ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my williams revs up when i stop at lights

when i pull up at some lights or a junction or whatever my williams revs up and down without me even near the accelerator? it only does it sometimes but its rather annoying, people walkin past will think im sitting at lights revving up my motor like a tit!

Anyone know whats goin on?

Trophy

Speedo cable needs replacing!
Or ISCV needs cleaning,
Or the Throttle Potentiometer needs setting up,
Or your accelerator cable is on the way out (fraying and getting stuck).

Mat.

Trophy

ISCV is the Idle Speed Control Valve, sits just in front of the airbox and the chunky pipe leads to it, cost to clean = £0

Speedo cable = about £50

Acc Cable = about £15

Throttle potentiometer = Ask Reno?

Mat.

what about the engine speed sensor ......the little sensor mounted where the g/box mounts the engine ??..........blimey Tiger.....sounds like its knackered mate.......tell yer what...ill do yer a favour & take the williams off yer hands for £50.00 ???.......... (well........its worth a try......you never know...he might fall for it !!)

or it could simply be the little clip on ya accelerator cable catchin on ya airbox. give it a spin to one side. ta daa solved! happened to me a few times

Quote: Originally posted by Fatherted on 23 June 2003

what about the engine speed sensor ......the little sensor mounted where the g/box mounts the engine ??..........blimey Tiger.....sounds like its knackered mate.......tell yer what...ill do yer a favour & take the williams off yer hands for £50.00 ???.......... (well........its worth a try......you never know...he might fall for it !!)

THe ECU gets its speed signal from the speedo dail, hence the speedo cable connection problems.

Bumder With A Buffer

I had the same problem with my valver. it was very intermittent though. but replaced the speedo cable and havent had anymore problems since

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

Sounds like the idle control valve to me !! Mine did it for a while !! I binned it and its been ok since !!

you binned the ICV!??

but it does sound more like the ICV, since the speedo problem would generally make the engine run rough/stall when coasting. if its at a standstill, the ECU is trying to hold a constant idle and the ICV could be broke or sticky.

IT could also be related to your lambda.

CTR EK9 turbo

yeah i had my icv replaced twice under warranty for doing this.........un plug it and give it a blow job and plug her back in, problem solved?

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 23 June 2003

Quote: Originally posted by Fatherted on 23 June 2003

what about the engine speed sensor ......the little sensor mounted where the g/box mounts the engine ??..........blimey Tiger.....sounds like its knackered mate.......tell yer what...ill do yer a favour & take the williams off yer hands for £50.00 ???.......... (well........its worth a try......you snever know...he might fall for it !!)

THe ECU gets its speed signal from the speedo dail, hence the speedo cable connection problems.
so where does the reading for the speed sensor go then ....i know it goes to the control unit (where the coil is) but surley it must end up at the ECU ???? bit of a crude way to get a speed reading...from the speedo ....esp if yer cable snaps !!!!.......does it take it from where the speedo cable joins the g/box ?

thanks ben.......nearly had a williams for £50 till you joined in !!..........he he he !!

the speedo feed is taken from a hall sender on the cable, the sender is just behind the clocks. Its used to inform the ECU that the car is actually moving and its also used to work out mpg, road speed etc for the trip comp (as fitted).

With the engine running get out leaving it in nuetral and pushing the car the engine should rev up to between 1200 and 1500rpm.

The speedo reading doesnt go anywhere near the ignition module, the only signal that goes to and from there is the feed from the CAS, the power to the unit a spur off to the ECU, a feed to the tacho (signal only) and the HT lead down to the dizzy cap.

Anyway the reason for this feed is that when your tanking along then shove the clutch in the engine revs drop and the engine may stall due to the revs dropping to quickly for the ecu to compensate. You may have noticed it with a dodgy cable press the clutch and the revs drop to 600 rpm or something. bWhat shoul happen is the revs will drop then slow around 1500 rpm and gradually come down.

Easy way to see if its a dodgy ICV is to stop at the lights with it revign away then stick it in 1st with your foot on the brake and bring the revs down to where they should sit/slighty under push the clutch in and if the revs shoot back up then up and down again the icv needs a clean. Also check for air leaks into the inlet tract.

My rover used to do that, sometimes if you left it it would rev all the way up to about 5K!! Never sorted it out- just asumed it was an ECU problem. Flogged it to Renault for a top price with absolutely fcuked suspension, 1 key and no stereo/speakers!

Bought a 1.2 16V which was much faster anyway instead hehe

Clio Williams 1, 182,197

When i say i binned it !! I replaced it ! Sorry not making myself clear again am i !! Doh !!

My cousin had the same prob in his Pug 205 gti, it was due to a faulty airflow meter........not that this info would help you with a willy engine:D

Mines doing this at the me, once youve ragged the car it idles around 1.5k, as soon as you turn the car off and start it again, its fine until you rag it. Mine went down for a diagnostic check at Renault and it was found to be the speed sensor.

Scott Wood mine does exactly the same. How did you get it sorted and where is it? Is it the thing that hooks onto to the back of speedo cable behind the clocks? If it is there is going to be some fiddly soldering. Does anyone know where it is and how I can sort it?

i still havnt got a clue where this icv is could someone give me a detailed explanation, i have no idea where everything is, cheers

ok then............you must know where the dip stick is !!!??.....(god i hope so...or this is gonna be a long thread)

well....to the right of the dip stick theres a pipe comming out of the inlet manifold......then to the right of that theres a little round black cylinder with a connection block on the top (cant remember the colour of the connector block...could be yellow/could be green) !!! it has a black rubber shroud over the wires !!! thats yer ICV !!!

let me know if yer still stuck & ill take a pic for yer ....god im nice !!

damianshaker,

I havent got mine fixed yet as i aint had the moeny, i was going to ask on here where abouts it goes when i buy the part. Ill try and find the part no for you tonight.