ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nintendo Switch

Clio
Picked up the one with grey controllers at a midnight launch, and picking one up wit coloured controllers in a couple of hours.

I didn't know which to get, so pre ordered both! Still don't know which one I want!

Noticed that if you buy the coloured joy cons seperwtely you get the opposites of what's provided with the coloured joy Con console - meaning you can have all red or all blue.

I still can't decide what I want - must say the grey looks less like a "toy" and more sleek! Help me! Lol
Yay!!! Unboxing?

Honda. Tesla Someday
Yay!!! Unboxing?

You do make me smile Mace!

I was going to, but every damn big YouTuber received theirs a week and a half ago and they've kinda unboxed it to death!!

I'm going to make a different type of video - and will skip the unboxing section! I am now in possession of a Grey Nintendo Switch, a Neon Nintendo Switch, standard edition Zelda and a Limited Edition Zelda with statue!

Need to decide wtf I am keeping! £710 is a stupid amount for this stuff!

Edit: I haven't made a video since December because I've been extremely sick. Today is the first day I feel a little better and have just come out of a private hospital (god bless private healthcare - seriously). So I will be getting back in to YouTube video creation shortly!!

Clio
You do make me smile Mace!

I was going to, but every damn big YouTuber received theirs a week and a half ago and they've kinda unboxed it to death!!

I'm going to make a different type of video - and will skip the unboxing section! I am now in possession of a Grey Nintendo Switch, a Neon Nintendo Switch, standard edition Zelda and a Limited Edition Zelda with statue!

Need to decide wtf I am keeping! £710 is a stupid amount for this stuff!

Edit: I haven't made a video since December because I've been extremely sick. Today is the first day I feel a little better and have just come out of a private hospital (god bless private healthcare - seriously). So I will be getting back in to YouTube video creation shortly!!
Zelda is so tempting but she would kick my ass if I bought one. I don't even think I blag the excuse its for the little un.

Best of luck with the health. Maybe an undying video?

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Zelda seems very good so far. It's a great little console though, it seems really well made and thought out. Hopefully they'll release a lot (and well priced) of games.

I2iYIlB.jpg

Keep the grey, it's far more sophisticated ;)

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
The advert came on TV earlier & my daughter said "can I have one for my birthday" seems like my subliminal messages have worked [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
It took a long time for decent games to come out for the Wii U, I can't see this being any different tbh.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I've spent another few hours on Zelda today and it seems a good little game. It'll all be about Mario Kart when that comes out though :up:

Honda. Tesla Someday
I kept the grey and honestly so far I really like it!
When the joy cons are docked to the switch I find that my hands are too big to play comfortably!
Attaching the joy cons to the joy con grip is way more comfy for me!

Zelda so far is excellent!

Goliath I
Gonna give it a good few months to see what Nintendo deliver before buying the console. I refuse to pay £340 just play a Zelda game

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yep, that's where I'm at, I'd love to play Zelda but at this stage its basically a Zelda console.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, that's where I'm at, I'd love to play Zelda but at this stage its basically a Zelda console.
That's my concern... will it get the support it needs to become more than just a Zelda and Mario Kart console? Hopefully it will. Nintendo don't want another Wii-U on their hands.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
That's my concern... will it get the support it needs to become more than just a Zelda and Mario Kart console? Hopefully it will. Nintendo don't want another Wii-U on their hands.
I think Nintendo should slide down their ivory tower somewhat. Make it easier for devs to make games for the platform and promote the hardware accordingly.

I've little interest in the cutesy Jap stuff. My Donkey Kong days are firmly left in the 80s, but admittedly I'd be intrigued with Mario Kart. It just doesn't have the pulling power as a device for me to even consider buying one.

And when part of the TV ad shows milking a cow as a competitive 'game' - surely that will have the novelty level measured in seconds?

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
How does it stand up hardware wise?
I know nothing about it, or consoles in general, but if it doesn't have the latest and greatest technology built in, then it isn't going to appeal to the masses?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
How does it stand up hardware wise?
I know nothing about it, or consoles in general, but if it doesn't have the latest and greatest technology built in, then it isn't going to appeal to the masses?
It's a long way behind the PS4 and Xbox One in terms of hardware and raw power. It means that cross-platform games are not easy to convert to run on the platform (assuming Nintendo ever allows 'outsiders' to develop for it).

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
It's a long way behind the PS4 and Xbox One in terms of hardware and raw power. It means that cross-platform games are not easy to convert to run on the platform (assuming Nintendo ever allows 'outsiders' to develop for it).
I don't really understand Nintendo's strangle-hold over external development. Surely they should be promoting SDKs and other applications for it?

As you say - it's a long way behind the performance of the current crop of consoles - and those are already well established. A quirky, underpowered device with an horrendously expensive per-title/miniature games catalogue, needs all the help it can get.

They can't expect the masses to buy a new console, then pay the consoles' value again for just three or four exclusives. That's taking brand narcissism to a whole new level.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I don't really understand Nintendo's strangle-hold over external development. Surely they should be promoting SDKs and other applications for it?
I really don't understand their business model (although Japanese business and culture obviously can be a lot different to what we are used to over here). They have always been 'difficult' to work with and this is still very much the case today. I remember the difficulties we had in pitching games and ideas to Nintendo back in the late 90's and the constant rejections and setbacks for so many different reasons. Whilst the likes of Sega, Sony et al were lapping up the games and ideas Nintendo were rejecting pretty much all third party developers in favour of keeping things in-house or with their first-party AAA developers. This is very much a pattern we still see today.

I also find it interesting that Nintendo still aren't prepared to subsidise the hardware costs of their new platforms, hence choose to look at novel uses of technology on lesser hardware (when compared to rivals like Sony and Microsoft). Whereas Sony and Microsoft typically lose money on their console hardware sales they soon make it back through software sales. This is an approach that I think Ninty should follow (unless they are worried that they won't see the necessary [consistently] strong sales needed that ultimately results in profit). The fact that Ninty are so distant and dismissive of many development studios is frustrating and I think it will do them further harm in the long run. They can't even rely on the strength of sales in their home territory of Japan like they used to. The last few years have seen Nintendo make operating losses for the first time in their history yet they don't seem to want to adopt a different way of working in terms of delivering new systems and games to the masses.

It's so frustrating - I am actually a massive Nintendo fan. But I'm just sick of buying relatively expensive hardware that has limited gaming appeal. Sure, the Mario and Zelda games are typically some of the best games out there but I'd like to see a greater range of titles and a more diverse selection available for purchase. Maybe even some 'adult' games - i.e. not cutesy, something like Battlefield to pick a game at random. I just don't see how Nintendo can currently compete with the likes of Sony and Microsoft. Ah, of course there will be those who say they aren't trying to compete... fair enough. But when they've tried to create their own niche with recent console releases it hasn't been met with great success. I have enough Nintendo branded doorsteps around the house at present (like the fitness board thing) and don't really want any more! Hopefully the games will come and the Switch success assured. I'm not jumping in to buy this one though as I have done with pretty much all the other consoles they've released.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
There's no way I'm buying a handheld console that only runs at 720p. Had a brief play with one earlier on.. the right thumbstick is in the wrong place!

malcolmgt

ClioSport Club Member
  MK Golf GTI
I'm a big Nintendo fan and really fancied the U but decided to wait for the switch. Basically love Zelda games.

I cannot warrant spending £350 for it though! Not that you can buy them from most stores at the moment.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I popped round to visit a friend briefly last night and had a quick play on Zelda. Yep - the game is fantastic from the brief play I had... but... I was very disappointed to see the game struggling to maintain 30fps at times when 'docked' (albeit only for very brief and infrequent moments in time). It plays, and looks, better in 'undocked' mode at 720p. The lack of antialiasing isn't too pleasant on the eyes on a decent TV but on portable it looks just fine. Ultimately the important thing is that the game genuinely seems to be a stonker but, as @malcolmgt says, I'm not sure I would drop £350 just to play Zelda. I even have to confess I'm not much of a fan of Mario Kart these days as I'm a bit fed up of playing them from previous Nintendo console releases.

malcolmgt

ClioSport Club Member
  MK Golf GTI
I think ill wait to play one in a shop or something, so poor it isn't 1080 either!

Surely "docked" is when it should be its best?!?

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I think ill wait to play one in a shop or something, so poor it isn't 1080 either!

Surely "docked" is when it should be its best?!?
It should be better when docked (in theory) but the jump up to 900p seems to cause a bit of an issue - hence the 720p undocked plays smoother. I wonder if it's something to do with limited bandwidth as I think the GPU clocks pretty much stay the same whether the system is docked / undocked. Maybe it's an early teething problem, along with the dodgy screens! These things happen though, such is technology these days.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Nintendo have always been about the games themselves rather than the hardware. Its all about having genuine fun playing the games, graphics and high resolution comes second. I can appreciate this.

malcolmgt

ClioSport Club Member
  MK Golf GTI
im all about the games but it isn't hard to get some good quality products and definition.

Nintendo are just sour as they thought they were being clever keeping all their tech to themselves and their games but in fact they have just limited their market and are so far behind others its untrue.

Its like Xbox, PC and Playstation are super cars and Nintendo are a Nissan Micra.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Really want one of these but will wait towards end of the year when I'll have spare cash
Fcuk paying 300+ for Zelda

Been on ocarina of time 3D on the DS lately
It's brought back so many memories
Awesome game

Honda. Tesla Someday
My review is almost done, should be live tonight hopefully! Just got to add some finishing touches!

Honda. Tesla Someday
Is anyone playing anything apart from Zelda?

I downloaded the Snippedclipper demo and it's quite fun! Zelda has my soul though lol

Clio
I like it, good video. Some bits you could have slowed down a bit but the whole production of the video is spot on. Maybe show a bit more of the in game action would have helped.

I want to play Zelda.