ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

N/S/F rattle!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
so finally driving my ph1 172 on the road to iron out the kinks!!

and my most pressing issue is a very loud banging coming from the near side front suspension!

first i thought it was the ph1 airbox knocking around as it feels like something loose banging against something! but ive since fixed that down better and its still doing it!

ive tightened the brake callipers, wishbones, ball joints, subframe, lower shock bolts everything i can think of!

it only bangs when going over bumps and resting on the brakes makes no differece so its not pads rattling!

it also doesnt feel like its under any tension, its not so much a bang and a loud couple of knocks after a large bump!

any suggestions people!?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
i really hope not, but i spose its a possiblilty, how would i know if the shocks knacked? its not leaking or anything

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Standard suspension or coilies?

Two things, if it's got tension in it when moving it up/down.

Or, if it's got any wobble in it when you grab it and give it a shake.

Have you 100000% got the top mounts set up properly? Are they standard or uprated? If uprated, which type?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Gaz coilies and pure motorsport topmounts. coilies were second hand though!

i gave it a wobble before and didnt feel any play but ill give it another go some time!

and what do you mean tension in it when moving up and down?!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well the shock should have resistance when moving up and down, it shouldn't be easy as such.

Best way to check, but you've got to really give it some, is jack it up, grab hold of the shock, and shake like f**k.

You may be able to re-create the knocking.

derv biege barge
Worth checking driveshaft too. Mine needs doing and sounds similar to how you described yours.