ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My RS2'd RB van

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Add a Yanoo kit to the scenic one though and your moving in the right direction.

Yes, thats exactly what my longer term plan is funnily enough mate!

Ive got a williams yanoo kit I might see if I can use some of as I know its a bit different to the 172, if not will ask him if he does one that will suit the scenic.

172 Ph1
Yeah its a nice option if you want it to still look factory.

The pure one removes more play though.

Granted the Pure shift lever is an awesome looking bit of kit and tightens it up - I don't want the rattling to be honest .
Have you this fitted in the RB182 ?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Granted the Pure shift lever is an awesome looking bit of kit and tightens it up - I don't want the rattling to be honest .
Have you this fitted in the RB182 ?

Yes mate its in the RB.

Lesley says its a lot less play than the RB one did originally, but I dont know how much of that is just down to a different amount of wear on this versus the RB one. (she drives it more often than me so her opinion is more accurate, lol)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yes, thats exactly what my longer term plan is funnily enough mate!

Ive got a williams yanoo kit I might see if I can use some of as I know its a bit different to the 172, if not will ask him if he does one that will suit the scenic.
Sounds like a plan then mate. I've already got the Yanoo kit in the cup and really rate it tbh. I'm not sure that I'd swap to the pure shifter unless it really did feel substantially different/better

172 Ph1
Sounds like a plan then mate. I've already got the Yanoo kit in the cup and really rate it tbh. I'm not sure that I'd swap to the pure shifter unless it really did feel substantially different/better

All I have is the short shifter at the gearbox end along with a new bush .
Do you get more parts with the Yanoo kit

172 Ph1
Mark/@northloopcup, this is the scenic shifter mod I was on about by the way:

E3E7A41F-144E-411A-8D7B-CA6002D619D3-184-0000001512BCFE23_zps569f968b.jpg

Sits the lever a little higher up. (level with head unit basically) So less distance to go to and from the wheel.

What scenic was the shifter out of Chip ?
I got me a chance to get one out of a 52 plate phase 2 scenic . Hope it's the same

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Don't know exact details mate. Just grabbed one off ebay with same style too as a 182 so we could swap the diagram bit on the top over to keep it original. Some were a different style.

172 Ph1
Chip-mk1 , look what I stumbled across in the car I had in the garage . Boot was full of bits . Is this the same length stick as yours - pardon the pun.

agazaqa4.jpg

And is this this the Knob you have ?
Pardon the Pun again this is getting a bit to saucy on here lol.

2e8e8aty.jpg

172 Ph1
Cheers Lesley .
I'll get fitting that over winter as it will be off the road for a bit while I send my hubs away for the Roll steer bump correction kit to be machined and fitted .
Thanks for your reply .

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Just read through the thread, I really like the idea of a "comfy track car" its kinda what I have been trying to do with mine money permitting will be watching closely.

Would you say the Pure linkage merits the extra cost as I really like the scenic idea. The gear changes are really letting me down in mine I used to be able to rattle through them in my old pug but I find the clio's abit of a pain.

A

Few more thing to update

Did a track day in Croft - think its one of my fave tracks, loved it!

Did the renault sport track day evening at Bedford

14593461400_41cccccdfe_c.jpg
Bedford Reanult Sport evening by lesley2337, on Flickr

14779829262_2438fdb2df_c.jpg

14777022111_3c0913ff91_c.jpg

14593674217_bb15cd2e03_c.jpg

14593508619_610cba046e_c.jpg

14593461200_03e1316557_c.jpg

14591753868_d2191d5096_c.jpg
waiting to leave by lesley2337, on Flickr

14755397406_e540a262e9_c.jpg
Bedford Renault Sport track day - FLIES by lesley2337, on Flickr

Fitted a new Pioneer stereo so i can play my tunes through it as the original one gave up on me

along with a scenic gear shifter, which is longer

14755396136_3967e17930_c.jpg
new gear lever by lesley2337, on Flickr

fitted the Turnins back on to the car as she's been sat on the OZ F1 track wheels for ages now

14776043434_d0158e2737_c.jpg
Turinis back on by lesley2337, on Flickr

14755392946_87606548fe_c.jpg
car park by lesley2337, on Flickr

You can really see the colour difference in the last 2 pictures!

Other things done include:

new cup splitter
kw coilovers on the front
spacer and camber shims for the back

needs a new gear gaiter as the clips on mine have broken, and had been glued in by the previous owner
polish the headlights again!
just ordered new cup rear shocks for the back

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just read through the thread, I really like the idea of a "comfy track car" its kinda what I have been trying to do with mine money permitting will be watching closely.

Would you say the Pure linkage merits the extra cost as I really like the scenic idea. The gear changes are really letting me down in mine I used to be able to rattle through them in my old pug but I find the clio's abit of a pain.

A

Pure one slightly nicer on track but feels a lot less OEM on the road.
in our case the scenic one has removed loads of play. Feels much better but I think we got lucky with a nearly new one so others might be nowhere near as good.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Minor update and bit of a lame one with no pictures.

Me and Lesley went down to somerset last weekend, and decided that on the way we would stop off with Mike@MWM for him to retime the cams as he has been experimenting with 438 cams quite a bit lately and was very confident he could see some decent improvements on the car.
At first I wasnt going to bother as the engine in it is only there short term until I build a proper one as its a bit tired and breathes a lot etc so is never going to set the world alight, but as I have been in two minds for the cam spec on the new engine (have really felt the 438s just dont work properly with the RS2) I am building it seemed worth a go just to convince myself if these are the right cams for what we want or not.

As seems to be usual with my life of late, we were on a bit of a rushed schedule, which presented me with a problem with regards to mapping it as since we moved I no longer have access to any equipment with which to map the standard ECU and it was too much of a flying visit to do it at mikes, and we didnt want to be spending our whole holiday with the car running rough (which I knew it would after the cams retime until it was mapped) so what we did instead was get the cam timing done at mikes, then head down to somerset the next day and while I was working remotely (couldnt get the day completely off work) Lesley took the car round to Dan@SJM and he made a decent start on mapping it for us.
After this mapping session the car was going much better, in fact enough so that it has certainly convinced me that the cams on the new timing figures are a sensible option for the new engine I am building but time was against Dan (he'd squeezed the car in among his other work as a massive favour but couldnt carry on late as we were all off to a clio meet in exeter that evening) so although it was now going a lot better, it wasnt quite finished, but at least was ok to drive about in for the rest of our short visit to the southwest.
Then on the way back up we managed to go via Mike's again for me and him to finish the mapping so it finally ended up finished :cool:

Really cant thank Mike@MWM and Dan@SJM enough, it was all massively last minute me deciding to do this and they were just epic at both managing to squeeze us in and in doing an awesome job :D

So glad we have this car, it has been such an epic little faithful friend, I'm using it for work at the moment then Lesley will be doing so next week then next stop is Goodwood on the 23rd for the OrigineRS show where I have booked onto track as well, and then a few days later we are off to the Nurburgring for a few days. :race:

Then not really sure whats happening after that with it, just going back to being a daily again for a while and not see any more modifications for a bit I suspect as I need to get back to working on the turbo and the mk1 really this winter so not sure if I will have time to sort out the new engine for this one or not (needs different driveshafts making and a few other bits like hydraulic clutch conversion and swapping to cable gear linkage etc so wont be a quick job) but on the other hand you can tell from the fact its using a bit of oil that its not going to carry on forever with the pasting the poor thing is getting on track at the moment while the other cars are off the road so I cant leave it forever!

bozothenutter

ClioSport Club Member
as a RS2 owner i'm interested.

was non standard timing used on 438's?
what were the effects on power and torque?

Minor update and bit of a lame one with no pictures.

Me and Lesley went down to somerset last weekend, and decided that on the way we would stop off with Mike@MWM for him to retime the cams as he has been experimenting with 438 cams quite a bit lately and was very confident he could see some decent improvements on the car.
At first I wasnt going to bother as the engine in it is only there short term until I build a proper one as its a bit tired and breathes a lot etc so is never going to set the world alight, but as I have been in two minds for the cam spec on the new engine (have really felt the 438s just dont work properly with the RS2) I am building it seemed worth a go just to convince myself if these are the right cams for what we want or not.

As seems to be usual with my life of late, we were on a bit of a rushed schedule, which presented me with a problem with regards to mapping it as since we moved I no longer have access to any equipment with which to map the standard ECU and it was too much of a flying visit to do it at mikes, and we didnt want to be spending our whole holiday with the car running rough (which I knew it would after the cams retime until it was mapped) so what we did instead was get the cam timing done at mikes, then head down to somerset the next day and while I was working remotely (couldnt get the day completely off work) Lesley took the car round to Dan@SJM and he made a decent start on mapping it for us.
After this mapping session the car was going much better, in fact enough so that it has certainly convinced me that the cams on the new timing figures are a sensible option for the new engine I am building but time was against Dan (he'd squeezed the car in among his other work as a massive favour but couldnt carry on late as we were all off to a clio meet in exeter that evening) so although it was now going a lot better, it wasnt quite finished, but at least was ok to drive about in for the rest of our short visit to the southwest.
Then on the way back up we managed to go via Mike's again for me and him to finish the mapping so it finally ended up finished :cool:

Really cant thank Mike@MWM and @Dan@SJM enough, it was all massively last minute me deciding to do this and they were just epic at both managing to squeeze us in and in doing an awesome job :D

So glad we have this car, it has been such an epic little faithful friend, I'm using it for work at the moment then Lesley will be doing so next week then next stop is Goodwood on the 23rd for the OrigineRS show where I have booked onto track as well, and then a few days later we are off to the Nurburgring for a few days. :race:

Then not really sure whats happening after that with it, just going back to being a daily again for a while and not see any more modifications for a bit I suspect as I need to get back to working on the turbo and the mk1 really this winter so not sure if I will have time to sort out the new engine for this one or not (needs different driveshafts making and a few other bits like hydraulic clutch conversion and swapping to cable gear linkage etc so wont be a quick job) but on the other hand you can tell from the fact its using a bit of oil that its not going to carry on forever with the pasting the poor thing is getting on track at the moment while the other cars are off the road so I cant leave it forever!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
as a RS2 owner i'm interested.

was non standard timing used on 438's?
what were the effects on power and torque?

Yes the cams are now not timed as per standard anymore.
I havent had it on a rolling road, all the mapping we did was on the road, so I can only tell you that it pulls better, I cant quantify it sorry (its not just a placebo effect though as it got leaner all the way from 5K-7500 and needed more fuel adding back into the map to get the fuelling back to where it should be, so its definately worked).

The difference over standard cams retimed by Mike is pretty marginal though IMHO, I am not sure I would go out and buy the cams again for the small difference that it makes compared to standard ones retimed (ive driven a couple of the other cars he has mapped on that setup), its a little better at the very top of the rev range but standards retimed are at least as good everywhere else, I guess if you are doing the belts anyway though even a marginal gain then becomes better value.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lovely looking car. Your quite handy chip!

I do my best mate :)

next mod will be the rollcentre correction hubs and then longer term I've just started mocking up the new engine and box I'm going to use to convert the 182 hopefully.

302C2B3A-9D4D-413F-A00D-C9BD72C6DB38-604-000000BC2C5547EC_zps9a2f320f.jpg

197 engine but will swap to a 182 head and the rs2 inlet with 6 speed cable change 197 box.

very much a background project though so won't be any time soon.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Interesting would you not get the same sort of power just using the standard 197 head and inlet over the rs2 ?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Interesting would you not get the same sort of power just using the standard 197 head and inlet over the rs2 ?

Probably not dissimilar for peak power, but not quite the same power delivery (197 inlet is quite flat at lower RPM IME) the RS2 is also lighter and more importantly than any of that the mrs likes the look of it and wants to keep it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Also, isn't the 197 box meant to be sh*te?

If you mash through the gears too quickly they can have synchro issues, but TBH if treated with a bit of mechanical sympathy I know plenty of people who have got really decent mileages out of them.
And lets face it the 182 box isnt exactly great either!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Video from origineRS on sat.

[video=youtube_share;_PtJEB4g2Js]http://youtu.be/_PtJEB4g2Js[/video]

Couple of suspension tweaks today.

Whiteline RARB

4617ADC5-85F6-43B6-8EC1-0026B9E174E7-327-0000002EECBF9EBF_zps45bde5fe.jpg

Roll centre correction hubs

D3C24030-3CA6-4CF4-A719-E882D54EFDF6-327-0000002EF8BCF684_zps8bd3f8c5.jpg

EEC0DAE3-F94C-4454-B92D-6D0D267A06BC-327-0000002EF204F25F_zps0a853101.jpg