ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Having a hunt around the internet for info and came across this site so have joined , just bought a clio cup race car to convert into a road legal rally car , also bought a 52 plate clio sport road car for donor parts , will be putting a thread up along the way with loads of pictures of how it was done.

Cheers Ian

Last edited by a moderator:

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
am i missing something but surely a clio isnt the best car to have as a rally car

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Brakes look standard , albeit with better pads , suspension is Renault sport , way too hard for rallying or road use , I drove it round the trading est the other day and it was bouncing everywhere , way too hard.
Looking at options now for suspension

lbrench

ClioSport Club Member
  F250 6.7 / VW GLI.
clio is not a great rally car, a subaru or evo is a great rally car

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
Brakes look standard , albeit with better pads , suspension is Renault sport , way too hard for rallying or road use , I drove it round the trading est the other day and it was bouncing everywhere , way too hard.
Looking at options now for suspension

oo snap!

just let me know if you need any help with it, i used to work for a clio team and ran these cars for a few years.

260% JCW
am i missing something but surely a clio isnt the best car to have as a rally car

Looks good to me.

373_1602GErg7GevaPLJ.jpg

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
clio is not a great rally car, a subaru or evo is a great rally car

cost per performance per fun per service and parts.. i doubt ull find something more sensible..

i guess you have the fiesta sts, saxos and 106s to contend with but dont forget.. clios own porsches on twisties so a group n 172 will be a weapon

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
The new WRC cars will either be 2lt NA or 1.6 turbo ,both with 4WD , should be good with a lot more manufacturers getting iinvolved , in its current state its getting boring with everybody chasing but not catching Citroen.

ibrench , whats wrong with a Clio ? any car can be made into a quick rally car , they are very good as a track car , my son was at castle coombe the other week in his 360hp EVO and struggled to pass a clio cup race car , they are a very quick car , I'm expecting to get some good results with it. as for saxo's fiesta's and 106's , they won't get a sniff , some Nova's will be hard to beat as they are getting stupid HP out of those , a mate of mine had a 1.4 nova with 204hp at 11k revs !!

As for the Impreza's , with more power the clio wouldn't be far off a clubman spec one , the WRC's would to too quick , but my car will be under £15k all finished , you can stick another nought on that figure for a WRC car ! as yes I do know as I have a clubman spec Impreza aswell

111.jpg

The clio

110.jpg

106.jpg

Cheers Ian

RS 182 CUP
Can I have your wheels? Pretty please... Clio looks well nice mate, Dow like scoobys or evos any more, they just remind me of max power magazine!

260% JCW
Whats that box of tricks where the handbrake was? Look forward to your write up and spec list.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Can I have your wheels? Pretty please... Clio looks well nice mate, Dow like scoobys or evos any more, they just remind me of max power magazine!

Sorry need the wheels as it won't go as fast without them lol

I'm assuming you own Godspeed?

Yes I do

Whats that box of tricks where the handbrake was? Look forward to your write up and spec list.

That all the electrics , ignition , rear lights and indicators , windscreen washer/wipers ect , I need to get more wiring done as there's no front lights

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Welcome Ian. Looking forward to seeing the process with the Cup car. Looks fantastic! How much did the car set you back may I ask?

You are missing lots. Thats been obvious for a long while.

Nice FIAT by the way.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Rallying is something i'd really love to be able to afford to do. I had a little taster of it a few years back and it demands so much more knowledge of car control than track driving does. My dad used to be a co-driver and compete in national events back in the 80's so i kinda grew up around rally cars to a certain extent.

I've got alot of respect for rally drivers!

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
Welcome Ian, good to have you on here - I'm sure you'll have people attracted to your wealth of brake-knowledge very quickly.

Reassuring to see Mark has breathed on the cup too

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
The new WRC cars will either be 2lt NA or 1.6 turbo ,both with 4WD , should be good with a lot more manufacturers getting iinvolved , in its current state its getting boring with everybody chasing but not catching Citroen.

ibrench , whats wrong with a Clio ? any car can be made into a quick rally car , they are very good as a track car , my son was at castle coombe the other week in his 360hp EVO and struggled to pass a clio cup race car , they are a very quick car , I'm expecting to get some good results with it. as for saxo's fiesta's and 106's , they won't get a sniff , some Nova's will be hard to beat as they are getting stupid HP out of those , a mate of mine had a 1.4 nova with 204hp at 11k revs !!

As for the Impreza's , with more power the clio wouldn't be far off a clubman spec one , the WRC's would to too quick , but my car will be under £15k all finished , you can stick another nought on that figure for a WRC car ! as yes I do know as I have a clubman spec Impreza aswell

Cheers Ian

Oh Hai!!

4980376645_a71ff98d27_b.jpg

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Welcome Ian. Guy i know has converted his racer to rally spec too, he's running ast 5300s on his. He peaks pretty highly of them.

GTD, Lupo
Looking forward to this :D Car looks stunning. Guess that wont be the case for long.

Keep us posted.

Paul