ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Xbox announced, tonight 18:00PM

Titanium 182
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/06/07/xbox_one_internet_required_after_all/
YES, Xbox One DOES need internet, DOES restrict game trading

Microsoft has finally confirmed that Xbox fans' worst fears are at least partially true: Although the new Xbox One gaming console won't need an always-on internet connection, that connection had better be on pretty often or you can forget about gaming. And don't assume you'll be able to sell or trade your old games, either.

"With Xbox One, we are planning for a connected future," the Xbox team explained in a blog post on Thursday.

What that means is that while offline gaming is technically possible with the Xbox One – as an earlier leaked memo suggested it would be – it will only actually work as long as the console is able to phone home at least once per day.

After that it's kaput, unless all you want is a media player – and customers who don't want to connect their consoles to the internet might as well forget about buying an Xbox One altogether, as the post explains:

With Xbox One you can game offline for up to 24 hours on your primary console, or one hour if you are logged on to a separate console accessing your library. Offline gaming is not possible after these prescribed times until you re-establish a connection, but you can still watch live TV and enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies.

What's more, as Redmond notes, even though the console itself doesn't need to be online all the time, some games may not work unless it is.

While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend. Games that are designed to take advantage of the cloud may require a connection.

Or, as the Xboxers put it elsewhere in the same post, "Xbox One is designed to run in a low-powered, connected state" – which, in the opinion of this Reg hack, isn't quite the same thing as not needing an always-on internet connection, as Microsoft has previously suggested.
B-but ... but you get the CLOUD!

Part of the reason for these requirements is that gaming on the Xbox One is fully integrated with the cloud. When you install a game for the console, a copy of it is automatically associated with your online account, no matter whether you bought it online through Xbox Live or picked it up on physical disc at a store.

The main benefit of this is that your games can now follow you wherever you are. You can login with your account on your friend's Xbox and play all of your games there. You can even share your games with up to ten members of your family, and they'll be able to play them wherever they go, too.

The main downside, on the other hand, is that this cloud-connected system gives Microsoft and its game-publisher partners ultimate control over when, where, how, and to whom you can sell or trade your used games, even if you bought them on physical disc, as Microsoft explains in a separate blog post.

Although it will be possible to trade in, resell, or give away your disc-based games in some cases, and Redmond won't charge you any fees to do so, it's up to game publishers to decide whether it's allowed for their games – and how much it might cost.

"Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers," the post explains.

Even giving games away is subject to approval. According to Microsoft, you'll only be able to give them to people who have been on your friends list for 30 days, and each game can only be given away in this fashion once. And even then, it's up to game publishers to enable the feature for their games.

Worse still, for now all of this is hypothetical. "Loaning or renting games won't be available at launch," Microsoft writes, "but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners."

On the positive side, Microsoft says gamers will have complete control over when and how the built-in Kinect sensor in the Xbox One operates, collects, and shares data. "When Xbox One is on and you're simply having a conversation in your living room, your conversation is not being recorded or uploaded," Redmond thoughtfully explains.

On the negative side, just about everything you hoped wouldn't be true about the Xbox is essentially true, even if the rumors didn't have it exactly right. Happy now?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
That's actually quite alarming for some folk.

This image here says it all:

drm4yjrw.png

untitled-1gmu5b.jpg

These are pretty much stated facts, too. Won't bother me but I can see it being a problem for many.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
My router is on 24 hours a day, everyday. Shouldn't be a problem for me. I do like the idea of the cloud.

Evo 5 RS
Unfortunately we do live in a country that's about 10 years behind everyone else when it comes to broadband. Most people shouldn't have a problem though.

Evo 5 RS
Like who? Literally the only people that could possibly be further behind us have more important things to think about. Like finding shelter and fresh water.

Clio 182
I could see this is a major issue for those in the armed forces, most camps won't have broadband in the barrack block. The Xbox is a life saver for nights stuck on camp sometimes in bad weather etc.

dk

911 GTS Cab
It all sounds very 'publisher' led. I can't see sonys stance on this being different, I wish they'd at least comment on WTF the Ps4 restrictions will be! I think it'll be very similar, but they'd rather let Microsoft take the heat right now.

as a consumer, I appreciate Microsoft being up front. I may not agree with what they are doing, but at least I'm in the know. Also, a lot of this seems to be down to the publishers. Microsoft as a publisher is not charging for trade ins.

​So come on Sony, spill the beans!
You are such a fan boy it's unbelievable, MS are only in it for the money! And yes, MS do get a cut from the sale of pre-owned games as well as the publisher according to the details so far.

But I can see them changing things as the feedback gets worse and worse, they are being too controlling and the punters aren't appreciating it. The only way they will get away with it is if Sony take exactly the same stance and rules.

Honda. Tesla Someday

Whoever wrote that article is so butt hurt!

its not that big an issue lol!! Are people actually surprised by this news? I mean, PC gaming is very similar. You buy a game and a licence key, it's locked to your 'account' and that's that! At least with the Xbox one more than one person can play the game at a time!

Just kinda annoying how so many website are acting like this is some sort of holy Armageddon!

Titanium 182
Whoever wrote that article is so butt hurt!

its not that big an issue lol!! Are people actually surprised by this news? I mean, PC gaming is very similar. You buy a game and a licence key, it's locked to your 'account' and that's that! At least with the Xbox one more than one person can play the game at a time!

Just kinda annoying how so many website are acting like this is some sort of holy Armageddon!
PC gaming is very different. For a start, games are a lot cheaper. Secondly, you can play them offline. Thirdly, the platform you play them on won't be obsolete in five years time.

I could go on, but won't. ;)

Mito Sportiva 135
It's a well known fact though that this current generation of consoles has seen the demise of many, many great publishers due to lack of revenues. Publishers are criticised for not taking risks and pumping out sequels. For me as a consumer I want choice and if that means paying a bit more to have that than that's fine. At the end of the day games cost the same or less now than they did 20 years ago (still remember paying £60 for Street Fighter 2 Turbo Edition!)

There might be some more draconian rules being imposed by Sony and MS but publishers need this to survive IMO.

A lot of the criticisms, such as the online necessity, have been blown way out of proportion too.

However I think the problem is MS have been poor at promoting the benefits of the One (or the ones that people care about, at least) and allowed internet rumours to continue to circulate - they should have quelled them straight after the announcement. My only hope is the negative reactions will lead to some changes as they will obviously recognise the issues.

Honda. Tesla Someday
You are such a fan boy it's unbelievable, MS are only in it for the money! And yes, MS do get a cut from the sale of pre-owned games as well as the publisher according to the details so far.

But I can see them changing things as the feedback gets worse and worse, they are being too controlling and the punters aren't appreciating it. The only way they will get away with it is if Sony take exactly the same stance and rules.

I'm such a fanboy? Grow up!

Microsoft said that they are not taking any money for trade ins. Try READING before talking crap! They said it in the press release above that MS does not receive any compensation for the resale of games.

Thank god most of the worlds population isn't as ignorant as you, we'd be so f*cked!

oh and "omfg they are only doing it for the money OMGG!!" - its a BUSINESS, a business to make... MONEY. Nothing in this life is free, get used to it!

Evo 5 RS
It's not a major issue for most of us really. In moderation, I think they've made a good call with the 24 hour thing, but I have a feeling that will change. Online DRM has been tried before. Ubisoft implemented 'always online' DRM on a few games. Literally the moment your internet connection dropped it would throw you out. Whoever came up with that one needs shooting.

For those without an internet connection, god knows. Times are changing, I think it's certainly a better way of tackling piracy than implementing on disc DRM or software that could bloat out the OS.

Locking users to digital downloads is also nothing new. However I know a lot of younger gamers tend to trade games in like they're pogs as they simply can't afford to buy another game. The laws on digital content are still even today very unclear, and I wouldn't be surprised if something is done about it in the next couple of years to entitle everyone to be able to sell on content they've purchased, as at the moment it's easy for companies to exploit.

Last edited:

dk

911 GTS Cab
I'm such a fanboy? Grow up!

Microsoft said that they are not taking any money for trade ins. Try READING before talking crap! They said it in the press release above that MS does not receive any compensation for the resale of games.

Thank god most of the worlds population isn't as ignorant as you, we'd be so f*cked!

oh and "omfg they are only doing it for the money OMGG!!" - its a BUSINESS, a business to make... MONEY. Nothing in this life is free, get used to it!
Yep fanboy.

ms said they aren't charging for the sale of games back to the retailer for trade in, they haven't said they aren't getting a cut when the game is then resold to the next poor sod, which is what was said was going to happen.

you seem to think everything ms do is amazing, they can't put a foot wrong, this is all total b****cks, ms are losing a LOT of loyal gamers over this at the moment, so you are in the minority, but it's because you are a fanboy and can't see the wrong in all this.

You can no longer buy a game and know that in 5 years time you'll 100% be able to still play it, it will depend on whether the developer will allow you to play it, they could stop the service at any time, you have no say whatsoever, which could mean you might not even be able to play it in single player either, that's b****cks, especially as it looks like games are going to be even more expensive than before.

there is negative press around this everywhere, why can't you see this?

Mito Sportiva 135
Who doesn't have an internet connection these days? And who won't in the console's lifetime of around 10 years? I would say very little. I can kind of understand some people still like the idea of consoles being a discrete box, you put a game in and that's it. But the console market has changed and will continue to do so and the manufacturers have to appeal to the masses and make gaming more mainstream - not just satisfy the stereotypical gamer sitting at home alone playing an obscure RPG.

It amazes me how little some people fail to take into account that these ARE businesses and obviously trying to make profit and fulfil strategic objectives. On the other hand it also amazes me how some publishers/manufacturers fail to listen to the voice of the consumer at times - and we end up with the likes of Playstation Home or Dragon Age 2!

dk

911 GTS Cab
Anyway, as said, we need to really wait until next week now to see if Sony are planning the same and that will be that, we'll have to like it or lump it.

I'll still be buying both consoles for the exclusive games, it's the only way to do it really, a shame but that's that too. I think exclusives should be banned too, to save people having to buy both consoles to get the full exposure to all games.

Evo 5 RS
I think exclusives should be banned too, to save people having to buy both consoles to get the full exposure to all games.

Disagree, especially as we could see a further reduction in the Xbox One's capability. Graphics aren't everything, but I'd like to see just what the PS4 is truly capable of. Multi platform games can make a lot of developers lazy.

On the plus side people in prison won't be able to play.

This brings another point up, I assume I wouldn't be able to take the console away from home (e.g. staying in a holiday home, where there is no internet).

I rarely sell games (in fact I rarely buy them), but if reselling games becomes impossible, I'd hope the RRP of new games will be considerably cheaper (closer to £30 instead of £50).

dk

911 GTS Cab
Disagree, especially as we could see a further reduction in the Xbox One's capability. Graphics aren't everything, but I'd like to see just what the PS4 is truly capable of. Multi platform games can make a lot of developers lazy.
Fair points.

Titanium 182
This brings another point up, I assume I wouldn't be able to take the console away from home (e.g. staying in a holiday home, where there is no internet). I rarely sell games (in fact I rarely buy them), but if reselling games becomes impossible, I'd hope the RRP of new games will be considerably cheaper (closer to £30 instead of £50).
No you won't. I have a friend who regularly takes his 360 with him to wifi-less hotels for work (and sometimes can't get a 3G signal either). He will not be able to do this with the X-bone.

The RRP of games will most likely go up, not down. Spiralling development costs will be cited as the reason. The example of SSFII Turbo selling for £60 always rears its head in discussions about price of games, but that was an anomaly - most SNES games retailed at £39.99. 20 years later and some games RRP at £54.99. I expect next-gen games to retail around £60-65.

Mito Sportiva 135
No you won't. I have a friend who regularly takes his 360 with him to wifi-less hotels for work (and sometimes can't get a 3G signal either). He will not be able to do this with the X-bone.

The RRP of games will most likely go up, not down. Spiralling development costs will be cited as the reason. The example of SSFII Turbo selling for £60 always rears its head in discussions about price of games, but that was an anomaly - most SNES games retailed at £39.99. 20 years later and some games RRP at £54.99. I expect next-gen games to retail around £60-65.

I disagree - I think prices have stayed pretty much the same, but given inflation in real terms games have actually got cheaper - despite development and marketing costs massively increasing. This is the result of more people playing games. With MS and Sony (and publishers) targeting larger customer segments they can keep the prices as low as possible despite increased costs. DLC has become more prevalent as it helps generate extra revenue - the basic games alone very often make surprisingly low profit. Obviously though there are piss takes when it comes to DLC from some greedy publishers but you can see the business argument for doing this.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Yep fanboy.

ms said they aren't charging for the sale of games back to the retailer for trade in, they haven't said they aren't getting a cut when the game is then resold to the next poor sod, which is what was said was going to happen.

you seem to think everything ms do is amazing, they can't put a foot wrong, this is all total b****cks, ms are losing a LOT of loyal gamers over this at the moment, so you are in the minority, but it's because you are a fanboy and can't see the wrong in all this.

You can no longer buy a game and know that in 5 years time you'll 100% be able to still play it, it will depend on whether the developer will allow you to play it, they could stop the service at any time, you have no say whatsoever, which could mean you might not even be able to play it in single player either, that's b****cks, especially as it looks like games are going to be even more expensive than before.

there is negative press around this everywhere, why can't you see this?

You can keep calling me a fanboy till your balls drop, I don't care.

Once again I must point out that you can't read properly. Microsoft said in the press release that they will NOT charge retailers, publishers or consumers for enabling transfer of games. This means that they do not get a cut. As a cut of it would be seen as a fee. Comprende? Lets move on.

Did I ever say that I completely agree with everything MS is doing? No I did not. What I actually said was 'even though I may not agree with everything they are doing'. Once again it looks like I need to point out your lacking reading skills.

Your last point regarding being able to play games in 5 years etc and developers / publishers having to give permission is a gripe you should have with the publishers or developers themselves. That has nothing to do with Microsoft. If a publisher decides to charge a fee for trading a game in etc, then that is down to said publisher.

I hope my english wasnt very difficult to read, because I am getting tired of educating you.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
I disagree - I think prices have stayed pretty much the same, but given inflation in real terms games have actually got cheaper - despite development and marketing costs massively increasing. This is the result of more people playing games. With MS and Sony (and publishers) targeting larger customer segments they can keep the prices as low as possible despite increased costs. DLC has become more prevalent as it helps generate extra revenue - the basic games alone very often make surprisingly low profit. Obviously though there are piss takes when it comes to DLC from some greedy publishers but you can see the business argument for doing this.

Lets Not forget Turok on N64 at £70 when it was released and they were all £60 for years, they very rarely went below £50 for new games, problem I see is more and more developers only release limited editions mostly with pointless crap at a higher cost, Blackops 2 release I could only get Hardened edition on release for £69.99 bad times, not to mention they give you minimal maps to start with and then charge 1200 plus points for more, which lets face it you do need after a while to prolong longevity.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
I agree dude, and also DK what games are you trying to play 5 years down the line? all first version Xbox 360 games work on the cons

Did I ever say that I completely agree with everything MS is doing? No I did not. What I actually said was 'even though I may not agree with everything they are doing'. Once again it looks like I need to point out your lacking reading skills.

Your last point regarding being able to play games in 5 years etc and developers / publishers having to give permission is a gripe you should have with the publishers or developers themselves. That has nothing to do with Microsoft. If a publisher decides to charge a fee for trading a game in etc, then that is down to said publisher.

I hope my english wasnt very difficult to read, because I am getting tired of educating you.[/QUOTE]

I agree dude, and also DK what games are you trying to play 5 years down the line? all first version Xbox 360 games work on the console, MP part probably wont, i'd be amazed how many people actually want to play first version on Halo online nowadays, there isnt enough people to warrant the server upkeep costs, not to mention patches and the like, maybe buy some new games or something, let go of the 5 year old games.

Clio
I think I might change "worried" to "angry" in my show of hands.

If Al-Qaeda waged their jihad against gamers they'd stand no chance.

As for that article, some of the points are blatant scaremongering:

- You don't own the games you buy, only the license to play them

You've never 'owned' a game. Just like music you never owe the material, that belongs to the authors/publishers. You are licensed to play it, always have been.

- Publishers decide whether games can be traded in or not and even then, it will only be possible with "participating retailers"

Where has that been announced? Nothing I have read states publishers will specifically block trading. Charging a fee is not blocking.

- You have to connect online every 24 hours - fail to do so and you can't play your games at all

Again, this is misleading. It makes it sound like if the console is off for 3 days it will melt into a useless pile of plastic. Nonsense.

- You can sell games to those on your Friends List but only if you've been friends with them for 30 days

Again, wrong. The official statement reads :-

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

Also, as I have mentioned in other threads I work for Microsoft but these opinions are all my own. I haven't heard anything internally that hasn't already been made public. There is a lot of rumour in this thread, a lot of which I won't comment but when things are being posted that are clearly meant to generate negative conversation I will offer my opinion.

Honda. Tesla Someday
I agree dude, and also DK what games are you trying to play 5 years down the line? all first version Xbox 360 games work on the cons

DeeKay86 Quote:

I hope my english wasnt very difficult to read, because I am getting tired of educating you. END QUOTE

I agree dude, and also DK what games are you trying to play 5 years down the line? all first version Xbox 360 games work on the console, MP part probably wont, i'd be amazed how many people actually want to play first version on Halo online nowadays, there isnt enough people to warrant the server upkeep costs, not to mention patches and the like, maybe buy some new games or something, let go of the 5 year old games.

​thank you for agreeing! :)

I understand prices should go up, but if the 2nd hand market (whether that being from a shop or through forums) dies due to reselling becoming difficult/impossible, then it would only be fair to reduce the cost of the new games. IMO.

dk

911 GTS Cab
You can keep calling me a fanboy till your balls drop, I don't care.

Once again I must point out that you can't read properly. Microsoft said in the press release that they will NOT charge retailers, publishers or consumers for enabling transfer of games. This means that they do not get a cut. As a cut of it would be seen as a fee. Comprende? Lets move on.

I hope my english wasnt very difficult to read, because I am getting tired of educating you.
Entrepreneur / Gadget God / Writer / Photographer / Lyrical Poet

is that right, add to that patronising fanboy and you'll be about right.

maybe you should read what i put, being able to play a game in 5 years has everything to do with everyone, we are renting the games, installing them on the drive, and then relying on MS and the publisher allowing us to play it, especially with this 'cloud' based gaming, nothing to do with trading anything in. If i want to pick up GTAIV and play it offline now, or in 3 years i can, but i can't be guaranteed that fact with the new games.

What is a publisher goes under and stops running their servers to enable you to play a game, there goes you ever being able to play it again, online or in insole player mode because of the integration they are talking about. We don't own games (not that we ever had in the past either, just like we don't own software, we have a license to run it) but also don't know what the future of playing that game even in single player mode is any more.