ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Type Of Coilovers Just Arrived - Testing Ahead!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i bet they are the same , k tec's and vmaxx one's , you could almost guarantee it !!! as k tec will only be getting there's in cheap and selling them on for a profit !!

Charged Superleggera
even if they are not as good as vmaxx or k tec coilies they are still a bloody good bargain.

^^eh?? (not you chris, the post was a reply to nathan)

im guessing that guy posting above was just interested in hearing from ktec about these. not complaining about there price, but you would of thought they would have posted saying there not the same if they werent. and its a pretty big mark up in price. i and everyone else knows there not a charity, there a decent sized company with no doubt a lot of overheads etc. people were just looking for clarification if they were the same im guessing.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Morning guys,

Not had a chance to read this whole thread as we have been at the Autosport Show for the last 5 days.

Over the past few months we have seen a couple of cheap coilover kits for the 172 which have been sent to us with a view to us selling them. All I can say is that these were returned to the manufacturers and we left it at that as we did not want to be dealing with the inevitable warranty issues that would have come from these kits.

There is a alot more to a suspension kit than its overall appearance and at the end of the day there will always be cheaper versions of the superior product available (tyres, brakes pads etc). We are very pleased with our own kit, we feel it is very well priced and we are happy to offer our own 2 year guarantee on it. I would not be so happy about buying an unknown kit from an unknown supplier in a foreign country. As the old saying goes "buy cheap, buy twice".

David.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Still it would be good for KTEC to pipe up and explain why VMAXX/KTEC kits are superior?

I could not comment on this without having a kit here and stripping it down. No other company can buy our suspension kits unless we are supplying them as a dealer and as present we do not have a dealer in Germany. If this kit was on par with ours I think I would be buying them from Mr Ebay seller.

David.

I have only just got a clio - so obviously not fully qualified to rattle on about suspension

But from running 106owners and having quite a few dealings with raceland - their kit is cheap for a reason. I'm sure it will work, fit perfectly and for people who want a cheap coilover kit it will be exactly that

But KTR put a 2 year warranty on their gear - and I've never known anything from raceland last 2 years lol

You can't say "they look the same - must be the same kit" - of course they look the same, they're built for the same car.
Personally I'd rather be spending the money on some coilovers with a 2 year warranty from a UK supplier you can ring - than some cheap german copies with no warranty :)

There doesn't appear to be any dust covers on the raceland rear shocks, which also look worryingly thing. And the spec's don't fill me with confidence either..

adjustable front: 180 - 210 mm
adjustable rear: 15 - 30 mm

Yeah ermmm -180mm front and -30mm back sounds spot on! lol

LY R26 230 F1 Team
I could not comment on this without having a kit here and stripping it down. No one else can buy our suspension kits and if this kit was on par with ours I think I would be buying them from Mr Ebay seller.

David.

I'm possibly going to be buying one of your kits shortly. Just as soon as i can justify the money (Yes I am a student and yes I am poor LOL)

Just wondered how there could be such a vast differance in price?
Like you said buy cheap buy twice - I agree. But they look so similar to your kit....
I'll trust you KTEC if you are the only company that can buy from your supplier.

Chris - the problem is without doing a direct comparison back to back, you don't know what the raceland spring rates, or damping rates are set to.

Best bet is just to talk to people who have them fitted, check out the ride height and see if they are softer/stiffer than standard and go from there

I'll be buying some KTR coilovers next month - but I will also be keeping my eye on this thread to see what people who fit the raceland gear think to it :)

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I originally posted a link to these coilovers over a week ago, but the seller informed me they wouldn't fit a ph1 172. If I had been informed correctly I would have been very tempted at £165 delivered. But instead I had some K-tec coilovers supplied and fitted by NW performance on Saturday and so far have been very impressed with them.

The two kits do look pretty much the same on the photo's but I think my k-tec ones go lower on the rear than the German kit?

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
They do look very very close hopefully il be at home tonight and check for part numbers.

Im just going to tell my self that the black ktec springs are more thought about in terms of how they perform.

Megane 225 Cup
id like to order these raceland ones but just worried that they will break is it worth the extra paying for 2 years warrenty on something that could be the same kit

if so ill order the k-tec ones whn i get some more ££

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I was just going on the drop that people have achieved after fitting these, I could be wrong though. Like you say they look virtually identical.

Edd

ClioSport Club Member
  Ghibli/Boxster/197T
I was just comparing it to the drop my ktecs gave (fitted saturday), but I think you are right and it's just the angle of the photo's that make them look abit higher at the back.

If they do turn out to be the same Boombastic will have a bit of a rush on his hands, because I've been really impressed with the K-tec ones so far. So at half the price you just can't go wrong.

172, Tiguan
The guy on ebay refunded me the postage within 3 business hours of asking him. TBF that's pretty decent.

Looking forward to getting mine and giving them a go. If they last 2 years, they last two years. At £160 I'm not going to cry to much.

If you want total piece of mind then get the Ktec coilovers or another brand, but if you want to take a punt, then well take a punt.

172 Ph1,Golf GTI PDI
Ive had mine on for a week now and im bloody impressed,
I raised the fronts at the weekend and this has smoothed out the ride substantially, ride height is still low but obviously its not running on the bumpstops.
My fronts are approx 70mm from the bottom of the lower spring seat to the lowest thread.
Im 37 years old and have coilovers on a variety of cars over the years from Koni,Avo,Tein & FK Konigsport all sunstatially more expensive and these are very good in terms of ride quality regardless of price but when you factor in the money they are fantastic.
If you are thinking about buying them then you have nothing to lose....

PH2 RS 172 Forsale
Their will always be people with an opinion of their cheap = their s**t because to be fair i would take that opinion but without trying i would be another £££ out of pocket rather then just £160 for a kit which imo is excellent value for money. But like i say some people will never change their opinion.

audi a6 3.0tdi
I've got cheapish coilovers on the vectra ( supersport by spax) and they ride very well too. Cheap suspension can be good but it really all depends on what you want the car for. My clio is used solely for b-roads blasting so i wouldn't go fitting these but for a car that spends the majority of its time in town they will be fine.

I would guess that as they look the same as the Ktec ones that they are probably using the casings from the same manufacturer, but the internals could be better on the Ktecs.

Like Ktec said, they put their own warranty on them so they must have faith in the products.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
cheaper than my mk1 coilovers... and thats worrying

id be a little concerened over the quality, not so much if they are stuff etc but if they are likely to collapse as im giving it beans around a corner

172 Ph1,Golf GTI PDI
If they were poor quality then they wouldnt have got TUV approval.
Bottom line is these look to be as good quality as any of the coilovers ive had fitted to previous car and that includes 800+ quid kits.
As for only being suitable for town thats laughable, nigh on all my driving is B roads in rural Sussex and they cope just fine.

172 Ph1,Golf GTI PDI
And if anyone is thinking about these but is unsure of ride quality/handling etc they are more than welcome to have a pass ride in my car.

Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup
I ordered mine on Friday so hopefully get them this week :):) I'll ask my man Fred but he probs wont like fitting them as he is into his top end stuff lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.