ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Xbox announced, tonight 18:00PM

dk

911 GTS Cab
So Family sharing wasn't actually all that good? Just another way to get someone to buy another overpriced digital version of the game?

I cannot believe the cheek of the developers trying to gain money from the sale of used games. Thats like me buying a Brand new Renault Clio 200T, and Renault expected some of the money when I sell it on. C#nts.
well they kind of do, as they are likely to get the servicing for the car, which i can imagine is a very profitable part of the business the silly prices they can charge to change some oil.

The difference is when you buy media, you are generally only buying a license to use it. You never own it.

Developers need to make money. Lots of it. If they don't, we don't get to play amazing games. I have no issue with this side of things, as I buy all my games digitally anyway, and have honestly never sold a game even when I had hard copies. Not everyone is the same though of course.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
well they kind of do, as they are likely to get the servicing for the car, which i can imagine is a very profitable part of the business the silly prices they can charge to change some oil.

But even if that did happen, They would be paying for a service, and getting something, regardless of whether it is over priced or not. The Publishers are doing f**k all and expecting a cut! w*****s

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
The difference is when you buy media, you are generally only buying a license to use it. You never own it.

Developers need to make money. Lots of it. If they don't, we don't get to play amazing games. I have no issue with this side of things, as I buy all my games digitally anyway, and have honestly never sold a game even when I had hard copies. Not everyone is the same though of course.

My issue with this, is Fifa for example.

Every year, I buy the new one. Every year, I sell the old one, yes, usually I get about £6 for it. But if I wasn't "able" to do this, Id have Fifa 08,09,10,11,12,13 for example sat on my shelf. For you this might not be an issue, as your game library is on a Cloud somewhere. For me, they would be stuck on my bookshelf/DVD rack for example.

Obviously, you're now going to say "well now you're moaning about space, buy the digital version". Im no CS Baller, I work hard for my money, sure I waste it on stuff, but I always (at the time) feel I get value for money from it. To me I do not get any VFM from a Digital download.

The issue is quite apparant, no company is EVER going to please everyone. Despite the U Turn benefiting and appealing more to me, I do think, based on this they should have stuck to their guns and gone with it. Its going to suceed regardless IMO

But even if that did happen, They would be paying for a service, and getting something, regardless of whether it is over priced or not. The Publishers are doing f**k all and expecting a cut! w**kers
I've actually had this reply window open for about 10 minutes, typing explanations, then deleting, rewording etc. In the end I just thought "What's the f**king point n trying to explain anything, I'm off to bed".

Good night.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I've actually had this reply window open for about 10 minutes, typing explanations, then deleting, rewording etc. In the end I just thought "What's the f**king point n trying to explain anything, I'm off to bed".

Good night.

I'm clearly infuriating you, can assure you its not intentional, but what have I said in the above post that is (in your opinion) so wrong?

Agree with kpowell as stupid as it sounds i don't feel like i get vfm with digital downloads plus the majority of the time they are more expensive than a hard copy which is my main issue with them.

Clio
When I read this, all I can think of is trying to explain to my old man when we bought him his iPod and docking station moons ago why he didn't have to buy a CD anymore.

I guess its the same thing, people don't like change.

I can understand about the not selling it on thing but I'm sure MS original plan said this would be possible or I imagine the digital content would be possible eventually.

The next gen consoles are not next gen, they have just become same old games but with better grpahics. Publishers are obviously pushed for profits at the moment so they will continue churning out the same old franchises/genres that they know make money without taking any risks with new content.

dk

911 GTS Cab
But even if that did happen, They would be paying for a service, and getting something, regardless of whether it is over priced or not. The Publishers are doing f**k all and expecting a cut! w**kers
So they aren't providing the servers to run the online gaming element?

dk

911 GTS Cab
I've actually always wondered whether, because you don't own the game, you're just paying for the privilege to play it, do you have the right to sell on that title.

like leasing a car, at the end of the lease, you have to hand the car back, you don't own it to sell it on etc.

eula are complicated, and I admit, I've not read an Xbox game one, but the above has always made me wonder about selling games into the second hand market.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
So they aren't providing the servers to run the online gaming element?

Surely this is all included in the original £40 I pay new? Im not buying it, making a copy and then we are both are using it. IF I sell it, Im forfeiting my use of the game. Its no difference to the Publisher providing the online server for me for the rest of my life, or someone else instead of me. Its not like there's suddenly 2 or 3 or 4 people using the game like piracy, its still one.

Its not that I dont like change, I have every gadget going, but I dont see a value for money with digital media, and it confuses me as to why its sometimes MORE in price. When I buy a Game, I appreciate I am paying a premium, not only for the content, but for alot more things. Packaging, Printing, distribution, the labour for the person to put that item on a shelf and ring it through a till, the cost of renting the shop in the city centre, the cost of the electricity in the retail unit etc. As opposed to someone uploading a file to server (I am sure there is alot more labour invovled in this than I am giving for, but no where near the extent of producing a physical product and providing an outlet to obtain this product.

To me, publishers appear to be getting lazier, yet still expecting the same (or if paid DRM licenses go ahead, more) amount of the cake. Piracy is obviously costing them dear, they are failing to stop this, and as a result, punishing the genuine buyer. Not saying that is correct, but thats how it seems to a simpleton like me.

Mentioning leasing a car is irrelevant, Im buying the game, not renting it from Blockbuster and trying to sell it on. If you are leasing a car, you're paying s a significant amount less than the purchase price to borrow the car. Like you would a game from Blockbuster. Not buying anything.

Im guessing what I am not getting my head around is the fact Im not actually purchasing a product, Im purchasing a License it appears.

Last edited:
  Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Do you still buy CDs?

Yea, rip em to iTunes and put them on my phone. Leave the CD in my car too, although I admit I rarely play the disc once its uploaded to my phone TBH. I dont really listen to much new stuff, but the last CD I bought was Disclosure's album, so pretty recent.

Im not paying £7.99 for an Album on iTunes when I can buy it on CD for the same price.

I've bought 1x song on my iTunes. Oasis - Whatever, cause it wasn't on any of the albums I actually own (it was released as a single, and later on, On Time Flies, but as I have every album on CD was pointless getting the greatest hits one.

DB.

BMW 440i
Part of the value to others is the ability to simply download it as they want it and the convenience, rather than go to a shop and buy it etc, that value is probably greater to more than the value of having a hard copy these days.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Part of the value to others is the ability to simply download it as they want it and the convenience, rather than go to a shop and buy it etc, that value is probably greater to more than the value of having a hard copy these days.

Agreed, but again, proves they simply cannot please everyone. I totally get that.

I'm not been a "luddite" or denying the convenience, but they can get fucked if Im paying the same price ('or close to) for a digital copy.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
I actually can't remember the last time I walked into a shop and bought myself a cd.

Evidently, it appears not many others can, hence why they all go bust :(

Having a Collection of something is a good thing IMO. My mate must have 1000+ DVD's and blu rays, all neatly displayed in a proper cabinet in his living room. Thats awesome IMO. Far better than a f**king cloud ;)

I guess the point I wanted to try and make is this. Is it right that someone could have spent the last 10-15 years playing computer games but never paid the developers and publishers a penny? It probably warrants a new thread as its outside the discussion about Xbox.

I guess the point I wanted to try and make is this. Is it right that someone could have spent the last 10-15 years playing computer games but never paid the developers and publishers a penny? It probably warrants a new thread as its outside the discussion about Xbox.

In the long run, the preowned market helps the new (but that's obvious in the car market).

Hypothetically, I only buy new games, but I sell my old ones to fund the new. The person who buys mine can only ever afford half price games, hence pre-owned. If I couldn't sell mine, I can no longer buy new.

The only way this will work, is reducing the cost of digital games, this way everyone buys new at a reasonable price, with no need to resell. If they won't reduce the price of digital games, give me a reason to download it (as preorders do with DLC exclusives), provide downloads a week before disc release for example.

I used to be a DVD *****, at one point topping 500 DVDs on my shelves. But I soon realised digital was the way forward, now with 400+ stored on a HDD. I'll eventually do the same with games, but not at £50+ for a non resale-able item.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
I think it is probably better for another thread but I really can't see the benefits at the moment of buying digital.
For a start, you will not get a game cheaper as a digital copy from the store, especially when the likes of tesco/Asda have games as loss leaders.
On PSN I think The last of us is £60 for the standard edition. I just got the Ltd edition with a load of extras for £40 and I didn't have to wait for my ridiculously slow Internet to take a day to download the game.

I used to be like C. J with dvds but I've sold a load of them and will replace some with blu ray and I'll stream others. With films I only tend to watch a couple of times, games I play quite often.

Digital is obviously the future but they need to make some changes to really push the format IMO.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R

Ridiculous comment. Is it right that someone driving about in a 10 year old Ford Focus they bought on the second hand market is allowed to do so despite Ford not getting any "money" from the person who has it now? I sold a TV the other day, the guy who bought it gave me £100, not a penny of it went to Samsung, is this right?

Its no different to the original purchaser paying it for 15 years. Theres no piracy or duplication, simply a change in user. They've still had their original cut from the original sale price. No other product gets a cut from re sale of a product. Developers are failing to stop the rot that is piracy, and are attempting to make up for it for penalising the people purchasing!

I don't think that's what he's implying. I think the issue is more the fact that until this point in time the access to use said IP has been open ended, no lifespan as such and nobody figuratively knocking on your door to check your receipt for said IP. If you have a 1970's grandstand machine, an Amiga, a Master System, Super NES etc providing the hardware and media hasn't shat itself you've still got access to enjoy your purchase decades on. The XBone model brought in all kinds of questions over what happens when servers are shut down or whether you're left with a paperweight when MS withdraws support or ceases to exist if that happens in the future. This kind of mindset could be seen as backward or old fashioned but as with books, music, art etc games have thusfar purchased without the expectation of it effectively being a limited rental.

As mentioned though this difference of opinion by posters has dragged the thread off topic somewhat.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Another thought on the "always online".

Remember when Lulzsec hacked the PSN? I believe it was down for 24 days.

Imagine having a console where it needed to log in 24 hours, and the network was down. 24 days of not even been able to play an offline game?

Obviously an isolated, random incident, but do you think this is why Sony never suggested it?

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
So that's Fifa 14, BF4, Watch Dogs and Forza 5 on launch for me. LOL! Expensive month.

Nippy white cup
So that's Fifa 14, BF4, Watch Dogs and Forza 5 on launch for me. LOL! Expensive month.

Thats spot on for me too....but I wouldn't be able to find the time for them all tbh. I'll probs get Fifa and Forza for starters but the other 2 are up there as well! :(

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Thats spot on for me too....but I wouldn't be able to find the time for them all tbh. I'll probs get Fifa and Forza for starters but the other 2 are up there as well! :(

If I had to choose from the 4 it would be BF4 > FIFA14 > Watch Dogs > Forza 5.

I've been a little disappointed by the Forza 5 info and car lists being almost halved.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
They've not confirmed the car list yet. Only statement has been "hundreds".

A senior guy at E3 stated that they've significantly reduced the amount of cars but on the flip side every one of them will be detailed now for Autovista.

Guess we'll see but even so I'll still buy it. Would just rather much more individual cars than detailed cockpits. Beggars can't be choosers.

Swings and roundabouts. Some of the models dated back to Forza 1 (F40, S2000 NSX etc) even T10 it would appear had to give up and admit these assets were poorly modelled/inaccurate and needed to be scrapped rather than leave them sticking out like a sore thumb on a next gen title. We've gained open wheelers, they've also stated that the assets were graded then those that weren't good enough scrapped and remodelling started. So long as they've included or remodelled cars which get driven often rather than crap like the PT Cruiser etc then I can deal with a certain percentage cull on the car list.

Nippy white cup
I don't mind having less cars if the detail (in Forzavista mode at least) is this high....you end up only using a relativly small slection of cars anyway. The choice would be good but I reckon that Forza 6 will be the real one to watch. Considering the shortish amount of time Turn 10 have had to get this out it looks awesome so I imagine with a bit more time they might do something amazing....like allow white alloys?! lol