mk3 came about 2005 '55' reg
Hey that really helps, I had no idea about phase 3&4. Still rly difficult to find parts for royal blue though, I feel like it's quite a rare colour among clios.