ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to detailing, need a bit of guidance!

1.2 16V
Well I've had my pearl black 1.2 clio since last May, but I've only ever washed and waxed, never done anything more than that. I was originally planning to get a 182 this May (1 year no claims), but as the insurance is +/-£1800, I'm going to wait another year, as I'll be 21 with 2 years no claims! :approve:

So, now I am stuck with my 1.2 for a year, and whilst I am doing minor little things to make it look nicer (RS grille, painted diamonds, changed interior), I have a bit of disposable money I would like to spend on making my car look the bees knees.

I already have 2x Meguiars Lambswool mitts & 2 buckets with grit guards. My shampoo + wax are ok, but not great. Currently using some turtle shampoo my dad had lying around, and some Sonax Black car wax.

What I'm basically after is recommendations for the following:

- A shampoo.
- A grit remover.
- A wax (I won't be buying a machine polisher thing until I get the 182)
- A product like T-Cut that removes all those little hairline stratches (my t-cut doesn't seem to be working, its like 16 years old).
- An interior fabric cleaner.
- A trim cleaner (back to black style).
- An alloy cleaner + shineyness.
- A tyre cleaner (back to black style)
- A glass polish.

Along with anything else you can recommend!!

I'll upload a photo of my car cleaned and waxed later today, so you can see what I've been working with!

Mk3 1.4 Dynamique
Personally I use AG products, I find the bumper and trim gel fantastic for plastic trim strips etc, also the foaming tyre shine is a nice finish once you've cleaned the whole car, I use fast glass for the windows and mirrors, the other nice one is rapid detailer for when you've cleaned it recently and within a day it's got a light road film on, can also be used with a clay bar to remove imperfections on your paint work :) makes it nice a smoooooth

Fiesta ST
I dont think AG products are bad but there are better for the money in most cases

Shampoo - Zaino Z7, DJ Born to be mild, Auto finesse Lather seem to be the favourites
T-cut product - Something like Auto finesse tripple/AG super resin polish
Wax - I use more sealant type products as they are so easy to apply (especially in the cold weather) Zaino Z8, Auto finesse tough coat, Workstat Jett are all very good
Alloy Cleaner - Bilberry wheel cleaner
Tyre Shine - Meguiars High gloss tyre Gel is excellent
Glass Cleaner - Auto finesse crystal
Interior - Pass
Trim - Pass

I would also get:
CarPro Iron X
Auto finesse Citrus Power
Wooly Mammoth Drying Towel (you didnt mention if you had one or not)

These are what i am currently using and would recommend.

Last edited:

Paul172sport

ClioSport Club Member
  Sunflower Ph1
Auto finesse revive for trim nothing beats it for price and their crystal glass is recommended too.

I've only tried my triple on the door shuts for now but initial impressions good.

Sometimes you can get 3 for 2 on auto finesse if so those 3 would be my suggestion