ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Xbox announced, tonight 18:00PM

Mito Sportiva 135
interesting article on the whole xbox1 vs. ps4, it is predicted that the ps4 will be 50% more powerful for gaming, due to the route MS took to make the xbox more of an entertainment device, MS might be trailing a bit this time around......

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one

what i found interesting was that its using 2 virtual machines inside to do all the multitasking between gaming and tv etc, so its a virtualised pc running a hypervisor.

In all the videos and reviews I've seen there's nothing to separate the One and PS4 - although someone at MS did sort of say they didn't make the hardware as top notch as it could have been as it would have been too expensive.

After the promises of the PS3 that it would rule the world I take it with a pinch of salt

Fiesta ST2 MP215
it will have to be cheaper than PS3 as PSnetwork is free to use, which makes it much more appealing to hard core campers on COD and the like.

plus if they do charge to use 2nd games it will probably fail, I think they should just stick to what EA do and use online passes for 800 points to use online etc.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
it will have to be cheaper than PS3 as PSnetwork is free to use, which makes it much more appealing to hard core campers on COD and the like.

plus if they do charge to use 2nd games it will probably fail, I think they should just stick to what EA do and use online passes for 800 points to use online etc.

​PS4 rather.

Evo 5 RS
Still quite a gap in capability again. Even though the PS4 is based on the same x86 Jaguar processor it's more than 50% faster in the graphics department.

Just a wee observation.

PS4_Xbox_One_memory.jpg.jpeg

Titanium 182
I think they should just stick to what EA do and use online passes for 800 points to use online etc.
EA have already said they're dropping online passes for next gen. Probably because it's pretty much made redundant by tieing games to a single account.

Sorry if I've put a dampener on the new Xbox for some people. It's because I'm just so disappointed by it. The 360 was the best console I ever owned and I had 100+ games for it at one point. I just think complacency has set in and they've lost their way a bit with this.

Then again, if it turns out to have better games than the PS4, I'll probably get one.

DB.

BMW 440i
Figures never portray the true story.

Eg. iPhone vs other similar specced phones or cars at similar power figures etc.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
If the additional 50% extra CU's in the GPU is confirmed as truth it won't equate to a 50% performance increase over the XBO. In real world terms I don't think the difference is going to be all that different despite the massive bandwidth advantage of the PS4. The embedded SRAM alleviates a chunk of unnecessary bandwidth usage at the cost of a more complicated architecture, by simply keeping data local and readily available and by employing some rather funky hardware encode/decode functions within it's design (effectively offering certain operations the ability to work for 'free' and/or with minimal clock cycles being needed). Like the PS3 had raw power advantage over Xbox360, it was never really evident in the resulting games. I expect the same thing will be seen here even though the PS4 allegedly has the stronger GPU. I'm sure more details will emerge from E3...

Titanium 182
Also, remember that the PS4 has 8GB of GDDR5 RAM, which is much less bandwidth restrictive than the XBO's 8GB of DDR3 RAM. All these things add up.

The PS3 had raw power, but because it was a completely custom chip, developers had no clue on how to exploit that power. They've not made the same mistake again this time.

ST1050, 320d
I'm keeping an open mind with this; I own a Ps3 and Xbox 360, but use the Ps3 90% of the time. The Bluray player sold it for me with current gen so obviously that's no longer a factor. I'll wait to hear more about price/games/specs before I make a decision.

Golf R32
I'll wait to see as well, though to be honest as I most likely be swayed towards the PS4, simply because that it what the majority of my mates will go for. I own a 360 & PS3, and I turned on my 360 for the first time in at least a year and the fan noise was so loud it annoyed be after 10 minutes. Forza is pretty much the only game i've played on the xbox in the last 2 years

From what I seen about the new Xbox following the reveal this video seems to sum it up

[youtube]KbWgUO-Rqcw[/youtube]

Evo 5 RS
If the additional 50% extra CU's in the GPU is confirmed as truth it won't equate to a 50% performance increase over the XBO. In real world terms I don't think the difference is going to be all that different despite the massive bandwidth advantage of the PS4. The embedded SRAM alleviates a chunk of unnecessary bandwidth usage at the cost of a more complicated architecture, by simply keeping data local and readily available and by employing some rather funky hardware encode/decode functions within it's design (effectively offering certain operations the ability to work for 'free' and/or with minimal clock cycles being needed). Like the PS3 had raw power advantage over Xbox360, it was never really evident in the resulting games. I expect the same thing will be seen here even though the PS4 allegedly has the stronger GPU. I'm sure more details will emerge from E3...

Andy, you know as well as I do the PS3 isn't a fair comparison :p. The Cell processor is still today a ridiculous minefield for developers. The PS4's advantage is much cleaner/simpler this time round (if you put aside power consumption). Although I agree there won't be a 50% increase in performance over the board when comparing titles, I think it's safe to say as far as exclusive titles are concerned there will be noticeable difference in quality. I suppose the more interesting point is that the extra bandwidth will go a long way to seeing whether it'll hold up at 4K res, maybe in a few titles capped at 30 frames per second? Doubt it though!

2002 clio 1.2dynamic
ill probably end up getting both but to begin with it will be xbox for me as i want forza 5 on release day

currently i have ps3 n xbox 360 and ps3 is sat down stairs as a blueray player in the family room

I have both the 360 and PS3 now. I'm not planning on getting the PS4, but definitely the Xbox One.

The PS4 may be the better console, it may not, but I prefer the Xbox controller/gaming experience. My PS3 isn't used at all anymore, I would sell it, but it's not worth it.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Also just hope the develop more 3D games, although I hate blackops 2, the 3D element makes it a tad more enjoyable.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
EA have already said they're dropping online passes for next gen. Probably because it's pretty much made redundant by tieing games to a single account.

Sorry if I've put a dampener on the new Xbox for some people. It's because I'm just so disappointed by it. The 360 was the best console I ever owned and I had 100+ games for it at one point. I just think complacency has set in and they've lost their way a bit with this.

Then again, if it turns out to have better games than the PS4, I'll probably get one.

So dissapointed by something you have yet to even touch............ oooooooooooooooo kayyyyyyyyy then!

I never cease to be amazed by the level of rabid fanboy behaviour with regards to machines they've never touched let alone used. I think the voice of reason would be to try and hold off making sweeping statements or judgements until at very least E3 assuming there are demo booths to make an informed judgement from. Same with the tech figures, IIRC the PS3 was technically superior but it made no difference in the end.

Titanium 182
I never cease to be amazed by the level of rabid fanboy behaviour with regards to machines they've never touched let alone used. I think the voice of reason would be to try and hold off making sweeping statements or judgements until at very least E3 assuming there are demo booths to make an informed judgement from. Same with the tech figures, IIRC the PS3 was technically superior but it made no difference in the end.
I am hardly a 'rabid fanboy'. I had an Xbox and and Xbox 360 as my main consoles for the last two generations, getting a PS2 and PS3 much, much later on down the line. Before the Xbox I was a PC gamer.

I am disappointed with the dashboard changes and media centre focus that the 360 has had for the last two years - too many ads (especially as I pay a subscription to their services) and focus on Netflix etc.
I am disappointed with the lack of core game focus of the new Xbox - this was also an issue with the PS3.
I am disappointed that they are trying to make a 'one box for all things' solution which has been tried before and failed.
I am disappointed with their approach to the second-hand games business. Renault doesn't get a cut of every used car that's sold, so why should Microsoft/the publishers? It doesn't affect me personally because I only buy new games, but it's the principle of the matter.
I am disappointed with the specs - although both the PS4 and Xbox One are both essentially low-end PCs, the PS4 still has better RAM capabilities and a better GPU.

I don't see why I have to physically have it in my hands in order to be disappointed by these things. If anything, it appears to be Xbox fanboys getting all defensive that I dare question the almighty Microsoft - they've never released anything shoddy before, right?

CBR1K, F21 125D
All well and good having all this processing power, but in a time where its already takes years to develop a game, who has the time, money and resource to expolit them?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
interesting article on the whole xbox1 vs. ps4, it is predicted that the ps4 will be 50% more powerful for gaming, due to the route MS took to make the xbox more of an entertainment device, MS might be trailing a bit this time around......

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-spec-analysis-xbox-one

what i found interesting was that its using 2 virtual machines inside to do all the multitasking between gaming and tv etc, so its a virtualised pc running a hypervisor.

But the PS3 is way more powerful than the XBox 360 on paper, doesn't make it a better console though.

I own both, I rarely use the PS3 now and it's mainly a glorified bluray player / media device, I prefer the XBox for gaming, I can see it being the same with the next gen consoles too.

Titanium 182
But the PS3 is way more powerful than the XBox 360 on paper, doesn't make it a better console though.
Because it was a heavily customised chip that developers couldn't exploit properly, as I've already explained. They have gone down the route of x86 this time, so that won't happen again, at least.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
I have both the 360 and PS3 now. I'm not planning on getting the PS4, but definitely the Xbox One.

The PS4 may be the better console, it may not, but I prefer the Xbox controller/gaming experience. My PS3 isn't used at all anymore, I would sell it, but it's not worth it.

+1

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Because it was a heavily customised chip that developers couldn't exploit properly, as I've already explained. They have gone down the route of x86 this time, so that won't happen again, at least.

Who said I was talking about graphics??? :S

There's more to it than that... games, controller, functionality, etc... there are a number of things I prefer on the 360.

Like I say I own both so have no affiliation to either

DB.

BMW 440i
There's more to it than that... games, controller, functionality, etc... there are a number of things I prefer on the 360.

Precisely, A Megane 225 may be more powerful than a BMW 125i Coupe, I know which I would rather be driving. Each have strengths and weaknesses and it's not a case of which is better, personal preference.

Can we stop bickering and comparing and just talk about the XBO now... :banghead:

DB.

BMW 440i
I really wish Xbox would incorporate Xbox Live membership into their prices to save the hassle, but I suppose it makes them far too much money to consider doing now.

I am hardly a 'rabid fanboy'. I had an Xbox and and Xbox 360 as my main consoles for the last two generations, getting a PS2 and PS3 much, much later on down the line. Before the Xbox I was a PC gamer.

I am disappointed with the dashboard changes and media centre focus that the 360 has had for the last two years - too many ads (especially as I pay a subscription to their services) and focus on Netflix etc.
I am disappointed with the lack of core game focus of the new Xbox - this was also an issue with the PS3.
I am disappointed that they are trying to make a 'one box for all things' solution which has been tried before and failed.
I am disappointed with their approach to the second-hand games business. Renault doesn't get a cut of every used car that's sold, so why should Microsoft/the publishers? It doesn't affect me personally because I only buy new games, but it's the principle of the matter.
I am disappointed with the specs - although both the PS4 and Xbox One are both essentially low-end PCs, the PS4 still has better RAM capabilities and a better GPU.

I don't see why I have to physically have it in my hands in order to be disappointed by these things. If anything, it appears to be Xbox fanboys getting all defensive that I dare question the almighty Microsoft - they've never released anything shoddy before, right?

I didn't address you so quite why you went off on a rant is beyond me. But if you want to take it personally, or subconsciously know you fit the demographic hence the resulting reaction then crack on.

Titanium 182
I didn't address you so quite why you went off on a rant is beyond me. But if you want to take it personally, or subconsciously know you fit the demographic hence the resulting reaction then crack on.
It's easy to misread written text, obviously. It wasn't ranty at all, just putting a reasoned post together. If you read it as a rant then I'm sorry about that.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
This thread reminds me of the Clio thread.

I have no idea what I want to do. Too early to tell. Will try and leave the PS Fanboi bottled up when I do decide to choose.

Evo 5 RS

The PS3's superiority was it's downfall. That is 100% not the case with the PS4. Sony have actually listened to developers, it's not a case of choosing a product months from launch, this time we have two products both of which are based on x86 architecture well known to anyone who's in the game, but one of them has more than double the memory bandwidth of the other. As long as there are improvements to PSN I can see the PS4 coming out on top this time round. Specification is an advantage as long as it's in the right direction, which this time it is.

Nickson

ClioSport Club Member
The PS3's superiority was it's downfall. That is 100% not the case with the PS4. Sony have actually listened to developers, it's not a case of choosing a product months from launch, this time we have two products both of which are based on x86 architecture well known to anyone who's in the game, but one of them has more than double the memory bandwidth of the other. As long as there are improvements to PSN I can see the PS4 coming out on top this time round. Specification is an advantage as long as it's in the right direction, which this time it is.

Reeeeeeeally? :rasp:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Andy, you know as well as I do the PS3 isn't a fair comparison :p. The Cell processor is still today a ridiculous minefield for developers. The PS4's advantage is much cleaner/simpler this time round (if you put aside power consumption). Although I agree there won't be a 50% increase in performance over the board when comparing titles, I think it's safe to say as far as exclusive titles are concerned there will be noticeable difference in quality. I suppose the more interesting point is that the extra bandwidth will go a long way to seeing whether it'll hold up at 4K res, maybe in a few titles capped at 30 frames per second? Doubt it though!
LOL! Seriously mate, the additional bandwidth isn't making a massive difference when it comes to games (in terms of the end results) across the platforms. I'm not doubting the PS4 has the (alleged) edge but a game running at 90fps vs the same game on another running at 95fps internally (then capped at 60fps) doesn't make much of a difference to the end result on a console. As for 4K res, it doesn't matter for gaming as games won't be running at 4K on these new consoles. They don't have the necessary grunt. They do support the minimum HDMI 1.4a spec (or whatever it currently is) of 30fps 4K resolution output though. For 4K gaming you would need a console akin to your PC mate! LOL! :D

As for exclusive titles it's a bit difficult to compare seeing as they are exclusive to one platform and won't be showing on another. Although Halo on PS4 would be cool... :p

Before I get slated for being a fanboy, I ain't! I'll be getting and enjoying both as I'm a fan of console gaming in general. Apart from Wii U. Which is s**t. :D Ultimately I'm just trying to point out that the difference between the platforms is not as big as press reports and mis-interpreted specs would have you believe... and you knowsit you s**t stirring PC-fanboi... ;) LMAO! xxx

Matt26 said:
I am disappointed with the dashboard changes
You haven't used it, its months from completion.

Matt26 said:
and media centre focus that the 360 has had for the last two years - too many ads (especially as I pay a subscription to their services) and focus on Netflix etc.
Microsoft are running a business. If adding ads and media are going to generates millions of dollars what would you do?

Matt26 said:
I am disappointed with the lack of core game focus of the new Xbox - this was also an issue with the PS3..
That's because E3 is next month.

Matt26 said:
There's a 3 way ecosystem battle going on between Microsoft, Apple and Google. Microsoft have a strong presence in people living rooms with the 360. Why wouldn't you want to build on that if it puts you in a stronger position?

Matt26 said:
I am disappointed with their approach to the second-hand games business. Renault doesn't get a cut of every used car that's sold, so why should Microsoft/the publishers? It doesn't affect me personally because I only buy new games, but it's the principle of the matter..
A valid concern but as details are still sketchy nobody can really comment yet.

Matt26 said:
As has been pointed out. I'd wait for E3, if the Xbox looks s**t against the PS4 then understandable.

Matt26 said:
If anything, it appears to be Xbox fanboys getting all defensive that I dare question the almighty Microsoft - they've never released anything shoddy before, right?
Is Xbox One a shoddy release? I am not sure how you can say that without actually using one.

DB.

BMW 440i
E3 will be deeeecent this year with all the details.

Tbh, me and most my mates will all be going for the Xbox One, purely as we had Xbox 360's and they always did the job/never a problem. Again, personal preference!

Titanium 182
You haven't used it, its months from completion.
I was referring to the existing 360 dashboard and how it's changed over the last few years.

Spoonie said:
Microsoft are running a business. If adding ads and media are going to generates millions of dollars what would you do?

Damn right Microsoft are running a business, and I am (was) a customer of theirs. I am now voting with my wallet because I don't like obtrusive ads plastered all over my games machine. I don't believe Sony and Nintendo are charities either, but they don't seem to be forcing loud ads into my face everywhere I go.

Your other responses are fair enough - let's see what happens. :)

Evo 5 RS
LOL! Seriously mate, the additional bandwidth isn't making a massive difference when it comes to games (in terms of the end results) across the platforms. I'm not doubting the PS4 has the (alleged) edge but a game running at 90fps vs the same game on another running at 95fps internally (then capped at 60fps) doesn't make much of a difference to the end result on a console. As for 4K res, it doesn't matter for gaming as games won't be running at 4K on these new consoles. They don't have the necessary grunt. They do support the minimum HDMI 1.4a spec (or whatever it currently is) of 30fps 4K resolution output though. For 4K gaming you would need a console akin to your PC mate! LOL! :D

As for exclusive titles it's a bit difficult to compare seeing as they are exclusive to one platform and won't be showing on another. Although Halo on PS4 would be cool... :p

Before I get slated for being a fanboy, I ain't! I'll be getting and enjoying both as I'm a fan of console gaming in general. Apart from Wii U. Which is s**t. :D Ultimately I'm just trying to point out that the difference between the platforms is not as big as press reports and mis-interpreted specs would have you believe... and you knowsit you s**t stirring PC-fanboi... ;) LMAO! xxx

I wasn't sure if in the future this would be a possibility. I know launch titles will be spewing out in yawn-worthy 1080! I think 4K is do-able on two way Titan GTX SLi. But then you'd need more than an AMD processor out of a tablet to achieve this lol.

It's not necessarily fair to compare exclusive titles I know, but won't there be a lot more headroom for shaders and more advanced DX11 features with the GDDR5? Also they've already demonstrated that the GPU can be used to do non-graphical processing such as physics. Already something the Xbox is going to struggle with, especially if they offload it onto the CPU. I'll eat my words if I'm wrong but I think the Xbox One has it's work cut out this time round.

Mito Sportiva 135
The whole media amalgamation thing might seem a bit strange now but it is where the market is going. Look at mobile phones - if someone had suggested what they would be like 10 years ago you would have laughed and said 'I just want a phone' - I bet most of you don't actually use their phones for calls and basic texts like I do.

Having said that though console companies need to remember the CORE purpose of a console is games and simplicity - otherwise we would get a PC. I am a little concerned after the unveil about lack of info on that front from MS but I think they had so many messages to get out they just got the balance a little wrong.

Let's wait until E3 or, better yet, when the consoles are both out and have some games under their belt.