ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New brakes squealing (Brembo HC & M1144's)

Just had some Brembo HC's and Mintex M1144's fitted and after 200 miles, they are deafening me and pedestrians when I brake from 30MPH. The squeal only really kicks in under 20MPH, and gets progressively louder the longer I keep my foot on the brake. If the cars sat for an hour they won't make a sound for the first 3, maybe 4 stops so it seems to be when they have some warmth in them they like a bit of a sing song.

I've tried bedding them in using the harsh braking technique and letting them cool, and this has done nothing whatsoever to quieten them down. Earlier, I took off the wheels and took the pads out with the intention of putting more copper grease onto them as there was only a very very fine layer. On replacing the pads, I noticed 3 of the pads are a tight fit (need to be gently hammered into place) however the inside pad on the O/S slots in easily, possibly a little too easily? I can't say for sure.

Theres the shims that go on the edges of the pads, but nothing on the back of the pads besides copper grease. I inspected, greased and cleaned the sliders and I'm happy they are not at fault.

I thought when taking it for a test drive after that I had solved it but no... it's back :quiet:

Can anybody shed any light on what it could be?

Cheers.

Lionel Richie
remove the shims = fixed

they shouldn't be tight, thats what's causing your issue, they should all be loose!

standard procedure on aftermarket pads!

oh and REMOVE the copper grease, it is the devil and not needed

remove the shims = fixed

they shouldn't be tight, thats what's causing your issue, they should all be loose!

standard procedure on aftermarket pads!

oh and REMOVE the copper grease, it is the devil and not needed

Brilliant, cheers Fred. I will ask the garage to do that pre-MOT tomorrow. I'm a little concerned about the loose pad with the shim on there already... I take it that will be OK?

Are the shims the reason the garage had to "shave" the pads down to get them to fit?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Ade, I've got the exact same problem driving the good lady's Type-R at the moment - also on the Brembo HC's and Mintex 1144's. I'm taking it to my mates garage tomorrow for the MOT so will taking the shims out whilst I'm there. :star:

My mate had a gti6 with brembos on. No matter what he did they squeezed so he took them off. They stop great but sound sh*t

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Mintex 1144's are known to squeal quite a bit . Had mine on for about 18 months now , they do still squeal at low speeds but not quite as bad or as loud . It's just something you learn to live with .

182 Cup
should try carbone lorraines. if they get even a hint of glazing (from normal driving) they squeal like mad till you hammer them!