ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New clio 1.2 16v or 1.4 16v

Ive heard various opinions of them both, some prefer the 1.2 over the 1.4 :confused:. Even though the 1.4 is around 3 seconds quicker 0-60 due to the extra 23hp. Opinions people? And do people know the insurance groups for them both?

ur not gonna get a 1.2 16v over n e biger sized engine of the same car ud b mad to no way would i have bought ma 1.2 16v iv i could have got the 1.4 16v

The 1.4 is a hell of a lot quicker than the 1.2, i had a 1.2 before my 1.4 (only got it last thursday) but its such a difference.

Ive blown 1.2s all over the place even when im 4 up!

Go for the 1.4 16v, you wont be dissapointed. I certainly wasnt!

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

definitely the 1.4 16v.........thats what i have at the mo......always enjoyed driving it....great little car :D

Quote: Originally posted by Spammy on 29 March 2004

Chrisba, what ins. group is your 1.4 16v?
There 7 i blive but the quote wont be much different.

1.4 has more power and you will notice it especailly at speed on the motorway etc.

ive got the 1.4 16v mk2 phase 1 and it can p*ss all over the 1.2. Ive beaten saxo VTRs before and am chuffed to bits with it. The engines also completely standard, no mods. I think mines a group 5 insurance but i could be wrong.

fubar! u can beat vtrs in a standard 1.4???? where was the vtr parked?

get a 1.6, no point havin ne thin lower unless u just want looks! son as i got the money i gettin one of the 2.0 with out a doubt!

i own a 1.4 16v mark 2 phase 1. they are 98 bhp as standard which is more than a VTR.

they are group 5 insurance.

get an 1.4 16 si and u get sports seats air con very nice :D

H22A7 Accord Type R

yea but.................a late spec VTR...........has 98bhp std! and lighter than the clio! In my 1.2 16v against my mates 98bhp vtr, i was one up, he was 2 up, got to 80 and he was nowhere to be seen!! I reccon a late spec VTR would pull away from a 1.4 16v easily with the weight advantage

Quote: Originally posted by fUbAr on 04 April 2004

seriously, i CAN beat a vtr with no mods... come on 1.4 16v owners, back me up!! :)
yup have to agree with fubar, have trashed a few vtrs around where i live, i do find it suprising what the 1.4 can out gun

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

98 - 00 Clios:

1.4 16v INS 6 Cheap Tax Quicker than 1.6 8v

I just got one after my 1.2 8v which it beats the hell out off.

Also I raced a Mine Cooper tonight, He had a passanger and on the straights he was marginally quicker, the clio had an obvious advantage in the curves.

H22A7 Accord Type R

HUH???? lol clio had advantage in the curves? was it a new or old mini? Old ones fly round bends, and the new ones, i have lowered dynamique and there is no way i could keep with my mate on the twisties in his BMW cooper.......he did have the 17s on it tho......but they corner like fook! And the mini cooper (bmw) is slower than a VTR....... (my mate had 2 vtrs then got the mini cooper........was too slow compared to the saxo so he now has a Type R) lol, Rob.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S

It wasa standard Brand New BMW Mini Cooper. He was really giving it some on the straigths but I guess he must have been playing it safe on the curves.

H22A7 Accord Type R

i had a funny race off the lights with my mate in his cooper!! he was 2 up, i was one up, shot off, pretty evens in first, till i hit 6K and had to change, while he Ripppppppped up to 7000+ and got the lead.....and from then on it was pointless lol!!! Those minis really sound MINT wi the works induction kit on!! best I.K. ive ever heard so far

I have a 1.4 16v and I was given a 1.2 courtesy car for three weeks recently and my 1.4 is much quicker, especially pulling away!! The 1.2 seemed very slow in comparison and I was really disappointed with it - made sure I will never buy a 1.2 again!! lol

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

sack it all off get a 1.6 for insurance purposes. as for the vtr experiences i dunno i thought they were more poweful than that. i have had a few run ins and they;ve given me trouble

Is there as bigger gap between the 1.6 and 1.4 as there is between the 1.4 and 1.2? (if that makes sense)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport

well no the 1.6 16v = 110

1.4 16v is like 98

1.2 16v is like 70 odd isnt it!?!?

anyways i wouldnt say i could piss all over a 1.6 vtr.

1.4 is group 5, which isnt bad for the power. Ive never had any problem with any vtr or saxo for that matter - never come across a vts though. Get the 1.6 and you can deff beat a vtr. Your probably better off waiting till janurary and seeing what the new clio is like.