ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New member - Second hand Clio 200 where to pay attention

Hello to the forum!
I am new here so I am not sure if the post is in the correct place, so apologies if it's not.
To the point now. I am looking to buy a second hand Clio 200, the cup version is the ideal for me, in the next couple of months and I would like for same advices, like what is the weaknesses of the car, what to looks after on it, how important is the mileage and so on.
I used to own several Renault in the past with the oldest to be a 4L. Now I am looking fro something more sporty and capable for tacks as in the future I want to turn in into a full racing car. Also I would like to know if there are local Clio clubs near Luton.
I will appreciate any advice you can give me. Than you very much.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Welcome.
200's are a great choice, providing that you don't commute long distances in them. They're pretty raw.
With regard to what to look out for:
- Gearbox synchos (crunching into second, third and fouth and a reluctance to go into gear are pointers)
- Exhaust manifolds (the braided flexi joints fail, requiring a repair or replacement of the whole manifold)
- Mushy brakes (the Brembos are notorious for sticking sliders and retaining pins)
- Rust on bootlid (Near the edge of the glass where it meets the bootlid, under the wiper)
- Lower ball joints/knuckles (clunking when driving over bumps and on lock)

I'm sure that there's more, but they're the main things to look out for. For the most part they're a solid car. Much more raw and closer to the Mk2 Clios than the 197 was. Definitely worth the bit extra in budget.

Of all the RS models I've had, the 200's my favourite and I've had it from new.

Welcome.
200's are a great choice, providing that you don't commute long distances in them. They're pretty raw.
With regard to what to look out for:
- Gearbox synchos (crunching into second, third and fouth and a reluctance to go into gear are pointers)
- Exhaust manifolds (the braided flexi joints fail, requiring a repair or replacement of the whole manifold)
- Mushy brakes (the Brembos are notorious for sticking sliders and retaining pins)
- Rust on bootlid (Near the edge of the glass where it meets the bootlid, under the wiper)
- Lower ball joints/knuckles (clunking when driving over bumps and on lock)

I'm sure that there's more, but they're the main things to look out for. For the most part they're a solid car. Much more raw and closer to the Mk2 Clios than the 197 was. Definitely worth the bit extra in budget.

Of all the RS models I've had, the 200's my favourite and I've had it from new.
Thanks Christopher. I have to commute in them but I don't mind. I am used to raw cars in general. As you had one already, is it expensive to be run? Like regular services, parts and so on. Also, I can find cars with 80.000mils is that OK for the car?

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Thanks Christopher. I have to commute in them but I don't mind. I am used to raw cars in general. As you had one already, is it expensive to be run? Like regular services, parts and so on. Also, I can find cars with 80.000mils is that OK for the car?
Not really, just the same as any other hot hatch really... barring a few awkward Clio 3 specific items. Like the lower ball joints and manifold I mentioned.
For the most part, as long as you buy one that's been cared for, mileage isn't an issue. Mine's on 70k but has never wanted for anything and I've had it from new. Some aren't cared for in the same way and the neglect shows.

GTD, Lupo
Having had a Cup and a 200 with Cup pack I would go for the 200 with Cup pack as the extras that come with the car make it look far nicer and make it a nicer place to be when driving.

As for the faults Christopher covered most of the big ones.

The only other ones I had apart from the ones already mentioned was oil leaking from the rocker cover, simple fix with a little sealant.

IMG_0831.JPG

Also have a quick check of the seal that the trailing edge of the door closes against. These tend to become brittle and split over time. Cheap to fix but worth checking when buying.

What kind of spec are you looking for and what is your budget. There are so many different options available and it would be horrible to buy the wrong one.