ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie - thinking of getting a Cup

Hi. Im new.

Own a 205 GTi at the mo, but want something similar but more modern with less problems. A 172 Cup sounds good to me, but i just did a search under problems, and it seems as if there can be a few. Is it really that bad?

Oh, and do they do a Cup version of the new 182?

And how do you think a Cup compares to a 306 Rallye?

Cheers:D

All new cars have problems, no matter what make... there wouldnt be a lot of point posting up "drove my car around today, no problems!!" so youll read about a lot of issues - because thats the only time some people need to post!

Clio v6

Welcome to Cliosport.

They dont do a Cup version of the 182. There is an option for a similar suspension set up, which the 172 Cup has.

btw. What is it about llamas you love?

:)

get the Cup, youll be glad you did. dont listen to all the fools with their silly little 182s, they are just jealous that our cups are faster than their cars

Remapped derv Golf

Is a williams more modern than a 205 though???? ;)

Could save a few bob a get a williams. Would suit a 205 fan more than a cup

CLIO WILLIAMS #0215

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 17 April 2004

Is a williams more modern than a 205 though???? ;)
cheeky git!!! lol but remember the williams has a lot of prestige to it!!!;)

modern enough;) besides the williams looks the dogs dangles get a willy 3 u get everything e/w, e/m, e/s/r, pas, ABS the looks and power n handling and cheaper to buy it

Well my 205 is a 1993, so not much difference between that and a Williams really. Besides, the driving position is really offset in the old Clio, and its put me off before.

Ideally wanting something a year or two old which would (hopefully) be less problematic.

And the love of llamas- ive just come back from South America. ;)

Quote: Originally posted by llamalover on 17 April 2004

Well my 205 is a 1993, so not much difference between that and a Williams really. Besides, the driving position is really offset in the old Clio, and its put me off before.

Ideally wanting something a year or two old which would (hopefully) be less problematic.

And the love of llamas- ive just come back from South America. ;)
not much difference!? lol, u kidding, the Willy was at the start of its production, the 205 was at the end. if I were gonna get a 172 I would get the 172 exclusive.

The Williams or any Mk1 Clio is a definite step towards modernity over the 205s Ive been it and to be fair theyre closer to the new Mk2 Clio interiors than the 205 is to the Mk1 Clio. Id personally argue that the newer contenders havent moved the game on from the Williams/16V, which IMO were the only better handling pair of hatches than the 205 GTi (simply because they wont throw you into a hedge with such enthusiasm and are more controlable).

To be fair though, most Willy/16Vs wont be a big step up in terms of reliability and it sounds as if you want a new car. The new breed of Renault hot hatch may suffer from similar problems as their older relatives in time, but for the moment theyre good cars and probably come with the balance of warranty. Better bet than a 206 GTi anyway.