ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio 1.6 Dynamique?

Hello all,

I don't post much here these days, but I may be after another Clio. For those newer members, I've previosuly had a series of "normal" Clios, a 16V, Williams no.123, a 172 Ph2 and a couple of Fiat Coupe 20V Turbos.

Sadly the new car won't be a 197 - or indeed any bona fide hot hatch - because my other half and I have shared a car since we moved to a place with no commuting. It would be too difficult to justify as we only cover about 8,000 miles a year and park the car on the street. However, our 1.2 Authentique is doing my head in (60bhp!) and I'm now after a good small-to-medium car.

Does anyone have any input on the 1.6 Dynamique S? Last weekend I sat in one and like it on paper / in the flesh, but haven't driven one yet. I have test driven and don't like the Mini, but am considering the Grande Punto Sporting 130bhp diesel and (possibly) a C2 VTS as they're so cheap.

I'm not so worried about performance these days, but I'd like something that was good to drive (usually long distance when I do) and own.

I've had two for a bit and there nice cars I hate the gearbox but neither had many miles on them so mayne they would get better.
It doesn't hande like the Mk2 cars but the ride and seats were very good (if not ver supportive) I neve had any back trouble which the Mk2 gives me. No more headroom inside but the car feels much bigger whcih I didn't like. Doesn't go round bends bad though but I think the stock setup needs some more camber at the front to liven it up from its understearyness. (then agian Mk2 suffers just not as badly). I'd look at the dci one though as I felt the 1.6 if you did any milage due to the extra weight had quite poor MPG and it only goes like the only Mk2 1.4's do.
FOr the price I'd look at A skoda VRS a bit more pricy depending on what discount you can get but its a better engine I've driven its twin brothert the Seat Ibiza and wans't impressed but the Skodas are apparently a lot better.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. For various reasons, it has to be a new car and most likely a lease car (work are offering me a monthly payment in lieu of mileage claims, which is good as I do low miles).

The Clio, Mini and C2 are some of the cheapest out there on account of good discounts / good residuals. I just prefer the Clio so far, although I'd be much more interested in the C2 if it wasn't such a "Chav" car. The Fabia vRS was on my list, but it's getting a bit older than some of the competition, it's expensive on lease and I find the green brakes / bucket seats a bit garish (must be getting old!).

I'm also keen on the DCi models, but as I'm going to be doing only about 8k miles a year, the sums don't stack up when considering the £30-£40 monthly premium over the 1.6. Mind you, is the 1.6 worth it over the 1.4?

Last edited:
Update: I've just found a 1.4 Dynamique S (A/C) for £146 + VAT per month. The 1.6 Dynamique S is £169 + VAT. Not sure I want to pay that much more for a second to 60 and 5mph!

Ben H said:
I'm also keen on the DCi models, but as I'm going to be doing only about 8k miles a year, the sums don't stack up when considering the £30-£40 monthly premium over the 1.6. Mind you, is the 1.6 worth it over the 1.4?
I would recomend the dci only if your doing a few more miles the Mk3 seems heavier (although most cars havn't many miles on so noone knows it they will loosen up and help).
In your situation ' go for the 1.4 and stick the money in the bank the 1.6 isn't much better a bit more torque but neither is any good with the extra weight lit like driving a 1.2 or 1.4 Mk2 IMO compairing the 1.4 and 1.6 Mk3s.