ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My TT QS

Range Rover Sport
I'm not keen on the black wheels although I do admit they work well.

The exhaust makes the rear look more "mean" and aggressive which is a plus in my eyes.

Thought as much. I think I want them but not sure they'd work on the S3. Keep getting tempted to mod it - lower, wider, wheels etc but think, with this new job, I'm going to do it "properly" and buy a Porsche...

Range Rover Sport
Thought as much. I think I want them but not sure they'd work on the S3. Keep getting tempted to mod it - lower, wider, wheels etc but think, with this new job, I'm going to do it "properly" and buy a Porsche...

That really isn't properly mate lol.

That really isn't properly mate lol.

Lower wider and quicker than my current S3? I'd say it is but feel free to suggest otherwise!

Getting out of the constant modding. With the amount of Clio parts I bought, I was half way to the S3. Start spending on the S3 (£1400 for suspension at least, new wheels and tyres about the same etc etc) and I've got the money for a Boxster...

Range Rover Sport
Lower wider and quicker than my current S3? I'd say it is but feel free to suggest otherwise!

Getting out of the constant modding. With the amount of Clio parts I bought, I was half way to the S3. Start spending on the S3 (£1400 for suspension at least, new wheels and tyres about the same etc etc) and I've got the money for a Boxster...

Owning a 997 2S I'd say a good driver in a S3 wouldn't be far behind.

Although mine isn't manual and isn't used as a fun car however unless you're driving to the limits they feel heavy and bulky.

I'm guessing if it was a manual you'd have much more fun though. The Boxster S is a nice car however I wouldn't have thought it was much quicker than a S3 in any form...

Owning a 997 2S I'd say a good driver in a S3 wouldn't be far behind.

Although mine isn't manual and isn't used as a fun car however unless you're driving to the limits they feel heavy and bulky.

I'm guessing if it was a manual you'd have much more fun though. The Boxster S is a nice car however I wouldn't have thought it was much quicker than a S3 in any form...

Hmm, I'm pretty surprised at that chap. I love my S3 (8l which is perhaps where the confusion stems from) to pieces but it understeers worse than the Titanic, regardless of the added power. I have two options; correct that with a lot of money and also go for looks (new wheels and tyres) or go for a better all round car without a roof. I'm no roundabout lunatic, but the Porsche will offer me a heck of a lot more as a car for the miles I now do (3k a year).

Range Rover Sport
Hmm, I'm pretty surprised at that chap. I love my S3 (8l which is perhaps where the confusion stems from) to pieces but it understeers worse than the Titanic, regardless of the added power. I have two options; correct that with a lot of money and also go for looks (new wheels and tyres) or go for a better all round car without a roof. I'm no roundabout lunatic, but the Porsche will offer me a heck of a lot more as a car for the miles I now do (3k a year).

Going slightly off OP's topic sorry.

Yes sorry I thought it was the newer S3, yes the 8L would need to be heavily mapped along with other things in all honest.

However, don't think because it's a Porsche they ( brand ) are head and shoulders above the rest. There are times I get in the 997 and miss my previous E46 M3.

The boxster is a 'nice' all round car but does nothing exceptionally well if that makes sense. I think you'd have much more enjoyment from an older 996 than you would a boxster however a nice 996 are becoming harder to find as there are a lot of 'not nice' ones out there now.

Going back on topic, maybe a look into the TT QS / Honda S2K would be as they maybe not a nice 'all rounder' but do things exceptionally well. No matter what book figure says a S2K is as quick as a Boxster S.

Back on topic like I say I do like the look of the larger exhausts.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
^
You crack on son..

Its a tough one. These 1.8T's are so quick in a straight line and quick to boost (once mapped etc) other "quick" cars start to feel tame. Like the 330i I drove the other week felt like I was driving through custard. A Boxter S has many many advantages over a S3 but not many of them will you be able to make use of day to day. Other than roof down posing in the summer sun going to the pub..how good would that be?!

Going slightly off OP's topic sorry.

Yes sorry I thought it was the newer S3, yes the 8L would need to be heavily mapped along with other things in all honest.

However, don't think because it's a Porsche they ( brand ) are head and shoulders above the rest. There are times I get in the 997 and miss my previous E46 M3.

The boxster is a 'nice' all round car but does nothing exceptionally well if that makes sense. I think you'd have much more enjoyment from an older 996 than you would a boxster however a nice 996 are becoming harder to find as there are a lot of 'not nice' ones out there now.

Going back on topic, maybe a look into the TT QS / Honda S2K would be as they maybe not a nice 'all rounder' but do things exceptionally well. No matter what book figure says a S2K is as quick as a Boxster S.

Back on topic like I say I do like the look of the larger exhausts.

Yeah that's my fault for not stating the 8L bit earlier.

To be honest, the last bit of Tom's post is what I'm going for tbh. I drive with the windows down most of the time, unless raining. The only thing that stopped me recently was Quattro in the Lakes being very useful due to flooding and poor weather, but I no longer drive up there, I get the train to M+Ds and borrow one of the (now 4!) Quattro/All tracks.

TTQS doesn't offer the "Summer time loving" aspect and I basically have it in hatchback form (and I prefer the looks of the S3). Currently sits around the 280mark (shush TomSx ;) ) so fine in a straight line. Quicker than an S2000 currently as well. But there is no way a BoxterS is slower than an S2000?!

^
You crack on son..

Its a tough one. These 1.8T's are so quick in a straight line and quick to boost (once mapped etc) other "quick" cars start to feel tame. Like the 330i I drove the other week felt like I was driving through custard. A Boxter S has many many advantages over a S3 but not many of them will you be able to make use of day to day. Other than roof down posing in the summer sun going to the pub..how good would that be?!

Range Rover Sport
I GUARENTEE a S2K is as quick as a Boxster S when driven correctly.

Owned both and the Boxster S isn't as quick as you'd expect or magazine books have you believe. ( Although the Boxster S was W-Reg and the S2K was an 08 so hardly apples for apples ).

Don't even consider the 2.5 which I think was superseded by the 2.7 anyway... All have different taste though!

I GUARENTEE a S2K is as quick as a Boxster S when driven correctly.

Owned both and the Boxster S isn't as quick as you'd expect or magazine books have you believe. ( Although the Boxster S was W-Reg and the S2K was an 08 so hardly apples for apples ).

Don't even consider the 2.5 which I think was superseded by the 2.7 anyway... All have different taste though!

Nope, hence the S! And unfortunately, I'm more of a straight line power sorta person. I very rarely B road blast (mainly because I live in London!), so a decent power, noisey softtop is really all I'm after. Z4MR is another consideration.

Sorry TomSx, back OT! Going to Ant's this weekend to fit 4 pots, new OEM DV, N249 delete and a few things like fuel/pollen filter. Should be fun :)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Lol doesn't bother me gents.

Ah so mods are still happening in the mean time? ;) I want 4 pots and tempted to do the N249 delete. Where is the unit?

Lol doesn't bother me gents.

Ah so mods are still happening in the mean time? ;) I want 4 pots and tempted to do the N249 delete. Where is the unit?

Yeah, see that's the thing. Kicked myself the other day for buying them (close to a grand in the end) when that was three payments on the Golf R lease or a chunk towards a new car... Tillbury, fella - church road or something I think!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Ah yeah that would be 3 hours from me. :(

Would to be good to see where a load of my shipments sail from though! lol

It may well be a couple of R payments but you wouldn't own it..;)

Clio 172
Huge soft spot for the TT QS. Just sold my TT 225 a week ago and I do miss the sound of that KO4 turbo spooling up. they are lovely motors when they are working and running properly! :) I personally love the black wheels on Avus silver, but then a totally original QS with silver wheels will be worth more to those in the know! Its going to be such a classic car in the future the QS. Cheeky snap of my old 225! ;)

Edit2-1_zps59450a4b.jpg

Jack

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Bloody hell, a new wheel and bent arb? What have you been up too? A new ARB will be cheap enough or get a R32 one on there. Xenons are self levelling unless the little bar on the rear of the car has snapped..

Yeah man, twatted a kerb in November. Just been lazy since!

dy6esu2a.jpg

ze3yhure.jpg

Yes. I'm a bellend. £640 a wheel from Audi, lol. Currently running reps on one side (which are completely the wrong offset and tyre size) and look hideous.

Who mapped yours Tom? I love the way it drives on the QS map, but more power is always tempting.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah man, tw*tted a kerb in November. Just been lazy since!

dy6esu2a.jpg

ze3yhure.jpg

Yes. I'm a bellend. £640 a wheel from Audi, lol. Currently running reps on one side (which are completely the wrong offset and tyre size) and look hideous.

Who mapped yours Tom? I love the way it drives on the QS map, but more power is always tempting.

Ouch! I saw a set of gen wheels go for £600 the other day on ebay! There was also a lad with two fronts for sale on the TT forum not long back as he's gone for 4 rears all round!

Mines just on a Revo map. I had the very same concerns as you. The standard QS map is brilliant compared to the 225 which is something I didn't want to lose. The Revo feels the same tbh just pulls twice as hard.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I love you. Logged into EBay, genuine QS wheel - £250. Bought! Proper result. Just need to get the rear refurbed now and we're done.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I'll stop clogging up Tom's thread with my s**t now, lol! Reps back on EBay, should get my money back.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I love you. Logged into EBay, genuine QS wheel - £250. Bought! Proper result. Just need to get the rear refurbed now and we're done.

Amen my brother. Get her back on the road in its correct state.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Tom, I've just made the mistake of reading this from scratch and you make me want to keep mine. Really is a good example mate.

Quick one, must do mods? :eek:

Tom, I've just made the mistake of reading this from scratch and you make me want to keep mine. Really is a good example mate.

Quick one, must do mods? :eek:

Badger tip and filter and a remap tbh chap. Same with all BAMs!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
A few mods really do make it a different car. As JD said, map, filter and badger 5 tip will see around 285bhp and a much more fun car.

Oh and JD we're actually part of the elite BFV club..;)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
A few mods really do make it a different car. As JD said, map, filter and badger 5 tip will see around 285bhp and a much more fun car.

Oh and JD we're actually part of the elite BFV club..;)

Sold. Cheers chaps. Quick one, v2 or v3 of the tip? And filter recommendations?

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Sold. Cheers chaps. Quick one, v2 or v3 of the tip? And filter recommendations?

I've got the V3. The V2 is best but the difference is very minimal. Maybe 2bhp at a push. Filter wise you want a S2000 filter which fits straight on to our maf.

From a few simple mods the air flow on mine says it should be around 285bhp. Considerably quicker than standard that's for sure. I was playing with a mapped ED30 golf the other day and they were dead even matched.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Tom can that s2000 air filter not just be mounted inside the standard housing. Obviously the standard housing all smoothed and drilled out? It looks awful.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Tom can that s2000 air filter not just be mounted inside the standard housing. Obviously the standard housing all smoothed and drilled out? It looks awful.

The filter is HUGE. Have you seen I've got a black K&N S2000 filter now?

IMG_20140304_122009_zpsf9ggi67o.jpg

Doesn't look anywhere near as bad now imo.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I see jds at the weekend, I'm sure it'll go in the old housing or possibly cutting the bottom of the old housing out. Does look better in black though.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Really?! That's a lot lol

We did RR testing on mine (same air box) vs open cone and standard box drilled and smoothed and there was f**k all difference

Clio 172
I did back to back testing with a WAK box with K&N panel filter vs my open S2000 filter and gained 8 g/s. That's about 10bhp!

That's impressive. What were you using to do the data logging?! LiquidTT, on the rollers or VagCom? I was running the WakBox and pipercross in my 225 because I liked the OEM look and 225bhp was plenty enough for me. I only WakBoxed because I loved the sound of the turbo spool at 3k and wanted to hear it more in the cabin! :)

PS - You also need to clean your plastics in the engine bay and treat the charge pipe and inlet manifold to some de-greaser to get those mucky hand prints off everything!

If you want OEM looks and optimal air flow on the TT either drill the airbox and fit a performance filter (Also know as the WakBox mod on the TTOC) or go for the much more effort path of the MondoBox mod.

http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=282529&hilit=bmc

Looks OEM and sounds like the S2k filter. :)

Jack

It's not for the sound, chap. It's for the flow. B5 TIPs with an open filter see a good 20hp over a "standard" mapped car (so 255-60 versus 275-80).

Really?! That's a lot lol

We did RR testing on mine (same air box) vs open cone and standard box drilled and smoothed and there was f**k all difference

With the larger intake, it makes a hell of a difference fella.

PS - You also need to clean your plastics in the engine bay and treat the charge pipe and inlet manifold to some de-greaser to get those mucky hand prints off everything!

The more the merrier on this as he won't listen to me :)

Clio 172
It's not for the sound, chap. It's for the flow. B5 TIPs with an open filter see a good 20hp over a "standard" mapped car (so 255-60 versus 275-80).

With the larger intake, it makes a hell of a difference fella.

The more the merrier on this as he won't listen to me :)

I know people do it for better flow, But as I said, my reasoning was for more noise more than anything! If I wanted all out performance I would have invested more time in the 225 and got the BAM Badger5 3" tip and removed the airbox for a decent p-flow or similar intake filter, followed by sports cats and a 3" downpipe with a remap. But as I only wanted a bit more noise and was happy with the standard cars performance I just converted my APX tip to a standard BAM tip, got a new DV and N75 valve, Deleted the N249 and then drilled the airbox. Cost a hell of a lot less than going all out and created the nice turbo spool noise in the cabin that wasn't too intrusive that I was after. :)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
That's impressive. What were you using to do the data logging?! LiquidTT, on the rollers or VagCom? I was running the WakBox and pipercross in my 225 because I liked the OEM look and 225bhp was plenty enough for me. I only WakBoxed because I loved the sound of the turbo spool at 3k and wanted to hear it more in the cabin! :)

That was using Dashcommand using a OBD2 dongle. Gives you everything you can get sensor wise from a Vagcom

Screenshot_2014-03-13-12-46-30_zpsma62ntxd.png

Yeah I know it needs a clean. Sadly the polish that wash it don't include it in their £10 wonder wash..lol

Clio 172
That was using Dashcommand using a OBD2 dongle. Gives you everything you can get sensor wise from a Vagcom

Yeah I know it needs a clean. Sadly the polish that wash it don't include it in their £10 wonder wash..lol

I have dashcommand and used it regularly on the 225. Its a decent bit of kit for DataLogging and fault code reading/clearing. Not tried it on the Clio yet though, I need a new Dongle because I lost my last one :(

And wash it yourself! ;) Only takes 20 minuets to have the plastics off and jet wash them off!

Jack

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Fudge me. 285.62 I work that out to be. Not shy. Not shy at all!

Yeah mate she's flying now mate. The above was after having all my PCV system replaced and tested.

I have dashcommand and used it regularly on the 225. Its a decent bit of kit for DataLogging and fault code reading/clearing. Not tried it on the Clio yet though, I need a new Dongle because I lost my last one :(

And wash it yourself! ;) Only takes 20 minuets to have the plastics off and jet wash them off!

Jack

I should really. I might buy one the stainless bling kits they do too.