ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie Clio 182 Engine power loss after recent rebuild and belt change

Clio 182 FF
First post..

Traded my Fiesta zetec s mk6 for a clio 182 FF (55 reg 48000 miles). Not having much knowledge about these cars i bought without looking into the belt history. 1 week after owning the car, and some research i sent it into the garage for both belts doing including all tensioners and oil & filter change. The car hadn't had either belts done from new. while down at the garage the whole situation turned into a bit of a nightmare, the mechanic hadn't tightened the crankshaft pulley up enough ( didn't use gun) so when it was fired up the crankshaft pulley slipped and toasted the engine. He agreed to pay for all damage, head was sent off for skimming and new valves and job lot. Now the car seems less powerful than my before, my exhaust sounds to be blowing, im just hoping it is this! sounds to be coming from around the cat, could this cause power loss?

Clio 182 FF
they had all timing tools as far as im aware ( not sure about knowledge after blowing it up lol), they had the tool that you put into the end of both of your cam shafts to insure it is timed up correctly, i was there when he did this and he showed the tool went in smoothly. is there any other way to tell if your timing is out?

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
That tool you saw him put into the cams.... is probably the only bit they they had. There's more tools for the timing belt job on the F4R. To do it correctly anyway.

53 Clio's & counting
You really need to spin the engine (by hand) a few times and keep trying the tools to make sure it's spot on

Clio 182 FF
well when i was down there he showed me that the crank was locked in place with the tool near the oil filter area? and that the horse shoe fit into the end of the cam shafts. i'm considering taking it to jam sport in Northampton and have them check the engine timing over. it just doesnt seem to pull how it used to at 5000rpm :(

SQ5
The problem is there's not one place the pin will fit in, it will fit in a number of places but only one is TDC.

Clio 182 FF
Okay mate thanks for your help. i'm seriously doubting the work he has down now. iv been reading that if its the slightest bit out it can loose the 5000rpm kick. can the timing be adjusted without having all the belts back off?

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
AFAIK , the belts have to come back off to adjust the timing.

they guy sounds like he shouldnt be aloud near engines..... ( not the OP btw )

182cup & 172 racecar
well when i was down there he showed me that the crank was locked in place with the tool near the oil filter area? and that the horse shoe fit into the end of the cam shafts. i'm considering taking it to jam sport in Northampton and have them check the engine timing over. it just doesnt seem to pull how it used to at 5000rpm :(

Take it to Fred at B'ham instead.

172 Race Car
Mine was out on my old phase1. Dyno'd at 142bhp. Retimed and an induction kit and it was up to 180bhp

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
You can reset the timing without removing the belt

This is correct :) Just need to lock the crank in the correct position with timing pin.... pop camshaft rear oil seals out.... look at the cams see if you can see how far out they are.... also the camshaft timing tool wont go in if so. Reset the cams....... & using the correct tools.... including camshaft pulley holding tool.... tightening everything back up.