ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Clio Cup Today

After much deliberation I have finally hung the gloves up on my Mk1 172. After a relatively hard life, and pending repairs, I decidied to trade it. I have done 190ish miles today in the Cup, and can safely say it is one of the best handling cars I have driven. I spent the majourity of the day in the Yorkshire Dales, darting from village to village, I am adhereing to the sub 4K and 80mph rule, but evan with gentle throttle opeings and smooth controls I have made some serious pace. My Mk1 had KW coilovers and it would have been left for dead today on those bumpy roads. I am in on word gobsmacked. Plus the ngine seems to be lossening well. I cant see how R sport are going to improve upon such a great car. There is a tear in my eye for my Mk1 but it has been swept away for the love of BLUE. the car that is.

mk2 172

bllody ell mate thats a shock, remember you saying you liked it on the test drive tho. nice one! see you at york, you doing owt to the engine then?

craggy

NIce one Tim! Look forward to seeing it fly up the strip at York. Are you transfering the launch control and Viper from the Mk1?

Rich

Yeah Viper soon, traction control is a bit of a problem , because they dont have wheel spped sensors, but got few ideas to get around that, hopefully should pull better than 14.5 with a few chioce mods, saying that not going to be doing as many launches as that f**ked my old car.

320d M Sport

Tim was yours the fastest 172 around? With yours gone i wonder if Ill beable to replace it?? hmm.... Glad you like the cup anyway!

You dont fancy selling your old KW coilovers to me then Tim??? (Cheeky I know, but hey, you cant blame me for trying! :oops:)

Quote: Originally posted by TimO172 on 01 March 2003

After much deliberation I have finally hung the gloves up on my Mk1 172. After a relatively hard life, and pending repairs, I decidied to trade it. I have done 190ish miles today in the Cup, and can safely say it is one of the best handling cars I have driven. I spent the majourity of the day in the Yorkshire Dales, darting from village to village, I am adhereing to the sub 4K and 80mph rule, but evan with gentle throttle opeings and smooth controls I have made some serious pace. My Mk1 had KW coilovers and it would have been left for dead today on those bumpy roads. I am in on word gobsmacked. Plus the ngine seems to be lossening well. I cant see how R sport are going to improve upon such a great car. There is a tear in my eye for my Mk1 but it has been swept away for the love of BLUE. the car that is.
Yes the Cup does indeed kick ass! To have a Mk1 172 owner say this just confirms everything.

Enjoy it!

My Cup is going back to renault (again) if they dont sort the problems it is history.

I am now really really disappointed with this car. OK it is quick, but not that quick... But oh my god it is dull, I guess I expected more. What renault seem to think is feedback is in fact just torque steer and stiff suspension - I was fooled! LOL. In my time I have owned both a Mk1 Golf GTI and a Alfa 145 QV, bith a MUCH better cars albeit much slower! I have really tried to like it but I took it out this weekend for an intended blast and just ended up going to Suburu and lotus to see how much they would give me. The build quality is the icing on cake - appalling.

If renualt sort out the rattles, the knock on the wheel, the stone chipping and the fading black plastics it might stay other wise bye bye!

Twit

I have to agree, Renaults build quality is not the best in the world, my Mk1 was terrible at the beggining of its life. However to say the cup is dull, I have to disagree. My Mk1 ran 14.5 1/4s all day long with Viper, CAT Pipe exhaust and other bits. It was in a way much more racecar like than the cup. But and it is a big but, the Cup is sensational. I was very dubious about its speeds and abilities, I have yet to open up the cup but so far I am pleased. Remembering that my Mk1 172 took approx 5K to feel as quick as the mags said it was, but the cup feels like it is going to be an animal. But at the end of the day, each to ones own, But to (Twit) dont let stupid build quality issues change your judgement of a cars abilities cause at the end of the day a rattle wont stop you getting from A to B f**king quickly!!

Tim O Cup (well from now on anyway).

Im probably a bit fed up with it cos it needs things sorting albeit fairly petty things....

But, I came from owning more sports type cars, I needed a small hatch cos I work in small city surgeries all day and small and nippy is required. I guess Ive been spoilt but the Cup does kind of bore me. I never feels that quick though it is and the build quality is an issue. OK it cost next to nothing and I had some spare cashbut that does not mean that renault should skimp, Ive sat in cheaper cars that re much better built. The other thng that really dogged me off is renault and the cup options laugh - Ill actually feel Ive been sold the car under false pretences, not funny!

At the moment I feel if I can bail out without loosing to much cash that may be the way to go. Im going to look at some elises next week and Ive been wanting an integrale since I was a kid so I may look at those. I know build quality is no better, but I can accept that for a legend!!

Twit

Trouble with other cars on the market is that in terms of acceleration the Clio wins hands down. I think the Cup was described as being the fastest car for under 20k. My Mk1 172 was in gear as fast as most Imprezas I came across on the road, and that gave alot of satisfaction. I think the Elise would be a good option but the sad fact is that away from standing starts the cup would be faster. The Cup also has the benefit of being a track day car, a road car, and an everyday runner. This is what some people would call the holy grail. I know from my research that the Clio gave alot for little outlay, accompanied by a three year warranty. As for the Integrale, a legend, but in real world driving a Clio Cup would be just as fast. you dont have to look further than the posts on this forum to see how a VTS, a car I hold in great esteem, has been scalping many much faster cars. Modern cars just seem to be getting quicker. At the end of the day a Clio Cup is basically an Esxort cosworth perfroming car... It is silly really. Anyway, I know how pesonal car choice can be and how one person can loath a car another loves. But do us a favour and stay Clio, V6 anybody?

Ill probably stay Cup... Im just ranting quietly!

I know what you mean and I have had the cup on the track and it is very good, a Grale would be nice though!

Twit

Yes the cup is awesome, Im starting to fall in love with mine again!

I see talk of York, what going on there? Thats a lot more local for me!