ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Skoda. Probably my favourite car for a long time!

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Looks like I'll have to look at remapping my Passat as well then! Generic tuning box or take it somewhere? Not clued up on diesels...

A propper remap is always better than a tuning box. Also take it to a remapper with a good rep with these cars, as a lot just map them to throw more fuel in and it results in lots of black smoke on acceleration.

Mini Cooper S
Great cars! Mines for sale though as I've bought a crv. Special edition on in blue only wanting £3500 (sorry didn't mean to turn it into a advert!)

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
How did they perform dan.. really thinking.of one. Comparing to a 182
Well mine was the same engine but in the Seat Ibiza Mk4.
Economy is just brutal, I used to commute to uni and got pissed off when I came into the lecture and hadn't achieved over 70mpg avg.

With careful throttle inputs is so easy to get amazing economy, it just didn't handle very well at all. There was no feedback at all - I did make the steering heavier by programming VCDS though which is cool.

I once drove to Newcastle via some country roads and I didn't enjoy myself one bit as it was just point and shoot. Slowing down for corners so much. Infact it's what made me get my 182, I came away from that journey wanting something else.

But as a cruiser and a general a to b car its fantastic. The seat ibizas are pretty much the same car you just don't pay the VAG tax so works out a lot lot cheaper.

Well mine was the same engine but in the Seat Ibiza Mk4.
Economy is just brutal, I used to commute to uni and got pissed off when I came into the lecture and hadn't achieved over 70mpg avg.

With careful throttle inputs is so easy to get amazing economy, it just didn't handle very well at all. There was no feedback at all - I did make the steering heavier by programming VCDS though which is cool.

I once drove to Newcastle via some country roads and I didn't enjoy myself one bit as it was just point and shoot. Slowing down for corners so much. Infact it's what made me get my 182, I came away from that journey wanting something else.

But as a cruiser and a general a to b car its fantastic. The seat ibizas are pretty much the same car you just don't pay the VAG tax so works out a lot lot cheaper.

And performance?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Don't some places remap these to around 190bhp? I've thought about getting one of these a few times.

I've been wondering if selling my Jetta is a good idea having had the 182 for a couple of weeks now. It's so easy to drive and much more comfortable.
With the Hybrid turbo, it's also a fair bit quicker once off the line...... I do love the noise though of the 182 (JMS RS2), that is the biggest downside really.
If anyone is interested in what these cars can do, take a look at darkside developments, they do turbo upgrade packages that'll take the power to over 300bhp.

I've been thinking about getting an Audi A5 3.0TDi next, aftermarket exhaust sounds amazing on these (not diesel like at all), and a remap will take them to around 290bhp.

The best thing about that is the effortless engine. The rest of what surrounds it is the let-down.

If I sat at 80mph on the motorway, every day of my working life - I'd probably agree. Anything resembling an A-road, B-road, or a modicum of a bend - give me the 182 instead. I'm assuming the 3.0TDi in that is also Quattro spec? You'll need it. The FWD A5s we've had here are horrendous on traction - and that's with decent rubber on. The last blat I had coming down the A701 towards Moffat, yet again confirmed that. Following a local (he clearly knew the road well!) in his Octavia estate was a challenge. I wouldn't be surprised if he was having more fun too - the A5 just fed back zero confidence into what was happening beneath it.

Rear seats in the 3 door version as well are pointless. I've felt more comfortable at 6' 1" being sat in the rear of a 911.

If you're absolutely desperate to get an Audi of that size - stick with an A4 or pump up the extra for an A6. Or better still...... keep the money and stick with the 182.

There. that's my good deed for the day. I've stopped you wasting a good chunk of cash. ;)

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Marmite looks, but I've grown to like them. A mate has a highly tuned one, hybrid turbo.

Standard, they really don't go like stink, lol. If yours does, it's not standard.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
The best thing about that is the effortless engine. The rest of what surrounds it is the let-down.

If I sat at 80mph on the motorway, every day of my working life - I'd probably agree. Anything resembling an A-road, B-road, or a modicum of a bend - give me the 182 instead. I'm assuming the 3.0TDi in that is also Quattro spec? You'll need it. The FWD A5s we've had here are horrendous on traction - and that's with decent rubber on. The last blat I had coming down the A701 towards Moffat, yet again confirmed that. Following a local (he clearly knew the road well!) in his Octavia estate was a challenge. I wouldn't be surprised if he was having more fun too - the A5 just fed back zero confidence into what was happening beneath it.

Rear seats in the 3 door version as well are pointless. I've felt more comfortable at 6' 1" being sat in the rear of a 911.

If you're absolutely desperate to get an Audi of that size - stick with an A4 or pump up the extra for an A6. Or better still...... keep the money and stick with the 182.

There. that's my good deed for the day. I've stopped you wasting a good chunk of cash. :wink:

I know, i know.... but i'm still being drawn.

I'd hopefully be keeping the clio too, but the Audi would be for business use mainly. So more comfortable and professional looking, and i've got a suitable family car already, so it would just be me 99% of the time.

Yep, quattro as standard in 3.0TDi, 240bhp standard and does 0-60 in under 6 seconds, with 290bhp, should be around 5 seconds with the quattro helping. I know the BMW is a better drive, but they don't sound nice at all....... May end up with a petrol engine bmw or something though, as i've always fancied a 330 couple or a Z4 too.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I know, i know.... but i'm still being drawn.

I'd hopefully be keeping the clio too, but the Audi would be for business use mainly. So more comfortable and professional looking, and i've got a suitable family car already, so it would just be me 99% of the time.

Yep, quattro as standard in 3.0TDi, 240bhp standard and does 0-60 in under 6 seconds, with 290bhp, should be around 5 seconds with the quattro helping. I know the BMW is a better drive, but they don't sound nice at all....... May end up with a petrol engine bmw or something though, as i've always fancied a 330 couple or a Z4 too.
Purely on acoustics, the neighbour upstairs has an S5 parked below our window. Not sure if the exhaust is aftermarket, but it makes a great noise. Subtle, but loud and deep. Compare that to the other V8 Jag in the car park that is just loud and actually sounds a bit chavvy

Swift Sport
I can't let myself like them, so maybe I need to drive one and see what the fuss is all about... A German diesel 5dr hatchback that's quick and fun? Surely not!?

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
2nd hand turbo to get rid of the s**t kkk version of the GT1749VA and change of intake to PD150 or PD160 will see 190+ after a map. Original clutch won't last longer than that.

Hybrid turbo, fmic, egr delete, solid pipes and a map will see 220-230. Solid flywheel needed.

All of above plus injectors and straight through exhaust will see 250-260 (my Toledo has this spec)

Above but with 2260 turbo and some head work will see 280-300.

Such good engines!

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I can't let myself like them, so maybe I need to drive one and see what the fuss is all about... A German diesel 5dr hatchback that's quick and fun? Surely not!?

I don't actually fine mine that 'fun' to drive, sure it's fairly quick ( 99% sure the previous owner remapped it) and great for motorway miles etc, but I have/ never would just take it out for a B road blast.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I don't actually fine mine that 'fun' to drive, sure it's fairly quick ( 99% sure the previous owner remapped it) and great for motorway miles etc, but I have/ never would just take it out for a B road blast.
This. Decent amount of grip, but not fun imo. Great daily.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I like the look of them albeit not in black as mentioned, blue would be better.

I'd happily have one as a daily but wouldn't spend more than a grand or so. The low end car market seems to have gone to s**t in the last few years. I blame that stupid scrappage scheme they came up with.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
I had one years ago, 246bhp, 4 pots, arbs, coilovers, factory leather etc.

Was great, clutch was upgraded l, it was the box that kept letting me down, went through two in a year.

I have to agree with quite a few of the comments. My wife has had one for a few months its in silver and is totally standard apart from a set of Eibachs on it. The car has a way of getting under your skin. The seats are incredibly comfy and the fit and finish is just great. Its a lovely place to sit and then you see the MPG its getting and its just nuts. I have no plans for the next few years to replace it as it seems to cover so many bases.

I like these aswell.

BUT,,,,

For the same money you can have a ibiza Cupra tdi.
Which has 160 bhp out the box, shorter final drive, a bigger turbo good for 200bhp and ap 4 pot breaks. Plus a black interior, which for me is essential as I'm a messy sod

Run a mapped leon cupra TDI 150 as my Mrs Dailey, sits all over my mates fiesta at 180.

RB Clio 182
I like these aswell.

BUT,,,,

Which has 160 bhp out the box, shorter final drive, a bigger turbo good for 200bhp and ap 4 pot breaks. Plus a black interior, which for me is essential as I'm a messy sod

Run a mapped leon cupra TDI 150 as my Mrs Dailey, sits all over my mates fiesta at 180.

Is the build quality as good tho?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I appreciate styling is entirely subjective, and the Skoda isn't exactly a beauty queen... But the Ibiza's are minging. No ta.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I like these aswell.

BUT,,,,

180 what?

Sorry. New fiesta St, 180 bhp one.

And yes the build quality is fine. My Leon's held together as well as my audi. Few squeaks out of the dash if I had to pick.

Also agree with the comments. My leon very planted but ultimately quite boring. Can return a very good pace and maintain a 35+ mpg figure.

I'd quite happily do a day at Combe in it. If any thing the lack of revs would make me want to try harder to carry speed.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
The PD130 is always considered stronger than the 150 (Cams I believe). Had the PD130 on my old Bora and it took a lot of abuse! Could see over 60mpg without too much effort! NEVER saw below 50. Never bothered remapping it, they have a lot of low down grunt. Mine had about 130k on it and was pretty much like new other than the DMF starting to rattle, but not too bad really.

GTD, Lupo

It was quicker than my 200... 😊

Evo 5 RS
These are definitely on the cool wall. Mate of mine had one whilst I had my Clio, and it did fairly well considering. (Considering my 172 was north of 200bhp/180ftlbs and stripped)

It was mapped, though.