ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

newbie with a clio cup race car

Clio 172 Cup; A3 3.2
had 'your' brakes on my Scooby and was well pleased. so would be interesting to see if you can come up with something!! and with me probably enough others for a group buy...

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Liking the car, ive got a cup racer which is converted to RHD so if you have any questions just PM me. Looks like and ex TCR car that like mine, interior is the right colour for it.

Loving the hairdryer in the corner of the dash aswell, the heater/blower on them really is poor.

Last edited:

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Love that, can't think of a better track car for the money really!

Hi Ian, welcome to the forum. There are a few of us - how shall I put it - more serious motorsport competitors on here, as well as all the other (lovely) Renault petrol heads. I for one would be really interested to see a build thread. Bring it on, please.

Neil

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Well made a start on the car today , removed the engine and box , the box has been sent off to have a lower crown wheel and pinion fitted to lower the top speed and bring the gears closer , I have order suspension from Reiger which should be ready in a few weeks , while the engine is out we can modify the bulkhead to change it to RHD , its off next week to have the wiring donethen .
I have a guy round the other day taking details and measurements to make me a kevlar tank and sump guard

I have entered a rally on the 28th December so need to get moving on it now , its going to be a close call to get it ready in time

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I will be , the brakes are pretty shot on it now , so needs new discs and pads , I'll be putting some AP 4 pots on it in the new year but for now it will be standard calipers , grooved discs and bluestuff pads

Clio 172 cup, 106 rallye
Try pat flyn of the 205 and BMW challenge. His daughter ella sits in a 172 rally car and pat also runs a Clio cup on the brcc.

Steve

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
How much are the Reiger's costing if you dont mind me asking? They are something i would like to get for mind in the future.

BMW Z4
The new WRC cars will either be 2lt NA or 1.6 turbo ,both with 4WD , should be good with a lot more manufacturers getting iinvolved , in its current state its getting boring with everybody chasing but not catching Citroen.

ibrench , whats wrong with a Clio ? any car can be made into a quick rally car , they are very good as a track car , my son was at castle coombe the other week in his 360hp EVO and struggled to pass a clio cup race car , they are a very quick car , I'm expecting to get some good results with it. as for saxo's fiesta's and 106's , they won't get a sniff , some Nova's will be hard to beat as they are getting stupid HP out of those , a mate of mine had a 1.4 nova with 204hp at 11k revs !!

As for the Impreza's , with more power the clio wouldn't be far off a clubman spec one , the WRC's would to too quick , but my car will be under £15k all finished , you can stick another nought on that figure for a WRC car ! as yes I do know as I have a clubman spec Impreza aswell

111.jpg

The clio

110.jpg

106.jpg

Cheers Ian

Project looks great and I love the look of the super 16 myself. Can anyone tell me where you can buy that dash? I have seen that now in a few race cars but can't seem to find who sells it.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
The dash was supplied by Renault sport , not sure if you can still buy them , I need to swap the 'pod' over to the right side , the dash is only made of plastic so whatever I cut out of the drivers side to fit the dash i'll have plastic welded into the hole in the passenger side and then get the dash flocked

The suspension is costing £2600 + vat , which for what your getting is a bargain , still hoping they haven't cocked up on the price as I was expecting double that from Reiger !
They sent me this email of a kit they made for another car to give me an idea of what i'll be getting

rieger.jpg

Cheers Ian

BMW Z4
I was looking at AST's for my race car project. They are around £1500 what are you getting for your extra £1100 apart from some nice very very nice anodising and dangly bits that is :)

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I was looking at AST's for my race car project. They are around £1500 what are you getting for your extra £1100 apart from some nice very very nice anodising and dangly bits that is :)

The suspension I am having is 3 way , the cans you see have 3 adjustments , high speed bump , low speed bump , and rebound , you can fine tune how the suspension reacts on different surfaces.

The suspension you are having are only adjustable for height , and are very basic to the ones I have ordered , AST also make 3 way suspension with a retail over £4k , I expected the Reigers to be over £5k as they are the best of the best , in the back of my mind I still think they have quoted me wrong , so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the next 3-4 weeks until they arrive :D

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
The dash was supplied by Renault sport , not sure if you can still buy them , I need to swap the 'pod' over to the right side , the dash is only made of plastic so whatever I cut out of the drivers side to fit the dash i'll have plastic welded into the hole in the passenger side and then get the dash flocked

The suspension is costing £2600 + vat , which for what your getting is a bargain , still hoping they haven't cocked up on the price as I was expecting double that from Reiger !
They sent me this email of a kit they made for another car to give me an idea of what i'll be getting

rieger.jpg

Cheers Ian

There will only be small holes where the bincale use to be from the rivets and 1 hole about 12mm big where the plug for the display comes through. So you shouldnt need to cut or plastic weld anything really, Just a bit of fibreglass to fill the holes should do the job.

£2600 does sound very cheap, If that is the price than you have just thrown a spanner in the works for me lol. I was going to get ITB's next but a nice set of Reigers might be on the cards now.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
Had a good run on it today and the steering wheel is on the proper side now :D finally received the bulkhead bracket from cliospares after waiting for about 6 weeks for it ! , so removed the dash , the fuse box in the footwell , measured where to fit it and welded it in place , and took a nibbler to the bulkhead and cut the hole out for the steering column to fit through , refitted the subframe and the RHD rack to make sure it all fits and works correctly.
Just need to sort out the pedal box now , the nibbler will be back in action to cut the bulkhead to fit the servo ect on monday.
My cup suspension I sent to Holland for them to measure to make the new stuff was sent back to me yesterday so hopefully by mid week I should have the car back to get it mobile so I can trailer it to the electrician to sort the wiring out.

The gearbox should be back with me mid week as well , they said the gears were looking fine so nothing needs doing apart from changing the CW&P and some bearings and gaskets

So its all coming together , hopefully it should be ok for the rally the end of Dec.

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
The suspension turned up today , I had my doubts it would at the quoted price so over the moon it did

This is a Renault Bilstein strut
d9852948.jpg

And this is whats replacing it
996e78e2.jpg

8a113dd4.jpg

94528616.jpg

4d9df418.jpg

Just need to get them on and set the heights , then the job of setting them somewhere close for rallying in the lanes.

Had the gearbox back from a strip , check and have a change of crown wheel and pinion to bring the top speed down
fcb1ec13.jpg

70914070.jpg

98292033.jpg

Was hoping to get more done over christmas but caught flu the day I broke up and haven't been out of the house for nearly a week !

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Where the Reigers that price because you are in the trade or was the retail price? really thinking about getting a set of these.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Love the look and sound of this project. Is it ph1 or ph2? I'd love more pics of it how it was before as I'm thinking of doing something a little out of the ordinary on my trophy

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
It is a Ph2 car , there are some other pics at the start of the thread of the car itself.

Got the rear fitted on yesterday , the breather for the tank is in the way of the O/S can on the bottom of the shock , so will have to move the breather pipe , apart from that it all fits nicely

bea98e34.jpg

396071cc.jpg

When I get a mo I'll fit the front on !

ian-speedy

ClioSport Club Member
  clio cup race car
I haven't touched the car for 6 months as I have been so busy in work , I have had the cage modified in the last month so it has an X bar on the drivers side now ( now RHD ) and I have had seat rails welded into the floor rather than using those flimsy OMP ones the car came with.
It was sent off last week to have a completely new wiring loom made for it , was going to just add to it for front lights ect , but as I wanted all the data logging taken out , and that horrendous fuse box , it was best to start from scratch , I'm hoping to get it back in about a week then I'm ready to refit the engine and box.

Been busy buying a new van and trailer , started off with a bog standard 2.5 VW transporter panel van

van8.jpg

van5.jpg

van4.jpg

A Ferrari red paint job , coilovers , 22" wheels , Recaro CS's , rears seat recovered to match , and fully boarded and carpeted , side and rear windows , an awesoome sound system , finished off with a Hybrid turbo and mapped to 190hp !

c3165ef5.jpg

ec30560b.jpg

e9b51156.jpg

46477432.jpg

4547dc97.jpg

bf90bdc8.jpg
]

Bought a trailer last weekend , wanted a fully covered one to keep the car safe if we are out overnight , and to keep it clean getting to the events so got a Brian James RS3

718105c8.jpg

4190df4f.jpg

Just need to get the car finished to fill the trailer now lol , I'll include some up to date pictures of the car when it comes back from the electricians