ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No compromise Supercharged ek9 progress thread

Charged Superleggera
Well i think this project thread is long overdue now so here is the build up of my supercharged ek9 so far:

Some of you may remember my clio, which was genuinley my pride and joy for the last 3 years but i got to a stage earlier on in the year where there was nothing else i could do to it so i felt i needed a new challenge. I could never in a million years imagine selling the clio before but i just felt it was time to let go and move onto something abit more special with a greater potential. The faithful old clio:

GetAttachmentCA991D3P.jpg

GetAttachmentCA97WVSA.jpg

IMGP9919-2.jpg

DSC_0704.gif

I first spotted the ek9 on pistonheads but the previous owner was someone that i knew before anyway and i heard that he was thinking about selling up because he needed something more practical for work. The car was on 78k miles, imported in 1997 and first registered in dundee (hense the last 3 letters on the registration, TTS). I actually managed to speak to the guy who first imported it aswell and managed to get a few extra details about it, which was handy. It also featured:

C's Compressor Roots Type superchargerCharger
c's ecu
TEIN superstreet Fully Adjustable Coilovers
Miracle Cross Bar
98 spec jdm DC2 Manifold
Spoon N1 exhaust
Buddy Club Racing Spec Condenser
Standard Ek9 Wheels
magnetic sump plug
yellow stuff brake pads
Exedy stage 2 organic racing clutch
Uprated map sensor
Thicker head gasket
Stainless middle section

Fully Fitted TOAD Alarm With 2 Fob's
Fully Under-sealed
MOT'd Till May 2011
Taxed Until October 2010
Timing Belt Done 10,000Km ago
Serviced 500 Miles Ago With Silkolene Pro & HAMP Oil Filter & Gear Box Oil With Honda MTF
4 x New Toyo T1R's Covered Under 500 Mile's
New Red Honda Badge's Also Fitted As Others Were Faded

ekfrontlf6.jpg

DSC_0083copy.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

4001161749_7a95cecdcd.jpg

4001163783_12afdcc868.jpg

4001928668_cc41665e05.jpg

4001167403_16d40d0451.jpg

So i got in touch with him and organised to view the car in the weekend. I had never been in an ek9 before let alone a supercharged one so i was certainly looking forward to it. Anyways saturday came and after letting it warm up and getting out of town we went for what i can only describe as one of the most memorable b road blasts i have ever had. The power and torque was crazy for such a light, small car, grippin barely in 3rd gear in the dry. Also it handled like it was on rails with the limited slip differential (LSD) and the tein coilovers. Interiour wise, considering it was a 13 year old car, it was a nice place to be and the recaros were awsome in every way. The sound of the whining superchager was something else. The car was a real cracker and as soon as i stepped out of the car i was in love. I got back in the clio to go home and it just didnt feel right. It felt like a bit of me remained in the ek9 and i think it was at that point i realised that it was time to part company with the clio.

I was still very new to hondas and before i commited myself to the sale i want a friend, who has been around hondas alot longer than i have and who has a highly tuned b16'd civic to give the car a once over. Thankfully all was well and i left the guy a £200 deposit and it was taken off pistonheads. A deal was done that would include the spoon n1 exhaust but not the volk te37's, which was something that pissed me off because the original deal was that the rays would be included at the agreed price. I would instead get a set of original enkei ek9 wheels, half of which were red and half were white. I still decided to go ahead with it and i Spoke to the bank the next day and got the money a few days later so my mate Ben (Brembo) took me through to pick it up. A final once over on the car, money counted, all papers sighned and it was all mines :D

The cash(minus deposit) i parted with:

CIMG3138.jpg

Drove it home safely and the morning after the night before it sits on my drive waiting for its first bath:

CIMG3146.jpg

CIMG3149.jpg

CIMG3181.jpg

CIMG3182.jpg

CIMG3177.jpg

CIMG3176.jpg

I knew the car needed abit of work and elbow grease to bring it back to its former glory but then again thats what makes great projects. I couldnt get much sleep the night i got it so i woke up nice and early to give it a clean. My mate ben poped by aswell and he took a few pics before i started

P1012372.jpg

P1012374.jpg

P1012375.jpg

After a good wash and hoover of the inside it looked alot better.

CIMG3412.jpg

CIMG3411.jpg

At this point i was still driving the clio and i wasnt insured on ethe ek9 as it was much cheaper to run being a 1.2 and the money i saved could be put into the ek9. When i bought the car, the original ek9 exhaust was put back on the car so the spoon was sitting in the garage looking pretty, which is a massive waste so that was the first thing to go on.

out with the old:

CIMG3423.jpg

and in with the new:

CIMG3245.jpg

CIMG3242.jpg

CIMG3235.jpg

CIMG3236.jpg

on the car:

Photo0627.jpg

After doing a fair bit of research into the car before buying it i stumbled accross its sister car, which is also a 1997 prefacelift with the exact same c's charger set up. It used to be in scotland belonging to Ant and then it was bought by another ek9.org member(aza) and now stays in england i believe. Both of these guys were very helpful and helped clarify a few things for me, which i was not too sure about so big thanks to them.

Only difference between them is that my car has a c's ecu, whilst Ants car had its c's ecu nicked at the docks so he had to invest in a dta s40 pro standalone. Also it was imported roughly at same time, which kind of got me thinking about the possibility that both cars were maybe part of a race team in japan, however im not entirely convinced about this because both of them dont really look as if they have had a hard life or been scarred up on track. Also because i wasnt sure what the internal spec of mines was i would probably say they could had the same internal work done but only a dyno run will prove this, which is another reason why im looking forward to getting mines mapped.

This was the car at its best when ant had it before selling up:

06-03-08013.jpg

06-03-08015.jpg

06-03-08018.jpg

ek9enginebay.jpg

ek9compressor.jpg

A few more pics and details that may interest some:

Miracle cross bar-possibly the most over-engineered rear strut brace ever made. I have allways been a huge admirer of great craftsmanship and this is simply an amazing piece of engineering for a strut brace. Tighens up all 4 corners of the car nicely and is adjustable from all 4 corners. Not the cheapest as well at around £400 for what is basically just a rear strut brace :eek:

Photo0801.jpg

Photo0789.jpg

Photo0792.jpg

Photo0795.jpg

Top work on the welds:

Photo0791.jpg

Alot of people also ask me what that black box in the engine bay with the blue light is. Its a buddyclub racing spec condenser. In other words a fancy earthing kit desighned to stabalise battery voltage allowing for a smoother idle and better general running of the car. Fitted by the previous owner, he said it improved the drivability of the car considerably.

Photo0815.jpg

Photo0883.jpg

C's throttle body, which sticks further out than than the standard throttle body meaning im limited to what induction kits i an use eg cant use j's racing intake, which is rather annoying.

Photo0915.jpg

C's roots type supercharger. Its basically an eaton type supercharger remade by c's to fit the b16b. These superchagers are commonly used by General motors (GM) in America and for those who maybe interested in how it works, basically its a positive displacement superchager consisting of lobed rotors which turn moving air at a fixed rate in pockets towards the intake. Being positive displacement it moves air at a fixed rate meaning that there is no chance of over boosting or boost spikes/surges. Also max boost can be acheived from a very low rpm and there is no lag at all obviously. They do produce alot of heat though which makes them rather inefficient in long runs and especially since its not intercooled then heat production is its achilles heel.

Photo0853.jpg

Photo0857.jpg

One of the rev counter with the carbon surrounds, which are standard. limiter on the car is set at 9k rpm by c's.

Photo0811.jpg

Photo0814.jpg

Photo0767.jpg

Standard ek9 momo steering wheel, which is heads and shoulders over the RS steering wheel i had in the clio.

Photo0780.jpg

JDM recaros-maybe/hopefully getting replaced in a couple of weeks with some Bride goodness if all goes well ;)

Photo0757.jpg

Photo0797.jpg

Uprated map sensor:

CIMG3453-1.jpg

First few jobs were get rid of the spare tyre for some tyre weld, which im not entirely convinced works well. less weight=more speed...

CIMG3187.jpg

Photo0781.jpg

Then i removed the rear seats to reduce weight and since the ek9 has no sound deadening that pretty much stripped out the back.

CIMG3181.jpg

Photo0542-1.jpg

Well preliminary jobs done, and a day into ek9 ownership i was hit with the modding bug. So decided to order a few bits and bobs mainly to tidy the engine bay up. first batch of goods:

Old type r front and rear badges were faded so thankfully fresh type r badges were fitted by the previous owner, which arent cheap so thats one less expenditure.

Photo0750.jpg

Photo0783.jpg

Manditory spoon socks were purchased.:

CIMG3308.jpg

Along with matching resevour caps

CIMG3318.jpg

Poor pic of both fitted:
Photo0862.jpg

Spoon style radiator stay purchased and fitted only for it to fall off on the dual carrage way... b*****d

CIMG3317.jpg

Vtec solenoid cover-just a bit of bling for the engine bay .

CIMG3314.jpg

CIMG3222.jpg

Fitted:

Photo0872.jpg

Single din gauage holder. This fits in your radio slot neatly but im not going to be using a different holder, which will be revealed later.

CIMG3309.jpg

Mugen oil cap

CIMG3312.jpg

Fitted:

Photo0886.jpg

Photo0847.jpg

Custom stainless steel battery and fusebox covers with new nuts and washers.

CIMG3315.jpg

Fuse box cover was fitted along with a funny jdm sticker i bought

Photo0818.jpg

The battary cover on the other hand wont be getting fitted as it cost me a perfectly good battery. Its has a flaw in the desighn really as no matter how you fit it you cant avoid contact with the 2 terminals resulting in shorting the battery cells out, which is exactly what happened. In the process i also got a shock and the terminals started leaking sulphuric acid onto my hand. So i called it a day at that. Next day took the battery back and got a free replacement as it was only a few months old and it had a big hole in one of the terminals, which was leaking acid.

Honda centre cap decals for the centre caps after they get refurbed

CIMG3316.jpg

Purchased a domo to keep me company lol

Photo0788.jpg

Carbing radiator cooling plate. Idea behind this is that when your driving at speed air is directed towards the radiator thus providing better cooling.

CIMG3303.jpg

CIMG3305.jpg

Photo0931.jpg

£80 worth of Anodised tegiwa washers lol. Oh and no their not edible if your wondering lol

CIMG3433-2.jpg

fitted a couple to the boot catch:

Photo0786.jpg

Holding down the grill but you need to use a washer and a nut to hold them in place. went for green but i think i will swap them for purple when i get bored.

Photo0844.jpg

Photo0832.jpg

As far as i can remember the ones for the headlights use a slighly longer hex screw so if anyone is thinking of ordering some bear that in mind as tegiwa imports do 2 different sizes.

Photo0836.jpg

Photo0838.jpg

Photo0898.jpg

updates again:

Didnt think there was much point in having an imported car with uk style plates so one of the first thing i bought were fresh front jap plates.

Went from this:

4001166265_8f84bc828e.jpg

To this:

CIMG3337.jpg

I was lucky enough that the previous owner kept the rear number plate holder that came with the car from japan,which is worth a fair bit of money. So i also ordered a rear jap plate for it:

CIMG3306.jpg

how it looked before:

4001163783_12afdcc868.jpg

Photo0747.jpg

Now:

Photo0785.jpg

Photo0784.jpg

Photo0802.jpg

Next step was i wanted to freshen up the engine bay abit with a good clean and i took the spark plug cover off, which was painted white when i got the car and painted it a gun metal gray/anthracite colour, which is similar in colour to its original colour. All brackets in the engine bay were also taken off, sanded and painted so in VHT anodised gold paint. This is not proper anodising obviously but it give s a similar look.

CIMG3524.jpg

Before, the brackets were oxidising, the plug cover was white and so got dirty very quickly, the paint on the induction kit arm started to flake and there were rusty bolts that were needing replaced with the anodised ones that i bought.

Before:

CIMG3221.jpg

In its previous years the taillight gasket had perished, which is a common thing to happen on the ek shape civics, allowng for water to get into the wheel well causing surface rust but luckily the previous owner caught it early and replaced the gasket before it got really bad. This was bugging me so i got the wheel well resprayed to freshen it up. However the garage ended up spraying it with chip paint, which isnt rally what i asked for but since it was more durable and it still looked much better i didnt make a huge fuss about it.

However before it went to the body shop i removed all the door cards and all plasics from the inside as i didnt want any chance of overspray on them. also it gave me a chance to clean behind the rear door cards, which were alot dirtier than i expected.

060320091259.jpg

Painted:

Photo0952.jpg

Photo0801.jpg

Photo0766.jpg

Another thing i got done at the same time was i got a new wing painted and fitted. If you notice where the wing meets the front bumper, where the paint has chipped and was starting to rust. I didnt want to repair this it as i know rust eventually comes back so i got a new wing in chamionship white from an ek9 but i still decided to get it resprayed aswell as it had one or two stone chips that i didnt want.

Damaged wing:

CIMG3270.jpg

New wing waiting to be resprayed an fitted:

CIMG3281.jpg

New wing sprayed and fitted:

Photo0533-1.jpg

A few other bits i bought:

B series rocker cover painted in white, with a polished top. I got this at the same time as the wing and although it looked nice i decided against fitting it so i just sold it on.

CIMG3258.jpg

Cusco oil catch tank- still to be fitted

CIMG3289.jpg

CIMG3294.jpg

CIMG3299.jpg

Also when i got the car, despite paying a silly amount of money for a 13 year old car it never came with a cd player so i bought a sony headunit, which was nothing fancy but it does the job. Most of the time the music is drowned out by the sound of the superchager and the spoon exhaust so invsting in something more expensive was daft. however instead of placing the cd player on the top i moved it down. This was so i could use the top space for my gauages eventually, which im yet to buy.

Photo0753.jpg

CIMG3176.jpg

So to fill the space for the time being i bought a genuine honda radio delete, which i am going to use as a holder for my gauages.

Photo0760.jpg

Photo0767.jpg

Photo0776.jpg

Photo0938.jpg

Also fitted an led interior light that i had lying around in the garage

Photo0758.jpg

Photo0759.jpg

During:

Sanded down and painted the belt tensioner, which looked rusty before. will give it another lick of paint this week for extra protection

Photo0933.jpg

Took all brackets, induction kit arm, battery seat and plug cover off then primed and painted them

CIMG3437.jpg

CIMG3445.jpg

CIMG3442.jpg

Fitted relay brackets with the anodised washers and new screws

Photo0898.jpg

Photo0868.jpg

Rad expansion bottle bracket painted and fitted usng anodised washers again

Photo0899.jpg

Photo0839.jpg

Battery stay also painted in VHT anodized gold

Photo0918.jpg

Plug cover painted in anthracite paint and fitted

Photo0849.jpg

Photo0819.jpg

After:

Photo0532-1.jpg

Photo0890.jpg

Pay day came and i invested in a Takata racing harness. These retail at £400 each but i got it for a price i couldnt refuse so i snapped them up

CIMG3496.jpg

CIMG3508.jpg

Photo0796.jpg

Photo0777.jpg

Photo0542-1.jpg

Well getting close to the first Honda civic meet in Dundee that i was keen on getting to so i wanted to sort a few minor bits that were nagging me, however i was feeling like crap that week due to catching the man flu but in that petrol head spirit i got the job done lol.

First of all i set about installing my new leather gear gaitor with the red stitching as the old one was torn from one of the corners. This turnd out to be a bigger job than i anticipated.

old one:

Photo0496.jpg

Gear consol removed:

Photo0494.jpg

Took the opportunity to do abit of cleaning;

Photo0495.jpg

New gaitor fitted:

Photo0498.jpg

Photo0944.jpg

Took off the remaining part of the aircon piping. Air con in this part of the country is useless anyway

Photo0748.jpg

Also put on the custom made recaro subframe decals:

Photo0499.jpg

Photo0500.jpg

Bought this earthing/grounding kit to repace the 13 year old, worn out grounding wires. All the lead heads and positive terminal are real gold plated to improve conduction/prevent corrosion.

dab1_1.jpg

Photo0925.jpg

Photo0824.jpg

Maditory zip ties were purchased for good measure. General rule is that if it cant be fixed with zip ties, then its f**ked

Photo0673.jpg

Bonnet struts/lifters- probably one of my favourite mods.

Photo0711.jpg

Photo0871.jpg

Tegiwa shifter extension. Though i think it would work best with a short shifter its height is perfect imo.

bits070.jpg

Photo0751.jpg

The car needed new mats so i invested in some new custom red recaro ones

Photo0691.jpg

Photo0693.jpg

Added the black ice magic tree and finally the car was semi-ready for its first meet.

Photo0948.jpg

A couple of snaps i took at the meet:

Photo0533-1.jpg

Photo0532-1.jpg

Photo0542-1.jpg

Ordered a set of rear trailing arm bushes from honda, which needed replaced as they were starting to wear

Photo0699.jpg

Although i didnt have a problem with cooling and the fan has never came on since i have had the car, I just felt that if the car was gong to see any track action then the stock radiator had to be replaced with an uprated. I managed to pick up an aluminium dual core koyo radiator and samco top radiator hose off of another ek9.org member for a good price so i went for it. Its a Straight fit for the stock one and because its thicker, it has a greater surface area for heat exchage thus providing better cooling. Before it is fitted though it will be getting polished up using a metal polishing kit i got.

Photo0702.jpg

Photo0703.jpg

Photo0704.jpg

Photo0707.jpg

Manfold heat wrap and metal cable ties

Photo0709.jpg

Mugen foot pedals

Photo0714.jpg

Photo0713.jpg

Jdm Bride material, which im planning on using for the head lining

Photo0716.jpg

Photo0717.jpg

Photo0200.jpg

This also came through the door today all the way from Setagaya, Tokyo. Inside were a set of geniune Arc magic winglet decals, costing £25 for the pair, which is extortionate for a couple of decals but then again this is a 'No Compromise' build so it had to be done.

Photo0686.jpg

Photo0687.jpg

Photo0688.jpg

These low entry car ramps came through the door yesterday. Should make working on the car alot easier.

Photo0723.jpg

Photo0724.jpg

Photo0725.jpg

Finally i received my 2.5" jdm resonated decat. I was never a massive fan of stupidly raspy exhausts so i went for the resonated decat, which is meant to be moderate in terms of loudness and raspyness. I was very impressed with the quality of the decat as a whole and especially with the quality of the welds. Also it came with new gaskets and all bolts aswell, which was a nice bonus.

Photo0728.jpg

Photo0731.jpg

Photo0730.jpg

Photo0733.jpg

Photo0735.jpg

Photo0737.jpg

look what the postman brought for me this morning :D . At first i wasnt sure what it was because of the size of the box and the fact that it didnt wegh much at all. turned out to be my new induction kit :cool:

Photo0954.jpg

This thing is bloody massive. Its made completely from carbon fibre so is very light and strong. Really is a work of art for an induction kit and craftsmanship is second to none aswell. Will reserve my judgement of how it works when i try it out but the desighn looks spot on tbh.

Photo0958.jpg

Photo0976.jpg

Photo0979.jpg

Photo0962.jpg

Photo0964.jpg

Photo0966.jpg

Photo0967.jpg

Photo0968.jpg

Photo0969.jpg

Photo0970.jpg

Photo0975.jpg

Photo0974.jpg

Photo0972.jpg

Photo0982.jpg

Photo0981.jpg

I decided to polish up my koyo radiator before i fit it this week to freshen it up.

I picked up the polishing kit from halfords for £20, which has worked a treat so far.

Photo1023.jpg

Photo1022.jpg

Photo1067.jpg

Here is a 50/50 shot where i started polshing the bottom right hand side. This was at stage 2 of 3

Photo0984.jpg

Photo0986.jpg

Then after stage 3 of 3 it started looking much better. pictures dont do it justice as it looks like a mirror in the flesh.

Photo1000.jpg

Photo1007.jpg

Photo1004.jpg

Photo0997.jpg

Photo0995.jpg

Photo1026.jpg

Got some Vht red wrinckle paint and nitro mors paint stripper ready to do the rocker cover this week

Photo1066.jpg

New polished rocker cover nuts to go on after the rocker cover is repainted.

Photo1073.jpg

Old nuts were looking abit dull so they had to be replaced.

Photo1072.jpg

Photo1070.jpg

Black anodised washers and hex screws to replace the rusted screws holding the lips onto the bumpers

Photo1082.jpg

Messy wires in the boot were sorted with the use of some jdm cable ties lol.

Photo1044.jpg

Photo1046.jpg

Photo1049.jpg

last night i also started stripping the car as im going to re-underseal it this week. When it was first imported the car was fully undersealed but im going to do the whole car again properly for peace of mind. Im not looking forward to it as its a very messy job but it has to be done i suppose

Front bumper off and in the garage.

Photo1085.jpg

Photo1083.jpg

Screws for healights, grill and wings taken out

Photo1120.jpg

headlights off

Photo1113.jpg

finally grill off and front end is stripped ready for undersealing

Photo1118.jpg

going to polish up the radiator cooling plate aswell while its off tonight to get it looking fresh again

Photo1119.jpg

Then i moved onto the rear end. removed the bumper and rear fog light and bracket then the taillights

Photo1053.jpg

Photo1054.jpg

Got rid of the horrid rear fog light and its rusty bracket which wont be going back. im going to see if can wire my fogs into my tail lights similar to normal ek's

Photo1037.jpg

Stuck the bumpers away in the garage for the moment.

Photo1050.jpg

Car is coming up for 3000 miles since its last oil change so ordered 5litres of 5 w40 silkolene pro s engine oil with a hamp oil filter for the oil change which will be done this week hopefully. Need to go to honda tomorrow and get a some coolant and radiator flush aswell

Photo1068.jpg

Oh and last friday a bride zeta 3 drivers seat has been ordered :D. Also i will hopefully be ordering a bride super low seat rail from japan for it when it gets here.

lkllklkl.jpg

lklkl.jpg

I stripped down the whole car to get it reundersealed so since i already had my bumpers off i took the headlights and tail lights off and put them in my room so they dont get damaged. headlight go for £250 second hand so last thing i want to do is damage them

Photo1129.jpg

Then i removed the sideskirts and there was a fair bit of dirt, tar and stones that it picked up over the years, which obviously needed cleaning.

Photo1228.jpg

Photo1231.jpg

front wings removed and moved inside so they dont get damaged or knocked about

Photo1377.jpg

Once all the bumpers and pannels were off the car i took them into the back garden to give them a proper clean along with the aem long arm, arch liners, spoon exhaust and wheels.

Photo1354.jpg

Photo1355.jpg

Photo1364.jpg

Photo1365.jpg

Photo1378.jpg

Photo1380.jpg

Bumpers cleaned and i set about replacing the horrid rusty screws with nice new anodized ones.

Photo1412.jpg

I originally bought black ones for them but i thought about a change to a different colour

Photo1422.jpg

Photo1423.jpg

I ended up sticking with just black ones though.

Photo1424.jpg

Photo1430.jpg

Photo1432.jpg

Photo1436.jpg

Photo1437.jpg

Photo1438.jpg

Then i took the bumpers and sideskirts inside for a hand polish. i also dressing the black trim on the front bumper

Photo1494.jpg

Photo1501.jpg

Photo1496.jpg

So i jacked up the car and took the wheels off and removed my spoon exhaust as i didnt want any underseal on it and also i wanted to polish it up and get it looking brand new again

Photo1241.jpg

The exhaust bolts and springs, which i cleaned up and polished.

Photo1243.jpg

Photo1259.jpg

cleaned and polished

Photo1658.jpg

Photo1659.jpg

greased up ready for assembling when the spoon exhaust goes back on

Although the spoon came up well there were still a couple of tiny marks that i wanted to remove so i took it inside for a polish with the polishing kit i got and it came up better than new

Photo1756.jpg

Photo1755.jpg

after

Photo1937.jpg

Photo1938.jpg

Photo1942.jpg

Photo1944.jpg

Photo1945.jpg

Photo1946.jpg

Photo1953.jpg

Photo1958.jpg

Photo1964.jpg

Photo1965.jpg

My tools for the job

Photo1294.jpg

Photo1237.jpg

The undersealant i used, which worked really well

Photo1300.jpg

Also managed to get a shot of a steam cleaner from my mate ben, which i used along with white spirit and autoglym machine degreaser to get the majority of the old underseal off, which was a pain to do.

Photo1239.jpg

Photo1517.jpg

I always like to work on a clean car so first thing i done was i age the car a wash and dry.

Photo1320.jpg

Photo1321.jpg

After i gave the car a good clean i was very happy with the fact that under all its clothes (wings, bumpers and sideskirts) its infact a very clean shell with no rust issues at all, which was confidence inspiring.

Photo1522.jpg

Photo1523.jpg

Photo1525.jpg

Photo1528.jpg

Photo1532.jpg

Photo1584.jpg

Then i moved onto the rear arches and cleaned them and then started scrubbing them down with a combination of white spirit and engine degreaser and steam, which got the majority of the old underseal off. Any old underseal that remained was rewarded for doing its job by staying on. I also removed the fuel sender cover and who ever undersealed it before never removed it as there were white patches behind it :mad:

Photo1610.jpg

fuel sender cover cleaned and dressed

Photo1680.jpg

Before

Photo1247.jpg

Then with alot of scubbing, sweating and swearing it started to come off

Photo1519.jpg

Photo1521.jpg

Photo1560.jpg

Photo1561.jpg

Photo1564.jpg

Photo1567.jpg

Then i washed the arches one final time to get ride of any loose particals and let it dry over night so i could start with applying the underseal the next day.

I painted the rear calipers and anti roll bar yellow the night before then the next day i masked up areas where i didint want any underseal to keep the job neat

Photo1870.jpg

Photo1871.jpg

Photo1872.jpg

Then i gloved up as its horrible stuff to get on your hands and got cracking

Photo1876.jpg

Photo1875.jpg

Photo1874.jpg

Photo1877.jpg

Photo1879.jpg

Photo1880.jpg

Photo1885.jpg

Photo1892.jpg

Photo1895.jpg

Photo1900.jpg

Photo1901.jpg

I also undersealed insde the rear quarter pannels as thats a very common place for rust to start on ek and eg civics.

Photo1903.jpg

Photo1905.jpg

Photo1934.jpg

Photo1930.jpg

Photo1935.jpg

Again i painted the calipers and the underseal on the washer bottle came off with a wipe down with white spirit and also the car was not resting on the wheel in the pic above. it was on the jack but i put it there incase the jack failed for some reason.

Photo1968.jpg

Photo1969.jpg

Photo1973.jpg

Then i covered the car up over night to let it dry. Overall i gave it 3 thick coats and let it dry for 5 days. i wasnt insured on teh car and had the clio to run around in so i wasnt bothered. the weather was amazing aswell and didnt rain once which was a bonus.
Photo1927.jpg

Photo1929.jpg

Also undersealed behind the front wings for added protection

Photo2147.jpg

Photo2148.jpg

I made sure to cover everything and then once it was done it looked like this

Photo1974.jpg

Photo1976.jpg

Photo1977.jpg

Photo1984.jpg

Photo1985.jpg

Photo1978.jpg

Photo1988.jpg

Photo2009.jpg

Photo2010.jpg

Went on another shopping spree at halfords and autosave and picked up a few bits as i had vouchers that i needed to use.

Fuse for demister as old one blew
Photo1213.jpg

Old one

Photo2130.jpg

Replaced

Photo2127.jpg

Halfords were doing a buy one get one free on cleaning stuff and i needed some paint anyways

Photo1148.jpg

Got my oil through the door from opie oils. Top quality service and the oil arrived the next day and it was well packaged

Photo1180.jpg

Photo1188.jpg

Went for 5w 40 silkolene titan which is the new name for the silkolene pro s, which is now discontnued. Not exactly cheap at £54 for 5 litres but i dont like to skimp on something as important as oil. in the long term i think its worth the extra money imo.

Photo1197.jpg

old vs new

Photo1214.jpg

plus i ordered a hamp oil filter and new washer

Photo1225.jpg

Drove the car onto the ramp. Started it up for a few mins to get the oil warm. switched it off and let it cool down for 20 mins. Then i removed sump plug and let the old oil drain for 20 mins. once it was drained i removed the old filter from behind the engine and cleaned its place for the new one to go in after i oiled its gasket for ease of removal at the next oil/filter change.

Photo2035.jpg

Cleaned the sump plug, which was an m factory magnetic one installed by the previous owner.

Photo2037.jpg

Photo2039.jpg

Then i refitted the sump lug with the new washer. filled it up with 4 litres of oil, rolled it off the ramps onto an even surface checked the oil level and started here up for a few mins. let her cool down and checked the oil again and topped it up.

Eventhough the standard ek9 braking system worked fine, i wanted more. Most people would be happy with the spoon twin block set up but i still wanted to take it further so i got in touch with a machinist on the ek9 forum who has been making brake kits for the last 15 years so i got chatting with him about caliper choices and in the end i decided to go for the daddy of all brake kits and went for porsche 911 4 pot monoblock brembo calipers with 312mm aem 2 piece front discs lol. These things are just mad but thats exactly what i wanted.

Photo1639.jpg

Photo1640.jpg

Photo1645.jpg

Photo1650.jpg

Photo1651.jpg

Only thing was that unlike the spoon calipers there was absolutely no way the porsche ones would fit under 15" wheels and even with 16" it was a push so i was getting ready to send them off to the machinist in england and then i saw a set of minted desmond regamasters in 15" that i just had to have so now i wont be able to use this porsche set up as they don’t fit under the wheels. A few days later my new wheels came though the door and I couldn’t be happier. I had no intention to buy new wheels this year and i was just going to get mines refurbed or get a set of cheap 98 spec itr wheels but the reggas were mint and in my fitment so i couldnt resist. They are very rare to find in this condition and in a good fitment/ offset as they are discontinued. Probably my favourite wheel of all time so im really happy i got them. I sacrificed a monstrous brake set up for them so that shows how much i love these wheels. They are forged wheels just like the rays te37 and volk ce28n's. Spoon rebranded the regamasters and painted them anodised black but i prefer them in the original white.

Photo1178.jpg

Took them outside for a wash first of all.

Photo1447.jpg

Then brought them into the garage for a polish with autoglym srp and paint renovator and sealed with autoglym egp. also i used some autoglym tar remover aswell to remove some tar spots. They came up really well i thought after spending about 3 hours on them

Photo1461.jpg

Photo1466.jpg

Photo1691.jpg

Photo1693.jpg

Photo1692.jpg

i used cotton wool buds and srp to clean the hard to reach areas which worked a treat

Photo1687.jpg

Photo1689.jpg

Photo1690.jpg

Photo1695.jpg

Photo1696.jpg

Photo1708.jpg

i also got anti theft valve caps aswell, which is a nice touch imo

Photo1705.jpg

Thats the key for them

Photo1713.jpg

Photo1718.jpg

With these wheels you cant use standard wheel nuts as you risk damaging them so i got some forged rays engineering lug nuts in anodised black. i would have went for red but red lug nuts fade eventually go pink, which i didnt want.

Photo1668.jpg

Photo1663.jpg

Since these are forged i was interested in seeing the difference in weight compared to standard so i weighed them.

Photo1745.jpg

10x rays nuts

Photo1746.jpg

10x stock ones

Photo1747.jpg

Not an awful lot in it really so if you were wanting to buy the rays lug nuts to save weight then your probably best off spending the £115 somewhere else.

I also decided that i wasnt going to use the mugen icebox so i bought an aem v1 to go on instead for a cleaner look

Photo1217.jpg

Photo1219.jpg

Photo1194.jpg

It wasnt going to be a straight fit as my throttle body sticks further out than a normal b16b would so i had to cut bits of it off. Chopping up a £200 induction kit does make you feel abit sick but it had to be done.

Photo1740.jpg

Photo1738.jpg

The long arms i bought was also a slightly larger diameter than the short arm i had on before, which should allow for better breathing

Photo1742.jpg

Anyways started cutting

Photo1823.jpg

Still a wee bit left to go

Photo1826.jpg

So i decided to split it from the middle. only problem with the aem v1 is that it cant be split unlike the aem v2 so i split it in half so that i could make it a short arm if it ever gets a bit flooded over here so i dont end up sucking in water

Photo1827.jpg

Photo1846.jpg

Photo1849.jpg

done

Photo1857.jpg

all the bits taken off

Photo1869.jpg

Once that was done i took it into the garage for a polish

Photo1867.jpg

old one back on for the now

Photo1868.jpg

It needed a good polish so i put it to the side to get polished along with a few other things i was going to polish up and since i got hold of a higher powered drill i decided to give the radiator another blast with it too.

Photo1168.jpg

Photo1169.jpg

Just a quick going over and it started looking much better

Photo1172.jpg

Photo1173.jpg

Photo1175.jpg

Photo2034.jpg

Photo2032.jpg

Got rid of the 6x9's in the back as i coldnt hear them anyways and were just dead weight to me.

Photo1594.jpg

Photo1681.jpg

Photo1767.jpg

i needed to install my koyo radiator so i thought that i would drain all the old coolant out and fill her up with fresh coolant. I stay about 5 minutes down the road from the honda garage and when i asked them for honda type 2 coolant they said they dont sell it, which i found rather retarded and annoying because its actually called "HONDA TYPE 2 COOLANT". So i had to go to the next nearest dealership which was in perth as i didnt want to use anything other than honda type 2 coolant as thats what was in my car before. After a 50 mile trip i picked it up

Photo1631.jpg

Photo1628.jpg

took off the fuel sender cover

Photo1610.jpg

Then i cleaned and dressed it

Photo1680.jpg

Then i went on another mad shopping trip and picked up a few more goodies.

Fully adjustable Bc racing coilovers, which are yet to be fitted. only heard positive things about these from scooby, evo and ek9 forums so im looking forward to fitting them.

Photo1771.jpg

Photo1768.jpg

Photo1779.jpg

Photo1780.jpg

Photo1785.jpg

Photo1795.jpg

Photo1797.jpg

Photo1838.jpg

Also bought a beaks tie bar in gold, which is yet to be fitted. i was planning on buying a tegiwa imports one for £70 but decided to spend a wee bit more and get the real deal.

Photo1803.jpg

Although i bought new bonnet dampers/lifters a couple of months ago i fancied an upgrade to tein ones.

Photo1808.jpg

Photo1805.jpg

Photo1811.jpg

Photo1817.jpg

Photo1835.jpg

TRS tow strap. i have allways loved the look these and much prefer then to the metal ones. Got it in green to go with the takata harness

Photo1845.jpg

Althoough the supercharger housing was painted not to long ago by the previous owner, it wasnt the

Charged Superleggera
thanks guys. lol mikey studnet loan i get for the entire year barely covers the cost of the wheels. dont know where the rest of my pictures went but will see if i can post them again

Charged Superleggera
Althoough the previous owner painted the supercharger housing it wasnt the best job and was starting to flake

Photo1866.jpg

So i stripped it down with paint stripper and polished the lettering and repainted it with vht high temp engine paint

Photo2021.jpg

Photo2022.jpg

Photo2023.jpg

Photo2025.jpg

Photo2027.jpg

Photo2030.jpg

while i was at it i polished up a few other bits in the engine bay

Photo2028.jpg

Photo2029.jpg

Photo2031.jpg

I then set about removing the old radiator and top hose so that i could fit my new koyo radiator

Opened up the drain plug from below the radiator.

Photo2040.jpg

Removed resvoire bottle and unplugged the fan

Photo2045.jpg

Photo2047.jpg

Unplugged hoses and radiator came out.

Photo2044.jpg

Photo2052.jpg

Photo2048.jpg

Then i drained the coolant left inside the engine by undoing this 19mm bolt behind the manifold

Photo2049.jpg

Photo2051.jpg

camparison of how thick the koyo is compared to the stock rad

Photo2059.jpg

i never got a fan with the koyo so had to use my old one so i swapped everything over and fitted the samco top hose to the radiator

Photo2072.jpg

Photo2074.jpg

Then i heat wrapped the manifold. i tried to be as neat as possible and took my time.

Photo2061.jpg

Photo2085.jpg

Since the radiator was out i decided to respray the part of the engine bay in some championship white paint i got mixed up, which freshened it up alot. so i covered up the engine and started

Photo2068.jpg

Photo2064.jpg

Photo2065.jpg

Photo2069.jpg

Photo2070.jpg

I let the engine bay dry over night and the next day i started fitting the hoses to the engine which proved to be abit of a b*****d. i ended up having to remove the distributer to undo the old hose and fit the samco one but got there in the end

Photo2081.jpg

Photo2083.jpg

Photo2084.jpg

Now everything in place and the new rad was looking great. all i had to do was to fill up with coolant.

Photo2090.jpg

Photo2092.jpg

As soon as i added the first litre of coolant i was horrified to see that the radiator was damaged and was leaking really badly from the bottom. so put a bottle under the radiator to try to collect the coolant and within less than a 2 mins i had filled just under half of a 2 litre bottle. At this point i was about to explode with anger as the guy obviously tried to pull a fast one on me by trying to sell me a a duff radiator. luckily my mate came over at that point, which kind of diffused the situation. I bought it from a guy on the ek9 forum called rich777 and when emailed him about it he didnt want to hear it and denied that it was damaged and said that i should get it repaired by someone who welds aluminium. What an absolute prick. I dont usuallly like to name and shame but things like this boil my piss. Rich777 AVOID!!!

Photo2094.jpg

Photo2096.jpg

Photo2097.jpg

So i took it off and stuck my old one back on

Photo2098.jpg

Photo2100.jpg

The rocker cover needed a painting badly and i have been planning on getting it done for a while. so first i took it off

Photo2101.jpg

Photo2106.jpg

Photo2105.jpg

Gave it a quick wash

Photo2108.jpg

Applied paint stripper to get it back down to the bare metal

Photo2109.jpg

Photo2110.jpg

Photo2112.jpg

I then polished up the honda and vtec lettering with the drill and polishing kit

Photo2113.jpg

Photo2114.jpg

Applied vaselene to the lettering so that it comes off easier when the paint dries

Photo2115.jpg

Photo2116.jpg

Photo2118.jpg

I used vht high temp wrinckle paint. when you first apply it goes glossy but with time and heat it wrinckles giving that nice oem finish. i applied 3 thick coats and allowed it to touch dry over night before i put it infront of the radiator for hours. also covered up the plug holes for an oem finish.

Photo2120.jpg

Photo2121.jpg

Photo2131.jpg

Photo2133.jpg

Photo2132.jpg

Photo2139.jpg

Photo2141.jpg

Photo2142.jpg

Photo2155.jpg

Now its dry and ready to be put on

Photo2167.jpg

Photo2169.jpg

The paint on the lettering came off easily thanks to the vaseline

Photo2170.jpg

Photo2171.jpg

Photo2172.jpg

Photo2181.jpg

Photo2176.jpg

Photo2178.jpg

fitted along with the new chrome nuts

Photo2185.jpg

Photo2186.jpg

arc winglets painted satin black along with oem tie bar painted orange

Photo2153.jpg

Well the civic meet in edinburgh was only a day and bit away so if i wanted to make it i had to get the car back together. started putting it back together with the help of my wee bro who was a big help when it came to fitting the sideskirts so they dont get damaged

Before fitting

Photo1994.jpg

Spoon n1 fitted back on the car

Photo2000.jpg

Photo1995.jpg

Photo2003.jpg

Photo2004.jpg

Photo2007.jpg

Photo1830.jpg

tail lights on

Photo2144.jpg

rear bumper on

Photo2160.jpg

Photo2162.jpg

sideksirts on

Photo2158.jpg

Photo2159.jpg

front wings on

Photo2157.jpg

Reggas fitted

Photo2163.jpg

Photo2165.jpg

Photo2164.jpg

The meet was the next day and i still had loads of things to do like fit the aem and oil catch tankand tidy up the wires, which looked a mess.

Photo2137.jpg

I ended up going to bed at 4.30am and woke up at 8 to finish here off. managed to get there in the end even though it was a massive rush

A few snaps at the meet

Photo2229.jpg

Photo2230.jpg

Photo2231.jpg

Photo2197.jpg

Photo2192.jpg

P1012974.jpg

P1012931.jpg

P1012932.jpg

P1012916.jpg

P1012869.jpg

P1012867.jpg

P1012875.jpg

P1012870.jpg

P1012873.jpg

P1012878.jpg

P1012880.jpg

P1012884.jpg

P1012853.jpg

P1012854.jpg

P1012864.jpg

P1012858.jpg

P1012743.jpg

P1012744.jpg

Thanks

Firas

Absolutely f**king awesome!! I very rarely actually bother to read these threads but I Daniel was moaning he couldn't get it to load so I came to have a look and I'm glad I did.

But wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy a Ferrari?! LOL! The amount of money you must have spent there dude! Mental. £80 on bolts/washers?! :D

Charged Superleggera
Cheers revels. haha yeh its had a silly amount spent on it in a very short period of time but im planning on keeping this for a while anyways and so i think its worth doing it right the first time round. Next on the list is the remap, which on its own with the new hondata s300 ecu will be around 1k lol but tbh for that you get alot of interesting facilities like launch control and full throttle shifts, aswell as data logging if you ever wanted to tap into any information during a race. Once the clio is sold is i will buy a wee cheap runaround and the ek9 will get garaged and used in weekends and in the summer.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I really really enjoyed reading the thread, but sadly, I won't be visiting again as my laptop has exploded.

sent from my typewriter using ink.

Charged Superleggera
lol daniel..sorry guys, should have broken the thread up abit but wanted to keep it together. Was a bloody pain writting the damn thing in one go. Think ive got carpal tunnel now lol, wrists are aching.

Mk5 golf gti
keeps crashing for me too lol

absolutley awesome, may have to go buy a s2000 an go the same way :)

Trophy #490
Crashed three times, but who cares it was worth it!

Absolutely brilliant read, and the car looks amazing. It's the attention to detail and the no expense spared ethos of the project that is a credit to you. Unfortunately it makes me want an EK9 even more though! What are they like to drive? As good as people say they are? I've loved them ever since I was 14/15, just need to own one at some point!

Charged Superleggera
Crashed three times, but who cares it was worth it!

Absolutely brilliant read, and the car looks amazing. It's the attention to detail and the no expense spared ethos of the project that is a credit to you. Unfortunately it makes me want an EK9 even more though! What are they like to drive? As good as people say they are? I've loved them ever since I was 14/15, just need to own one at some point!

Thanks mate, im glad you enjoyed it. In terms of driving, ek9's are simply epic machines. Everything about them is just so sharp and so raw and evertime i take it out i never feel like coming back home. I think people get disappointed when they either drive a bad example (and beleive me there is more of them than good ones out there) or they have stupidly high expectations of it. If you ever go test drive one mate sure its a good one and remember its only a 1.6 so dont expect it to be a supercar eater. Plus these cars were never made for straight line speed and i would say as a good comparison is to go and drive a good drivers car like a 1.6 mx5 and then jump in an ek9 and see the difference. Then you will understand what im talking about. when i drove my mates mx5 it felt dead and where the ek9 revs to 9k rpm easily and still feels like it wants to keep going the mx5 gets out of breath at 6k rpm.

koi

Audi S1
Firefox - no crashes :rasp:

Spent a fair wack on that then! Nice to see Domo make an appearance lol

Looking good but I preferred the red/white wheels

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
WOW! :eek:!!!!!!!! :hail:!!!!!!

Want! A lot! Hero!

Erm, I don't like the wheels though! :eek:

Are you going to bring it along to a meet mate?

Turbos.
That took me about half an hour to read, very informative!

Good to see you getting your hands dirty, nice work.

I am a fan of OEM though, so not sure if i'm keen on the mods... especially the BC coilovers which IMO, are a bit cheap to be using on a Type R.

Regardless, you've done a thorough job and should be proud.

Jeez, well done mate. Great work on the EK9. Makes me miss my old EK4 HB.

The regamasters are a treat, and the miracle x-bar is pure p**n ;)

Keep up the good work!

Homo spec mazda
This is actually full on epic, I love EK9's and Yours is amazing, cant wait to see where you go next with it.