ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need a TV, 37 or 42 inch though?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Looking at getting a new tv but really can't work out whether to get a 37 or 42 inch one :/

I've looked at the online things that say how far you should be from the tv and it's borderline, I'd say viewing would be about 9 foot away.

Worried that a 42 will just look too big, and if it feels too big to watch it's going to be painful to watch!

Worried a 37 will be disappointing after a while and will wish we'd gone for a 42 :p

Currently rockng a Panasonic 28inch CRT so either would be a nice upgrade.

Is it a case of always get the bigger one as most people I've spoken to or seen post about TVs always get one then wish they had a bigger one :)

What does the voice of CS think, can take a pic of the room (it's only small) if it's really needed.

What do you reckon?

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
hah funnily enough we had a bit of cardboard at work we were using for a template to stick a 42 inch screen on the wall.

Brought it home to stick infrontof our telly to see roughly what it'd be like, other half said yeah that looks alright but no bigger. Measured it and it was actually cut out to 46 inch :p Looked a bit too big though really.

Toyota MR2
50 ftw!! you will never ever be disapointed then.

Pioneer 50'' 1080p = THE GREATEST.

picture is soo immense. Expensive but worth every single penny.

Listen to those who have fallen foul of that bullshit urban myth. Always buy bigger.

Granted, SD material my look s**t but, that's because SD material is s**t.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
pics of room?

i remember when my bro got his new tv. a 42 inch sony a few years ago. he lied ot his missus and got the 42''. i was LOL when the box arrived. she was not impressed.

but then my bro put on a friends dvd and all was forgiven lol ;)

go for the 42 tbh.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Not a great pic, makes the sofa right infront look like it's well close to the TV plus the room looks tiny lol (there's a desk and stuff behind that sofa so it can go back a fair bit if needed).

The tv in the corner as said is 28inch.

And excuse the shiteness that is that bit of the garden :p Weedkiller ftw

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
My old panasonic tv in there :)

I went from one of those to 40" anything smaller looked dwarfed by the room - if your going bigger though make sure you can afford a top spec tv - if you can afford a decent 40" or a semi decent 46" then I'd get the 40" afterall you spend hours looking at the bugger!

100inchlcd.jpg

Tbh.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
My old panasonic tv in there :)

I went from one of those to 40" anything smaller looked dwarfed by the room - if your going bigger though make sure you can afford a top spec tv - if you can afford a decent 40" or a semi decent 46" then I'd get the 40" afterall you spend hours looking at the bugger!

heh my parents old tv :p When we moved in we had a 21inch thing that just looked silly, so my folks went and bought a new tv so we could have this one lol.

Yeah tbh how much it costs isn't really an issue within reason, seen those nice Panasonic G10 plasmas for about £950 with a decent warranty in 42 inch.

Scirocco GT 210
I bought a LCD tv about 18 months ago, at the time I was deciding between a 32" and a 37". I really though the 37" would be too big but I went for it anyway.

If I was to have the choice again I'd have gone even bigger! Would buy a 42" minimum now and this is just for my bedroom. In a room like the one you posted a picture of, I'd be looking for a 50" at least (if it's affordable).

You can never go too big IMO.

A4 Avant
I'd go 42". The price difference is next to nothing and after a while anything smaller shall annoy you and make you wish you'd gone larger. I'd recommend Panasonic, had 2 now and both have been awesome. My old man has the 46" Pioneer that was nearly £400 more than mine, but I can't tell any difference in picture quality.

Unless you have a huge front room i'd never go up to 50", my friend has one picture is great but you have to actually move your head to view the screen from side to side. Not ideal!

I got 42". To start with it seems massive "Wow, look how big my tv is" now I'm just used to it.

I'll get 50" next time.

I'd say 42.

I have a 32 in my bedroom, it would look way too small in a lounge, 37 probably still would tbh.

50" is the bare minimum for my next set. I wish I could turn back time and choose the Pioneer 5090 that I didn't buy because a bunch of f**king assholes told me it would be too big :(

Toyota MR2
my living room is only a little bit bigger than yours. and a 50'' is perfect! mount it on the right wall opposite the sofa. Slap some reclining sofa's in there and you got your own lil cinema. Only way to go :D its like lowering your car. you always want lower.... with tv's you always want bigger :p

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like it'll be a 42inch then :) Now to wait and see what the Panasonic G15 is like when it's out (not sure if it's available yet)

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I have a 32 in my room, im about 3 to 4 metres away from the TV. Bigger is not better, the screen looks crisp, however if i went bigger i fear the picture may suffer.

Edit: I'd also pic LCD over plasma, spesh if you have sky or freeview (My mate has a plasma thing and u can see the sky guide burnt into it, ouch)

Last edited:

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Nah it's definitely going to be one of the new Panasonic plasmas.

My folks have an older one and it's been great, no problems.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I have a 32 in my room, im about 3 to 4 metres away from the TV. Bigger is not better, the screen looks crisp, however if i went bigger i fear the picture may suffer.

Edit: I'd also pic LCD over plasma, spesh if you have sky or freeview (My mate has a plasma thing and u can see the sky guide burnt into it, ouch)

Sounds like they have an older plasma.. new ones don't do that anymore :p

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Been looking at the V10 today, not a bad price in the Panasonic shop with 5 year warranty, need to take the better half to look at it but think that's the one I want.

F56 MINI Cooper S
watever size it will look small after a while lol, got a 50" downstairs and looked huge when it first came in, now i got used to it haha

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Bought a 42 inch V10 and Blu Ray player today (was on offer with the TV), it'll get here as soon as I sort out a stand and work out how to get rid of the old tv.

You'll always want bigger IMO.

I've had 2 x 42", and 2 x 50" (a 50" being current) and I love it.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
42 will be massive if you're keepin it in the corner. Big telly's need to be in big rooms imo. And flush to the wall, not angled.

It shouldn't be the first thing you notice when you walk in!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
As it's sitting further back than before it doesn't seem as imposing as I thought, still looks fecking big though. Not a huge fan of wall mounting, done properly it's good but not got the cash to do a decent job.

It streams stuff from my NAS no problem as well which is really nice.

I like it :)

Last edited:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Get away with it actually. Doesn't look out of place.

Being picy here, could you not get a stand to match the woodgrain of the table...or visa versa...