ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Year - New Problem?

Clio 182 Cup
After a night of excessive drinking I stayed at a hotel for the night. Anyway when I got into the car to leave I had to turn out of a tight parking space so had the car a full lock to the right as I pulled away there was a sort of clunking noise and it felt as if the wheel was skidding as I made the turn. Once I had straightened up and drove home there seamed to be no problems. Anyway the same happened when I reversed out of the drive later in the day today but this time i had full lock on to the left.

Anyone have any ideas where I can start looking or to what the problem might be?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Sounds to me it could be a CV joint on the drive shaft or bottom ball joint but without looking at the car its hard to say.

Scott

Clio 182 Cup
Not being the most technically minded person how can I tell, is there a guide I can follow to check these things? I'm doing the learning by doing course on car maintenance and repair.

iirc the skidding part on full lock is normal. Remember reading it in a thread not long back.

The clunking will most likely be the top hat part of the mount hitting the suspension turret, Washers normally fix that

Have a look in the guides section or just search for the CV boot, there should be guides/pictures on what to look for.

It's basically a rubber cover around the driveshaft (coming out of gearbox), and is filled with oil - they have a habbit of coming off on the standard Renault clips, and can cause a clunking noise on full lock. Sometimes it means just reattaching the boot with a new clip (and filling it with grease first), but if it's left for too long can mean new driveshaft (iirc, not the most car-tech savvy person to be giving this advice!).